Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Least competitive MBA that can still get you into IB? [#permalink]

Originally posted by RG0105 on 10 May 2012, 11:19.
Last edited by RG0105 on 26 Aug 2012, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.37
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Great post.
I thought it was interesting that Dartmouth is listed undergrad but Tuck is left out of the grad list. What do you think that has to do with? Small class size so no recruitment on campus?

RG0105 wrote:
It really depends on the bank and whether you'd be willing to work outside of NYC (Carolina schools dominate Charlotte, Cali schools dominate SF/LA, Texas schools dominate Houston, etc.). I'd say for NYC, top 10 are targets, next 10 are semi-targets, and 21-30 are possible but extremely difficult.

Here's an example of the schools where Jefferies recruits:
https://www.jefco.com/cositemgr.pl/html/ ... ndex.shtml

From that list you can see the usual suspects (M7) and a few lower ranked schools (UNC, Notre Dame, Stevens). Obviously every bank is different and has their own list of target schools. I imagine if you did some research, you'd be able to find similar information for most banks.

Just off the top of my head, I think the lowest ranked school I've heard of that consistently places into IB is SMU (for Dallas offices).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
gmatz101 wrote:
Hi, everyone. I'm basically wondering about the worst of the best MBA. What's the least competitive business school that can still get you into Investment Banking? I'm asking, because recently I saw something. I saw that even schools like Thunderbird or Hult are able to send students to big name companies. I'm not saying people getting MBAs from these schools are getting accepted into IB positions, but it still sounds pretty assuring when Thunderbird lists Goldman or Hult lists Chase or some other big bank. I also understand that, of course they are allowed to list Goldman as a recruiter even only if 1 person out of a class of 200 gets a job there.

Here's my list:

Thunderbird
Hult
Kogod

Personally, I'll try to avoid these schools as much as possible, but they are still options for people like me.

GMATLA makes a very good point. When looking at employment reports, many MBA applicants make the mistake of equating industry with function. Just because you work at an Investment Bank doesn't necessarily mean that you are an Investment Banker. Companies like Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley have more people in their support functions than in their IB division. I doubt that there is going to be any significant IB recruiting by the BB banks outside the top 15 business schools. Of course if you are good at networking and recruiting yourself, you could probably get an IB job from almost any b-school.

The other thing to note (if you are not in a top target school) is that most banks probably do some recruiting regionally outside of their target schools. For example if you are in an NYC area school (or even in a Chicago or SF area school), you will probably find it considerably easier to get interviews for IB positions then if you are say, in Arizona.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Throughout history there have been emerging a series of tools and suggestions for improving the performance of companies. Companies have laid aside the mentality of focusing solely on production and have experienced new strategies to achieve customer satisfaction.

________
Online MBA | MBA in IT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GPA: 3.02
Send PM
It's complicated IB refers to a huge number of firms, ranging from Bulge Brackets to tiny boutiques. While GS, MS and DB are going to hire primarily out of the top 8 schools there will be plenty going from NYU and other less well ranked schools. For middle markets, recruitment is more regional, a lot of Vandy grads are at Morgan Keegan, which is now part of Raymond James, Emory sends to SunTrust Robinson Humphrey and UNC to Wells and BofAML in Charlotte. I'd say any top 50 school will give you a shot, however it all depends on the market and I would likely take SMU or Minnesota over the better ranked ASU
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I agree: Most top-50 schools will give you a shot at a regional investment banking role, especially if the school has a strong undergrad alumni network. I wasn't even interested in i-banking really but I wanted to keep it open as an option. No i-banks recruited at my MBA program (top 40 USNews), but I got interviews with middle market firms left and right just by emailing various MDs who went to my school's undergrad program. I probably got a dozen informational interviews on the phone and then 5 "real" interviews.

I could have gotten an offer, I think, but I turned down my 2nd round interviews since I had accepted a role. I had the modeling experience from classwork, a modeling bootcamp, and internships in equity research.
GMAT Club Bot