Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Economics
Schools:Delhi University
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: St. Gallen Masters in Management - MA. HSG SIM? [#permalink]
/

Originally posted by ronnie987 on 02 Aug 2011, 03:17.
Last edited by ronnie987 on 04 Jan 2014, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
hi guys,

i'm thinking about applying for the SIM as it has been ranked #1 in this year's financial times ranking. is there anyone who can provide me with some insider information on the program?
do you think it's comparable to the master in mgt programs of LBS and LSE?

any info is greatly appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi akhilesh,

I have read your posts on various threads such as LBS,LSE,DUKE,HEC for the MIM programs.
I would like to know whether you have any offer from any institute yet ? If yes, please share your experiences and information for all of us !

cheers
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gdebruit wrote:
hi guys,

i'm thinking about applying for the SIM as it has been ranked #1 in this year's financial times ranking. is there anyone who can provide me with some insider information on the program?

No matter what the rankings say, LBS and LSE are way ahead in terms of reputation and quality. These 2 are world-renowned programmes whereas gallen is a very "GERMAN" university not renowned outside German speaking Europe.
In my opinion, LBS>LSE>HEC>Warwick>...>HSG.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ronnie987 wrote:
gdebruit wrote:
hi guys,

No matter what the rankings say, LBS and LSE are way ahead in terms of reputation and quality. These 2 are world-renowned programmes whereas gallen is a very "GERMAN" university not renowned outside German speaking Europe.
In my opinion, LBS>LSE>HEC>Warwick>...>HSG.

Hi there,

I wouldn't go for an absoulte ranking but say it depends on your profile and what you expect of your studies content-wise.
The MiM programs of LBS and LSE have a great reputation and if you want to start your career in the UK or the US both probably are a good choice. Nevertheless, you should be aware of the fact that these programs are mainly designed for students who have a NON-business undergraduate background as a kind of "MBA at an early career stage". Thus, it depends on your undergraduate studies, with a bachelor in BA you might have heard a lot of the stuff before, so the value added is limited.
The SIM masters at HSG focuses on advanced management studies and leadership development and hence has more elements of a consecutive master's program. It furthermore places a great emphasis on international experience and entrepreneurship. A better comparable to the SIM is probably the MSc in BAC at Warwick, though that program is closely linked to operations research and thus more implementation than strategy focused.
A last note: If money is an issue for you, the SIM probably offers an option to get a general business degree from a reputable university at a bearable cost.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Akhilesh, i've heard it is a pretty damn good program, but they insist on bachelors in business administration background,i have done BE so don't know they'll accept or not?? also there is one thing i need to ask you, you have (in your profile) said that you have 3.5 GPA, how did you find that out? did you use any profile evaluation service???please advice. Cheers!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aadityaisking wrote:
Hi Akhilesh, i've heard it is a pretty damn good program, but they insist on bachelors in business administration background,i have done BE so don't know they'll accept or not?? also there is one thing i need to ask you, you have (in your profile) said that you have 3.5 GPA, how did you find that out? did you use any profile evaluation service???please advice. Cheers!!

Just send an email to sim@unisg.ch, I sent them a bunch of questions and they were all answered quickly. Apparently it's hard to get in, but there are special provisions for international students, so you might have a chance even though your degree is different - at least worth a try.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
masterstrategist123 wrote:
aadityaisking wrote:

Just send an email to sim@unisg.ch, I sent them a bunch of questions and they were all answered quickly. Apparently it's hard to get in, but there are special provisions for international students, so you might have a chance even though your degree is different - at least worth a try.

what provisions are you speaking about? i didn't find anything about special rules for international students.. do you think they consider as international students just people coming from non-EU countries?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Hey everybody!

I am going to apply either, but I still have to take the gmat 8-) I'm gonna take it the 28th of March, just in time for the final deadline!

Did you guys take the GMAT already? masterstrategist123 did they tell you if the awa is relevant for the admission?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi there,

@alexba91: Apparently, they abolished the special regulations regarding international students last year, so everyone is assessed equally, independent of nationality. Sorry for the confusion.

@MarkDM: Don't know if the AWA is relevant for admission, it's not explicitly listed on the score system, but I wouldn't run any risks and fill it out, just in case...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Oh no, I know that you must fill it out, I read that on the website. But if it's not relevant, I'm not gonna prepare at all for it. Rather I would try to improve my chances to get an amazing score!

Did you apply already? If so, can I ask you how it works with the payment of the application fee?
I read some info on the website. If I understand correctly, you have to complete an online application, and then send the required documents.

Thank you Masterstrategist! :wink:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi!

@AWA: What you're saying makes sense - I personally wouldn't (and didn't) take that risk... I guess if they do read it (which might very well be the case) and you had an amazing score it might not reflect to good on you if your amazing score comes at the cost of a really bad awa. But those are just my two cents....

@Application: Nope. I am still compiling my documents. From what I understand you just sign up online, print the confirmation and send that with all the required docs plus the payment receipt to the university before the deadline. I think the bank details you get after starting that online process ....

Good Luck for your application!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Good Luck to you too and thank you!

I think you are probably right. I am going to try to get a decent grade on AWA, but I'll still keep the priority on the GMAT score.

I "just" need to pass the GMAT first :D What did you obtain?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I had an interview at LBS two days ago. Did not like it, because the admissions manager was a bit rude and very challenging. Very different from what I was expecting. I also did not like London, I have to say. Even if I do not get there, I will not feel very disappointed, as I would like to study at St. Gallen. Even though I was thinking about MBF, now I am a lot more interested in the SIM course, because it has more to do with business and management.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Can anyone help me out? I have nearly completed the whole SIM application, but I still have a question regarding one thing. In the first page of the online application there is a slot called "Choose degree level".

If I have a Bachelor's degree, and I am now applying for a Master's which one should I choose? I would really appreciate if someone helped me here.

P.S. I have attached a screenshot.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2012-03-06 at 9.27.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-03-06 at 9.27.44 PM.png [ 92.7 KiB | Viewed 34885 times ]

Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think you would click on "First degree course, Master's" - because than in the "Enroll for" it would give you SIM as an option, right?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi guys,

Any admits so far?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13