Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
GMAT 1: 560 Q39 V28
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: 740....a humble debrief [#permalink]
Good debrief!! Really inspiring to see how good you managed to get over the initial 30 mins delay and did not let it affect your composure. All the best for apps.

Ameya
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
you totally deserved it!!!!! congrats!!! g'luck with the apps
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
great score...congratulations for the same...
could you please let us know if you encountered any idiom based question in SC and also if there were more meaning based questions??
congrats once again.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you everyone for the wishes.

sandeeepsharma: I'll upload the flash card soon, just in process of formalizing it as it was in my own language :) w/ all my jargons :) - Bonus ques - what is wrong in my statement above ?

Code:
could you please let us know if you encountered any idiom based question in SC and also if there were more meaning based questions??

I encountered 2 idiom based but they were mixed w/ other error types, one w/ modifier and other w/ subject-verb, but I should say that all SC I came across were really long. I have hardly seen so many long SC during my practice but the good thing it is easier to solve longer one because errors are more prominent if you can identify the filler words. Frankly, I cannot distinguish between meaning and non-meaning but I think as the basic rule goes, all SC should abide by GMC ( general motor corp, my way of remembering it :)) rule - Grammar, Meaning and Concision.

I recommend 2-3 split which helped me in almost all SC questions, but I'll provide few more suggestions when I upload flash cards.
Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Very nice debrief and congrats on your excellent score! +1 kudos from me...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the debrief. Inspirational it is for sure!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Fun debrief! And congratulations on your score!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Very inspiring debrief!
I have my exam scheduled on Apr 14. My scoreline right now reads pretty much same as yours when you took your MGMAT 2/3 test (around 650 range). I am targeting 710+. I bought the gmat club tests recently, and I am finding them very very helpful for Quant. But not as much for verbal. :(

Books I am looking at are: MGMAT strategy guides, Kaplan Premier, OGs (all 3), and some flashcards (from gc), 1000 actual GMAT SC questions (from gc) and a set of hard questions on probability (again from gc).

In verbal section, I am finding CR and RC sections difficult (CR, where I am getting more wrong, and RC where I end up spending lot of time). These two sections are pulling my verbal score down to 33-35. SC I am not that bad.
I've done more than twice all the CR questions from OG, Kaplan and other materials mentioned above and mostly get 80%+ of the questions right. But this doesn't reflect in my test score (where CR result is in the range of 50% - 70%). For RCs I think I need to practice more, I hope that helps.

Please share any thoughts on what I could do better to get to my target score.

Thanks and have a great day!
Sid.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
siddheart22: Let me start with my thoughts on RC, however don't take my word as I have scored only 41 so I am pretty sure there are many others on this forum have better idea about RC.

As I mentioned first I focused on reading speed and that when I started reading news articles and novels to increase my word per min speed and at the same time comprehend the passage or the topic I was reading. MGMAT RC gives you some basic idea on how to approach long and short passages and take notes as you go through the paragraph's. I recommend focus more on the first paragraph of the RC which really in most gives you the gist's of what the author is talking about and what side he or she favors or opposes.

What kind of RC passage are you finding hard ? Long or Short, Science or Social, One with more jargon's or ones with complex sentence structure. First identify that means your weakness and then improve it.

CR - In addition to MGMAT CR guide, I also read through some of the topics from Powerscore CR Bible, which is really good in terms of explaining, how to identify the conclusion, premise and assumption. Bold statement was my weakness when I started but then I realized that it is very much like any other CR question where you have to identify PAC ( Premise, Assumption and Conclusion ) and then read the answer choices. Short CR are pretty manageable but on the long ones I used PAC identification and then POE. Once you eliminate 2 or 3 choices you normally know what is the correct answer but yeah on 700+ questions remaining 2 choices will be very very close.

I suggests focus on the words in the choices, normally I have observed choices with extreme words such as always, entirely, all, never, everyone, are not correct because if they tend to take the argument in one directions. Note that GMAT CR are talking about rationale and practical topics in your day to day life and as you know our assumptions or our conclusions are always in the middle or the average never to one extreme.

Code:
I've done more than twice all the CR questions from OG, Kaplan and other materials mentioned above and mostly get 80%+ of the questions right. But this doesn't reflect in my test score (where CR result is in the range of 50% - 70%). For RCs I think I need to practice more,
Let me ask have you analyzed how many in the first 10 or 15 on the full length tests are correct ? Never go by the % correct on OG or such tests as GMAT is really adaptive so % of correctness matter less than how your graph progresses from Ques 1 to Ques 41. Are you timing your OG practice questions ? I have observed that in any full length test whether MGMAT test, Princeton, GMAT Prep, Kaplan - First 15 question really matters but again that's my observation don't generalize it.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can be of further help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Excellent debrief and an outstading score! Thanks for sharing you useful experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Thanks for the advice and details in your debrief.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts