Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Re: My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback [#permalink]
Kudos
srikirs007 wrote:
Please review and provide a feedback on my plan and especially please help me clear the concerns below
• Why I have MGMAT Guides in materials is because I have them from my previous test. Is my material sufficient? Any other recommendations are appreciated
• bb’s suggested study plan as well as others calendars have Quant first, but because of my India vacation and my confidence in Quant, I wanted to start with Verbal. Please let me if this is ok?
• Instead of doing specific problems from OG as per MGMAT Guides after each SC, CR, RC books, Is it going to be beneficial if I do OG Problems after I completely prepare for entire verbal section,? I have a similar question for Quant?
• Should I time even the OG Questions? Currently I am thinking of timing only the GMAT Club tests and obviously CAT tests.

1. You have sufficient material, but you really need to get OG13 for the integrated reasoning and get a feel for that section. It is important you don't slack on that section.
2. If anything you need to start with verbal. Your quant is high and you need to step the verbal up. Moving your verbal score up will raise your score a lot more than the quant. On the quant keep shoring up your weak areas because the next GMAT you have may just have a bunch of problems that hone your weaknesses and hurt your score.
3. To me it doesn't really matter. Most OG problems are not difficult, but for the verbal section you probably should get to those questions sooner because your score is below average for all test takers.
4. I wouldn't worry too much about timing unless you're seeing that you literally break four minutes each question on these.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [2]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Kudos
srikirs007 wrote:
I just ordered OG 13 yesterday but its not yet shipped. I can still cancel it and buy GMAT additional pack.
Why I thought of buying it is because of the new IR section. I know IR section not evaluated for admissions but based on bb comment in Amazon, I ordered it. Is MGMAT IR going to be sufficient?

Thanks for the suggestion on Diagnostic test, I was also more leaning towards Diagnostic test to get the current position.
As of now I vaguely remember the concepts, so I will try to brush up a little this week and will take a test this weekend.

If you buy Additional Gmat Question pack 1 from mba.com, you still have integrated section so do not worry. What diagnosis test are you going to take?
One thing I notice in your plan is that you put too much time in reading fiction. Reading fiction is OK to me, but you should put less time to do that . If you cram reading fiction in short time (1book/week), what will you get? Furthermore, reading newspaper sometimes give you some knowledge so that you can make educated guess in CR... That's why I prefer reading magazines...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
hellscream wrote:
If you buy Additional Gmat Question pack 1 from mba.com, you still have integrated section so do not worry. What diagnosis test are you going to take?
One thing I notice in your plan is that you put too much time in reading fiction. Reading fiction is OK to me, but you should put less time to do that . If you cram reading fiction in short time (1book/week), what will you get? Furthermore, reading newspaper sometimes give you some knowledge so that you can make educated guess in CR... That's why I prefer reading magazines...

I don't really see the point about reading material in addition to practicing for the test myself, OP. It's useless, when most of the books are likely ones you don't want to read at all. I guess that may be the point of reading those books, but there won't be any GMAT questions for those books. This especially goes for novels, and I've never seen a fiction reading comprehension passage.

If anyone decides to read additional material, stick to periodicals like The Economist and The Washington Post. Don't be too obsessive about the GMAT. Study hard. Study a lot. But don't go overboard to the point where this test can affect your work performance negatively and ultimately get you fired.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Well I am a newbie , but i have read almost every thing about gmat preparations..but havent started it yet :lol: ..
What i have been able to decipher , being a non native , i am too a non native, you should work extensively on verbal part.
for this the strategy imo -
for rc- gmatpill, reading fiction etc(which you are already doing), lsat rc(if you have time)
for sc-powerscore sc(if you have completed manhattan sc)
for cr- Powerscore LSAT LR (if time permits) or Powerscore CR bible
obviously OGs as well
Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Ugrad: Indiana University Kelley School of Business
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
My 2 Cents: I would say you can find material more GMAT-like to replace the WSJ. Editorials are often written in a straight-to-the-point kind of way with sentences that only have 1 or 2 main clauses. I'm guessing you're reading this material mostly to improve your SR score, in which case I think you'd be better off with literature that is as complex in structure, not just content. I read Atlas Shrugged doing part of my prep and thought it was comparable to content I've seen on the GMAC materials.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Looks decent - I'd say just be careful about getting burned out. Make sure you study smart, not just study hard.

That's a lot of material there. If you go through all of it very thoroughly - meaning you religiously mark the questions you get wrong and revisit them until you get them consistently correct - you constantly repeat the process in random order, etc.. - you'll realize that by your 3rd month of preparation - this really becomes a mental marathon.

Don't go through all the material just for the sake of going through it - make sure you understand and learn from your mistakes. I'd say if you study really efficiently and effectively, you can get away with 1/3 to 1/2 of the material and still do really well.

So just be careful about fueling the fire now and then pooping out by the time of your exam. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rollingface wrote:
My 2 Cents: I would say you can find material more GMAT-like to replace the WSJ. Editorials are often written in a straight-to-the-point kind of way with sentences that only have 1 or 2 main clauses. I'm guessing you're reading this material mostly to improve your SR score, in which case I think you'd be better off with literature that is as complex in structure, not just content. I read Atlas Shrugged doing part of my prep and thought it was comparable to content I've seen on the GMAC materials.

You are correct, I am reading GMAT Fiction to improve my SC and RC sections. I am almost done with of the mice and men. I am following the GMAT Fiction post, any suggestions on material more like GMAT is appreciated
Intern
Intern
Send PM
novanative wrote:
hellscream wrote:

I don't really see the point about reading material in addition to practicing for the test myself, OP. It's useless, when most of the books are likely ones you don't want to read at all. I guess that may be the point of reading those books, but there won't be any GMAT questions for those books. This especially goes for novels, and I've never seen a fiction reading comprehension passage.

If anyone decides to read additional material, stick to periodicals like The Economist and The Washington Post. Don't be too obsessive about the GMAT. Study hard. Study a lot. But don't go overboard to the point where this test can affect your work performance negatively and ultimately get you fired.

Point taken, one thing I wanted to add is that I always wanted to take up the habit of reading for pleasure. So I included the reading to my GMAT Schedule during the non-productive times. I will make sure this does not affect my actual study.
GMAT Club Bot