Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GPA: 3.5
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: UNC MAC Class of 2013 [#permalink]
If you look at the Summer Schedule, which is posted on the MAC website, you'll see that two classes take place in the summer at the same time in the morning and afternoon. For example, in the first few weeks you see that there is a Financial Accounting and Managerial Accounting class in the Morning and Afternoon. Half of us will take Financial in the morning and the other half will take managerial. The second MOD will be Financial Accounting and Financial Management, once again morning and afternoon.

We don't take one class all day but both. Half of us in the morning and the other half in the afternoon and vice versa.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys! I've decided not to attend UNC for grad school, but I went here for undergrad and stuck around to work for a year, so I'm pretty familiar with the area, and I thought I would give my two cents on housing!

Don't be afraid to look at options on north campus. It's farther in mileage, but there are many more buses coming down MLK, and since so many students live up that way, they come every ten or fifteen minutes in the morning.

Carrboro, our sister city to the west, is a great option for less expensive housing. There are a lot of small homes available here, and more of these will be available this late in the game. Unfortunately, a lot of students plan out their housing for the coming year 6 to 12 months in advance, so the options are slightly limited. Carrboro is also access by many buses and is flat and very bikable to campus.

Glenn Lenox is cheap and there are buses running from there. You will go up a HUGE hill on the way to campus, so biking isn't really an option unless you're a champ.

There are a few good websites to check out too. I can't post them yet, but they are chapel hill rent dot com, cool blue rentals dot com, among a few others.

If you have any questions about the area, UNC, specific housing options, or Tarheel basketball, just let me know!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey Guys,

Have you heard anything from the program at all since you sent in the deposit? I know they cashed my check but I didn't get an email or anything regarding what the next steps were.

Did anyone sign up for summer classes yet? This whole process has been extremely confusing which is surprising because the application was so clear and organized. Any info you guys may have would be really helpful!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
GPA: 3.5
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Richarde19 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Have you heard anything from the program at all since you sent in the deposit? I know they cashed my check but I didn't get an email or anything regarding what the next steps were.

Did anyone sign up for summer classes yet? This whole process has been extremely confusing which is surprising because the application was so clear and organized. Any info you guys may have would be really helpful!

Hi Richard,

The next step is to register with UNC Onyen (student id card/email etc) so that you can billed and be officially registered.
https://onyen.unc.edu/cgi-bin/unc_id/servicess (you'll need your student pin id for this)

I'd suggest you get in touch with Ms Stacie Hewitt if you haven't received any email or sorts.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Richarde19 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I agree about noticing the confusion/lack of communication during this process. As of now the only things I have received are the Financial Aid Information email from Susan Brooks and two more emails to (1) send my official transcript and (2) set up my Onyen so that I could get my UNC email address and be registered for classes. Aside from doing both of those, I have filled out my FAFSAs and submitted my course waiver request form. I think all that's left is to do is the Supplemental Application and the MPNs for loans, since it sounds to me like they might register us for summer classes automatically. Is that about where everyone else is at in the process?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
dailyomnivore wrote:
Richarde19 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I agree about noticing the confusion/lack of communication during this process. As of now the only things I have received are the Financial Aid Information email from Susan Brooks and two more emails to (1) send my official transcript and (2) set up my Onyen so that I could get my UNC email address and be registered for classes. Aside from doing both of those, I have filled out my FAFSAs and submitted my course waiver request form. I think all that's left is to do is the Supplemental Application and the MPNs for loans, since it sounds to me like they might register us for summer classes automatically. Is that about where everyone else is at in the process?

Yup. That's where I'm at. I'm in Chapel Hill apartment hunting for the next few days so I figured I might meet with Susan in person.

As far as confirmation for payment of the deposit, I hadn't heard anything so I emailed Stacie and she confirmed that they had received it. Try emailing her if you're worried about it.

As far as onyen, I did the initial signup and it said that it was being reviewed? I don't know how to go about getting my email account now, or is the onyen my email account?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks everyone. When I signed up for the Onyen all that was sent back to me was the heel mail so I'm guessing they will communicate with us through that?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm getting pretty frustrated by the lack of communication. I tried to get my Onyen set up but the system couldn't find my UNC PID. I tried to get information about insurance for us for the summer but there is nothing posted and I am going to be leaving my job soon. This is stuff that really needs to be sent to us instead of pointing us to someone else's website.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Scott

I totally agree with you, it's a big deal to be leaving a job for this program and the fact that there have been 3 other people complaining about lack of communication makes me worried about the decision I made. It is as if they expect us just to know what to do next. It would have been nice to recieve a mailer from them with all information we needed like a college would for an undergraduate student or at least honor the fact that they received our $500 deposit. It's extremely disappointing especially with the amount of money we will all be paying to attend the program.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I called over there and spoke with Gina and it seems that the first thing we need to do is create our ONYEN, which I had no idea about.

https://onyen.unc.edu/cgi-bin/unc_id/services

You can use the above link to go to the site. If you don't know your PID, there is a link you can click to find it out. If like me, the system will not tell you your PID, call 919-962-6568 and the PID support will give you your number. Once you create your ONYEN, go to my.ad.unc.edu to create your UNC email.

That will get the ball rolling. After that, I'm not sure what to do. I am going to call Pearce and Pearce to find out about insurance.

Scott
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Hi all,

Richarde, I totally agree about expecting a mailer. This all feels very self-guided, but I keep thinking maybe this is the difference between undergrad and grad school?

Like Scott said, to create the Onyen you need a PID number. When I went to the Onyen creation website (https://onyen.unc.edu/cgi-bin/unc_id/services) my PID wouldn't generate, but after emailing Gina Wooldridge she told me they are having problems with the system and gave me my PID via email. Then I used my PID to log into the same site and create my Onyen, and later that day I received an email saying my HeelMail account had been created. After you have your Onyen you can follow the link to heelmail.unc.edu and it lets you choose what you want your email address to be. So now I have an Onyen, a PID and a UNC email address.

I scheduled a phone interview and talked with Susan Brooks today (who I think is super helpful) about the next steps in the financial aid process. She said that they're having some issues with student information being entered correctly into their system, i.e. this is the reason some students (like myself) haven't received our financial aid award/loan eligibility status. She says once they work through this kink they can access our FAFSA information and we should receive an email pointing us to our financial aid award/loan eligibility.

Hope that helps! Other than that I guess they schedule us for classes and we show up on May 18 for orientation?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dailyomnivore wrote:
Hi all,

Richarde, I totally agree about expecting a mailer. This all feels very self-guided, but I keep thinking maybe this is the difference between undergrad and grad school?

Like Scott said, to create the Onyen you need a PID number. When I went to the Onyen creation website (https://onyen.unc.edu/cgi-bin/unc_id/services) my PID wouldn't generate, but after emailing Gina Wooldridge she told me they are having problems with the system and gave me my PID via email. Then I used my PID to log into the same site and create my Onyen, and later that day I received an email saying my HeelMail account had been created. After you have your Onyen you can follow the link to heelmail.unc.edu and it lets you choose what you want your email address to be. So now I have an Onyen, a PID and a UNC email address.

I scheduled a phone interview and talked with Susan Brooks today (who I think is super helpful) about the next steps in the financial aid process. She said that they're having some issues with student information being entered correctly into their system, i.e. this is the reason some students (like myself) haven't received our financial aid award/loan eligibility status. She says once they work through this kink they can access our FAFSA information and we should receive an email pointing us to our financial aid award/loan eligibility.

Hope that helps! Other than that I guess they schedule us for classes and we show up on May 18 for orientation?

Thanks, because of this I decided to brave the wilderness that is my spam folder. Sure enough the UNC live email account creation email was there. I think I'm all caught up now.

Just spend 3 days in Chapel Hill. LOVE it. Can't wait to move up there. Also drove through Raleigh and spent last night in Charlotte. Lots of great places to work in NC.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everyone!

My name's Kelsey. I'll be attending UNC's MAC next year (starting this summer) and I've been looking and looking for housing and today I came across this!

(arg apparently I can't post urls because I haven't been a member for 5 days....but go to chapelhillrent and then advance search by keyword for 350 Whitehead Rd)

It is legitimately right across from campus so you can walk or bike. It's new with a washer/dryer, security system, and even kitchen appliances. If anyone is interested (or if you know someone who would be) please let me know asap! I am trying to gauge interest before renting a whole 5-bedroom house!

Looking forward to meeting you all :)

Kelsey
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi! I'm starting the MAC program at UNC in May along with everyone else. I went to undergrad at UNC and currently work in Chapel Hill. Someone pointed out earlier not to ignore the apartments on MLK and I wanted to further reiterate this point. The buses travel down this road during the heavy traffic times of day every ten minutes and they will take you all the way to the b-school. Shadowood is an older complex but is heavily populated with graduate students.

Chapel View is also a very affordable option and where I will be living. They have 1 and 2 bedroom apartments and all utilities are included in the price including internet and cable. Along with that there is free printing services, a gym, a pool, and tanning beds along with a lounge to rent movies from for free. Directly beside Chapel View is a sister property, Chapel Ridge whose amenities you can use. I wouldnt suggest it for housing purposes because it is very much an undergraduate students complex with noise throughout the night.

Today I spoke with Stacie Hewett as I received an email that I should go ahead and register for all summer and fall courses through the registrar's office. She confirmed that the MAC Program would take care of the registration process. UNC's websites are fairly unorganized when it comes to setting up ONYEN's and obtaining a PID number. Once you get this done things will become much much easier. Connect Carolina is a good place to look for all your information. It will let you know the status of your financial aid application, when you're registered for classes, and when the time comes your class schedule. The website is cc.unc.edu

It would be in your best interest if the MAC program is anything like Undergrad to start playing around on this website to get an idea of how it works as you will use it to register for classes and on the status of other important issues.

Also, its really important to remember when searching for housing that proximity to campus doesn't necessarily mean better access at Carolina. From Carrboro, the bus rides tend to be longer and the schedules are more spaced out. Really look at the Chapel Hill Transit bus schedules when picking a place if you will rely on public transportation. Our public transportation is really awesome and reliable you just need to know what you're signing up for in advance or it can be very frustrating.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How's everyone doing getting ready for the start? Getting pretty close!

One of my good friends from undergrad got into the MAC program, and my old roommate is going to Duke for grad school. We got a 3/2 at Evergreens at Mt. Moriah. A little further from UNC, but nothing insane for a commute. Mostly all grad students living there which was a big selling point for us, along with the nice property and great reviews of management.

I somehow managed to forget my Onyen password already so I need to get that figured out so I can download the immunizations form so my doctor can sign off on it.

All in all, ready to get started and move in to the apartment on May 10th.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
random question - has anyone tried to join the UNC facebook network? I tried 3 or 4 times and it added me to a different UNC (National University of Cordoba) instead. I specifically selected the network called "The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill", so I'm guessing it's a facebook bug, but I'm wondering if it's on my end somehow? (Maybe I need to use a different browser or something?)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
Send PM
What is everyone's age here in this forum?

I applied late and actually just took the GMAT and sent it to UNC. Waiting to hear back from them. I got a 690 on the GMAT which was my first time taking it so I'm guessing thats alright.

The main thing I'm worried about though is my lack of work experience. How much work experience did you guys have? I've been looking for entry level accounting positions or any "business" related entry level positions but so far no good. And I really need to get one because my long term goal once this MAC program is finished is to apply to a full fledge MBA program. Its kinda frustrating cuz it seems like the only way to get your foot in the door is if you already had the connections which I don't due to my completely different background.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts