Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: York University Schulich 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I was at Schulich's event on Saturday. Hard sell and clearly they spent a lot on the event trying to woo prospective students (free alcohol at the reception for many hundred people!).

I was also talking to a lot of current students and I realised that Schulich interviews all international students. That doesn't absolve them from not interviewing domestic students, but it does address some concern.

Also, it seems Schulich is trying to brand itself very differently from Rotman and is aiming to be a very diversified program with lots of options (rather than being pigeon-holed). It is also emphasizing global reach a lot.

Still torn between them and Rotman. On one hand they are a lot cheaper and they offer much more in terms of electives and disciplines. But then again, things I found out (i.e. none of the big 3 consulting firms come to recruit at Schulich) are again worrying.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
alinomoto wrote:
I was at Schulich's event on Saturday. Hard sell and clearly they spent a lot on the event trying to woo prospective students (free alcohol at the reception for many hundred people!).

I was also talking to a lot of current students and I realised that Schulich interviews all international students. That doesn't absolve them from not interviewing domestic students, but it does address some concern.

Also, it seems Schulich is trying to brand itself very differently from Rotman and is aiming to be a very diversified program with lots of options (rather than being pigeon-holed). It is also emphasizing global reach a lot.

Still torn between them and Rotman. On one hand they are a lot cheaper and they offer much more in terms of electives and disciplines. But then again, things I found out (i.e. none of the big 3 consulting firms come to recruit at Schulich) are again worrying.

My thoughts exactly, and I'm in the same situation as you. I had a very good talk with one of the profs during lunch at the open house and she told me that Rotman is not well known outside Canada (she spent most of her academic live in the states). But seeing how strong Rotman is in the rankings might indicate that Rotman's reputation may overtake Schulich's at some point in the future... I'm torn too...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sammy901 wrote:
alinomoto wrote:

My thoughts exactly, and I'm in the same situation as you. I had a very good talk with one of the profs during lunch at the open house and she told me that Rotman is not well known outside Canada (she spent most of her academic live in the states). But seeing how strong Rotman is in the rankings might indicate that Rotman's reputation may overtake Schulich's at some point in the future... I'm torn too...

I would not give credence to anything that a Schulich prof tells you about their competition. Honestly, competition is fierce and they will do whatever, subtly or not so, to try and one up their competitors.

I have heard quite the other story that Rotman has a better name than Schulich, outside of Canada. My mother (with an MBA), who lives outside Canada, has heard of Rotman, but never of Schulich. So take from that what you may.

Decisions are tough, but do not let a member of either school sway you. Go for impartial and unbiased opinions and listen to your own heart.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
LOL! Im glad you guys liked Schulich reception! Actually they throw these receptions all the time for networking, information, welcoming and other events. One thing I can tell you, you will be fed and drunk at Schulich lol.

Jokes aside though, I am a Schulich student so I am biased I guess. Rotman and Schulich is very evenly matched desite what ranking suggest. Three people that will get hired by the BCG and Monitor from Rotman does not count as recruiting. The hire 50-60 people each from schools like Booth alone. There are some differences between the two schools and in my opinion it comes down to do you see value in spending 20K-30K for a stamp that will say University of Toronto. Some people see value in that, I dont. As far as quality of students, trust me Im impressed by my classmates every day. As for global recognition... Schulich is building a campus in India... Obviously the brand recognition in Asia will rise because of that. Thats just my thoughts on the issue.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Economics, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
I was at the event too.
I'll pick Schulich over any MBA in Canad a for one reason only. Their specialization in Global Mining Management. I love that.
I applied and I'm in.
I applied to other school too. LBS and INSEAD. So I'm waiting to see what will happen and decide. But it's a great program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.73
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
Can anyone let me know the class size of the FT MBA program?
The first post mentions that 662 is the total class size. I feel this number might have considered various other FT MBA programs offered @ Schulich (such as the IMBA, Winter Intake).
I am curious to know the class size of the Fall FT MBA program.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
PhoenixId wrote:
Can anyone let me know the class size of the FT MBA program?
The first post mentions that 662 is the total class size. I feel this number might have considered various other FT MBA programs offered @ Schulich (such as the IMBA, Winter Intake).
I am curious to know the class size of the Fall FT MBA program.

I remember a number in the early-mid 400s from somewhere. Not sure where. I agree that the 650+ number is the combination of all their programs. I cannot seem to find it on their website though :?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
I got admitted w/o interview. Need to send confirmation by march last week. Waiting for results from NUS & Nanyang Singapore.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.73
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
Admitted to the program! Still waiting for the official e-mail. I got to know about my acceptance from the application status webpage. I was interviewed last week.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Hey everyone

i m quite late for applying but wish to start studying as early as possible...

i m gonna start my app today... shud i go for sept 2012 intake or jan 2013 intake ???

considering that schulich has only 2 deadlines and the early deadline is over (final is may 1) and the fact that for most of the b-schools for sept 2012 intake... R3 is already ON

shud i go ahead with applying for Sept 2012 ???
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
Send PM
Anybody know if Canadian applicants are notified of acceptance/rejection via email or if they just send it by post? I was interacting with an admissions assistant regarding them having received my official transcripts and she mentioned that they'd received them and that a decision letter was already in the mail (postal). I've asked for an email to confirm if I've been accepted or rejected because I'm travelling and really can't wait to know what the outcome is...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
They normally send the decision by both email and postal mail(canada post).

I got my admission offer initially by email and then got the package by postal mail, a couple of days later.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Weird, they asked me to go in for an interview, I thought they waive that requirement for Canadians.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
Send PM
ssmba wrote:

I got my admission offer initially by email and then got the package by postal mail, a couple of days later.

Hmm no email for me but a purported decision letter in the post. Probably rejected...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@deadlycat Going by your GMAT score it seems wiered that they asked for an interview. I was under the impression that they dont go for interviews for candidates having Gmat score > 700. I too was spared of the interview.
May be because now number of seats left are not many.. and they too have enough time for taking interviews :)
Best of Luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
catakiosk wrote:
ssmba wrote:

Hmm no email for me but a purported decision letter in the post. Probably rejected...

Were you interviewed?
Manager
Manager
Send PM

Originally posted by deadlycat on 24 Apr 2012, 11:17.
Last edited by deadlycat on 16 May 2012, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts