Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Fractions/Ratios/Decimalsx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [103]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [24]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [22]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: When n liters of fuel was added to a tank that was already 1/3 full [#permalink]
Kudos
Or you can also solve it another way, check for the integer, which is divisible by both the fractions, here we can take 18 liters as the capacity of the tank.

Then 1/3 of fuel is 6 liters, and 7/9 capacity will be 14 liters. From this we can get the n value as n = 14-6 = 8.
Try to substitute this value in the below options and only option 'D' get the value of 18 as the total capacity.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [3]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Re: When n liters of fuel was added to a tank that was already 1/3 full [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mission2009 wrote:
Or you can also solve it another way, check for the integer, which is divisible by both the fractions, here we can take 18 liters as the capacity of the tank.

Then 1/3 of fuel is 6 liters, and 7/9 capacity will be 14 liters. From this we can get the n value as n = 14-6 = 8.
Try to substitute this value in the below options and only option 'D' get the value of 18 as the total capacity.

The lowest value for the capacity for which 1/3*capacity and 7/9*capacity are integers is 9 (LCM of 3 and 9). Refer to the solution above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [16]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here are a couple of video explanations for this question.

Algebra:

Value Substitution:

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [4]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
What if :
7/9-1-3 = n
=>, 4/9 capacity = n
so full capacity = 9n/4
Ans. D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [6]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Also, we can answer it this way,

1/3*c+n=7/9*c
c/3+n=7c/9
n=7c/9-c/3
n=4c/9

The question asked is what is the capacity of the tank, in liters? so here as we have already considered C as the capacity of the tank.
C=9/4*n which is the option D.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [3]
Given Kudos: 3160
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
naveenhv wrote:
When n liters of fuel was added to a tank that was already 1/3 full, the tank was filled to 7/9 of its capacity. In terms of n, what is the capacity of the tank, in liters?

A. 10/9 n
B. 4/3 n
C. 3/2 n
D. 9/4 n
E. 7/3n

N liters added to a tank 1/3 full, equals 7/9 of its capacity, which translates to:

n + 1/3c = 7/9c
n + 3/9c = 7/9c
n = 7/9c - 3/9c
n = 4/9c

To make in terms of n, multiple both sides by 9/4.
c = 9/4n

Answer is D
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [3]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
naveenhv wrote:
When n liters of fuel was added to a tank that was already 1/3 full, the tank was filled to 7/9 of its capacity. In terms of n, what is the capacity of the tank, in liters?

A. 10/9 n
B. 4/3 n
C. 3/2 n
D. 9/4 n
E. 7/3n

When you see variables in the answer choices, use smart numbers.

Suppose that the capacity of the tank is 27 liters. (I chose 27 because it's divisible by the other numbers in the problem). In that case, the tank already contained 9 liters, and when we added a certain amount, it was filled to 7/9(27), or 21 liters. That means n = 21-9 = 12.

So, n = 12, and the capacity is 27. Try plugging 12 into the answer choices, and see whether you end up with 27.

(A) 10/9(12) isn't an integer!
(B) 4/3(12) = 16 - too small
(C) 3/2(12) = 18 - too small
(D) 9/4(12) = 27 - perfect!
(E) 7/3(12) = 28 - too big
naveenhv wrote:

A. 10/9 n
B. 4/3 n
C. 3/2 n
D. 9/4 n
E. 7/3n

Hello Experts,
EMPOWERgmatRichC, VeritasKarishma, IanStewart, chetan2u, ArvindCrackVerbal, GMATGuruNY, GMATinsight
Can I say the 'numerator' has to be 'factor' or 'multiple' of 9 (if 9 is considered as total capacity of anything) in the correct choices?
Also, in the choices A, B, and C says: the capacity is a bit greater than that we add (n), but in choices D and E says: the capacity is a bit more than double that we add (n). Could you explain a bit what's going on the answer choices?
Thanks__
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
naveenhv wrote:

A. 10/9 n
B. 4/3 n
C. 3/2 n
D. 9/4 n
E. 7/3n

Hello Experts,
EMPOWERgmatRichC, VeritasKarishma, IanStewart, chetan2u, ArvindCrackVerbal, GMATGuruNY, GMATinsight
Can I say the 'numerator' has to be 'factor' or 'multiple' of 9 (if 9 is considered as total capacity of anything) in the correct choices?
Also, in the choices A, B, and C says: the capacity is a bit greater than that we add (n), but in choices D and E says: the capacity is a bit more than double that we add (n). Could you explain a bit what's going on the answer choices?
Thanks__

Asad

I don't find anything wrong with the option choices.

1) No, we can NOT say that numerator has to be a multiple of 9 because question doesn't mention that n is an Integer

2) when n is added to it when it was 1/3rd full confirms that the n is less than 2/3rd the capacity so all that we can conclude here is that n < (2/3) capacity i.e. capacity > 1.5n and using this we can eliminate Options A B and C. But to arrive at correct answer, we need to solve it as needed and that's not difficult in this question. :)

I hope this help
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
naveenhv wrote:

A. 10/9 n
B. 4/3 n
C. 3/2 n
D. 9/4 n
E. 7/3n

Hello Experts,
Thanks__

Hi,
As GMATinsight has also written, you cannot take the numerator to be 9.
Every capacity will have 7/9 of itself, even if it is fraction. This is different from saying 7/9 of an integer gives you another integer. Yes, here n will be multiple of 9.

Having said that, 1/3 should immediately tell you that it looks a bit like 7/9, so convert 1/3 to 3/9.
Now after adding n litres 3/9 goes to 7/9 or a jump of 4/9 of capacity.
That is n=(4/9) of capacity. Capacity=9n/4
chetan2u wrote:
Asad wrote:
naveenhv wrote:

A. 10/9 n
B. 4/3 n
C. 3/2 n
D. 9/4 n
E. 7/3n

Hello Experts,
Thanks__

Hi,
As GMATinsight has also written, you cannot take the numerator to be 9.
Every capacity will have 7/9 of itself, even if it is fraction. This is different from saying 7/9 of an integer gives you another integer. Yes, here n will be multiple of 9.

Having said that, 1/3 should immediately tell you that it looks a bit like 7/9, so convert 1/3 to 3/9.
Now after adding n litres 3/9 goes to 7/9 or a jump of 4/9 of capacity.
That is n=(4/9) of capacity. Capacity=9n/4

Thanks for the feedback.
But, if we let the capacity is 9, then we can think of n+3=7 which says that n=4 (here n is not multiple of 9 :? ). Can you clarify where I've missed?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9239 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos