Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2544 [48]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [6]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619017 [4]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Non-profit
Send PM
Re: The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun to taper of [#permalink]
Kudos
A) Interest rates for home mortgages have increased significantly over the past six months.--- Strengthen the argument
b) The average size of a new home has increased significantly over the past several years.-Not relevant
c) Sales of condominiums have increased over the past six months.-Hold, this proves that people still want to buy condos
d) The cost of materials such as lumber and cement has decreased over the past year.-Very tempting but it does not have a strong connection with the premises as in choice c
e) Sales of other big-ticket items, such as automobiles and boats, has remained steady over the
past year.-Not relevant

Thus choice c is an answer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [2]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun to taper of [#permalink]
Kudos
GetThisDone wrote:
The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun to taper off. Developers are not
buying land, contractors are finding themselves going without work for longer periods, and
banks are issuing fewer mortgages. People must not be as interested in buying new homes as
they were even six months ago. Which of the following indicates a flaw in the reasoning
above?
A) Interest rates for home mortgages have increased significantly over the past six months.
b) The average size of a new home has increased significantly over the past several years.
c) Sales of condominiums have increased over the past six months.
d) The cost of materials such as lumber and cement has decreased over the past year.
e) Sales of other big-ticket items, such as automobiles and boats, has remained steady over the
past year.

Main CR Qs link - Main link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html

Wow, can't believe I got this one wrong. But well, let's see. My reasoning was..
First, the conclusion: "People must not be as interested in buying new homes as they were even six months ago" because of X,Y,Z in the stimulus.
Now what I thought inmediately after seeing (A) was it is not that people are not as interested in buying new houses, maybe they are but it is more expensive now, so they can't afford it. So (A) indicates a flaw in the argument.

Now answer (C) seems like a nice choice, but still the problem is that we can't actually assume that these condos are new homes, if they are existing ones then it does not weaken the conclusion at all

I wonder what is wrong in my reasoning...
Experts please advice
Thanks

Originally posted by jlgdr on 11 Oct 2013, 12:45.
Last edited by jlgdr on 03 Mar 2014, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [4]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Kudos
If sales of condominiums have increased over the past six months, the following would not be true.

"Developers are not buying land, contractors are finding themselves going without work for longer periods, and banks are issuing fewer mortgages.".

So, option A is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [2]
Given Kudos: 932
Send PM
Kudos
My reasoning:

The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun to taper off. Developers are not buying land, contractors are finding themselves going without work for longer periods, and banks are issuing fewer mortgages. People must not be as interested in buying new homes as they were even six months ago. Which of the following indicates a flaw in the reasoning above?

I felt that the stem is asking us about the FLAW in the arrival of the conclusion - so we need to pick the gap in the argument than only weaken or break it.

(A) Interest rates for home mortgages have increased significantly over the past six months - Coincides with the tapering of the boom. It clearly says: developers buy less, contractors are without work and banks give fewer mortgages. If we reverse the sequence we will know the clear reason - mortgages. People aren't choosing to buy less, they CAN'T as there has been an increase in interest rates. It would also explain that in case rates of interest DIDN'T increase, but fewer mortgages were given, development would still occur and boom may still be there.
(B) The average size of a new home has increased significantly over the past several years.
(C) Sales of condominiums have increased over the past six months. Condos still need to be built - if developers have overall slowed down, it doesn't give us any light as to why the conclusion is still 'the boom has slowed down'. That is, Condos would still contribute to overall revenue if it did increase.
(D) The cost of materials such as lumber and cement has decreased over the past year.
(E) Sales of other big-ticket items, such as automobiles and boats, has remained steady over the past year.

Hope this was helpful!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
Answer according to me should be A and not C. Here's my explanation.

Option C if anything,weakens the conclusion. The sale of condominiums has increased and therefore it clearly tells that people are still interested. Moreover option C sounds very specific by mentioning condominium, while the argument only states homes. They could be individual houses as well.

(A) Interest rates for home mortgages have increased significantly over the past six months.

A flaw however, should not support the conclusion(weakening and not supporting are different). Due to the increased mortgage rates people are not willing to shell out so much extra money, while they might still be interested in buying homes. Points out to the flaw that increased mortgage rates are putting people off from buying new homes and not their lack of interest.

I hope my reasoning was satisfying.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
Prediction: Look for another reason as to why less people are buying new homes.

Quote:
(A) Interest rates for home mortgages have increased significantly over the past six months.

CORRECT - this gives a reason for why less people are buying new homes - as they are becoming more expensive. In-turn, this dismantles the reasoning that people are becoming less interested in buying new homes.

Quote:
(B) The average size of a new home has increased significantly over the past several years.

Irrelevant. We cannot infer that this would increase new home prices or impact the interest of potential home buyers.

Quote:
(C) Sales of condominiums have increased over the past six months.

Remember we are concerned about new homes. Condominiums can't be inferred to mean 'new homes'. It is possible that these condominiums have been around for years and suddenly people are rushing to buy them.

Quote:
(D) The cost of materials such as lumber and cement has decreased over the past year.

If anything, this strengthens the argument.

Quote:
(E) Sales of other big-ticket items, such as automobiles and boats, has remained steady over the past year.

Irrelevant. We are strictly concerned with new homes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
GetThisDone wrote:
The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun to taper off. Developers are not
buying land, contractors are finding themselves going without work for longer periods, and
banks are issuing fewer mortgages. People must not be as interested in buying new homes as
they were even six months ago. Which of the following indicates a flaw in the reasoning
above?
A) Interest rates for home mortgages have increased significantly over the past six months.
b) The average size of a new home has increased significantly over the past several years.
c) Sales of condominiums have increased over the past six months.
d) The cost of materials such as lumber and cement has decreased over the past year.
past year.

Main CR Qs link - Main link - https://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-qs-600-700 ... 31508.html

Wow, can't believe I got this one wrong. But well, let's see. My reasoning was..
First, the conclusion: "People must not be as interested in buying new homes as they were even six months ago" because of X,Y,Z in the stimulus.
Now what I thought inmediately after seeing (A) was it is not that people are not as interested in buying new houses, maybe they are but it is more expensive now, so they can't afford it. So (A) indicates a flaw in the argument.

Now answer (C) seems like a nice choice, but still the problem is that we can't actually assume that these condos are new homes, if they are existing ones then it does not weaken the conclusion at all

I wonder what is wrong in my reasoning...
Experts please advice
Thanks

Condos mean new homes. That’s pretty obvious. My reasoning is this:

Since this is a flaw question and not a weakener:

Choice C would be weakener as it would add a new dimension to the stem to suggest people are buying homes as condos. So they are interested.

Whereas, mortgage is already included in the stem, and A provides us how mortgages are actually deterring interested people from buying. So this option is more of a flaw than the C one. That’s my understanding.

PS. I chose C too, but i understand how I was wrong,

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
Send PM
This doesn't seem like a flaw question, because flaw in the reasoning questions should not bring in outside information , rather should explain the reasoning behind why the conclusion doesn't hold true based on the evidence given in the argument

The answer is more of a weakner here, since its trying to say that some other reason is responsible for the construction boom to taper , rather than the people's interests.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 490 Q25 V32
Send PM
I replied wrongly by choosing C.

But now I can see why it's wrong.

The conclusion deals with HOUSES while the answer deals with CONDOMINIUNS (which is a FRACTION of all houses type).

That means that OVERALL the houses demand could decrease even though condominiuns demand increase and this can happen by a stronger decrease of indipendent houses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
GetThisDone wrote:
The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun to taper off. Developers are not buying land, contractors are finding themselves going without work for longer periods, and banks are issuing fewer mortgages. People must not be as interested in buying new homes as they were even six months ago.

Which of the following indicates a flaw in the reasoning above?

(C) Sales of condominiums have increased over the past six months.

Main CR Qs link - Main link - https://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-qs-600-70 ... 31508.html

Breakdown:
Construction has begun to taper off recently.
Why? Because developers are not buying land, workers are going without work for longer times, banks issuing fewer mortgages

Conclusion - People might not be interested in buying new homes as they were six months ago. (We can argue with this but with the facts given above as they are true)

Analysis:
Just because people are not interested in buying new homes now construction has started to taper off? Or is there another reason why construction has slowed down?
--> If we find an alternate reason why the demand has gone down then we can weaken the argument.

(A) Correct - It is because interest rates have gone up now and people were buying homes at low-interest rates before. There is low demand because people cannot afford homes and not because people are not interested. It is the affordability that is the issue. (Alternate reason)

(C) Strengthen - If sales of condominiums have increased over the past six months then it might be that people actually not interested in buying new homes now (no flaw in reasoning).

Feel free to reply for further discussion. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Let us break down the argument to understand it in a better way:

Statement 1: The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun to taper off.
  • This means that the construction boom which happened in the recent times is now coming down.
Statement 2: Developers are not buying land, contractors are finding themselves going without work for longer periods, and banks are issuing fewer mortgages.
  • The result of tapering of the boom is:
    • Developers not buying land
    • Contractors not having work for longer periods
    • Banks issuing fewer mortgages
  • Remember: This statement is not pointing to the reasons or causes behind the boom. In fact, it is the result of tapering of the boom. (Very important)
Statement 3: People must not be as interested in buying new homes as they were even six months ago.
  • The reason behind the scenario mentioned in the statement above must be the lack of interest of people in buying new homes as compared to that six months before.

Summary:
The boom is caused by the customers. In this case, the boom is caused by the people willing to buy new homes. The boom is tapering. Hence the developers, contractors and banks are acting as a reaction to the tapering boom.

Possible Counters to the argument:
We can counter the argument by attacking that people are interested in buying houses but there are other reasons due to which they are not preferring to buy them. Any option that is inline to the above possible counter stated above is the right answer.

(A) Interest rates for home mortgages have increased significantly over the past six months. - Correct
  • This answer choice talks that the people are interested to buy new home, but the high interest rates is stopping them from doing so.
  • This states the reason behind the decrease in people's interest to buy new homes. This is a potential flaw in the argument.
(B) The average size of a new home has increased significantly over the past several years.- Incorrect
  • The increase in average size of the home does not have an impact on the interest of people to buy new homes.
  • Nothing about the size of the home required by the people is mentioned in the passage.
(C) Sales of condominiums have increased over the past six months. - Incorrect
  • Increased sales of condominiums shows that people are interested in buying the condominiums.
  • This is opposite of what is required.
(D) The cost of materials such as lumber and cement has decreased over the past year.- Incorrect
  • This is an incentive to increase the constructions.
  • Hence, this answer is not correct as it performs an opposite function of what is desired.
(E) Sales of other big-ticket items, such as automobiles and boats, has remained steady over the past year. - Incorrect
  • This does not affect the people's interest in buying new home.
­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Which of the following indicates a flaw in the reasoning above?

what type of question is this? I believed it was weaken type question.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts