Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [56]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [27]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [13]
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [4]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? 1.2 + x + 5 + y is an [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
This question makes you realize that you have to have an "even integer". If the question were merely, "is this even?" you would not need the statements to answer it. If you have \(2 * x * 5 * y\), then you have 10xy. Generally, you need to know if you have odd * odd or odd * even, or even * even in order to know if the product is even, but when you have 10 * any number, the result will always be even because 2 of the 3 scenarios results in an even number. {1) odd*odd=odd 2) even*odd = even 3) even*even=even} If you have even just 1 even number, the product will always be even. So, since we know that there is a 2 involved, the product will always be even.

But the key is "integer", so we don't know if x = 1.15 or any other decimal which may or may not give an even integer.

Statement 1) Insuffucient. 2 + 2.5 + 5 + 2.5 = even integer of 12. But if you take 2 * 2.5 * 5 * 2.5, that gives you 62.5, not an integer at all, so it could not possibly be an even integer, but the sum is even, therefore, #1 insufficient.

2) Insufficient because if x = 3.5 and y = 0.5, then the different is 3, an odd integer, but if you take the product of 2 * 3.5 * .5 * 5, you don't get an integer at all.

Together) Insufficient. If, from statement 1, you add 2 + 5 =7, then, in order to make Statement 1 true, that the sum is an even integer, the sum of x + y must be odd, so you have odd + odd = even.

Any numbers that will sum an odd integer will never have a difference of an odd integer. 4+2=6, but 4-2=2. Take this principle to the bank. So, these statements cannot both be true at the same time.

I don't think this is a good question, because GMAT will not write questions that have contradictory statements. While I believe the answer to be E, I think the question is flawed.

prinits wrote:
Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer?

1.2 + x + 5 + y is an even integer
2.x - y is an odd integer

Please explain.I could not follow the explanation given in GMAT Club test.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I wud also go for C....
SI gives x+y to be an odd no.....
SII gives x-y to be an odd no.....
both these conditions are satisfied only when both x anf y are integer themselves....
if u add two fractions with denominator 2, u get only one of the two(sum or difference) as odd and other as even ....
any other denominator generally dont give both sum and difference as integers...
so both Statements together satisfy x and y to be integers....hence sufficient..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Bookmarks
If I understand correctly, x+y=odd and x-y=odd are only both always true if x and y are integers. If fractions are involved, the statments contradict because 1/3+2/3=1=odd but 1/3-2/3=-1/3=neither odd nor even. However, I am confused by jallen's statement:

"Any numbers that will sum an odd integer will never have a difference of an odd integer. 4+2=6, but 4-2=2"

4+3 sum odd (7) and have an odd difference (1), right? And why are positive #s used in the example? I assume jallen knows what he is talking about and that I am missing something.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
alphastrike wrote:
If I understand correctly, x+y=odd and x-y=odd are only both always true if x and y are integers. If fractions are involved, the statments contradict because 1/3+2/3=1=odd but 1/3-2/3=-1/3=neither odd nor even. However, I am confused by jallen's statement:

"Any numbers that will sum an odd integer will never have a difference of an odd integer. 4+2=6, but 4-2=2"

4+3 sum odd (7) and have an odd difference (1), right? And why are positive #s used in the example? I assume jallen knows what he is talking about and that I am missing something.

jallenmorris's solution is not right:

jallenmorris wrote:
This question makes you realize that you have to have an "even integer". If the question were merely, "is this even?" you would not need the statements to answer it.

Only integers can be even or odd. There is no difference in asking "is x even integer" and "is x even".

jallenmorris wrote:
Any numbers that will sum an odd integer will never have a difference of an odd integer. 4+2=6, but 4-2=2. Take this principle to the bank. So, these statements cannot both be true at the same time.

\(x=3=odd\) and \(y=2=even\) --> \(x+y=5=odd\) and \(x-y=1=odd\) OR \(x=6=even\) and \(y=1=odd\) --> \(x+y=7=odd\) and \(x-y=5=odd\).

alphastrike wrote:
If I understand correctly, x+y=odd and x-y=odd are only both always true if x and y are integers.

You are absolutely right. Pleas refer to my post for solution for this problem.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 387 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 8.7
WE 1: Software Design and Development
Send PM
I disagree with the OA mentioned above in this problem.

The condition when either x or y = 0 is not considered at all.

look at this example,

consider x=1 and y=0

(1) 2+5+1+0 = 8 (Even) Hence (A) is satisfied
(2) 1-0 =1 (Odd) Hence (B) is also satisfied

The product 2*5*1*0 = 0 (Not an even integer)

Similarly consider x=2 and y=1

(1) 2+5+2+1 = 10 (Even) A is satisfied
(2) 2-1 = 1 (Odd) B is Satisfied
Product 2*5*2*1 = 20 (Even integer)

Hence , OA is E and definitely not C . :twisted:
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
maddy2u wrote:
I disagree with the OA mentioned above in this problem.

The condition when either x or y = 0 is not considered at all.

look at this example,

consider x=1 and y=0

(1) 2+5+1+0 = 8 (Even) Hence (A) is satisfied
(2) 1-0 =1 (Odd) Hence (B) is also satisfied

The product 2*5*1*0 = 0 (Not an even integer)

Similarly consider x=2 and y=1

(1) 2+5+2+1 = 10 (Even) A is satisfied
(2) 2-1 = 1 (Odd) B is Satisfied
Product 2*5*2*1 = 20 (Even integer)

Hence , OA is E and definitely not C . :twisted:

OA for this question is C.

You should know that: zero is an even integer.

An even number is an integer that is "evenly divisible" by 2, i.e., divisible by 2 without a remainder.
An even number is an integer of the form \(n=2k\), where \(k\) is an integer.

So for \(k=0\) --> \(n=2*0=0\).

For more on number properties check: math-number-theory-88376.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
I dont get it. \(2\) is already being multiplied to the original number. so unless \(x\) and \(y\) is a fraction, let's say \(\frac{1}{2}\) then it could be odd, but as long as \(x\) and \(y\) are integers, there is no way this could be an odd number since it is being multiplied by \(2\). Now if we look at Statement A, it still does not tell us that \(x\) and \(y\) are integers or not. Since \(x\) could be \(\frac{1}{2}\) and \(y\) again could be \(\frac{1}{2}\) so A is obviously Insufficient. We cannot even establish if \(2*x*5*y\) is an integer, let alone it is even or not. And the presence of \(2\) is extremely misleading.

Now B says that \((x - y)\) is an odd integer. Let's suppose \(x=\frac{4}{3}\) and \(y=\frac{1}{3}\), then \((x-y)=1\) which is an odd integer as it is supposed to be but that does not make \(2*x*5*y\) an even integer an integer at all. On the other hand let x=4 and y=3 than \((x-y)=1\) which is again an odd integer so yes \(2*x*5*y\) is an even integer. Two different answers,
Hence Insufficient.

Now if we combine A & B:

Statement A: \(2+x+5+y\)is \(even\) so \((x+y)+7\) is \(even\) so \((x+y)\) has to be odd
Statement B: \(x-y=odd\) which is basically just restating Statement A.

There is something wrong with the question. Do you have a source for this one?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Many thanks Bunuel. Had a hard time with this one !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 807 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
omerrauf wrote:
I dont get it. \(2\) is already being multiplied to the original number. so unless \(x\) and \(y\) is a fraction, let's say \(\frac{1}{2}\) then it could be odd, but as long as \(x\) and \(y\) are integers, there is no way this could be an odd number since it is being multiplied by \(2\). Now if we look at Statement A, it still does not tell us that \(x\) and \(y\) are integers or not. Since \(x\) could be \(\frac{1}{2}\) and \(y\) again could be \(\frac{1}{2}\) so A is obviously Insufficient. We cannot even establish if \(2*x*5*y\) is an integer, let alone it is even or not. And the presence of \(2\) is extremely misleading.

Now B says that \((x - y)\) is an odd integer. Let's suppose \(x=\frac{4}{3}\) and \(y=\frac{1}{3}\), then \((x-y)=1\) which is an odd integer as it is supposed to be but that does not make \(2*x*5*y\) an even integer an integer at all. On the other hand let x=4 and y=3 than \((x-y)=1\) which is again an odd integer so yes \(2*x*5*y\) is an even integer. Two different answers,
Hence Insufficient.

Now if we combine A & B:

Statement A: \(2+x+5+y\)is \(even\) so \((x+y)+7\) is \(even\) so \((x+y)\) has to be odd
Statement B: \(x-y=odd\) which is basically just restating Statement A.

There is something wrong with the question. Do you have a source for this one?

Notice that we are not told that x and y are integers.

Question: \(2*x*5*y=even\). As there is 2 as a multiple, then this expression will be even if \(5xy=integer\). Basically we are asked is \(5xy=integer\) true?

Note that \(x\) and \(y\) may not be integers for \(2*x*5*y\) to be even (example \(x=\frac{7}{9}\) and \(y=\frac{9}{7}\)) BUT if they are integers then \(2*x*5*y\) is even.

(1) \(2+x+5+y=even\) --> \(7+x+y=even\) --> \(x+y=odd\). Not sufficient. (x=1 and y=2 answer YES BUT x=1.3 and y=1.7 answer NO)

(2) \(x-y=odd\). Not sufficient. (x=1 and y=2 answer YES BUT x=1.3 and y=0.3 answer NO)

(1)+(2) Sum (1) and (2) \((x+y)+(x-y)=odd_1+odd_2\) --> \(2x=even\) --> \(x=integer\) --> \(y=integer\) --> Both \(x\) and \(y\) are integers. Hence sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

A real tricky question and an awesome explanation.
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
What if x or y=0. Zero is not an even or an odd integer, then what? I suspect the answer should be E. Can anybody comment on this?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
liyasecret wrote:
What if x or y=0. Zero is not an even or an odd integer, then what? I suspect the answer should be E. Can anybody comment on this?

Welcome to GMAT Club. Below is an answer to your question.

Zero is an even integer.

An even number is an integer that is "evenly divisible" by 2, i.e., divisible by 2 without a remainder, so since 0/2=0=integer then zero is even.

For more on number properties check: math-number-theory-88376.html

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
i knw its a silly question to ask but can anybody pls explain: 2x can only be even if x is an integer,??
what if x is a value like .7.. then 2x is 1.4.. which is even i assume.. or is it not?? :( any help would be highly appreciated!!!
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
swarman wrote:
i knw its a silly question to ask but can anybody pls explain: 2x can only be even if x is an integer,??
what if x is a value like .7.. then 2x is 1.4.. which is even i assume.. or is it not?? :( any help would be highly appreciated!!!

No, 0.7 is not even. Only integers can be even or odd.

An even number is an integer that is "evenly divisible" by 2, i.e., divisible by 2 without a remainder.
An even number is an integer of the form \(n=2k\), where \(k\) is an integer.

An odd number is an integer that is not evenly divisible by 2.
An odd number is an integer of the form \(n=2k+1\), where \(k\) is an integer.

For more check here: math-number-theory-88376.html#p666609

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

1) 2 + x + 5 + y is an even integer
2) x - y is an odd integer

Can someone post OA for this Q?

I think the above reasoning is not correct and the answer is C.

Question: \(2*x*5*y=even\). As there is 2 as a multiple, then this expression will be even if \(5xy=integer\). Basically we are asked is \(5xy=integer\) true?

Note that \(x\) and \(y\) may not be integers for \(2*x*5*y\) to be even (example \(x=\frac{7}{9}\) and \(y=\frac{9}{7}\)) BUT if they are integers then \(2*x*5*y\) is even.

(1) \(2+x+5+y=even\) --> \(7+x+y=even\) --> \(x+y=odd\). Not sufficient. (x=1 and y=2 answer YES BUT x=1.3 and y=1.7 answer NO)

(2) \(x-y=odd\). Not sufficient. (x=1 and y=2 answer YES BUT x=1.3 and y=0.3 answer NO)

(1)+(2) Sum (1) and (2) \((x+y)+(x-y)=odd_1+odd_2\) --> \(2x=even\) --> \(x=integer\) --> \(y=integer\) --> Both \(x\) and \(y\) are integers. Hence sufficient.

Hi..I did it exactly as you did it. However, I chose (E). Please help..while its true that both x and y are integers..there is nothing in the stem that says that they cant be NEGATIVE INTEGERS. And the case of negative integers can result into a non integer value for the expression, this made me choose E.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
ShashankDave wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

1) 2 + x + 5 + y is an even integer
2) x - y is an odd integer

Can someone post OA for this Q?

I think the above reasoning is not correct and the answer is C.

Hi..I did it exactly as you did it. However, I chose (E). Please help..while its true that both x and y are integers..there is nothing in the stem that says that they cant be NEGATIVE INTEGERS. And the case of negative integers can result into a non integer value for the expression, this made me choose E.

When we consider the statements together we get that both x and y are integers. It does not matter whether they are positive or negative, still in this case 2*x*5*y=10*x*y=10*integer=even.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: ISB'22 (WL)
Send PM
Bunuel

x + y = odd
x - y = odd

what if either x or y is 0 (which is also an integer). In that case above two equations would hold good but overall answer will be 0 (not an even integer).

Ans should be 'e'
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
ShubhamG wrote:
Bunuel

x + y = odd
x - y = odd

what if either x or y is 0 (which is also an integer). In that case above two equations would hold good but overall answer will be 0 (not an even integer).

Ans should be 'e'

Zero is an even integer. An even number is an integer that is "evenly divisible" by 2, i.e., divisible by 2 without a remainder and as zero is evenly divisible by 2 then it must be even.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts