Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Getting candidates into great schools!
Schools:Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]
Expert Reply
From Dr. Shel Watts, https://www.mbaadmit.com

Email: mbaadmit@aol.com

[highlight]Ask about our Buy-1-Get-1-Free Gold Package Special - Valid through February 18, 2012.[/highlight]

MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable top-quality MBA admissions consulting companies, with prices nearly 50% lower than our direct competitors.

Hi,

You have a great background. As someone who worked in Kenya for a summer during college, I know how life-changing such an experience can be and I can relate to how you may have developed your ideas about how you can use business and business skills to make an impact. You could present a very compelling set of stories to the committee both about your past experiences and about your future goals. You will need to take care, though, that you convey your experiences in business-relevant terms in many parts of your application (essays, resume and recommendations).

Definitely try to prepare well for the GMAT – the higher your score, the more compelling you can be as an applicant. If you score in the 700+ range, you should be in good shape. If you score in the 600-660 arena, you might consider taking it again. Otherwise, depending upon your background, it could limit your business school options.

You did not provide your ethnic background, so I can’t really be more specific than this. Your ethnicity could conceivably impact your outcomes. If you are from an under-represented ethnic background, that could improve your odds. But in general, with a 3.21 GPA you will want to score in the 680+ range on the GMAT to have a great shot at schools like Columbia+.

Best wishes,
Shelly Watts
MBA Admit.com

tibbyme wrote:
Hello Dr. Watts!

I would be grateful for some of your insight. I'm currently 23 and looking to apply in 2 years.

I graduated from the University of California-Riverside in 2010 with a GPA of around 3.21 (I fell off the path 3rd quarter of freshman year and spent the next 3 years trying to bring it up). During UG, I studied abroad in Hong Kong for a year and had extracurriculars (swimming for HKUST's swim team, volunteering with the international education center and with the Student Organization for Advising Peers).

During my senior year at UCR, I worked for a small company as an account executive doing pretty much a little bit of everything. I became the only sales person/account executive at my company in my last half year or there and pretty much handled all accounts except for Europe and Asia. I worked at that company for 1 year before switching to my current position, Peace Corps Volunteer in Uganda.

Here in Uganda, I work with a small organization that helps orphans and disabled children. My primary duties right are now creating sustainable income generation activities and helping the organization restructure itself to create a sustainable and efficient management team and leadership system. Eventually, time permitting, we will also focus on expanding the programs offered by the organization.

As I haven't taken the GMAT yet, I can't give you a score. However, I do feel that I should be able to score at least 580-600 as of right now but will be hoping for eventually a 700. But on the off chance that I end up with a score in the 600s, how do you suppose my chances at some of the better MBA schools (Harvard, Duke (and their fellows program), Dartmouth, etc.) and others like Babson would be? I know my mathematical background isn't as strong as many of the other candidates but I was wondering if my experience in Peace Corps would help even my odds. After service, I will have just under 4 years of work experience.

I'd appreciate any advice!

Thank you!
Send PM
Expert Reply

[highlight]Ask about our Buy-1-Get-1-Free Gold Package Special - Valid through February 18, 2012.[/highlight]

MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable top-quality MBA admissions consulting companies, with prices nearly 50% lower than our direct competitors.

Hi Rishabh,

Sorry about the delay in responding. We have been busy putting together some great ebooks that we will soon be offering on our website.

How are things working out? You have solid academic credentials that should position you well in the admissions process. Your extracurricular activities are outstanding also. Your strengths, therefore, are considerable and are much more distinct than many candidates I work with successfully as they seek admission to top 10 schools.

Your weaknesses are the short duration of your work experience and also your LT goal, which sounds very generic (you can imagine the number of Indian ‘foreign national’ candidates who write that they are seeking to start their own technology company). You will want to define your vision for your LT goal much more for the committee and make the vision compelling. While your work experience should not be a problem for the Harvard 2+2, for the other top-10 business schools, they may likely think you are a great candidate but that you need to pick up some solid work experience, and then you would have much more to contribute to the program.

Best wishes,
Shelly Watts
MBA Admit.com

https://www.mbaadmit.com

rish2jain wrote:
Hello Dr. Watts,

Please evaluate my profile and provide me guidance on which B-schools should I select.

My MBA interest: FT, General Management or finance
GMAT (on July 30, 2011) - 770 (Q50, V44, AWA 6.0)

Was selected for the first batch of Indian School of Business(ISB) Young Leaders Programme, class of 2015.

Total Work Exp: FT 0 PT 2.5 years

I worked part-time alongside college for 2.5 years in a software company. I started as an intern and then eventually moved on to taking commercial projects for the company on contract basis. I helped them start the mobile software department, hiring and training people. I also was the team leader for the department and was heavily involved in dealing with the clients.

I currently hold a job offer from Citrix Systems.

Sex – Male
Age – 23 yrs
Nationality - Indian

Education:
B. E. (IT) from Jadavpur Univ, passing out in 2012.
GPA 8.52 out of 10
XII – 78.8%, CBSE board
X – 83.6%, Maharashtra board

ECs:
1. Nominated for the National Youth Award, 2012 for social service by the Government of India for my work for an NGO working for rural healthcare
2. Selected by the Government of India as a delegate to China for the India China Youth Exchange Program, 2011
3. Came 3rd in interschool debate in 10th standard in Mumbai in a city level debate competition
4. Came 2nd in under-15 throwball competition in Mumbai District
5. Best all-rounder in school in 10th standard
6. Held the post of monitor all through school life. Was prefect and assistant prefect of my house as well.

Aim: I want to join a venture capital working in the area of technology. After working there for 5-6 years I want to start up my own technology firm.

I would like to know:

1. How my profile looks for an MBA from the top 10-20 B-schools?
2. What, in your opinion, is my strengths and weakness reflected in my profile?
3. Please mention what should I do to make my case stronger for final call.
4. I am applying to HBS 2+2 and Stanford round 2. What do you think my chances are?

Thanks!
Rishabh Jain
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hi Dr. Watts,

Long time reader, first time poster. This is a great forum and I appreciate the feedback you provide. If you could evaluate my profile, that would be great. Thanks.

Education - 3.45 GPA from top 10 undergrad business school on east coast. Major in Accounting. CPA.

Work Experience - 4 years at matriculation of big 4 audit experience on the east coast with a focus in Healthcare, specifically working on the provider/hospital side.

GMAT: 700 (Q45 V40)

EC's: Working on the committee of an organization focused on special needs individuals. Additionally, part of a local committee healthcare organization that conducts seminars on accounting/revenue reimbursement specific to the healthcare industry. United way and Junior Achievement Volunteer.

Post MBA: I would like to get my MBA to make the transition to Management Consulting focusing in the healthcare industry, specifically on the payer/provider side. I would like to use this consulting experience to eventually work at an high level position at a hospital.

I am looking at Yale, Wharton, Northwestern, Harvard, Booth, Ross, and Fuqua. I would like to get into a school where I can focus on management/strategy as well as healthcare management.

Do I have a chance at any of these schools? For schools that offer a Healthcare program, are these generally more selective, or does it bring a form of uniqueness to my resume. Many thanks for your evaluations.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '15
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46
Send PM
Hi Dr. Watts,

I would appreciate your input and suggestions on how to put my best foot forward for MBA admissions. Here is a bit about myself:

Background and education:
24 years old at time of application
Chinese-born American
GMAT: 750 (47Q/46v) – a bit concerned about below 80% Q
3.5 GPA at Georgetown School of Foreign Service
Study abroad at London School of Economics

Work:
1.5 years at Google (YouTube) at time of application
1 year at $30billion assets under management investment firm

Extracurriculars:
Passed CFA Level I
Undergraduate research in China
Board member of tutoring group for underprivileged
Writing – published in Time Magazine
Congressional intern
Intramural sports

Goals:
Work at the crossroads of China, Tech, and Finance or Management. Namely interested in venture capital, strategic role at Tech Fortune 500, or management consulting with Tech focus.

Schools:
Stanford
HBS
Wharton (Lauder)
Kellogg (JD?/MBA)
London Business School
suggestions?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
Hello Dr. Watts,

Thank you for all of the contributions; they have been a valuable resource. I was wondering if you could provide a profile evaluation?

GMAT: 740 (Q48 V42)

GPA: 3.77 from the Ohio State University, B.S. Industrial and Systems Engineering (with Honors in Engineering), Entrepreneurship minor (4.0 minor GPA).

Work Experience:
Will have 2.5 years full-time at MBA start date (2013). I also have 4 engineering co-op quarters with the same company in a similar role. Industrial Engineer for a Fortune 100 retail company on the Inventory Optimization team. Our group works as internal consultants for various supply chain, logistics, and strategy initiatives. Some major projects have been leading a re-structure of store planograms that reduced inventory by 25% while improving service levels, supporting a new vendor managed inventory program, supporting gross margin optimization initiative with replenishment speed being the primary focus, and leading a data sandbox project that provides previously inaccessible details about store-sku inventory and forecasts that has supported a variety of pilot projects with data/analysis. I also have experience with DC capacity and productivity, forecasting inventory, managing sales forecast errors, and managing aged inventory. I am MOST (work measurement system) certified and manage our team's co-op program, with one co-op working under me. I won an award for the outstanding co-op of Spring 2009 for all Ohio State Engineers. I self-taught myself SQL and am an expert Access and Excel user.

Extracurriculars:
-Marketing volunteer with Power Inspires Progress, a social outreach program that employs and mentors inner city residents
-Writer for Hoperatives, the largest Cincinnati Craft Beer Blog, award winning homebrewer and certified beer judge

In college, I was involved in Social Entrepreneurship through two projects:
-The first involved Montana De Luz, an orphanage for kids with HIV/AIDS in Honduras. Work there included making the facility more energy efficient and meeting with the local Honduran government to gather information about regulating energy costs. The work was presented at the undergraduate research forum at Ohio State.
-The second was conducting Search Engine Optimization and Web Strategy for a start up non-profit seeking to fine a cure for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. This involved partnering with a local web marketing company and performing target keyword analyses for a fundraising 5k.

My interested areas of study are Marketing, Venture Capital, and Social Entrepreneurship. My ideal post-MBA job would be working in marketing for a social entrepreneurial venture or as an analyst for a social venture capital firm. I plan on applying to Stanford, Harvard, Penn, Northwestern, Duke, MIT, and UVA. I know my work experience is on the light side, but I think the diversity of work I have done, as well as the co-op terms, could make up for this.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Steve
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Dr. Watts,

I sent you a personal mail on your website. My highest GMAT score to date is 340 and I intend to retake the test by May end - I need suggestions and strategy on how to achieve a score of 600+.

With a GPA of 2.75 of 5, I intend to apply to Cornell, Emory, Schulich and Ivey for the class starting in 2013. My work experience as a relationship manager in a commercial bank will be 7 years by April 2013 and I have been promoted 3 times with several awards.

Kindly access my chances at these schools.

Thank you.
Yemisi
Send PM
Expert Reply

[highlight]Ask about our Buy-1-Get-1-Free Gold Package Special - Valid through March 31, 2012.[/highlight]

Hi ww1010,

Thanks for the inquiry. Congrats on the wonderful GMAT score. That will be a big help. You also have a very impressive background. You have great extracurricular activities! You will also bring fascinating work experience to the classroom with your Google/YouTube experience. Those are all significant assets for you in the admissions process.

Your greatest weakness might be your age and length of work experience. But HBS and Stanford tend to admit candidates on the younger end, so I would hope that your length of work experience would not be a problem. If you had four years of work experience instead of three, you might be a stronger candidate (i.e., potentially more leadership experiences to write about), but if you want to go to business school soon, you may get some great outcomes given the strength of your overall record.

Best wishes,
Shelly Watts
MBA Admit.com

ww1010 wrote:
Hi Dr. Watts,

I would appreciate your input and suggestions on how to put my best foot forward for MBA admissions. Here is a bit about myself:

Background and education:
24 years old at time of application
Chinese-born American
GMAT: 750 (47Q/46v) – a bit concerned about below 80% Q
3.5 GPA at Georgetown School of Foreign Service
Study abroad at London School of Economics

Work:
1.5 years at Google (YouTube) at time of application
1 year at $30billion assets under management investment firm

Extracurriculars:
Passed CFA Level I
Undergraduate research in China
Board member of tutoring group for underprivileged
Writing – published in Time Magazine
Congressional intern
Intramural sports

Goals:
Work at the crossroads of China, Tech, and Finance or Management. Namely interested in venture capital, strategic role at Tech Fortune 500, or management consulting with Tech focus.

Schools:
Stanford
HBS
Wharton (Lauder)
Kellogg (JD?/MBA)
London Business School
suggestions?

Thanks!
Send PM
Expert Reply

[highlight]Ask about our Buy-1-Get-1-Free Gold Package Special - Valid through March 31, 2012.[/highlight]

Hi yemmygb,

Your first task is to get your GMAT score up. The GMAT has a considerable impact on outcomes if the school requires a GMAT score for admission. You definitely should try to score at least in the 660 range. Depending on your profile (country of origin, gender, ethnicity, age), you may need an even higher score. That is, if your "profile" represents an over-represented pool in MBA admissions, you may need to score closer to the 700 range. Your GPA may also be a challenge... If you find you do not have luck in gaining admission to full-time MBA programs, consider looking at part-time programs or EMBA programs , and think also about programs that do not require a GMAT score.

In my opinion, the best way to boost a score significantly is to find a prep course that is suited to your needs and budget. Use that prep course to learn useful GMAT test-taking skills.

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel (Shelly Watts)
MBA Admit.com

yemmygb wrote:
Hello Dr. Watts,

I sent you a personal mail on your website. My highest GMAT score to date is 340 and I intend to retake the test by May end - I need suggestions and strategy on how to achieve a score of 600+.

With a GPA of 2.75 of 5, I intend to apply to Cornell, Emory, Schulich and Ivey for the class starting in 2013. My work experience as a relationship manager in a commercial bank will be 7 years by April 2013 and I have been promoted 3 times with several awards.

Kindly access my chances at these schools.

Thank you.
Yemisi
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Hi Dr. Watts,

I was applying to four schools for Fall 2012, Johnson, Kelley, Kenan-Flagler, Marshall. I am being dinged for Kelley and Kenan-Flagler so far while Johnson placed me on waitlist without the interview and nothing from Marshall yet.
All of them were applied in R2 and now I am panic whether I should prepare for re-apply next year.
My latest GMAT score was 640 (Q47, V 30, AWA 5.5) and that was the third time I took it. The previous GMAT was 620 (Q49, V25, AWA 4.5).
Working experience is: 2 years as a licensed banker with one of the largest retail bank in the US, 1 year as a stock broker with a mid-size local firm. Also, a comprehensive accounting contract experience for 1 year in San Francisco. Total years of experience are 4 years. In addition, received a promotion to become a registered client associate within the investment department back in Nov, majority assisting financial advisors on analysis report generation and client inquiry, not sure if this would help.
Academic: I was graduated from University of Arizona in the US as finance major in 2007, not an ivy school with a major GPA of 3.23/4.00.
Activities post-graduate: Being volunteer with different projects organized by the company, e.g., adopt-a-family, helping Salvation Army assist foster children, homeless family,etc.
Background: Chinese American, was born and raised in Hong Kong. Planning to re-take CFA level 1 in December this year. Short-term goal post-graduate plans to work in I-Bank as securities analyst for emerging market in the East Coast. Long-term goal plans to become entrepreneur for an advisory/consulting firm in HK. (Very typical and common goal)
I have updated with Johnson (Cornell) that additional recommendation will be provided no later than the first week of April and an updated resume will be sent with my promotion. Plan to re-take the GMAT, but no really ready to exceed 640 yet.
My question is:
1. Should I re-take the GMAT anyways?
2. Should I withdraw my rest of applications for this year? (seems like Johnson and Marshall are harder to get in compare to Kelley and KF)
3. If I do re-apply next year for the same schools, would they favor in re-applicants?
4. Should I consider consulting advice for schools? (Those are very EXPENSIVE)
5. If re-applying, what other programs should I consider?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: AGSM '16
GPA: 4
Send PM
Dear Dr. Watts,

gave my gmat yesterday..got 720(Q48 V41). Now faced with the question - which schools am i looking at with this score and my profile!?

Profile:

male/23/ Indian

Undergrad: ( B. E. -Chemical Engineering) - from Manipal Institute of Technology (among the top 15 colgs in India) - 2010
- graduated summa cum laude

Masters: (M. Tech. - Energy Studies) - from IIT Delhi ( among the top 3 colgs in India) - 2012
- gpa of 8.63/10 ( among the top 5 on the class)
- completing the course in may 2012

GMAT: 720 - Q48 (80th percentile) and V41(92nd percentile), AWA (expected >5)

Work Ex: None as of yet. Aiming to apply for Fall 2014.
- Gonna work as a Consultant in one of the Big 4 consulting firms from June 2012 ( So can clock in 2 years work
ex. by the time of applying to colgs)

Projects:
- conducted an energy audit of a petroleum refinery for 6 months, the observations and sugestions of which resulted in significant savings for the refinery. (Undergrad project)
- developed a new diesel fuel (diesel microemulsion fuel) as a part of Masters project.

Extra Curriculars:
Positions of Responsibility:
- Was the President of the Student Council during Under Grad. - work involved conducting fests, student welfare activites, community service activities, etc.)
- Management Captain of a team that designed and built a baja to take part in the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) International Baja Competition 2009 (ranked 62nd out of 120). Work involved procuring funds for the project, advertising, budgeting and a lot of co-ordinating with the colg authorities.
- Secretary of a National Technical Club (Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers)
- M. Tech. Representative in the Students Affairs Council during Graduation ( Masters program)

Sports:
- a career in free style skating (1995 to 2004)- won national level prizes (gold - 11, silver - 8, bronze -6)
- badminton player - member of the colg team during Under Grad.
- Chess: ranked 16th in the state level open chess tournament

Could you pls give me an idea as to which schools could i consider "safe" or competitive or stretch with this profile and a 720 on the gmat?? I am very keen to pursue an mba in technology management or human resource development.

Thanks!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello ,

Below is an excerpt of my profile.Please evaluate my profile and provide your valuable feedback/suggestions

Name:Gopal Panigrahy / 30 Y/ Male

Citizenship: INDIA

Qualification: B.E in Computer Science and Engineering- 78%/2004 (75% is the score for distinction in the university).Just adding this point, if it is noteworthy. The highest percentage attained in the CSE stream was 84% and I am ranked in the top 5.If required can get a recommendation letter from the university.

Query: I understand Adcoms use various merit methods to convert the percentage into CGPA/GPA for evaluation. So, I am not quite sure, on conversion, how the CGPA/GPA would look like. Please provide your comments on this.

Work Experience: 7 years 9 months of experience in Insurance/Accounting and Telecom software development industry.

Gist of my WE:

Overall International Exposure: 1.5 years at various locations such as Liverpool/London (UK), Dallas (TX) and Los Angeles (CA).

Current Exp:

Project Manager – SAP services at Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) for a European Telecom Client.

Duration: 1.5 Years

Managing a team of 20+ associates

I have contributed significantly towards the revenue growth by acquiring many multimillion dollar projects and by successfully executing them. In the last 3 quarters (Q2-Q4), the team size under SAP Services portfolio has doubled and revenue realization has stayed quite higher than the corporate set figures.

Prior Exp:

Business Development Lead at Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC)
Duration: 4 Years
Software Engineer at Accenture Services Pvt Ltd
Duration: 2.2 Years

Awards & Recognitions:
1. Certificate of Appreciation (innovation - MCCA MMS project) - CSC India, 2010
2. Certificate of Appreciation (innovation - MCCA RFR project) - CSC India, 2010
3. Certificate of Appreciation (Delivery) - CSC India, 2010
4. Special Recognition Award - CSC United States (At Client Location, LosAngeles), 2008
5. High performance Delivered Award - Accenture (RSA Client), 2007
6. Instant Karma Award - Accenture, 2006
7. Super trooper Award - Accenture, 2006
8. JSE Achievers Award - Accenture, 2005

Query: Please provide your feedback on my WE.I would still like to invest a year to shape up my WE, if required. Basically I would like to do anything that can help me offset my low GMAT score.

GMAT Score:

GMAT 1: 470 (Q48,V11)
GMAT 2: 630(Q48, V28)
GMAT 3: 600(Q48, V24)
GMAT 4: 660(Q48, V34)

I do not wish to retake the test. I am done with it. It is not that I have given up, but I feel I am shelling out lot of my valuable time to attain the 700 mark. Although 700+ is a strong criteria for many good colleges,I would like to manage without that score.

Query: I am targeting for only 1 year MBA programs. Please advise on the colleges that I can apply in India and abroad. I understand that I need to be more specific on my question. But at this very moment, I am not able to figure out the best chances I have for the top 30 colleges.

Extracurricular Activity:

Member of a voluntary organization (in TCS) that works for various social causes. I mostly contribute towards educating homeless children and arranging funds from TCS – associates by demonstrating various social problems through articles in newsletters, cultural events etc.

Since a decade, I am working in one of the rural areas for various developments, such as facilitating a library, drinking water etc. There are many areas that I have worked and I can provide an elaborate list of my work. Well, I am not sure if any proof of such activities will be needed, but I can get a recommendation letter from the govt appointed committee.

Query: Please comment if such involvements can add value to my profile. I am ready to invest more number of years, if required, towards any other suggested extracurricular activities.

Why MBA? :

Short Term Goal (5 to 10 years): Business / IT consulting. To gain Industry exposure in the realm of setting up, reforming and executing various business models operative across different industry verticals.

Long term Goal (10 years +): Establishing a firm that would engage in various business consulting activities. Also, I have the aspiration to establish a network of non-profit consulting firm (driven by the above mentioned profit organization) that would engage in helping various small industries to establish (particularly in rural areas).I have not really got the framework on paper but I am working on it. The idea is to pool the knowledge and experience of many people like you and me into a single stream that can make few lives better. The motive is “To make one single place better to live”.

Query: In sum, this is what I have in me and this is what I want to do. I understand that I may not make into the top notch colleges because of a low GMAT score. But I would be happy if any decent college (that would mind accepting my profile) can help me to reach my goals.

Please comment/advise on the B schools that I can apply. Please, also, comment on my profile and suggest any improvements that can make my profile better.

I value your time .Thanks in advance

Cheers,
GKP
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Dr. Watts,

Thanks in advance for taking your time out to review my profile. Your response will be highly appreciated! Here is a brief resume:

Citizenship – Russian Federation
Nationality – mixed
Age - 23 years old
Gender - male

a) Work Experience: I left my company 2 months ago so that to get prepared for the forthcoming admission process and GMAT particularly. Is it going to be considered unwise decision or on the contrary may prove my desire for getting into a school?

Total work experience: 4 years by now (including 3 years during the studying)

It should be mentioned, that even though most of work experience was gained during my education, it was a full-time job requiring me to stay in the office for the whole day. I was the only student on my faculty, who received a personal permission from the dean not to attend the classes and to take all the written tests, exams and essays during exams and weekends.

1 year – working for a Russian company as a purchasing manager. The company sells electronics, manufactured in China – OEM. I entered the company as an assistant to the manager and within 3 months was promoted to manager. I mainly dealt with purchasing and logistics but was also responsible for the advertising and the maintenance of the web site. Around 3-4 months before I left the company I also became responsible for the sales through Internet and soon Internet shops turned out to be the main source of distribution.

1 year – working for a Russian company as a senior purchasing manager (team leader for purchasing). The company deals with conveyor part equipment, supplying it to Russian plants from European countries. When hiring me for this position, the company set a goal to diversify the supply channels and to find Asian analogues to European products. By the time I left the company almost 70% of all the products were purchased from Chinese manufacturers, relations with which were established by me. Besides, as a team leader, I substantially streamlined the process of handling the inquiries by developing a prototype of CRM and devising standard forms for inner commercial documents.

2 years – working for a Russian company (with branches in India and China) as a team leader for international trading. The company is one of Russian leaders for chemical trading. It also has a plant in Moscow, which has the biggest capacities in Russia for polymers recycling.
I was hired as a project manager and after 2 months was promoted to a team leader. By the time, I left the company, the team (7 people) had been named “The most efficient” one 8 times (out of 24 months). During the last 6 months, my team was having the highest rate of collected revenue and profit among all the other teams in the company.
Was awarded as “The best new employee in 2010”.

b) International Exposure: I’m afraid that the only cases I might mention here are dozens of business trips to South Korea, China and India and a few to Europe, all of which implied direct negotiations with local leading manufacturers. I’m not sure whether they could be accounted.

c) GMAT: 690 – 47Q (76%), 38V (83%)
1st attempt

d) Education:

1. Specialist (Russian analogue to bachelor which takes 5 years instead of 4)
Subject – Civil Law
University – one of Russian top Universities for Humanities
GPA – 3,53

2. Bachelor of Economics (International trade)
University – one of Russian top Universities for Economics
GPA – 4.0 (still studying and will graduate in January 2013)

e) Schools short listed:
- Wharton Business School
- Yale SOM
- MIT Sloan
- Chicago Booth
- Kellogg
- Harvard
- Stanford
- Duke

I am actually quite confused with my GMAT results which I’ve just obtained today as I was going to apply to the schools during the first stream in October and I’m afraid I might not manage to prepare the essays and get recommendations if I have to study for Integrated reasoning part and try to pass the test again.

So your opinion on the promises of my resume will be very valuable.

Is there a chance that the schools will seriously consider me with my background and even though I’m only 23 y.o.?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Hi Dr. Watts,

Thanks in advance for looking at my profile. I do plan on taking the GMAT again as my scores did not reflect how I did in practice exams. I receieved a 660 (41Q, 40V) and a 6.0 in AWA. During my practice exams I had always scored at least a 50 in quant, although I scored MUCH lower in my verbal. So studying up to take the exam again in August and apply for Jan 2013 for Part-time Programs

I do hope to get into NYU Stern's part time program for January 2013. That's basically my top choice as of now. Other schools I will be applying to are Rutgers (bottom choice but safety) and Fordham. If you have any other suggestions of school I should look at with good part-time programs in NJ/NY, please let me know!

Female
23 y/o (24 by the time I apply)
Asian
Central NJ
2 years of Finance expereince (BNY Mellon Alternative Investment Services- Fund Analyst)

I will definitely have solid recommendations from my current superior, former Vice President, and another Manager from Accounting whom I work closely with.

Rutgers (New Brunswick) - BA in Economics GPA 2.9

GMAT 660

MBA Goals: Finance & Entrepreneurship
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Dr. Shel Watts,

I would like to know your views on my full time MBA candidacy for top schools for 2013 start. Thank you for taking the time out to review my profile. Let me give you a brief on my resume (attached with the mail) so that you can have a better understanding of the same:

a) Work Experience 1: I work as the Principal Manager for Strategy and New Initiatives at Morarka Foundation. Morarka Foundation is a leading microfinance and resource organization offering solutions for sustainable agriculture. Morarka works with more than five million people across fifteen states of India.

My responsibilities at work are two pronged. The first aspect involves strategy creation on developing sustainable models for the conversion of agriculture to agribusiness and setting up linkages with banks for micro-finance funds to rural ventures. The models I develop are cover the complete value chain of the agribusiness model, including capacity building, supply chain management, sustainability, and growth. The second aspect involves project coordination, set up, and implementation for small ventures run by Women Self Help Groups (SHGs) and small farmers

b) Work Experience 2: PE/M&A analyst at a leading Indian investment bank. Have gained ~2 years of work experience (front end investment banking). I have worked on various deals, some of them have been the biggest in their sectors in India and also been part of the bank\'s business development exercise. Was solely responsible for originating a see side mandate for an Indian sugar company ($20 mn)

b) International Exposure: Apart from my one year stint in the UK during my masters (A top British Uni), I don’t really have any international exposure. Having said that, I do work with a lot of mid-market and boutique investments banks in US and UK which might count as “international exposure”.

c) GMAT: I have a GMAT score of 650

d) Social Involvement: I have worked with C.O.R.P for one year teaching English in a municipal school in Mumbai

e) Investment banking background: Mid-market investment banks in India give a better profile and exposure to its analysts as compared to their peers in the US and Europe. I have worked on live deals and also been a part of the business development exercise of the bank which is rare in global banks or US banks where analysts have a limited role.

f) Education: BA (Economics) ~3.8 GPA and university Maths topper at Mumbai University, one of the oldest and prestigious arts and science college in India. (MSc) Masters in Finance and Economics from a top British b-school.

g) post MBA goals: I would like to leverage my investment banking and micro-finance experience to work with a social fund that caters to start-ups that cater to the population at the bottom of the social pyramid. I would also like to work with a boutique bank with strong focus on niche sectors like micro-finance, e-governance etc (since i have experience in these sectors). These goals seem inline with my career progression and hopefully will be something that the admission committee will be able to digest.

h) Schools short listed: - Cornell

- Tuck

- Wharton

- Chicago Booth

- Kellogg

- Tepper School

- INSEAD

- Duke

- Ross

- NYU

Please do let me know if my choice of schools is apt for my resume. Your thoughts will be deeply appreciated. Thank you again for all your help and support.

Hoping to hear soon from you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Sex : M
Work Ex: 25months (36+months at Fall 2013 MBA Start) at Deloitte Consulting
Professional Role: Java Developer for first 18 months(involved in functional areas as well), identified as indispensable team member by Manager, Team Lead, Senior Manager, other seniors in terms of commitment, highly analytical skills and most importantly the innate charm(few of the ladies ineptly call me a rockstar) which makes my previous team miss me - be at work, or at professional outings.

Since past 6months, I have been involved in improvising Enterprise Value Delivery for projects, or in simpler terms - improvising processes in a SDLC lifecycle. This involves discussion with a panel of Managers, Senior Managers, at times Directors ;getting inputs(Read getting work done) from managers; heard & recognized for value adds (Read management tips) to seniors - aren't all these best leadership examples because they come out of substance and not by virtue of one's position in the firm.
Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 720 (Q50,V36, AWA/IR-awaited) in a week's prep
UnderGrad: BTech in ECE (GPA 6.43/10) from Factual Rank 7 college in India; admission criteria is getting in less than 1% of set of students double that of total appearing for GMAT in a year.
Target Schools(not necessarily in order) : ISB, HBS, Stanford, Wharton, MIT Sloan

If my application deems fit to be read at these schools, then, most definitely, I have a very compelling story(above one is a very brief synopsis) to tell including my past failures, recent successes and a relentless quest to conceive my crystal clear vision for the next 10 years (including the 2 years at B school).
If not, please advise if I need to re-appear for the GMAT and thereby knock off the time for my R1 application process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Are the schools in my list ideal for my intended career goals? Are there any other schools that i should consider?

Thanks!

Originally posted by strangebrew on 03 Aug 2012, 08:45.
Last edited by strangebrew on 06 Feb 2013, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Hi Dr shel,

any views on courses by MBAMath.com?? some testimonials claim students wid low gpa were accepted after sending in a transcript. Actually that makes much more sense than an alternative transcript because they teach quant pertinent to what a prospective student is gonna learn in B-school. I am not questioning sensibility of adcom but why make a guy do a course in pure microeconomis when you can make him do a course in subjects that are exactly going to be taught in class. Wouldn't such classes boost up the academic ability of the class?? Tuck ad Cornell seem to agree and a lot of schools buy subscription to MBAMath.com

more specifically could you comment on HBS adcom's take on this??
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12