Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [2]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Re: MGMAT Advanced Quant Workout Sets - Timing Issue [#permalink]
Kudos
I loved what one guy said about usefulness of MGMAT Advanced Quant for GMAT Quant "Killing a mouse with a Bazooka". Having said that I wouldn't worry about timing(5 mins is OK). Its more about being double sure to get as close to 100% accuracy as possible. After solving this book you will be much more efficient and accurate on general GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
I think the answer depends on the following: Are the problems GMAT like in their design?

I know that in their strategy guides the problems are not of GMAT quality (although they can be solved in 2 minutes). I would assume this is also the case with the advanced book. For this reason I'd say focus on learning the concepts and then apply them on the hard OG questions. Remember the GMAT questions are designed so they can be solved within a 2-3 minute range.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GRE 1: Q43 V41
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi lamanxa,

I am in exactly the same boat you are in. I can answer 99% of these questions in 5 min, but only about 60% in 2.5 min. My take on it is: If it is not a questions from OG, we cannot be sure that it was designed using the exact GMAC method to be done in about 2 minutes. So take each of these with a grain of salt perhaps there really are some 3.5 minute questions in there. BUT, on the other hand, there are hard OG questions that take me 3-5 minutes. I have learned that there are certain kinds of hard q's where I am can sure I can get it right in 3 minutes and some where I think I can get it right 60% of the time in 3 minutes. On the MGMAT practice tests I read every question, but on 1-2 super hard ones per practice test I quite after 30 seconds. This gives me 2.5-5 extra minutes to spread over the rest of the test, and really improves my confidence and percentile correct. (I am shooting for 700+, not 750+) Please see attached image for my improvement chart using this method.

I'd really appreciate hearing any tips you could offer yourself. I am taking the real test for the second time at the very end of March.
Attachments

GMAT Real and Practice Scores.JPG
GMAT Real and Practice Scores.JPG [ 60.11 KiB | Viewed 4693 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bulaohu wrote:
Hi lamanxa,

I am in exactly the same boat you are in. I can answer 99% of these questions in 5 min, but only about 60% in 2.5 min. My take on it is: If it is not a questions from OG, we cannot be sure that it was designed using the exact GMAC method to be done in about 2 minutes. So take each of these with a grain of salt perhaps there really are some 3.5 minute questions in there. BUT, on the other hand, there are hard OG questions that take me 3-5 minutes. I have learned that there are certain kinds of hard q's where I am can sure I can get it right in 3 minutes and some where I think I can get it right 60% of the time in 3 minutes. On the MGMAT practice tests I read every question, but on 1-2 super hard ones per practice test I quite after 30 seconds. This gives me 2.5-5 extra minutes to spread over the rest of the test, and really improves my confidence and percentile correct. (I am shooting for 700+, not 750+) Please see attached image for my improvement chart using this method.

I'd really appreciate hearing any tips you could offer yourself. I am taking the real test for the second time at the very end of March.

Hi bulaohu and everyone else,

thank you all for the valuable advices. I think the best shot is to do not worry with timing constraints in such difficult question bank and after that practice the concepts with OG hard questions. I'll also follow bulaohu's advice to try to 'let go' some super tough questions on the practice tests in order to save valuable time for the 'answerable' questions. Thanks again!

Regards,
lamanxa.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GRE 1: Q43 V41
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi lamanxa,

I just wanted to update you about how I did on the GMAT with my strategy of ignoring a couple of the hardest questions. I want to share that I now agree, the MGMAT Advanced Quant book is harder than the test. It is the best advanced book to help one improve but it is pushing us to be better than the GMAT needs us to be. I used the whole MGMAT series cover to cover and about 50% of the questions in Advanced Quant and did OG 2x. A lot of studying for sure but it was worth it. My final score was a 740 (overall 97th percentile) and for the first time I had a few extra minutes on the math section and I only quit on 1 problem within 30 seconds. I'll do a debrief soon but I wanted to share some validation for this strategy. Best of luck to you and all!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bulaohu wrote:
Hi lamanxa,

I just wanted to update you about how I did on the GMAT with my strategy of ignoring a couple of the hardest questions. I want to share that I now agree, the MGMAT Advanced Quant book is harder than the test. It is the best advanced book to help one improve but it is pushing us to be better than the GMAT needs us to be. I used the whole MGMAT series cover to cover and about 50% of the questions in Advanced Quant and did OG 2x. A lot of studying for sure but it was worth it. My final score was a 740 (overall 97th percentile) and for the first time I had a few extra minutes on the math section and I only quit on 1 problem within 30 seconds. I'll do a debrief soon but I wanted to share some validation for this strategy. Best of luck to you and all!

hi bulaohu, thank for the feedback and congrats for the fabulous score! I'm managing to improve my "guessing skills" and starting to understand that is not really necessary to try every question to reach the Q48-Q49 level. I just took a MGMAT CAT and guessed 5-7 questions and managed to get a 740 (Q48 V 44) :o
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
I totally agree with everyone's input: Advanced quant is more difficult, and requires more steps to solve a problem than normal GMAT problems. The reason for doing using this book is the same reason why marathon runners train in high altitudes: you only get better by pushing yourself to do something that is more difficult than the real exercise. The first chapter clearly states: the objective of this book is to make you smarter and make you better at logical problem solving. It's objective is not to give you problems that precisely resemble the GMAT. With that being said, take it as a positive if you can get 50% correct in timed conditions. The real GMAT won't be as difficult, and won't require quite as many steps.
GMAT Club Bot