Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools:Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
 Q46  V41
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Send PM
Re: How Much Notice to Give at Work? [#permalink]
Good question, dealing with this issue as well. I'm planning to tell my boss 1 month prior to leaving.

I agree with globalcitizen, anything more than a month can get awkward and is unnecessary. But you need to follow your gut feeling and do what feels right.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Somewhere between two weeks and one month is the sweet spot I'd think. Unless there is a specific reason why you think your workplace would need to know more than four weeks in advance, I would say don't do it.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 517 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
I think notice is also based on whether you need the job. Remember, a company can let you go on the spot if they wanted to even if you say you would put in an extra month or two. So, yes, I would agree 2-4 weeks.
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Funny, I had this problem solved for me. I am one of two analysts in my department, and the other one left recently to take another position within the company. I was asked if I wanted to apply for the promotion (he was senior to me) and was told that if I did, it would essentially be a matter of paperwork to promote me (i.e. my boss and boss' boss would support the move).

Obviously, I felt that I had to disclose my plans at this point. I told my bosses last week that I would be leaving in three months, and that they should bring someone else in to fill my colleague's position. They both took it pretty well. This was way more notice than I intended to give, but the circumstances were unique. I feel better having my plans in the open. I also think that by giving them plenty of notice, I haven't burned any bridges here, which is nice. Of course, if you're in a more hostile work environment, I do think that the risk of being fired before you can quit is still a real one, so use your best judgment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
My company works extremely slow as far as getting job postings approved and my role is very important that it is always filled. I tried to do the right thing and gave 6 weeks notice and I am actually sorry I did that. Now every bathroom break and off site meeting is because I am mentally checked out. They don't seem to notice the late nights and early mornings at all and are only looking for any proof I am slacking off and adding the non strategic busy work to my workload. I think 2-4 weeks is fair.

Becky
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
For those of you who only gave 2-4 weeks notice (or plan to do so) - who wrote your letters of recommendation? The only people I've worked closely with at my mid-size consulting firm are two senior managers. I anticipate having to ask them both to write recommendations, which will make my plans pretty clear well in advanced. Any thoughts on how to handle a situation like this?

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Detroiter wrote:
For those of you who only gave 2-4 weeks notice (or plan to do so) - who wrote your letters of recommendation? The only people I've worked closely with at my mid-size consulting firm are two senior managers. I anticipate having to ask them both to write recommendations, which will make my plans pretty clear well in advanced. Any thoughts on how to handle a situation like this?

Thanks

This is a good point, and may end up being very applicable to my own situation.

One consideration is that if you have any interest in returning to that company after your MBA (into a different position within the company), then I would be sure to make that clear. This might mitigate any negative effects.

However, if that's not the case, I'd try very hard to think of other people to get references from.

Failing at that, I guess you're at their mercy. :/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
don't know if there is a good answer to this one. i have been completely open with everyone in my office all along - they wrote me recs and were aware of the timeline. I decided to take some time off this summer but gave as much notice as possible - more than a month actually. and the reaction was really weird - annoyed that I was not working up until the final day. bummer - hope it does not impact future references from them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Energy
Schools:Wharton R2 (ding),HBS R2(matric), Kellogg R2(admit), NYU R2 (withdrawn), Haas R2 (withdrawn), LBS R2(admit)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
My references all came from people I work with / for, including my director, SVP, division president, and CEO. I've been completely open with them about my plans for the past six months, so in a way I haven't even given formal notice, we've just come to a mutual agreement for my last day (mid-June for a late Aug start). They've been incredibly supportive of my plans, and cut me a lot of slack with gmat prep / applications, so I've tried to be as transparent as possible in return.

With that said, I'm not so sure this type of arrangement would work at all companies. I've heard from others that they gave a month's notice and that it was a good amout of time. I think it all comes down to who knows your plans, what your relationship is like with your superiors / company, and how involved you think you can be in any transition from your role.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Michigan Ross Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
mEEchigan04 wrote:
My advice to others would be to give 2 weeks and just end it there. A company would have no issue dumping us, so why do we feel guilty doing something similar? People leave for other jobs all the time and give 2 weeks. Sure, managers might get pissy but tough - their job is to deal with sudden change.

I think this depends on your company and line of work. Giving two weeks notice would have been a major bridge-burning move in my case, since it would be obvious that I knew I was leaving further in advance, and I'm part of a small team in a niche area. I gave my notice the day after I was accepted to my first school, which worked out to be three months notice. I haven't been treated differently since then. But if there's a risk of being let go on the spot or your work can be easily shifted elsewhere, then giving less notice makes sense.
Current Student
Affiliations: ?
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck
 Q48  V38
Send PM
I wish I were as lucky as you all to give my notice 2 weeks before.
I work in Europe and the minimum notification one must give before leaving a job is 3 months !! (the company has also a 3 month notification period before you are fired).
So I'm giving my notice by the end of next week. For sur my resposibilities will decrease after that... (I seen that in the team before)
Current Student
Affiliations: ?
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck
 Q48  V38
Send PM
I gave my notification this week!

My manager's boss call me (for the first time since I joined) to yell at me ! I knew this would happen :(
They are already looking for someone to replace me....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
madeinafrica wrote:
I wish I were as lucky as you all to give my notice 2 weeks before.
I work in Europe and the minimum notification one must give before leaving a job is 3 months !! (the company has also a 3 month notification period before you are fired).
So I'm giving my notice by the end of next week. For sur my resposibilities will decrease after that... (I seen that in the team before)

hah! it cuts both ways... here in america someone can get fired in 1 day. Usually on a Friday too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Other
Schools: University of Wisconsin (Madison) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.66
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I'd like to get this subject started again. There does not seem to be an etiquette to follow for leaving an employer to return to school and I am curious on any other views.

I work for a tight-knit, small company and I know that giving only 2 weeks would be insulting not to mention a burden on my employer. Everyone is replaceable but in a small company (I'm talkin' less than 50 total EE's, less than 15 professional staff, and only 4 in our office) each person is a bigger slice of the total workforce. Giving only 2 weeks does not leave any room to transition someone into my role (doesn't really even give enough time to hire someone) and would feel mean-spirited on my part.

I'm thinking 2 months is appropriate (mid-June). Now (5-6 months out) seems obnoxious while, as mentioned above, less than 2 months will strain the relationship.

Any thoughts?
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Other
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
nsspaz151 wrote:
I'm thinking 2 months is appropriate (mid-June). Now (5-6 months out) seems obnoxious while, as mentioned above, less than 2 months will strain the relationship.

Any thoughts?
If you are close to the people in your company (on a personal level) and know for sure that they wont 'take it out' on you, then by all means, YES!, inform them 2 months out. It shows that you really care about them. I wouldn't mention anything about it before that.

I work at a large company and I will be informing my team and clients 1 month before I quit. My boss (who wrote my LOR) understands my situation and even told me that I do not have to inform my team members or my clients more than 2 weeks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
I would think many of the same people who receive your notice are the same people who write your rec's. They also know if you are applying to a full time MBA or a part time MBA. So I think that once someone accepts a full time MBA spot, the "notice" should be a formality.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Although this period differs from company to company but given you are having a good relation and don’t want this news to come as surprise we would advise a 4week notice. This way you can allow a smooth transition of your work to someone else. All the best!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2