Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
enkie wrote:
djf32 wrote:
Just curious, did your opinion of SBS change (for the better or worse) after the interview day at Oxford?

I went to the Admit Open Day and my opinion of SBS went up afterwards. It was positive to begin with, but after Open Day, i was really taken by them. (which poses a very difficult choice between SBS and INSEAD). I think SBS is a great program in a fantastic setting with easy access to the London job market.

I know how you feel enkie. After going through the application process and getting to know more about Said, I actually really like the school. And although still young, i'm SURE this school is going to go up the ranking (not that it really matters to be honest, everyone has heard of Oxford and its an instant "wow")

At the end of the day, would you like to be more, a consultant or entrepreneur? And where would you be interested in working after.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I would also be interested to hear what peoples thoughts are about Oxford MBA and then wanting to work in Asia. Will it be difficult given the careers service would have mainly European links? The brand value ot Oxbridge in APAC is high, but what about accessibility?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks to everyone who've shared their experiences here. You're a star !
I had my interview yesterday. Here's my debrief if it helps anyone now or in future :)

How to get there
I don't live far from Oxford so it was a short journey by train for me.
However, if you are flying into Heathrow, take the Heathrow express to Paddington (you may see the statue of paddington bear as well :P ) .
Then take the First Great Western train to/toward Oxford. If you are pressed for time, make sure you check the route. I think some trains stop at more stations and some only at 2 or 3, obviously faster. Trains are quite frequent. You may want to buy same-day return if you are coming back to London. When you walk out of station, you can see the school in front of you just 2 mins away.

Another option is to take a bus to Reading and then a train to Oxford.

There may be direct bus connections from Heathrow to Oxford. Please check on https://www.nationalexpress.co.uk

Trains can be checked on https://www.nationalrail.co.uk

You can also take Oxford tube from London Victoria (I think but please search online) but I don't know where it stops in Oxford.

I love trains and the scenery on the way is pretty nice as you approach Oxford. So, I would advise you to take train to enjoy some nice views.

Weather
It was bloody windy and I always find Oxford a bit colder than London. So, do check the weather on https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2640729

Questions
The questions were usual - why MBA, why now, why oxford, professional challenge (failure), long-term and short-term goals, which other schools etc.

Interviewer
My interviewer was amazing. She had read my app before and was well informed.
Very polite, very professional. It was very conversational. She kept asking questions but all in the flow.

School
The school is amazing. My Ad-Com person was very helpful throughout the whole process - right from receiving my app , to arranging (and rearranging interview). I can't fault anyone one bit. I had high opinion of the school already, have visited Oxford many times and have researched it well too. This only made my desire stronger.

I didn't stay for the Open day as I had promised to meet my wife for lunch but I'm pretty sure there were more awesome things lined up ,including a free lunch :), for those who stayed on .

To all to be interviewed candidates
I hope you have a wonderful experience.
I'm glad they called me and I will be even more glad to be a part of the school.

I will keep my fingers, legs, eyes - every damn thing crossed in hope :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
rho wrote:
Thanks to everyone who've shared their experiences here. You're a star !
I had my interview yesterday. Here's my debrief if it helps anyone now or in future :)

How to get there
I don't live far from Oxford so it was a short journey by train for me.
However, if you are flying into Heathrow, take the Heathrow express to Paddington (you may see the statue of paddington bear as well :P ) .
Then take the First Great Western train to/toward Oxford. If you are pressed for time, make sure you check the route. I think some trains stop at more stations and some only at 2 or 3, obviously faster. Trains are quite frequent. You may want to buy same-day return if you are coming back to London. When you walk out of station, you can see the school in front of you just 2 mins away.

Another option is to take a bus to Reading and then a train to Oxford.

There may be direct bus connections from Heathrow to Oxford. Please check on https://www.nationalexpress.co.uk

Trains can be checked on https://www.nationalrail.co.uk

You can also take Oxford tube from London Victoria (I think but please search online) but I don't know where it stops in Oxford.

I love trains and the scenery on the way is pretty nice as you approach Oxford. So, I would advise you to take train to enjoy some nice views.

Weather
It was bloody windy and I always find Oxford a bit colder than London. So, do check the weather on https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2640729

Questions
The questions were usual - why MBA, why now, why oxford, professional challenge (failure), long-term and short-term goals, which other schools etc.

Interviewer
My interviewer was amazing. She had read my app before and was well informed.
Very polite, very professional. It was very conversational. She kept asking questions but all in the flow.

School
The school is amazing. My Ad-Com person was very helpful throughout the whole process - right from receiving my app , to arranging (and rearranging interview). I can't fault anyone one bit. I had high opinion of the school already, have visited Oxford many times and have researched it well too. This only made my desire stronger.

I didn't stay for the Open day as I had promised to meet my wife for lunch but I'm pretty sure there were more awesome things lined up ,including a free lunch :), for those who stayed on .

To all to be interviewed candidates
I hope you have a wonderful experience.
I'm glad they called me and I will be even more glad to be a part of the school.

I will keep my fingers, legs, eyes - every damn thing crossed in hope :)

That's some great information Rho thanks for sharing. Good luck with the decision.

Originally posted by Gmanster on 06 Mar 2012, 04:34.
Last edited by Gmanster on 08 Mar 2012, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.45
WE:Real Estate (Other)
Send PM
Thanks for the comments! My interview was held in NY with Anna Farrus, Head of Admissions. She definitely read my essay prior to the interview and asked a few related questions in attition to the standard why MBA, why Oxford and why now. She also asked some questions about leadership, overcoming difficulties and about weaknesses in my application.

Overall it was a pleasant experience and seemed to go well. But it looks like most people have the same feeling afterwards...so its hard to really tell how it went.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thank you all for sharing your experiences.. I will be in the hot seat on March12th, the day when my interview is scheduled :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Had my interview well. Besides the usual WHy MBA etc questions some very specific questions to my profile. Overall it went well. Fingers crossed for the final results
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.45
WE:Real Estate (Other)
Send PM
Round 2 interviews are over. Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, Management Consulting
Schools:Oxford Said Business School
 Q49  V31 GMAT 2: 720  Q49  V39
WE 1: Team Lead for IT Offshoring projects
Send PM
Are there any current students from Oxford on this thread?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Send PM
djf32 wrote:
Round 2 interviews are over. Good luck everyone!

One more week for the results. Fingers crossed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi, What is the GMAT avg for the Indian demographic in Said. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
budablasta wrote:

Hi it will probably be around 700
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Oxfordgrad2012 wrote:
You have to keep in mind that a large percentage of applicants from India are from IT sector and the average GMAT score tends to be higher. So, I would say that it is important for you to work on your GMAT score and bump it into the 700's.

I am from the India demographic. Would a 710 be considered competitive.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sravangmat wrote:
budablasta wrote:

Hi it will probably be around 700

Are you sure. That seems like the overall avg.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes .. most probably it will be between 700 and 730. I Would like to let you know that an admission at Oxford depends on various factors among which GMAT is just one criteria. Although it is important, GMAT alone cannot fecth an admission into any top league university. Indians, generally, tend to have high GMAT scores curtesy to the highly quant oriented Indian education system. However, if your score is 700+, then it all depends on other aspects of the application such as your essays, quality experience, extraw curricular activities & more importantly your interview( if you are short listed for it ) . I am sure ADCOM looks for the FIT. Unless they are sure that their MBA program suits your aspirations and your profile is suitable to the school, it would be difficult to make it not only to Oxford but also to any top B- School.

If your score is around 700, then the best wayfor you is to concentrate on other parts of the application. My GMAT score is 700 and my application has been shortlisted for the interview. I had my interview on March 12th in Delhi and now waiting anxiously for the final result which will be released on March 23rd. Interview was a very nice and an exciting experience for me .
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sravangmat wrote:
Yes .. most probably it will be between 700 and 730. I Would like to let you know that an admission at Oxford depends on various factors among which GMAT is just one criteria.

If your score is around 700, then the best wayfor you is to concentrate on other parts of the application. My GMAT score is 700 and my application has been shortlisted for the interview.

Thank you. That is very reassuring. All the best to you! Hope you make it!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
budablasta wrote:
sravangmat wrote:
Yes .. most probably it will be between 700 and 730. I Would like to let you know that an admission at Oxford depends on various factors among which GMAT is just one criteria.

If your score is around 700, then the best wayfor you is to concentrate on other parts of the application. My GMAT score is 700 and my application has been shortlisted for the interview.

Thank you. That is very reassuring. All the best to you! Hope you make it!

Fingers crossed :))
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  27   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts