Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Re: Unprofessional Test Center: my tragedy [#permalink]
Thanks for the reply. I would be filing an official complaint, but could you elaborate on what exactly I should ask the center to document for me? Should i ask them to type out an admission that it was in fact their fault or something else?
And also, have you heard of cases where the complaint was solved? Where the person got a free retake or something similar?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos
I'm pretty sure they have a typical form that they will fill out and then you can file it with GMAC. As them for an explanation of the situation and how it hurt your timing/mental capabilities, but don't expect them to take blame for it. It wasn't actually anyone's fault, this stuff just happens, and was a mistake. I have definitely heard of free retakes, so if that is your end goal (since they won't change your score or remove it from your report) I think this is what you should shoot for.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with GMATLA, you definitely want it documented in an official way.
Rather than complaining about the behavior of the employees, you should probably go with the 'technical difficulty which wasn't anybody's fault and made you loose X amount of time' approach.
Given your score and the conditions you took the exam in, I am sure you will be even more successful at your 2nd attempt.
You have 2 months before they upgrade the exam...
Good luck!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sorry to hear about the issue. Can you please post your experience in the Test Center Review area?
https://gmatclub.com/reviews/

You can file a complaint with the GMAC for a voucher to retake the test for free within 31 days. (if this would help). They would most likely grant it since your score is already high (700 is good) and it is obvious you are a guy with 400 complaining that your score should be 650.

That's assuming you want to retake. You most likely can get 20 points on top of your score if you perform as well. Is that a meaningful difference for you? (I am not sure if it is) but if you are Ok with essays and have time then may be worth to have it as an option at least (to have your voucher in back pocket).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you all for replying.
This test means more to me than just academics. It is perhaps more important to me than it is to most people, I can say. But nevertheless, I want a retake but its just that I don't know if I will be able to find the time to study again with work and some family functions around the corner.I hope I don't mess up the retake, if I get one.
Will I be entitled to take a retest within 31 days from the date of my first test, or 31 days from the day they issue me a retake voucher(if at all they do)?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
One question, which test center was this ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This was a Pearson Test Center in Abu Dhabi , United Arab Emirates
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2217 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
If you increase 3 points in Q with your V score remaining the same, you'll increase your overall score by 10 points to a 710. That said, I think Q45 is below 80th percentile so may be thats one incentive for you to retake if Pearson gives you an opportunity FOC.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Kudos
Take the scores with a pinch of salt and go ahead with the same score... You can't gain much in quant but what if u drop ur score in verbal ...that's quite possible becoz this score has been ur best score so far...
Give it a second thought before re-appearing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Hi ijoshi
Bravo!!!!!!!
even in the worst situation you scored 700
Please file a complain and try again . you deserve more.
Congrates....
as you have written , you accuracy in RC was 30-40 % initially, Could you please state near to real exam time what was you accuracy level in verbal to score V40.?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Sorry to hear that you had a troubled experience. However, I would not suggest that you retake the exam. It'll be too much of risk at the score you have.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you guys. Yes, I do consider the risk involved. And the risk is even higher since I have absolutely no time to even keep up with the preparation was doing, leave aside improving it. I am still waiting for a reply from GMAC, lets see.

Anyways, near to my GMAT exam, my accuracy in RC was pretty good. I'd say it was close to 70-80 %. The key is to realize what works for you.Initially I went through the MGMAT RC guide, and spent a lot of time trying to adopt their strategy of making skeleton structures etc for the passages.But my efficiency never improved with that. Although it was a great strategy, and I am sure that it worked for many students, it simply did not work for me. I realized that I was writing the main points, but I wasn't understanding the passage clearly. And since I was taking around 5 minutes or so to make my structure alone, I had no time to re-read the passage after jotting down the structure.
Also, many people advise you to not read the passage at all. Just skim through the details, look for indicators in the passage. But again,that never worked for me. Towards the end of my preparation I realized that I performed the best if I did not make any notes at all. But , I would read the passage carefully and understand what it meant. That's it. That was my key. My accuracy shot up and I gained my confidence back. Also, I must add, towards the end I was practicing with some 4-5 passages everyday with this new strategy. My accuracy with Biology based passages was still in the dump though. I could never understand those. Luckily I never got any Bio passages in the actual exam.

So basically,here is what I did.

1. Got a very good resource of some 120 Passages. Courtesy GMATClub.(attached)
2. Did not make any notes/ skeleton structures of any passages
3. Practiced with 4-5 passages every day

The key is to find you own strategy. Find out what works for YOU.
Attachments

117 GMAT RC Passages.docx [458.88 KiB]
Downloaded 208 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
A similar thing happened to me at a test center in Vijayawada, India. During my quant session, I ran out of noteboard. I informed the invigilator and that guy like an idiot took all the noteboards that I had and I was in the middle of my quant session. He went out of the hall and came back after three minutes. By that time I panicked and freaked out like hell. And as a result, I couldn't concentrate properly for the rest of the session. After the session during the break, I confronted him and he told some of his superiors had called him and he had to attend a phone call. I simply could not believe his negligence as I was preparing for this exam since 3 months and his one miserable action cost me my time and money. All that panicking and stress further affected me in my verbal session. I overall scored 500(Q32, V27). It was my worst score since I had scored in all my mock tests around 530-620. After that, I had complained to the GMAC about the issue and am waiting for a reply from them. The invigilator even after doing such a stupid mistake had no remorse about it. It was just frustrating. This incident happened 9 days ago and I am taking my GMAT again. I just wanted to share my story here.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts