Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT Date: 04-11-2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
Re: My GMAT Journey - 5 weeks left to study [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,

I believe that its the time that you actually define your strengths and weaknesses.

you can ideally take one or two tests in next 4/5 days, and structure the plan.

prepare a small chart of strengths and weakness,,, and put all subtopics under each head... during real example.. u gotta know what are your strengths, and what are your weaknesses, because if you end up giving more time to your weakness, you might not be able to take full advantage of all your strengths.

Before i appeared for gmat , i was scoring only 570/580 in gmatprep, i had very little time to prepare , i adopted the strategy of giving more time ( though there must be limit to this more word :) ) to my strengths, and i scored 620 in real gmat, because in a few days what you can change the most is your strategy.. content mastery takes time.

Last but not least, do not go on you guts to define your strengths, please study your own statistics to determine your strengths.

and all the best for your test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
WE:Asset Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
tlai7 wrote:
Hi,

I'm taking the GMAT for the first time in about 5 weeks from now. I'm aiming for 700+. I plan to devote 6-8 hours of intense study per day since I don't have a lot of time left.

I'm familiarizing myself with the GMAT Club and thought of starting a study diary to keep myself on track. I hope to receive advice from other GMAT takers on the forum. If there is anything that I can help from my end, please let me know as I am happy to do so.

I haven't taken any practice tests yet. Right now I have access to the official prep tests (I registered for the exam already) and a free MGMAT CAT (I'm thinking of purchasing the other 5). Honestly, I'm a little confused to when I should take the practice tests. I plan to go through the 8 MGMAT books by the end of next week, 03/11/2012. Then take my first practice test. I am not a great test-taker. Thus, I want to get my foundation down first then tackle the practice exams. Does anyone suggest otherwise?

Books:
OG 12th edition
8 MGMAT books
Powerscore GMAT CR Bible by Killoran
GMAT Club tests
Any other books that you think is a must?

Background:
Non-native English speaker. I read frequently but I'm sure I still have to spend some time on Verbal. I'm good at Math but a bit rusty.
Recent grad. Going into investment banking for full-time.

Thanks for reading and thank you in advance for all your help and guidance!

GMAT here I come :-D

Hi :)

I think you're thinking about it the right way. I would go through the 8 guides (except RC and CR), and then do one MGMAT CAT, as you really want to save the official Gmat PREP CATs til the end to gauge your eventual progress.

I would only go through the basic sections of every guide. You can focus on advanced sections after your first CAT, if you notice a need. After all, not all subjects are created equal in the GMAT exam; the GMAT is heavily focused on Numbers Properties, Word Translations, and VICs. You may get intimidated by the number of combinatoric and probability questions you see on the MGMAT, but in actuality, the proportion tested on such subjects are insignificant at best on the real test.

Try to get in the habit of taking 1-2 CATs a week, to track progress, and to redirect your studying efforts going forward. I will be doing the same.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
tlai7 wrote:
Hi,

I'm taking the GMAT for the first time in about 5 weeks from now. I'm aiming for 700+. I plan to devote 6-8 hours of intense study per day since I don't have a lot of time left.

[/color]

Whatever strategy you intend to follow don't exhaust yourseful the last two days before the exam. I did that mistake the first time I took it and the result was miserable. Also try to build stamina by taking some sample tests and write the two essays as well. I didn't have time to do that and the day of the exam I suffered throughout the Verbal section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
tlai7 wrote:
Updated on 3.27.12:
My exam is coming up in exactly 2 weeks.

For the past three weeks, I have gone through the 8 MGMAT books excluding the CR one and substituted it with the Powerscore GMAT CR Bible. I'm a bit behind compared to my original plan. Plus, even though I have studied in depth the above 8 books, I think the amount of information is so overwhelming that I need to sit down and do a big summary of all the rules and strategies that the books provide. I think there is a thread on GMAT club about the AWA that I will study from. It should be enough, correct?

Last week I took the GMAT Club Quant set 1 and didn't do that well. I got tired from dealing with so many different types of questions, one after the other. My timing was not too off, which was the only good thing. That was the only practice test that I have done so far. I think this means that I just need to do a lot more practice.

I still have the OG 12th ed. left, which I will use just for questions. I have the official gmat prep test and 6 mgmat cats. As I'm doing these practices, I'll be able to tell better which my strengths and weakness are.

Do you guys think all these are enough to get a 700+ score? Also, are they doable / effective to try to do ALL in these last two weeks?

I'm worried because 1. There are just an overwhelming amount of preparation for the GMAT out there that I feel like I'm not doing enough even as I have gone through 8 books.

2. What if I only have weaknesses and no strengths, can I still achieve the score that I want with this short amount of time? Should I still give it a try in 2 weeks and maybe take another test later or should I just extend the test date?

Thank you in advance for all your guidance and support!

Original post:
Hi,

I'm familiarizing myself with the GMAT Club and thought of starting a study diary to keep myself on track. I hope to receive advice from other GMAT takers on the forum. If there is anything that I can help from my end, please let me know as I am happy to do so.

I haven't taken any practice tests yet. Right now I have access to the official prep tests (I registered for the exam already) and a free MGMAT CAT (I'm thinking of purchasing the other 5). Honestly, I'm a little confused to when I should take the practice tests. I plan to go through the 8 MGMAT books by the end of next week, 03/11/2012. Then take my first practice test. I am not a great test-taker. Thus, I want to get my foundation down first then tackle the practice exams. Does anyone suggest otherwise?

Books:
OG 12th edition
8 MGMAT books
Powerscore GMAT CR Bible by Killoran
GMAT Club tests
Any other books that you think is a must?

Background:
Non-native English speaker. I read frequently but I'm sure I still have to spend some time on Verbal. I'm good at Math but a bit rusty.
Recent grad. Going into investment banking for full-time.

Thanks for reading and thank you in advance for all your help and guidance!

GMAT here I come :-D

How did the test go? I hope and believe that it went well for you.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37297 posts