Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [3]
Given Kudos: 110
GMAT 1: 560 Q39 V28
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [2]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Re: Dismal score of 560 - How should I start again? [#permalink]
Kudos
It looks like its was a bad day for you. Do you have a timing strategy in place, do you when to skip questions and when to put some extra effort into the same. Watch this video closely and follow the template given.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doyvboIy3JU
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks all for your valuable inputs.

@georgepaul0071987: Thanks! I was not sure if lack of sleep indeed affected my performance. Not matter how hard I tried, I was feeling that I have conceptual issue and so I need to study more. To validate this I took a mock yesterday. Manhattan GMAT -5 and scored 730 Math - 48 & Verbal 42. Despite getting this score, I still feel that I have concept issues.

@actressinpink: Thanks for your encouraging words :) All the best with your prep. and calculating 2^-4 is easy, get the inverse and then take 2 to the power of 4. i.e. (1/2)^4 = 1/16 = 0.0625 :)

@AbhiJ: It is very difficult to accept this fact. Having bad day is indeed OK but to accept this after a poor score is difficult. Anyway I am trying to come out this trans and trying to study again. About timing strategy, I have a strategy but it's not very advanced sort of. On math I followed 65(5Qs) - 55(10Qs) - 45(15Qs) - 35(20Qs) - 25(25Qs) - 15(30Qs) - 5(35Qs). But on verbal I had no timing strategy. I was comfortable with solving verbal questions in the recommended timeline so never thought of having a strategy here. I was able to solve SC in 1.15-1.30 minutes RC and CR in 2 & 1.45 minutes respectively. But I have a similar methodology of timing somewhere on the forums. 66-57-48 and so on for verbal.

Ameya
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
hey ameya.
can you elaborate more on verbal. How was the verbal?
actually i took gmat on 28th april and scored 590(q49, v22) and was really disappointed after doing very low in quants.
Basically I was having trouble in the exam with verbal because sentences was too lengthy and difficult to read.
Also one more thing. MGMAT tests verbal is very easy as compared to actual gmat.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 376 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
It looks like its was a bad day for you. Do you have a timing strategy in place, do you when to skip questions and when to put some extra effort into the same. Watch this video closely and follow the template given.

very good video abhi, very helpful - thanx!
@ ameya - dont get disappointed.
you yourself find out what went wrong. rectify it.
then attempt - to reach your goal
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
Ameya85 wrote:
Thanks all for your valuable inputs.

@AbhiJ: It is very difficult to accept this fact. Having bad day is indeed OK but to accept this after a poor score is difficult. Anyway I am trying to come out this trans and trying to study again. About timing strategy, I have a strategy but it's not very advanced sort of. On math I followed 65(5Qs) - 55(10Qs) - 45(15Qs) - 35(20Qs) - 25(25Qs) - 15(30Qs) - 5(35Qs). But on verbal I had no timing strategy. I was comfortable with solving verbal questions in the recommended timeline so never thought of having a strategy here. I was able to solve SC in 1.15-1.30 minutes RC and CR in 2 & 1.45 minutes respectively. But I have a similar methodology of timing somewhere on the forums. 66-57-48 and so on for verbal.

Ameya

If your timing strategy is not advanced please see the video i mentioned above. The most important is 5 wrong questions in a row hurt you much more that if they are spread through out the test. The video talks about how to achieve this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks AbhiJ, I will surely have a look at the video though I know 5 mistakes in a row is extremely dangerous. Thanks again :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [2]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Kudos
You definitely deserve a much higher score than what you recieved. I believe test day anxiety and lack of sleep have overly played their role in bringing ur performance down. Since, there will not be many surprises the next time you give the test, I am sure you will be able to achieve your dream score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:

Thanks lot for that useful link !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Ameya, I just read this. Here's some advice from a 3-time test taker (640/640/710)

Don't stress, and NEVER try to gauge your progress. Just move on don't think about the question difficulty. Difficult, but remember its a psychological test more than a content test. If you can beat it mentally you've won.

Your practice test scores are extremely high, especially on GMAC - which means you screwed up more on the non-content related things like sleep/timing/stressing over progress based on difficulty. I would highly suggest you take some time off (not too much so you don't forget, maybe 2 weeks), recover mentally and not just tell yourself, but KNOW that you can beat this test (and your GMAC test scores, which are btw good indicators, say you can), and then go wrestle this baby to the ground.

Believe me, I cried in my car after my 2nd 640, came home and wanted to throw my books into the trash so this test could not make me feel dumb again. I didn't, sense prevailed, I gave it a break and told myself I will defeat this test. So will you.

I brought up my verbal from a 36 to a 45 - you can bump it up too, let me know if you want to see my detailed Verbal strategy review on this forum. Quant I will not advise you on as I tense up on the first question till date and can't crack it.

Remember man, know that this was a one time aberration, the day was not right. Do an honest self analysis to gauge your weaknesses, you mentioned there are no conceptual areas, re-assess that. Once you're done figuring out where the issues lie, re-attack this test from the ground level and kill it. You'll be fine my friend.
Aximili
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Send PM
Kudos
So here is my take:

You will not get 'hard' questions in the verbal section unless you have a good level at that point. What is important is what is does to you, subconsciously after you let go of that hard question. You said your mind stopped processing information. From this point on, getting 5-6 questions wrong consecutively, when you are not in the last 10 questions, will make your score nose dive.
I think that is what must have happened to you in Verbal.

Did you have a positive time balance during Quant and Verbal? Did you guess a lot together at the end or somewhere?
The problem with such experiences is that one tends to remember less or remember events incorrectly due to the sheer trauma of the event.

I went through similar problems in all my not so good attempts on the GMAT. In fact I think all three were equally hard/easy and the only difference in the best one was that I had a positive time balance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Ameya,

I am in the same boat as you are. I took the test on April 27 and scored 620 (Q47, V28). My MGMAT and GMatprep mock scores were around 700 ( with verbal between 38-42). Even I have no clue as how did my verbal scores dropped so much that I ended up getting 28. I must admit that the questions in the verbal section were more difficult/tricky than those in Gmatprep or OG guides. In various forums, I have seen many guys complaining about the lower verbal scores in actual test compared to their mock test scores. Some attribute the lower scores to lack of stamina during the verbal section and some attribute it to lack of preparation. At this point in time, even i am unable to figure out what went wrong on the test day. One more possibility is that when the test nears its end, the anxiety to see the score gets over the accuracy of questions being answered. If this happens one may end up getting last 5 to 6 questions wrong in a row. I am doubting now, whether I felt for this trap. Unfortunately, I can not give my second test before june 5, as I will be travelling to home country. This means that for the second test I need to study an additional section.

Hope we all conquer the gmat in few weeks time. Good Luck.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts