Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Wharton
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Retail)
Send PM
Re: Verbal: RC help! [#permalink]
Dear Rhyme,

I partially agree with your idea. This is exactly what I did to get a 29 in TOEFL ibt reading. I would call it a wise note-taking which can help you 1) grasp the whole idea by reading most important sentences and 2) navigate to the exact location of the detail asked in detail questions. However, it doesn't guarantee that you'll never need to return to text to read a FULL paragraph. My opposite idea is rooted in your sentence "the main point of each paragraph lies in the 1st sentence", which I believe not to apply to all paragraphs. The concluding sentence may be at least as important as the topic sentence to which you are pointing. To my mind, it's better to skim the rest of the sentence NOT just to hunt for numbers, specific names and so on but to get any info expected to help you answer the questions. There's no doubt that the 1st sentence (and the last of course) must be paid better attention compared to the middle sentences, but it doesn't mean that the middle sentences are inferior enough to be abridge to some discrete, isolated words. I believe investing on reading the passage is not sth to worry about since it can help you regain the lost time by not needing to flash back to the text when started to answer the questions.

I haven't yet started GMAT RC. I will later update when I have gone through it.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [3]
Given Kudos: 57
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Wharton
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Dear Rhyme,

I partially agree with your idea. This is exactly what I did to get a 29 in TOEFL ibt reading. I would call it a wise note-taking which can help you 1) grasp the whole idea by reading most important sentences and 2) navigate to the exact location of the detail asked in detail questions. However, it doesn't guarantee that you'll never need to return to text to read a FULL paragraph. My opposite idea is rooted in your sentence "the main point of each paragraph lies in the 1st sentence", which I believe not to apply to all paragraphs. The concluding sentence may be at least as important as the topic sentence to which you are pointing. To my mind, it's better to skim the rest of the paragraph NOT just to hunt for numbers, specific names and so on, but to get any info expected to help you answer the questions. There's no doubt that the 1st sentence (and the last of course) must be paid better attention compared to the middle sentences, but it doesn't mean that the middle sentences are inferior enough to be abridged to some discrete, isolated key words. I believe investing on reading the passage patiently is not sth to worry about since it can help you regain the lost time by not needing to flash back to the text when started to answer the questions. To be more specific, I didn't get the meaning of ALGAE when reading your notes but immediately could guess the meaning while reading (not skimming the paragraph= not reading your notes= but reading the paragraph patiently).
Moreover, in this case, when you have both a mental map and notes at hand, you can start the question with higher self-confidence compared to when you jump to the questions with just some notes and a shattered understanding of the text (as you yourself have admitted in your post and my experience with ALGAE)

One point I wish to emphasize here is the importance of improving one skill in your reading, everybody!
I would call it your mind's ability to control your eyes speed, or EMASA (Eye movement automatic speed adaptation), my own acronym :-D . I DO believe that after reading enough of texts and getting familiar with question types, your eyes can be intelligently adjusting their own speed to reach a balance between time saving and good comprehension. That is, your reading style can be a combination of reading attentively and skimming at the same time, alternatively based on what you are reading at the moment. E.i. your eyes unconsciously know that they should speed down when reading through,say, definitions and they also know that they should speed up while reading about, say, an example of a phenomenon you just digested in the last sentence.

I haven't yet started GMAT RC. I will later update when I have gone through it. But this is what I have come to understand about RC after several years of voraciously reading English literature and other stuff (hold my BA in English literature). I don't consider a big difference between GMAT RC and other RCs expect the time constraint, which as I said can be alleviated by keeping in mind that spending on reading is compensated by a high ROI in answering the questions without referring to the text.

Hope it helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
Send PM
saeedt wrote:
Dear Rhyme,

I partially agree with your idea. This is exactly what I did to get a 29 in TOEFL ibt reading. I would call it a wise note-taking which can help you 1) grasp the whole idea by reading most important sentences and 2) navigate to the exact location of the detail asked in detail questions. However, it doesn't guarantee that you'll never need to return to text to read a FULL paragraph. My opposite idea is rooted in your sentence "the main point of each paragraph lies in the 1st sentence", which I believe not to apply to all paragraphs. The concluding sentence may be at least as important as the topic sentence to which you are pointing. To my mind, it's better to skim the rest of the paragraph NOT just to hunt for numbers, specific names and so on, but to get any info expected to help you answer the questions. There's no doubt that the 1st sentence (and the last of course) must be paid better attention compared to the middle sentences, but it doesn't mean that the middle sentences are inferior enough to be abridged to some discrete, isolated key words. I believe investing on reading the passage patiently is not sth to worry about since it can help you regain the lost time by not needing to flash back to the text when started to answer the questions. To be more specific, I didn't get the meaning of ALGAE when reading your notes but immediately could guess the meaning while reading (not skimming the paragraph= not reading your notes= but reading the paragraph patiently).
Moreover, in this case, when you have both a mental map and notes at hand, you can start the question with higher self-confidence compared to when you jump to the questions with just some notes and a shattered understanding of the text (as you yourself have admitted in your post and my experience with ALGAE)

One point I wish to emphasize here is the importance of improving one skill in your reading, everybody!
I would call it your mind's ability to control your eyes speed, or EMASA (Eye movement automatic speed adaptation), my own acronym :-D . I DO believe that after reading enough of texts and getting familiar with question types, your eyes can be intelligently adjusting their own speed to reach a balance between time saving and good comprehension. That is, your reading style can be a combination of reading attentively and skimming at the same time, alternatively based on what you are reading at the moment. E.i. your eyes unconsciously know that they should speed down when reading through,say, definitions and they also know that they should speed up while reading about, say, an example of a phenomenon you just digested in the last sentence.

I haven't yet started GMAT RC. I will later update when I have gone through it. But this is what I have come to understand about RC after several years of voraciously reading English literature and other stuff (hold my BA in English literature). I don't consider a big difference between GMAT RC and other RCs expect the time constraint, which as I said can be alleviated by keeping in mind that spending on reading is compensated by a high ROI in answering the questions without referring to the text.

Hope it helps!

good comment
+1 kudo :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
I will give this approach a shot and see if I can find some improvement in RC! It has become my GMAT verbal nemesis!

Btw, is the Black Death passage a true GMAT passage? I would kill myself if something so dense shows up in my Test. I guess I can never get to the state where GMAT will dare present me this level of RC :p. But you never know with those stupid GMAT dummy questions, if GMAT decides to tease me with such a monster - I guess I should just skip in that case as I should be sure that it is a dummy question and I definitely don't deserve that respect of such a hard RC. BTW... WHAT DO YOU THINK OF SKIPPING, if you are SURE that you can't get such a hard question, so it has to be a test question?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
the best strategy is do 10 RC daily in the last 30 days of exam...so that you keep momentum before exam in RC
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
deepakjhamb007 wrote:
the best strategy is do 10 RC daily in the last 30 days of exam...so that you keep momentum before exam in RC

Do you mean 10 RC questions or 10 passages? I will puke my stomach out if I did 10 passage a day :p, moreover these isn't as much RC material out there! I hope you mean 2-4 passage a day? :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
KnewtonAlex wrote:
Hello!

I'm going to jump into this spirited thread for a second to see if I can help add some nuances to rhyme's point. He's right, in most ways: reading the entire passage, especially reading it as you would read any other important set of paragraphs in your life, is a waste of time on the GMAT. Do not read to memorize, do not read for serious retention, and do not get caught up in details, lists, lengthy justifications, scientific jargon, or any other complexities, on your passage read. Read the passage with a light, open mind, catching the basic idea of the points and noting the organization (e.g., "ok, this first paragraph explains why this guy's theory about market inefficiency has been overlooked, the second one says why it shouldn't be, the third gives an example of a useful place it could be applied.").

While we try to avoid the word "skim," rhyme is right in that one should NEVER sit down to read the passage as if he or she were sitting in their living room with a pipe and a smoking jacket. The passage is there for REFERENCE. The questions will force test-takers to go back and pick at certain details with a fine-toothed comb, or to draw inferences from single sentences or thoughts. Its not high school or college, where you read the textbook and are then tested on it without being able to go back. So the first read is merely meant for orientation and to get a decent grasp on the subject matter, the author's intentions, and the basic structure.

At Knewton, we recommend an exercise that is so simple that most test-takers don't usually even think about it. Try reading ANYTHING like a GMAT passage; read a news magazine, a short story, your favorite blog, an ad on the bus, the back of an oatmeal box, anything, with the same level of alert referential reading as you expect from yourself on the GMAT. Read it through ONCE, asking yourself as you go, "why is this being written? What is it about? How is it organized? What are the major takeaways?" If you're feeling really good, go back and ask yourself inference questions "The primary concern of this passage is to..." or "The 'investors' in line 6 are most likely to agree with which of the following statements?" or even "which of the following situations is most analogous to the situation outlined in the passage?" Note which details seem the most 'testable' to you. Note points of view: who believes what? What do they use to justify those beliefs?

Getting up to speed on RC is increasing your ability to take in information without READING in the traditional sense, which is what rhyme is after. Happy hunting!

p.s. here's a sample:

Quote:
1) The author of this post's primary purpose is to
a) Supplant rhyme's theory of 'skimming' reading comprehension passages with his own
b) Discuss useful GMAT test-taking strategies and offer relevant examples that are useful to test-takers
c) Encourage test-takers to supplement rhyme's reading comprehension suggestions with practical exercises
d) Raise doubts as to GMAT test-takers' ability to read entire RC passages and answer questions in the allotted time
e) Suggest a variety of practical strategies with which to create sample GMAT inference questions

Thanks for the brief and the points you mentioned in addition to Rhyme's
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks Rhyme for the detailed info on the approach.
I think this is worth a try for everyone out there.

I would also request others who have followed this approach to post a few passages explaining their thought process. I am sure many people are still worried about the use of this technique for answering more general questions.
Rhyme has already explained one such question. But I would still want to have a few more samples explaining the method or approach to answer such questions.

Rhyme has already shown us the path. I cannot ask him to keep on explaining with more examples.
So I would really appreciate if others chip in with few more samples.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95
Send PM
This technique is amazing.

Not sure what else to say. I was having difficulty with the MGMAT RC problem set questions until I began utilizing the method. My overall completion time for a set is down as well as my error rate.

Huge kudos for this!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: HOW TO DESTROY READING COMPREHENSION PASSAGES BY RHYME [#permalink]
Great style and thanks for the information. Even though the inital post is not fresh any more. I will try to practice this approach in my verbal prep periord over the next 3 weeks. THANKS!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Nice post... very well explanied how to deal with RC. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Kudos
I was wondering how applicable this approach is to single dense paragraphs on the RC section.

I was looking at the 12th edition OG RC Q.50 and it's accompanying passage, and it's a killer of a one-paragraph only passage.

Any ideas on how best to tackle it?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Kudos
dpvtank wrote:
I was wondering how applicable this approach is to single dense paragraphs on the RC section.

I was looking at the 12th edition OG RC Q.50 and it's accompanying passage, and it's a killer of a one-paragraph only passage.

Any ideas on how best to tackle it?

To answer my own question, I experimented with the approach with single paragraph passages, and the best technique I've found is to seek out a natural break in the flow of the passage to mentally make it into a separate paragraph. It helps tremendously.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
nice thread,.............

but i think for complex passages you can't skim otherwise you can't serach where to go back for specific question......
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Hi Rhyme,

Of late we have been having RC passages which are only 1 or 2 paragraphs instead of traditional 3 or 4 paras, do you think the mentioned strategy would still work, coz in a 1 paragraph passage, with this strat you study the whole passage.Also I tried your strat for a couple of passages versus traditional "full reading", my hit rate was high only in full reading with both same time duration, does your strat takes more time to evolve?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
hey. should we follow the same approach with short-passages as well? As in short-passages , reading through one para and just reading the first line of second para , doesnt really helps. one ultimately has to go through the second one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Rhyme.

I have been trying to adapt to your technique of solving RC's as they are my pain points too!! (. But I am not getting how can you effectively skim. I have tried a few times and i ended up reading the paragraph and then paraphrasing the whole of it. which obviously not the intent of this technique. I also ended up losing a lot of time paraphrasing the first paragraph too! While your notes look like sentences, my paraphrases looked like a mini paragraph in its own!!

Can you help me with some tips on paraphrasing and skimming. While practicing i also realized that there are 'types'of passages depending on the tone, detail, intent et al of the passage! Is your technique equally applicable to all types and kinds of passages irrespective of the type of content stated.

For e.g I tried this technique on the very first RC in OG 10

I am pasting the RC below. Can you help me do it your way. I wasted too much time owing to the number of Detail and specific questions. I did not have much trouble comprehending the passage, given that I am a science graduate but the chemical jargon made me lose my mind and i had to write down each such term in my paraphrase. So all in all - it dint work for me! Please help if your technique can help in such detail oriented paragraphs or no

READING COMPREHENSION
Passage 1
Caffeine, the stimulant in coffee, has been called
“the most widely used psychoactive substance on Earth .”
Synder, Daly and Bruns have recently proposed that
caffeine affects behavior by countering the activity in
(5) the human brain of a naturally occurring chemical called
adenosine. Adenosine normally depresses neuron firing
in many areas of the brain. It apparently does this by
inhibiting the release of neurotransmitters, chemicals
that carry nerve impulses from one neuron to the next.

(10) Like many other agents that affect neuron firing,
adenosine must first bind to specific receptors on
neuronal membranes. There are at least two classes
of these receptors, which have been designated A1 and
A2. Snyder et al propose that caffeine, which is struc-
(15) turally similar to adenosine, is able to bind to both types
of receptors, which prevents adenosine from attaching
there and allows the neurons to fire more readily than
they otherwise would.

For many years, caffeine’s effects have been attri-
(20) buted to its inhibition of the production of phosphodiesterase,
an enzyme that breaks down the chemical
called cyclic AMP.A number of neurotransmitters exert
their effects by first increasing cyclic AMP concentrations
in target neurons. Therefore, prolonged periods at
(25) the elevated concentrations, as might be brought about
by a phosphodiesterase inhibitor, could lead to a greater
amount of neuron firing and, consequently, to behavioral
stimulation. But Snyder et al point out that the
caffeine concentrations needed to inhibit the production
(30) of phosphodiesterase in the brain are much higher than
those that produce stimulation. Moreover, other compounds
that block phosphodiesterase’s activity are not
stimulants.

To buttress their case that caffeine acts instead by pre-
(35) venting adenosine binding, Snyder et al compared the
stimulatory effects of a series of caffeine derivatives with
their ability to dislodge adenosine from its receptors in
the brains of mice. “In general,” they reported, “the
ability of the compounds to compete at the receptors
40)correlates with their ability to stimulate locomotion in
the mouse; i.e., the higher their capacity to bind at the
receptors, the higher their ability to stimulate locomotion.”
Theophylline, a close structural relative of caffeine
and the major stimulant in tea, was one of the most
(45) effective compounds in both regards.

There were some apparent exceptions to the general
correlation observed between adenosine-receptor binding
and stimulation. One of these was a compound called
3-isobuty1-1-methylxanthine(IBMX), which bound very
(50) well but actually depressed mouse locomotion. Snyder
et al suggest that this is not a major stumbling block to
their hypothesis. The problem is that the compound has
mixed effects in the brain, a not unusual occurrence with
psychoactive drugs. Even caffeine, which is generally
(55) known only for its stimulatory effects, displays this
property, depressing mouse locomotion at very low
concentrations and stimulating it at higher ones.

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) discuss a plan for investigation of a phenomenon that is not yet fully understood
(B) present two explanations of a phenomenon and reconcile the differences between them
(C) summarize two theories and suggest a third theory that overcomes the problems encountered in the first two
(D) describe an alternative hypothesis and provide evidence and arguments that support it
(E) challenge the validity of a theory by exposing the inconsistencies and contradictions in it

2. According so Snyder et al, caffeine differs from adenosine in that caffeine
(A) stimulates behavior in the mouse and in humans, whereas adenosine stimulates behavior in humans only
(B) has mixed effects in the brain, whereas adenosine has only a stimulatory effect
(C) increases cyclic AMP concentrations in target neurons, whereas adenosine decreases such concentrations
(D) permits release of neurotransmitters when it is bound to adenosine receptors, whereas adenosine inhibits such
release
(E) inhibits both neuron firing and the production of phosphodiesterase when there is a sufficient concentration in
the brain, whereas adenosine inhibits only neuron firing

3. In response to experimental results concerning IBMX, Snyder et al contended that it is not uncommon for
psychoactive drugs to have
(A) mixed effects in the brain
(B) inhibitory effects on enzymes in the brain
(C) close structural relationships with caffeine
(D) depressive effects on mouse locomotion
(E) the ability to dislodge caffeine from receptors in the brain

4. According to Snyder et al, all of the following compounds can bind to specific receptors in the brain EXCEPT
(A) IBMX
(B) caffeine
(C) adenosine
(D) theophylline
(E) phosphodiesterase

5. Snyder et al suggest that caffeine’s ability to bind to A1 and A2 receptors can be at least partially attributed to
which of the following?
(A) The chemical relationship between caffeine and phosphodiesterase
(B) The structural relationship between caffeine and adenosine
(C) The structural similarity between caffeine and neurotransmitters
(D) The ability of caffeine to stimulate behavior
(E) The natural occurrence of caffeine and adenosine in the brain

6. The author quotes Snyder et al in lines 38-43 most probably in order to
(A) reveal some of the assumptions underlying their theory
(B) summarize a major finding of their experiments
(C) point out that their experiments were limited to the mouse
(D) indicate that their experiments resulted only in general correlations
(E) refute the objections made by supporters of the older theory""