Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-02-2012
GPA: 3.75
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Online MBA [#permalink]
My 2 cents, go for a part time program over an online program..

The value/learning you get out of a part time program is going to be much better and you will get to network an interact with peers on a one-on-one basis.

A close friend of mine did Univ of Phoenix for his MBA, and I dont think he got much out of it other than the degree.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thankyou guys for your response.

I actually talked with a lot of alumini of Kelly Direct. They are happy and most of them were able to get a step up job out side or inside their company with the help of MBA.

But did not know if anybody else have done it here. Wanted to know other's ideas too. Keep posting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Send PM
ASU WP Carey is offering a Flex program as well. It just came out and the details are still fuzzy, but I heard its a combination of weekend (core classes take place on Fri/Sat) and online for all electives. I applied to ASU and got accepted to the FT program at the last round but I'm leaning toward switching to PT/Flex/EMBA since I am a bit on the older side and don't want to leave work for 2 years

I didn't know about Kelley's program, I'll check that out too.

Also I am planning to explore the UCLA FEMBA Flex option. That is viable for me since I live in Arizona and the UCLA brand name carries quite a bit of weight

Will share more once I have more info
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I am in a similar position as others who have posted on this thread. I am still in the process of prepping for the GMAT and I am only considering online MBA programs due to work and family needs. I have seen posts on other websites that echo sentiments here. Namely, that online MBA programs lack prestige, and that even part-time programs would provide a better education.

It seems to me those are two distinct arguments. In terms of the level of education, I understand that one could make an argument about the pedagogical limitatiosn of online classes. Ultimately, I think the student's individual effort will have a greater bearing on the amount of knowledge obtained than whether classes were taken in person or online.

The prestige question is harder for me. Is it just about building networks? I have been researching IU Kelley, Penn State, Florida, and UNC. Each program goes out of its way to promote the idea that the online degree is equivilent to the traditional program. Each of those schools have relatively well-regarding traditional programs. If my diploma and resume can say Penn State, or IU, will prospective employers have any way to determine if I attended online classes? I am concerned that the online programs could miss out on in-person networking events alumni or recruiting with employers.

I am hoping to learn how often students of the traditional versions of the above programs get such opportunities. If they do not happen all that frequently, I wonder if some of the bias against online programs is really due to their relative newness?

I really do not have the flexibility to attend even a part-time program in person. And anyway, I do not feel the schools near me offer the name recognition as the online programs I am researching.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
The bias could also be that when you think about an Online education, the first thing that people think about is University of Phoenix (or something similar). Not that UoP is "bad", just not at the same education level as a UNC/IU etc... would be.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Send PM
^ Not sure how prevalent the sentiment is, but that is certainly the perception I'm trying to shake. I got an MBA from UoP and even though I atteneded the program in person, I can't help but shake the feeling that employers still considered that an online education. If (big IF) that is the case, I might as well get one from a more prestigious school ie: IU, UNC
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cheerose wrote:
The bias could also be that when you think about an Online education, the first thing that people think about is University of Phoenix (or something similar). Not that UoP is "bad", just not at the same education level as a UNC/IU etc... would be.

I agree that there is a bias against the idea of an online MBA. UoP clearly does not have the same prestige as a Harvard. But between UoP and HBS you are going to have a whole spectrum of schools with varying reputations, and programs that offer differing returns for their students. I just wonder whether the fact of a program being online should itself color our judgement.

If someone can meet a spouse online, shouldn't I be able to develop a professional network that way?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Do a part time MBA over an online MBA if at all possible, unless you are in an area where there is no decent part time MBA school around, and you can't afford to do a full time program. Now, some decent schools have an online program, most notably UNC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95
Send PM
If it progresses your career and fits your lifestyle, then I see no shame at all in achieving an MBA online.

I'll be applying to a program soon, and probably not one of the more prestigious ones out there.

Anyways, more on point, there a lots of "brand-name" schools with solid programs.

Duke
Thunderbird
Carnegie Mellon

These are a few programs that do require a few on-campus visits (as well as international travel). Mind you though, they are very expensive programs.

Others, that can be done 100% online:

Penn State
University of Texas @ Dallas
University of Massachusetts @ Amherst
Florida State University

Personally, I'll most likely be applying to Texas A&M - Commerce. It's under $20k, so the full cost will be absorbed by my company, and it is more than enough to push my career forward.

I wish I had the luxury of many other GMAT club members of quitting my job and attending school full-time. Even attending part-time is not an option for me, as I work very odd hours.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q26 V36
GPA: 2.89
WE:Real Estate (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
It is frustrating to get a straight answer or ranking when I research online MBA programs.

I am admitted to Northeastern.

The score the post above me mentioned (Duke, Carnegie-Mellon, etc..) are outrageously expensive. Northeastern isn't nearly as bad --- but 65k is still a big chunk of change. You can get a good MBA online from regionally accreditted school like Oklahoma, Nebraska, Portland, or Penn State ... they all should be under 50k for the entire program. Like the above post mentioned -- A&M-Commerce is relatively cheaper, same with North Dakota, Western Kentucky, or Colorado State. You have a lot of option. The real question is -- which school give you the most for the same amount of money???

As much as I want to believe that attending Northeastern online MBA is as prestigious online as in person, I know it's not true. However, I don't believe that online student receive less education in comparison to FT/PT students on campus. I took as many online classes during my undergrad as possible -- I think I learn a whole lot more than those classes than I attended in person.

The closest school that offer decent MBA program where I live is 2+ hours away. Working full time with a family, driving there 2x/wk isn't realistic. I did PT school (10 credits) where I drove 1 hour each way and PT job (24-30 hrs) for my last 3 years of school -- it was hell. There's no way I will continue that in grad school.

Just choose the best online school you can get into or improve yourself to get into them. My first GMAT score isn't high enough for my top 3 choices (UNC, IU, and ASU), but luckily I was accepted at Northeastern, which was my 4th choice. Haven't even applied at the top 3 yet ... figured with a 550 GMAT, I had no chance.

Didn't realize UCLA has a Flex program ... gotta look into that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95
Send PM
I think one important aspect of online MBA's is the accreditation of the school. An institution that is AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accredited will carry some weight. This is something that "for-profit" institutions, such as University of Phoenix, do not have.

Does this mean that the education you receive from a "lower" regional school will compare with...HBS? Absolutely not. But at least that school will have been certified and held to a standard.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This is what I got.

Some of the recruiters I talked to said that the perception of online MBA is changing. People are looking at it in a positive way than before. Most of the current industry runs on technology. It is not possible for you to be at all the locations at all the times. You have to form and build the teams and execute projects from remote locations. Something you do in your online MBA. So as far as you get an online degree from accredited university, you are fine. This is not to say that you will be recruited by top consulting firm etc.

Also, I think similarly working and doing MBA, I would be able to apply what I learn to my work and vice verca on the spot.

Saying this, I would also say that if I had a chance, I would try FT from top 25. But in my position, working and keeping an income is very important.

PS: After reading a lot of post, I have found out that a lot of people do quit their jobs and go back to FT school with their families. If my GMAT score is good, no matter what the situation is, I will definitely take a shot at good FT program.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AlyxisPaige wrote:
It is frustrating to get a straight answer or ranking when I research online MBA programs.

I am admitted to Northeastern.

The score the post above me mentioned (Duke, Carnegie-Mellon, etc..) are outrageously expensive. Northeastern isn't nearly as bad --- but 65k is still a big chunk of change. You can get a good MBA online from regionally accreditted school like Oklahoma, Nebraska, Portland, or Penn State ... they all should be under 50k for the entire program. Like the above post mentioned -- A&M-Commerce is relatively cheaper, same with North Dakota, Western Kentucky, or Colorado State. You have a lot of option. The real question is -- which school give you the most for the same amount of money???

As much as I want to believe that attending Northeastern online MBA is as prestigious online as in person, I know it's not true. However, I don't believe that online student receive less education in comparison to FT/PT students on campus. I took as many online classes during my undergrad as possible -- I think I learn a whole lot more than those classes than I attended in person.

The closest school that offer decent MBA program where I live is 2+ hours away. Working full time with a family, driving there 2x/wk isn't realistic. I did PT school (10 credits) where I drove 1 hour each way and PT job (24-30 hrs) for my last 3 years of school -- it was hell. There's no way I will continue that in grad school.

Just choose the best online school you can get into or improve yourself to get into them. My first GMAT score isn't high enough for my top 3 choices (UNC, IU, and ASU), but luckily I was accepted at Northeastern, which was my 4th choice. Haven't even applied at the top 3 yet ... figured with a 550 GMAT, I had no chance.

Didn't realize UCLA has a Flex program ... gotta look into that.

Are you in contact with any of the schools. I found IU Kelley direct personnel to be friendly and supportive. May be they will be able to help you if you establish the rapport. PM me if you want information.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
papaschango wrote:
This is what I got.

Some of the recruiters I talked to said that the perception of online MBA is changing. People are looking at it in a positive way than before. Most of the current industry runs on technology. It is not possible for you to be at all the locations at all the times. You have to form and build the teams and execute projects from remote locations. Something you do in your online MBA. So as far as you get an online degree from accredited university, you are fine. This is not to say that you will be recruited by top consulting firm etc.

Also, I think similarly working and doing MBA, I would be able to apply what I learn to my work and vice verca on the spot.

Saying this, I would also say that if I had a chance, I would try FT from top 25. But in my position, working and keeping an income is very important.

PS: After reading a lot of post, I have found out that a lot of people do quit their jobs and go back to FT school with their families. If my GMAT score is good, no matter what the situation is, I will definitely take a shot at good FT program.

The reasons you put above explain why I went for the part time MBA.

One big reason why the perception of an online MBA is changing is because legitimate institutions, like UNC and IU among others offer such options. If they didn't do this, the reputation of those degrees will be viewed badly not unlike what I think about Education Connection and learning new things in my puh-jam-muhs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL2uQT1wTdo

I think the parent school reputation is what will drive the value of online degrees up, and there were some articles in recent months that there will likely be fewer and fewer full time programs over the next decade or so and more focus on part time and online MBA's. Let's see if this becomes a reality.

Originally posted by novanative on 24 Apr 2012, 22:28.
Last edited by novanative on 25 Apr 2012, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
novanative wrote:
papaschango wrote:
This is what I got.

The reasons you put above explain why I went for the part time MBA.

One big reason why the perception of an online MBA is changing is because legitimate institutions, like UNC and IU among others offer such options. If they didn't do this, the reputation of those degrees will be viewed badly not unlike what I think about Education Connection and learning new things in my puh-jay-mahs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL2uQT1wTdo

I think the parent school reputation is what will drive the value of online degrees up, and there were some articles in recent months that there will likely be fewer and fewer full time programs over the next decade or so and more focus on part time and online MBA's. Let's see if this becomes a reality.

I have nothing to offer but blood, boil, tears and sweat.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I feel like this would be a good GMAT argument analysis topic. "Prospective MBA students should opt for traditional or part-time MBA programs over online programs. Online programs are have less prestige and are therefore of less value to the student." Something like that.

I guess I am not convinced by this argument. I attended a webinar for IU Kelley Direct last night and learned online students are invited to attend on campus recruiting events. If a sufficiently motivated online student were to make his way to Bloomington, would he be under any obligation to disclose to recruiters that he actually attended classes online? I say no. Indiana confers the degree, and they go out of their way to stress the equivilency between the traditional and online programs. If the school promotes equivilency and inclusion, then I don't see why online students would need to walk around with a scarlet O on their chest.

And as for education connection, I have always thought of Shannon Doherty as a paragon of academia.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
dng wrote:
I feel like this would be a good GMAT argument analysis topic. "Prospective MBA students should opt for traditional or part-time MBA programs over online programs. Online programs are have less prestige and are therefore of less value to the student." Something like that.

I guess I am not convinced by this argument. I attended a webinar for IU Kelley Direct last night and learned online students are invited to attend on campus recruiting events. If a sufficiently motivated online student were to make his way to Bloomington, would he be under any obligation to disclose to recruiters that he actually attended classes online? I say no. Indiana confers the degree, and they go out of their way to stress the equivilency between the traditional and online programs. If the school promotes equivilency and inclusion, then I don't see why online students would need to walk around with a scarlet O on their chest.

And as for education connection, I have always thought of Shannon Doherty as a paragon of academia.

Again, I think the parent universities that offer online degrees is going to be what drives the value of them up because almost every online MBA at a legit Top Tier school will be the same academic degree as the one in the full time and/or part time programs. The stigma of the online degree is coming from the for-profit institutions like University of Phoenix, Kaplan U, etc.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2