Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: IMD (M) LBS (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: LBS '14 (I)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
badinventions wrote:
There seems to be a lot of sudden pessimism based on some vague reports of a 'damped mood', which seems strange.

It is strange.
Two years ago I witnessed how numerous newly registered accounts smashed Wharton to the ground. By supporting each other's posts they (most likely that was one or maximum two individuals) came to conclusion that Wharton is a second tier school. That was pathetic.
One of "them" even claimed that he was Wharton alumnus, but when he was asked about his Wharton email he immediately disappeared :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Pedpt wrote:
Guys,
With all due respect to the CEIBS/LBS fellow, he mentions his own experience and that's just it.

He is a CEIBS student who came to LBS as an exchange student. And frankly, I did not see anything shocking in his article. That was his opinion and I personally agree with him to some extent. But that article does not justify attempts of some newly minted users above to smash LBS.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
ArmanS wrote:
It is strange.
Two years ago I witnessed how numerous newly registered accounts smashed Wharton to the ground. By supporting each other's posts they (most likely that was one or maximum two individuals) came to conclusion that Wharton is a second tier school. That was pathetic.
One of "them" even claimed that he was Wharton alumnus, but when he was asked about his Wharton email he immediately disappeared :D

ArmanS,

You're right in the sense that the mood of the community may change as quickly as the winds. This just shows how easily many of us can get swinged into one or the other direction. I'm sure we'll see something similar during recruitment days. This will be the case until the first installment is paid after which I'm sure most of us will turn into even keener supporters of the school of our choice. That's just the way human's psychology works.

I tend to take a more balanced view. Indeed, LBS brand will help people land a job just as INSEAD's brand. Many INSEADers stay in Europe and out of those many go to the UK, so I can't see why LBSers won't be able to compete successfully against the French invasion :)

However, the immigration climate in the UK is worse than it was and perhaps worse than in some other countries - I'm not an expert to judge and it doesn't really concern me at the moment. It is right for people to ask the question though when making such a big commitment and if they have alternative options which are better for them, e.g. because they don't want to go back to work in their home countries but would rather stay in some more developed OECD economy, they should pick what's best for them. If the guy has an option to go to Chicago Booth and if the US immigration climate is better, why not?!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wheretogo wrote:
Libraal,

You are right that visa issues are changing everywhere but in the UK one will have to leave the country almost immediately after completing the MBA whereas in the US one can stay for upto an year and work.

The rush to brush up CVs, interview skills, find internship and employment opportunities starts very early in all schools - almost at the start. Nowhere you will wait until the end of the programme to find the employment. So, if you've got solid CV, skills + choose internships carefully and show yourself best, then I can't see how you would struggle to land a job.

2 years should give you more options to do so than 1 year + LBS flexibility is VERY flexible, i.e. you can start wanting to graduate in 15 months but then change it to 18 or 21 depending on the circumstances.

A lot in one's successful employment will depend on individual circumstances, level of clarity and focus around what one wants.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello All,

I didn't Get any Email from LBS - I tried calling them , and no one picked up the call - What does it mean? Do you guys any delay in sending the status?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: IMD (M) LBS (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Send PM
rajmumfx wrote:
Hello All,

I didn't Get any Email from LBS - I tried calling them , and no one picked up the call - What does it mean? Do you guys any delay in sending the status?

Thanks

Hi Rajmumfx,
About 10 days ago, they were quite responsive by email. I would have expected them to be also by phone. When did you try to contact them?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The last time i called them was on Friday last week

I just needed an answer - denied, wait listed or Accepted..

I saw another applicant in the same forum - had to go through the same difficulty -

Raj
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Just a few observations based on reading the posts from the last couple days:

1. Wheretogo and ArnoldTW joined Gmatclub on Mar 30, 2012 and Mar 31, 2012, respectively;
2. Both Wheretogo and ArnoldTW had only 3 posts in total on gmatclub and all 'their' posts are in the LBS thread;
3. ArnoldTW consistently referred to things posted by Wheretogo;
4. Posts by both Wheretogo and ArnoldTW consist of similar grammar errors; and
5. We all know that LBS just released their R2 decision last Thurs and the waitlist process at LBS is extremely painful. In addition, the more admitted people who decided to turn down their offers, the higher chance waitlisters can get in.

Just my 2 cents.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: LBS '14 (M$)
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Silently watching this discussion, I can't stop wondering how skewed are priorities for some applicants. The ultimate goal for any school is to develop a skillset of a student, which will help him pursue his career goals. There is not a single school which promises you great job with $xxx salary in Z country, is there? It is a consious choice of every single person - whether to go for a business education or not AND to which school trying to maximize value of the investment...

Yes, visa rules made career placement worse. BUT - is a business education ultimately designed to guarantee placement in the UK? NO. If you want to make an MBA or whatever degree for the sake of finding the job in the UK - it is wrong approach (imho) and in this case you should think well before investing $130k+ because degree is not a tool to change a job. It might work but might also not. If there are other reasons for making and MBA (e.g. enhancing your profile, closing the gaps in your competencies etc.) this will definitely pay off as it is designed to make you a better fit for complex jobs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
happyface wrote:

1. Wheretogo and ArnoldTW joined Gmatclub on Mar 30, 2012 and Mar 31, 2012, respectively;
2. Both Wheretogo and ArnoldTW had only 3 posts in total on gmatclub and all 'their' posts are in the LBS thread;
5. We all know that LBS just released their R2 decision last Thurs and the waitlist process at LBS is extremely painful. In addition, the more admitted people who decided to turn down their offers, the higher chance waitlisters can get in.

Just my 2 cents.

ha, desperate times...as they say...interesting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
happyface wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, best of luck to all waitlisters and R3 applicants!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Scholarships update:
Talked to LBS today. If you didn't get a scholarship with the decision, then that means you haven't qualified for an automatic scholarship. The next scholarship review will be held in June.

Also, for the admit weekend, if you want to participate in the dinner, then you need to be in London on Friday evening, i.e. get to London on Thursday evening or Friday morning. On Sunday, activities normally wrap up around 2 PM.

Best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
laman wrote:
Silently watching this discussion, I can't stop wondering how skewed are priorities for some applicants. The ultimate goal for any school is to develop a skillset of a student, which will help him pursue his career goals. There is not a single school which promises you great job with $xxx salary in Z country, is there? It is a consious choice of every single person - whether to go for a business education or not AND to which school trying to maximize value of the investment...

Yes, visa rules made career placement worse. BUT - is a business education ultimately designed to guarantee placement in the UK? NO. If you want to make an MBA or whatever degree for the sake of finding the job in the UK - it is wrong approach (imho) and in this case you should think well before investing $130k+ because degree is not a tool to change a job. It might work but might also not. If there are other reasons for making and MBA (e.g. enhancing your profile, closing the gaps in your competencies etc.) this will definitely pay off as it is designed to make you a better fit for complex jobs.

With all due respect, I beg to disagree laman :).

If one has an option to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, i.e. get a great education and also sort out their travel/work mobility issues, why not do it?

If you're from one of those under-privileged countries that need visas everywhere, like myself, you know how frustrating it can be!
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14 (I)
Send PM
libraal wrote:
Scholarships update:
Talked to LBS today. If you didn't get a scholarship with the decision, then that means you haven't qualified for an automatic scholarship. The next scholarship review will be held in June.

Also, for the admit weekend, if you want to participate in the dinner, then you need to be in London on Friday evening, i.e. get to London on Thursday evening or Friday morning. On Sunday, activities normally wrap up around 2 PM.

Best!

Libraal,

Did they mention the scholarship attribution criteria?

Does anyone have info about the scholarships amount?

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Pedpt wrote:

Libraal,

Did they mention the scholarship attribution criteria?

Does anyone have info about the scholarships amount?

Cheers

No idea Pedpt, I didn't go into that level of detail as it was sufficient for me to know that I didn't get an automatic one.

They are in the process of compiling the offer packs, some of them are already there, however, it will take some time for them to send them out and due to Easter holidays we probably will only get them early next week. Now, they said that those in London are welcome to come and pick their offer packs.

UPD: Also asked about any updates on the HSBC loan and they had no news to share. The message for now is that applicants need to find their sources of funding. I hope that they sort something out, e.g. Prodigy finance scheme already mentioned here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
libraal wrote:
Scholarships update:

Best!

Hey Libraal,
Thx for the information. For the scholarship review in June, I assume it's for the ones that we have to apply seperately?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
happyface wrote:
Hey Libraal,
Thx for the information. For the scholarship review in June, I assume it's for the ones that we have to apply seperately?

Hey Happyface,

No idea, I'll try calling them up tomorrow to clarify if I get time to do it. I suppose in June, there will be the review of all the non-automatic scholarship + whatever the balance left of the automatic scholarships after the R3 may get re-assessed. However, don't take my word for it - it's just an assumption.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27  ...  30   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts