Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Re: 720(Q50,V38)- GMAT knocked out in the 1st round - My 2 cents [#permalink]
Babzsn84 wrote:
Congratulations... Thanks for sharing ur experience:).
Could you also share your mock test scores? I would be taking the test soon & just wanted to gauge my preparation.
Thanks.

Thanks!

My scores were
GMATPrep Test 1 - 680 (Q48,V34)
MGMAT Test 1 - 670 (Q48,V33)
MGMAT Test 2 - 680 (Q49,V34)
MGMAT Test 3 - 700 (Q50,V35)
MGMAT Test 4 - 700 (Q46,V40)
MGMAT Test 5 - 700 (Q50,V35)
MGMAT Test 6 - 710 (Q50,V36)
GMATPrep Test 2 - 740 (Q49,V42)

As you can see my actual score was in between my final 2 scores - MGMAT6 and GMATPrep2. Hence, I believe these tests are a pretty good indicator of actual performance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
devpanda wrote:
Congrats on the score!!! I loved the "Ali" bit the most....

I intend to take around May end / June start....
I am noob , and this is 1st week of preparation...I am attacking my weakness Verbal - started with SC (Manhattan)....I would be obliged if you could "mentor" me with tips / tricks...
The prob is that too much of things / materials and what to choose...? If you could spare me penny's thought, it would be great....
I know any exam can be cracked if somebody is aware of the plan and has proper resources...

What say?? Looking forward for protege-mentor thing. (Just 15 mins call / check)

Hey Dev,

I am not particularly an expert on the subject matter, so do not know whether I would be able to guide you in the right direction. However, I can share the tips / strategies that I found useful, and if it makes sense, then feel free to use them. Bear in mind that what may work for some does not necessarily work for others.

Attacking the GMAT involves three key elements
1. Following a good work-plan that is well thought out
2. Understanding the concepts that the GMAT is testing you on and the style in which questions are posed
3. Determining the best approach for efficiently attacking certain questions

First, attempt a diagnostic test, to identify your current standing so that you can develop a good work plan. Once you know where you stand, chalk out a rough work plan. In my earlier post, I have briefly discussed the approach that I took. As you have indicated that Verbal is your weakness, my advice to you would be to divide your initial preparation time between verbal and quant in the ratio 60:40. Do not ignore quant completely.

My plan for verbal was quite simple
- Read Official Guide SC, CR and RC (This is the basic document that you must read as it is prepared by GMAT)
- Read Manhattan SC (cover to cover), Manhattan CR and CR Bible by PowerPrep, and Manhattan RC
- Translate key points on each topic into a word document for ongoing reviews in between mock tests
- Follow my guidelines for practicing questions, as highlighted in my earlier post
- Try to target completing SC equations within 1:00 min and CR questions within 1:30 minutes. This is because, RC questions will end up taking up the most time as you will have to spend time reading the passage. However, don't be paranoid if it takes you a little bit longer on the tougher questions.
- Before attempting questions, write down the answer choices on paper i.e. write down A|B|C|D|E - As you go through the answers, use the technique of POE (Process Of Elimination) and actually cross out the choices on your scratch pad that are not relevant. This will help you narrow down the choices in case you are confused between 2-3 choices and need to refer back to the passage/statement. On the day of the test, you will have a 1-min window (during the introduction to the verbal section) to write down A B C D E on the paper. Try and dish out as many as you can in that time period
- Track the answers you get wrong, especially for SC, and understand the logic behind the right answer

Note:
For SC, the most important element is understanding the grammar. This may take time, but unless it doesn't become intuitive, you will end up spending a lot of time between options.

For CR, the most important element is comprehending the statement and identifying the right strategy to attack the different question types. The CR Bible is the best resource for this, by far. I would tackle the question by reading the question first (to understand what question type it is), then reading the statement and then using POE to go through the answer choices, based on the rules and guidelines in the CR Bible.

For RC, it is important to comprehend the passage, and if you feel necessary draw out a skeletal map of the passage. Here, use the approach that works best for you. Read the forums and test out a few approaches before fixating on one.

Finally, I suggest you spend a day browsing through the forum, and reading up on other success stories and approaches. Extract pointers from everyone that you may find useful.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
It helps...Thanks!!!
The biggest challenge now is preparation time from the busy life...
IT industry pressure...and then back and study.... But hey..."Never say never"....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Congratulations... thank you for the tips!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
This is really great stuff..its good to know about the success stories...i am having lot of troubles with Verbal...trying and studying daily, understanding the concepts but still cant get it above 36..I am trying every possible question bank..The books are not available in the stores nearby...so that's a problem
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Congrats and Thanks a lot :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Congrats on the good score! Some helpful advice in there for sure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
hichhoo wrote:
This is really great stuff..its good to know about the success stories...i am having lot of troubles with Verbal...trying and studying daily, understanding the concepts but still cant get it above 36..I am trying every possible question bank..The books are not available in the stores nearby...so that's a problem

Considering you aren't able to get the scores that you require even after much preparation, it appears that you haven't fully grasped all the concepts. Now I'm not saying that it is necessary to do so, but whether you should devote more time to Verbal really depends on a few factors i.e. your strength in math, the amount of preparation time you have, and your target schools. If you are strong in math, do not have a lot of time to prepare and your mock tests are equivalent to the median at your target schools, then do not waste much time on trying to master the Verbal section.

However, if your mock scores are not equivalent to the median of your target schools and your math is as good as it can get, then maybe you need to re-evaluate your approach on the Verbal section. Seek out the help of some qualified instructors for the Verbal bit, because they may help you think through the problems differently. At this point, you are probably saturated with Verbal material and need a fresh approach. Take 1-2 days off from Verbal and start fresh with a new approach. Refer to Powerscore CR Bible, if you haven't already.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Congrats !! Helpful debrief, confidence boosting !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
Send PM
Congratulations on that great score.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
One of my friends with Q50 and V35 got a 710. So 3 points on verbal for just 10 GMAT points.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts