Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V46
GPA: 3.71
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink]
Tough one - I'd probably go with UCLA if you are really truly set on Media/Entertainment.

1. Obvious one - LA is the epicenter of those industries so it will be easier to network during the school year and maybe UCLA has better recruiting (although I don't know mcuh about media/ent recruiting)
2. Overlooked a lot, but I personally think this is a big issue - the money allows you to be a lot more flexible. Banks and consulting firms recruit before everyone else for a reason - they know that their big draw is higher salaries and when you have a bunch of people who are paying $150k for school that is indeed a big selling point. If you don't have such a large cost you're trying to recoup, you can concentrate more on finding the job you really want and the "I'll just do banking/consulting for a few years and then do what I want" thoughts are less likely to creep in
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Oh wow. Thank you for all of those incredibly thorough responses! I really appreciate the insight. I ultimately want to go into TV production - working for a big TV studio. Whether I chose to spend my entire career in the entertainment industry is still very unknown. I currently live in NY and eventually want to return (not immediately after graduation, but in a few years).

Just found out that I was also accepted into Berkeley. I think I can safely write Berkeley off, though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
congrats on the acceptances

UCLA's employment report looks like about 10% go into media and entertainment vs. 1-2% for Kellogg. Seems like UCLA therefore would have a bigger / stronger alumni base in the industry. Not to mention geography is probably important as most companies are in the UCLA area.

These are just stats, but I'd talk to alumni in the industry and get their view
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I think falcondevil is right. If you're more interested in working for a major record label or large movie studio then I think that UCLA is your best bet. From what I hear the network in LA is vast and powerful. Plus isn't UCLA undergrad known for having one of the best film departments around?

If you want companies more skewed to the media end of things and want to work in strategy or marketing or finance then I think Kellogg might be a better bet. It's closer to NYC which is where a lot of the media companies are based (think ABC, NBC, and digital and print media). I think the Kellogg brand might serve you better in that capacity.

Also think about where you want to be for 2 years. LA and Chicago are very different cities and each has its own draw and personality. You have to ask yourself where you fit best. Are you going to either schools' admitted students weekend? The questions you have about career prospects are likely to be answered there.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
ACMBA wrote:
Oh wow. Thank you for all of those incredibly thorough responses! I really appreciate the insight. I ultimately want to go into TV production - working for a big TV studio. Whether I chose to spend my entire career in the entertainment industry is still very unknown. I currently live in NY and eventually want to return (not immediately after graduation, but in a few years).

Just found out that I was also accepted into Berkeley. I think I can safely write Berkeley off, though.

Congrats on Haas. I wouldn't write off any school until you know exactly what they are offering and the resources they can provide to you. Besides it's nice to luxuriate in an admit for at least a little bit before saying no thanks. This period of just "enjoying it" is often when the school starts pulling out their best tricks to woo you. You don't want to pack up your chair before the show even starts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Wharton
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: Law
Send PM
I think UCLA is the overwhelming choice. You know what you want to do and UCLA is more successful at placing people in that profession than Kellogg. Plus, you have a massive financial aid package, which will go a loooong way in helping you reach your goals. Jumping into media/entertainment means you will likely start at a much lower salary than bankers and consultants. If you don't have any educational debt load, you will be really well positioned to take advantage of a job offer that is an amazing opportunity at a lower salary. Also, you should consider the networking/interviewing opportunities offered by living in LA. If you are at Kellogg, you will have to regularly fly out to LA to interview with media/entertainment companies, which will be a big time suck and cost a lot (especially if on short notice!). Either way, great for you to have a choice between two great programs and an offer of financial aid!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Kudos
If you want to go to Media/Entertainment, UCLA is the school for you. Kellogg's brand wouldn't mean anything if their alumni network isn't there.

Think from an alumni perspective. Would you be more incline to hire someone from your alma mater or a slightly better branded school?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Completed all CFA exams
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
I used to work for Disney Corporate Operations Planning on the media team. To me, UCLA is the clear choice, especially with the money you would be getting. There are lots of Anderson and Marshall grads working for Disney and other entertainment firms. Outside of UCLA and USC grads, I saw people that went to Tuck, Harvard, and Stanford, but I never met any Kellogg grads.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I'd also go with UCLA because of the generous scholarship package. I will not think twice, I will go straight to LA, even though it may seem that Kellogg may be ranked higher. It also depends on the industry one may want to get into right after my MBA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2013
Send PM
I agree with everyone else. If you are set on media - go UCLA.

If you want some options, go Kellogg.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q38 V45
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Kudos
I think everyone has given great advice already, and I just wanted to throw in my $0.02 as I currently work for a tv/film studio in LA - if it's UCLA vs. Kellogg and you really want to be in this industry, you need to go to UCLA. I do know of co-workers with MBAs from other programs, like Kellogg, Fuqua, etc., but they are few and far between - UCLA and USC are the predominate alum in the industry.

HTH!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Agree with the previous posters... UCLA seems the way ago, especially since they are giving you $$$
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
What is most useful for training? Economics, or other? :roll:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Definitely would go with UCLA if you want to be in entertainment. Plus you are doing it without having to go through the pre-requisites, ie waiting tables. Everyone in LA waits tables before they become an actor. With that aside, high profile studios and people are all located in LA. Think about Burbank, the epicenter of much entertainment activity, it is about 10-15 mins from Westwood. All the connections, meetings, and events are going to be happening in LA or NY.

If you go to Chicago, I think the big studio there is the Oprah Network. Kind of limits you to possibilities there, additionally, you will probably be traveling to LA or NY all the time, which makes the brand of Kellogg all that more unattractive.

Look at the industry placements from Kellogg vs. UCLA and you will find that LA places much more people in media/entertainment than Kellogg would.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
Send PM
bugcampus wrote:
Vote for Kellogg

Old post :roll:
sigh.. i might be in the position soon....maybe
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Congrats - I would also go with Anderson. Given the ties to the industry, strength of recruiting, alumni base and then the scholarship (even though $$ isn't an issue, it certainly helps) it seems like the right choice. I think it would be helpful for you to do a little more digging into the types of roles/positions/functions Anderson grads are heading into to make sure that those are similar to what you think you are interested in.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts