Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: My GMAT Chronicle [#permalink]
Reasons: One of my friends who was getting 720+ on MGMAT landed a 670 on the actual thing. He scored less in Quant than his previous attempt.

I want to give my best effort. Even if i get bad score, i would know in hearts of my heart that i gave my best.

Currently struggling with SC and using a bunch of resources. Once i manage to keep SC under my control, i would mention my strategy.

Originally posted by AbhiJ on 28 Oct 2011, 04:14.
Last edited by AbhiJ on 17 Jan 2012, 04:54, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I am going to re-continue this thread after 4 months. Had to stop preparation because of product release. Looking to step on the gas now. Situation @ Work got worse, many issues, better left untold :). Let see how can I manage my GMAT with the stuff going around me , see it as another learning experience, a challenge. My target GMAT score - 750.

Originally posted by AbhiJ on 16 Apr 2012, 04:46.
Last edited by AbhiJ on 16 Apr 2012, 07:27, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
I'm here with you..... When will you take the test?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
I am booked for end of May. It all depends on progress though. Getting a 750 is not a luxury for me rather a necessity.

Reason : Indian Male looking for scholarships.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
For Quant I am using MGMAT Advanced Quant: I would rate is 8/10.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
MGMAT 1 690 (Q49, V35).
Quant 5 wrong, couldnot answer two questions.

Verbal (Wrong/Total)

SC 6/15.
CR 7/14.
RC 5/12.

In Verbal, the percentile was hovering around 70-80. Looks like need practice across the board in verbal.

My impression is that quant was on the tougher side as far as scoring is concerned. Suggestions please, how to reach 750 level.

Plan for tommorow: Review MGMAT test, plan how to prepare for the next two weeks. Thinking to skip 1 week with tests and go turbocharge on Verbal. I can't explain how badly I need to conquer this test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Glad to see you back in the game! I'm restarting my studies as well. It's been way too long since I've stopped studying.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [2]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Kudos
Hey buddy, you were missed on the forum.
For quant, you may like to check out the signature below( The final quest one), You will find some practical advises from the instructor as well as members. :)
I'm in the same boat and getting the same score as you are getting. Furthermore, even the target score is same and for the same reason. :wink:
Let's give a tough fight to GMAT and give our heart out.
I've not booked a date and will only do that once i am scoring around my target score. I hope i won't take long.
I agree with ur strategy of going through one type of category of questions, cement ur concepts on them and move to next one. It's really helpful.
IMO, Practice is the key in sentence correction. With practice not only the accuracy increases but the time taken reduces( best is to bring it down to less than a minute).What i have realized after almost three months of prep that SC follows a pattern and that pattern can easily be identified most of the times by doing a lot of practice.
for CR, powerscore bible does a good job,however, we tend to forget part of it because it's a detailed book.I've gone through it three times and every time my accuracy has gone up as everytime i learn something new and cement the acquired knowledge.
RC, I am going through the mgmat RC book so will only comment once i am done with it.
Good luck buddy and let's fight the beast to the best of our capability.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Rajeev, the link in your signature is awesome! Thank you for sharing :)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Sunday Update: It seems the test exhausted me. The entire day was spent in watching IPL/sleeping. Did 10 problems from MGMAT Advanced Quant. Planning to do a thorough test review on Monday.

Feelings from the test:
- Quant was tiring and its effect was prominent on verbal. I was not able to concentrate during the verbal section.
- Accuracy on 700 + CR problems was poor 17%. Same for SC was 33%.
- The elephant in the room was RC. RC's accuracy for 700-800 was 83% and for 600-700 was poultry 20%. Need to figure out why this happened.

Plan for the week
- I can study 3 hours on weekdays and 6 hours on weekends.
- Need to brush up MHSC/PCR and the OG 12 questions.
- Keep practicing 10 Quant problems a day to be in touch.
- Start 20 mins reading everyday.

Monday 24/04 - Reviewed the Quant section of MGMAT 1
Takeaways
- Spent too much time on tough questions and invariably got them wrong/guessed( got lucky twice).
- Spent 4 mins on Q30 when I was already 3 mins behind time.(How to avoid this !) A more detailed time template for the 2nd half of Quant section.
- Made couple of silly mistakes in Q 30-35, Missed couple of questions.Could be a stamina issue.
Plan for tommorow. Review the Verbal section.

Sunday Update 29/04
Finished the MGMAT Advanced Quant. It has got problems of just the right difficulty for Q50-Q51.
Revised Powerscore CR and made bullet point notes from the same.
Plan for coming week
Practice CR problems from Powerscore CR exercise and from assorted sources.
Revise MHSC and finish OG 12 problems.
Do a mixed practice of SC/CR problems from assorted sources
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Still in the game, haven't appeared yet.

GMAT Prep Question Pack 1

Quant Section
Every problem in this set in the medium and difficult category is a gem. Solve twice if time permits.
I would rate these questions higher than the questions in OG10,11,12.
Haven't seen the new questions in OG13, though, so cannot comment on them.
If you have to chose between Question Pack and any of the Advance Sets available from prep companies, chose this one blindly. No prep company can match the GMAT style. PERIOD.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Sunday Update - 8th July : Gave GMAT Prep 1 after my friend coaxed me into giving one.

Result : the lower end of my expected score - 680 (Q50, V 31).

Made a few mistakes in my preparation till now : Read MGMAT SC like 10 times. Read Powerscore CR like 3-4 times. Time could have been better utilized in practicing questions.

TAKEAWAYS:

- Got an IR score of 3. Need to give some time to IR as well. This demoralized me and made 2 mistakes in first 5 quant problems.
- The quant linear timing grid is not perfect - at-least for me. Giving 15 mins for last 7 questions is flawed. A better strategy would be to give 20 minutes for the same. The last 7-8 questions are not experimental and you would be tired by that time. You would need more time to solve the out of curves question.
- I need some serious introspection in verbal.
- I will not give another GMAT Prep till I hit 740-750 in MGMAT.
- Stamina came into the picture.Giving Tests in afternoon can be tricky as we tire out by evening.
More takeaways coming after analysis.

Action Points
- I was not able to visualize CR problems while giving test. Need to practice CR from different resources. Need all round practice in Verbal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1074 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC
 Q48  V32
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Good ATB

When r u taking the real thing?

GODSPEED!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Here is my analysis of difference between 680(current score) and 740(target score). Or you might say the difference between V31 and V40.

- Reading/Comprehension Speed - 30 mins reading everyday from reputed sources, especially for non-native speakers, is a MUST. This would helps in CR/RC.
- 10-15 full length tests - Its very easy to solve 10 questions n 20 mins from any topic. Put those 10 Q in a 4 hour exam and your accuracy goes downhill. Keep 1 weak break between 2 exam to truly benefit.
- Mixed Practice - A mix of SC/RC/RC problems tests your mental flexibility and makes your nervous. Do a mix of 25 problem from Grockit regularly.
- Having a pre-defined strategy for all Q types. You don't have the time to maneuver between answer choices during the exam.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Sunday Update 15/7/2012 - Gave Knewton Test 2: 710 (Q50, V36). Finished Quant with 15 mins to spare, still made 2 silly mistakes. Did not read the question correctly. Verbal, 6 mistakes in the first 29, 6 in next 10, missed 2 questions. I am having timing issues in verbal had 12 mins for the last 11 questions. There was no IR section, so the score may be a bit inflated.

Takeaways
- SC proves to be my weakest link. I am taking 1 mins 50 seconds to answer a SC question. I don't know how to overcome that. Would sheer practice help or a course like e-GMAT do the trick.
- CR - Need to revise Powerscore CR and then practice CR from OG/LSAT Super Prep. I am a bit rusty here.
- IR - Solve from OG13, GMAT Prep Q Bank and MGMAT tests.

To do list
- Analyse MGMAT 1, Knewton 1, 2 verbal section.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Sunday Update 22/7/2012 - MGMAT Test 2: 660 (Q50, V32)

I am having 10 mins instead of 18 for answering last 10 problems. Not sure how to overcome this, is reading speed the issue or is practice the missing link. Looks like a combination would work well here. Any tips

Plans
- Finish OG10/12/13/V2/Q Bank
- Practice Grockit
- Practice e-GMAT
- Sleep on time, by 1 AM :)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Monday Update:
GMAT Prep 1 Repeat (Quant 50 , Verbal 34) 700

Quant: 3 mistakes, missed 1 question.
Verbal: Could finish only 32 questions, 8 mistakes in them; 5 mistakes in next 7 questions, couldnot attempt last 2 questions.
SC 6/13
CR 1/6
RC 2/13
SC is really pulling me down big time, having both accuracy and timing issues. Time for e-GMAT, Grockit, Thursdays with Ron,other SC notes.
RC is also eating time , was having 13 mins for last 13 questions, then a lengthy RC came and was down to 3 for last 9. LSAT RCs could help here.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2