Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4561 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64879 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: Need urgent expert advice for GMAT on 12th march [#permalink]
Thanks Karishma. Yes, my issue is with time management. Your advice seems like apt for me as I sometimes end up spending more than 4 mins on a question and then get that nervousness feeling that I am going to do the rest bad. I think spreading is a good option. However, though the OG guide says that the first 10 questions matter equally as the remaining, but many other forums talk abt maximizing in the first 10 questions. do u think if i came across a weird question in first half (first 10 qs.), I can still make a guess and be safe with a good score?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Christopher! I will go through the videos and get myself signed for the free trial. :) I am trying bits of advice on time management also. I'm sure together it should be helpful.

Thanks again!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Hi Priyanka

Since sept 2009 you have only 8 posts , 3 of which are here. So you are only receiving help and not giving back to community.
Bad example for others.

Good luck in your test.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
PTK wrote:
Hi Priyanka

Since sept 2009 you have only 8 posts , 3 of which are here. So you are only receiving help and not giving back to community.
Bad example for others.

Good luck in your test.

dear PTK, i totally agree with ur concern as a moderator but then isn't it that giving back starts once one has achieved something...may be a good score and one gives back a good bebrief and so on... :)
Though i don't want to take priyanka's side but then you seemed to be little too harsh on her.. :wink: and no offences please.
All i meant to say there are no conditions apply (IMO) as to what u have mentioned above..n plz again no offences.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64879 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
prishkam wrote:
Thanks Karishma. Yes, my issue is with time management. Your advice seems like apt for me as I sometimes end up spending more than 4 mins on a question and then get that nervousness feeling that I am going to do the rest bad. I think spreading is a good option. However, though the OG guide says that the first 10 questions matter equally as the remaining, but many other forums talk abt maximizing in the first 10 questions. do u think if i came across a weird question in first half (first 10 qs.), I can still make a guess and be safe with a good score?

It would be great if you could get first 10 questions correct, but if you can do that, then please get the rest of the 31 questions correct too! Don't you see - it is not necessary that if you want to get questions correct, you will get them correct; secondly, you will end up investing way too much time trying to get the first few questions correct which means you will rush through the last few questions. Therefore, any advantage you gain will be nullified (and more, possibly!). Hence, give equal respect to every question and try to get every question correct in the stipulated time. If you want to skip a question in the first 10, go ahead but try to skip only 1 question in every batch of 10.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@ PTK- Thanks for showing concern but though I had joined gmat club in 2009, I could not get the opportunity to use it before Jan this year. I just started preparing in Jan this year and as Rajeev suggested, once I have something to contribute in a good way, I would.

@ Rajeev, thanks for understanding.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@ Karishma: Thanks...I think that makes complete sense! I would do it that way. I'll give one mock this way and would get back to you in case I face any issues. :) Thanks a ton for the advice!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
It discusses a strategy called 'quick punt' which is perfect for you since you only have 5 days left. When you come across a question which looks sinister (perhaps really long question stem or leaves you confused after the first read which should take 15-20 sec), guess on it immediately and move on. The point is to spread your guesses across the test rather than guessing the last 5 questions in a row. Take GMAT prep test 1 using this strategy right away and see if it gives you some comfort. You can re-take GMAT prep test 1 even if you left it in the middle before. You will not get the same questions this time.

hi, i totally agree with what Karishma mentioned above. you must give the trick a try and i am sure it will work.
all the best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Karishma,

It seemed to have worked! I got 730 today on MGMAT 6. Though i did not space the guesses evenly as you suggested (i in every 10) but i was a bit alert that and decisive on what needs to be skipped.

I went slow in quant got 51. Went at my pace in verbal and for the first time I was able to read through all the questions. I completed verbal section for the first time! but couldn't improve the score enough. Got 38 in verbal.

Most importantly, i gave it with a positive mind and was saying to myself to relax and keep calm :)

I am going to write the gmat prep 1 tomorrow. I hope this keeps on working. Thanks for the cool advice!

Rajeev, it seem to have worked! :)

Thanks all. I really really hope it works on the day of my exam :))
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
It will work on test day also, keep the positive momentum going.
I am happy for you.
PTK can you hear..??? lol
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
rajeevrks27 wrote:
PTK wrote:
Hi Priyanka

Bad example for others.

Good luck in your test.

dear PTK, i totally agree with ur concern as a moderator but then isn't it that giving back starts once one has achieved something...may be a good score and one gives back a good bebrief and so on... :)
Though i don't want to take priyanka's side but then you seemed to be little too harsh on her.. :wink: and no offences please.
All i meant to say there are no conditions apply (IMO) as to what u have mentioned above..n plz again no offences.

Nothing against the user in question however on a broader level I think PTK has hit a nerve. Sometimes people post 1 thread: GMAT success debrief, it usually contains no nuggets of wisdom, only bragging rights. On the other hand i read a 550 debrief on GC and it was way better than some of 750+ debriefs.Maybe we can have a separate thread for : appreciated qualities of GM Clubbers.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AbhiJ:
I completely agree with you on the point you made. Since we are here to discuss GMAT then let me begin by pointing out a logical flaw in PTK's statement.

So if I enrolled to gmat club in 2009 thinking I would give gmat then. It is not necessary that I would get the opportunity to use gmat club. I got busy in my job and continued to advance and opted differently and hence never got the opportunity to visit gmat club. Now assuming that I had been using GMAT club and not giving back just because I have GMAT club's membership, which i guess ~2 lakh people across the world have, is flawed . Now that I got the opportunity of using it, I do think and have plans to share my own experience at the right time.

I am sorry but the way PTK had put it across was a bit unprofessional and filled with assumptions. I understand he is the moderator but if there was something like this, he could had msged me separately to check the reason for such less number of posts or responses.

Also, another thing, in my view, the number of posts doesn't matter but what matters is what you post is relevant and important. I would rather focus on quality than quantity.

Again, I am saying all this not to offend anyone but to explain you that if you feel the way PTK felt, it is better to clarify first and then post about it than vice versa.

Regards,
Priyanka

Originally posted by prishkam on 08 Mar 2012, 08:46.
Last edited by prishkam on 08 Mar 2012, 09:22, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@ Rajeev: Thanks, I am going to give it my best! <fingers crossed for tomorrow's mock also> :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64879 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
prishkam wrote:
Hi Karishma,

It seemed to have worked! I got 730 today on MGMAT 6. Though i did not space the guesses evenly as you suggested (i in every 10) but i was a bit alert that and decisive on what needs to be skipped.

I went slow in quant got 51. Went at my pace in verbal and for the first time I was able to read through all the questions. I completed verbal section for the first time! but couldn't improve the score enough. Got 38 in verbal.

Most importantly, i gave it with a positive mind and was saying to myself to relax and keep calm :)

I am going to write the gmat prep 1 tomorrow. I hope this keeps on working. Thanks for the cool advice!

Rajeev, it seem to have worked! :)

Thanks all. I really really hope it works on the day of my exam :))

Glad about that! Since you always got 48-49 in Quant with half an hour to spare, you just needed to cool down. Great! Try and keep a positive attitude in Verbal too. Hopefully, things will work out well.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
All the best for 12 March, looking forward to a wonderful debrief
P.S- please take full time on quant :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Karishma and Rajeev. Took gmatprep 1 today. got 720 Q50 V39. Though 10 score less than yesterday but what I saw positive here was the verbal score which for the first time crossed 38. I am going to relax and revise some old mocks in the next two days. Fingers crossed for Monday.

Thanks again for the great help and yes, in case you have some last minute advice do share it with me :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
prishkam wrote:
Thanks Karishma and Rajeev. Took gmatprep 1 today. got 720 Q50 V39. Though 10 score less than yesterday but what I saw positive here was the verbal score which for the first time crossed 38. I am going to relax and revise some old mocks in the next two days. Fingers crossed for Monday.

Thanks again for the great help and yes, in case you have some last minute advice do share it with me :)

Go to the exam with a bit of swagger, like this exam is tough but i am tougher, i am going to give GMAT run for the money. Take chocolates for the break, they quickly replenish the decision making faculty, which gets fatigued.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2