Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 0
GPA: 3.92
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Corporate Finance (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Re: Ask ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Quote:
Thanks in advance for taking the time to evaluate my profile. Could you possibly
(1) Evaluate my profile along with my chances at schools targeted?
(2) Suggest some areas to improve on before applying and some other schools to consider?

For reference, I am thinking of applying for Fall 2014 matriculation.

Education- BS Biomedical Engineering w/ Emphasis in Mechanical from top 20 Engineering Program GPA: 2.9 Major GPA: 3.1. Absolutely was not prepared for college (study habits, etc.) and had a 2.4 in my Freshman year. Improved after that and had a 3.4 my final and toughest semester.

GMAT- 730 (Q: 49, V:41, AWA: 6.0)

Work Experience: Current Position is as Analyst in F500 Corp Finance and have received a promotion in my 1 year here, before that I had 1 year exp as Design Engineer at small Tech/Defense firm. Also have 2 summers of boutique Private Equity internship.

International Work Experience: Not a whole lot right now. But may be traveling soon to Asia and/or Central America for meetings.

ECs:
-Involved in small volunteering opportunities in college
-Now involved with Boys & Girls Club as well as Acumen Fund-like non-profit

Target Schools: Wharton, Tuck, Booth, Ross, Columbia, Cornell, Kenan-Flagler

Goals: Healthcare/Biotech Investment Banking or possibly Corp Dev

smahr11,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 730, our experience indicates you would be a stretch candidate at Wharton, Columbia, and Booth, between stretch and competitive (closer to stretch) at Tuck, between stretch and competitive at Ross, competitive at Cornell, and strong at Kenan-Flagler. Keep in mind these projections are relative to your current profile - since you indicated that you would be applying next year to start at a program in 2014, you have some time to improve some.

The main challenge will be your undergraduate GPA. It is important and helpful for you to have a higher GPA as an upperclassman, so definitely point this out in your applications. At the same time, even your last term GPA of 3.4 would be lower than the average GPA for most top programs. MBA programs do recognize that engineering as an undergraduate major is fairly difficult, so you do get some "strengh of schedule" credit for this major. At the same time, it would make sense for you to consider taking (and more importantly, excelling in) a class or two prior to applying. Clearly, with an engineering major, you've already taken calculus - many humanities majors take calculus prior to applying to MBA programs to help their profile. Instead, you might consider taking economics and/or accounting, especially if you have already taken one of those as an undergrad and performed poorly. The fact that your GMAT quant split is high will help you somewhat in proving to the ad coms that you have strong analytical skills, as would strong evidence in your work experience in the finance department of solving problems. At the same time, with a 41 verbal GMAT split, you'll need to round out your essays with stories of communication, leadership, persuasion, etc. to prove that, as an engineer (by training) that you can take on a management role.

As far as other topics, it will be helpful for you to gain additional promotions, to improve your experience by leading projects and delivering strong (quantified) results, and to develop relationships with several key managers/leaders in your organization who can write recommendations for you. In terms of extracurricular activities, it will be key to gain one or two leadership positions and to be able to document clear, impressive accomplishments.

Your career goals are specific, which is good. I assume you might work currently in the health care or biotech space, given that you mentioned you have an interest in investment banking within those specific industries. As you prepare for your applications, we always recommend to clients that you find people to talk to who are currently in those industries to learn more about the roles and responsibilities.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
BrianW wrote:
Quote:
Hi Brian / Gil,

Thanks for starting this thread. Your comments are very helpful. They gave me a perspective which I was possibly missing until now. Please let me know what you think about this profile:

Nationality: Indian

Education:
- Under Grad: Bachelor of Engineering (from a top 20 university in India)
- GPA: 80% (the top ranker scored around 90%)
- GMAT: 700 (Q49, V35) AWA 5.5

Work Experience - 11 years
Sector - IT
Company - Largest IT firm in India
Highlights:
- Worked in US for 5 years for different clients
- Presented a software solution to the CFO of a client company
- Led the turnaround effort on two programs that were almost doomed to fail
- Received multiple awards from clients as well as employer on delivery excellence and leadership
- 5 years in leadership roles

Need for MBA (with focus on Consulting/Finance/Leadership & Strategy) - Until recently, I was happy with my career and busy with my family life; which is why I probably never though about spending tons on an MBA. However, as I am progressing to higher roles I am finding it difficult to grow due to a lack of formal education on certain topics such as the ones mentioned above. So, I need an MBA in order to pursue further career goals.

Future career goals -
Short term - move from an IT solution delivery role to an IT consulting role within the Finance domain.
- need to understand more about how the finance function in a company work
- need a better understanding on the various concepts within the finance domain
- need to discover new areas where IT can act as an enabler

Long term - move from an IT consulting role to an IT management role
- utilize the consulting experience to help build a strong IT organization in a company

Contemplating on following Schools (need to shortlist to 3):
1. Wharton
2. Kellog
3. Sloan
4. Ross
5. Darden
6. Tepper
7. Kelley
8. UNC

I will appreciate any general feedback that you provide on the profile. Apart from that I have a few specific questions -

1. Is my age going to be a real dampner on my prospects for a 2-yr full time MBA? I was thinking that my experience will help but it appears that it might not. Executive MBA in US is not an automatic choice for me due to job and immigration uncertainties. So, I though a 2-yr full time would have been more appropriate.
2. How important is the role of my GPA percentage after 11 years of experience? Getting a percentile rank from my university is a bit tricky for me. My normal rank would have been 88 percentile. However, my official rank is 26 percentile. This is because I fell ill during a semester. Per our university rules, students who miss exams are given a second chance during the following semester but marks scored in such exams are not credited to the percentile rank.
3. In my current role, my client manager and my client business users are closer to my daily work than my employer manager. Is it appropriate to consider the "immediate supervisor" recommendation as one from my client manager instead of one from my employer manager?
4. Currently I am in a IT functional leadership role, directing solution approaches. However, I do not have any direct reports and am not a manager. How does that weigh in during the MBA admission process?

Looking forward to your suggestions and opinions. Once again thank you for offering to help!

Regards,

goforanmba,

Thank you for submitting your profile. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 700, our experience indicates you would be a stretch candidate at top 10 programs, between competitive and stretch (closer to stretch) at Darden, between competitive and stretch at Tepper, competitive at Kenan-Flagler, and strong at Indiana Kelley.

Regarding your questions, which hit upon the main points I would have otherwise mentioned in response to your profile:

1) Applying to a full-time MBA program at age 34 will have a significant negative impact on your chances. In our experience, after the age of about 29-30, with each succeeding year it becomes a bit more difficult to gain admission to a full-time program. For context, you would have been amongst the oldest 2-3 students in my 600+ person Kellogg graduating class. Based on our experience, with 10+ years of work I might recommend that you more seriously consider an executive MBA. I know you mentioned there are some issues that caused you to consider the full-time program, but you might consider other international programs with executive MBA programs to avoid these issues. Another reason to consider an executive (or even part-time) MBA is that it appears you're not interested in changing careers but rather in a partial career change or with more context about other aspects of business within your current field. You will find that this type of profile aligns much more with a part-time or EMBA student vs. a full-time MBA student.

2) and 4) (As they are related, in my view)
The importance of your undergraduate GPA is realistically lower for someone with as much work experience as you have. At the same time, with this much experience, the number of people that you directly manage and the scope of your responsibilities count that much more. So, the fact that you do not directly manage any colleagues currently would be a bit of a concern for programs. I would advise you to explain this in your essays somewhat, to at least highlight if you have previously managed colleagues in the past and perhaps now are in a different kind of role.

3) It is fine to have clients write your recommendations for you, instead of your functional/direct manager. All you would need to do is write a very brief 1-2 sentence overview in one of the optional essays to explain that the person(s) you chose to write your recommendations know you the best and have had long enough relationships with you to be able to judge your abilities against a peer group.

I do not want to discourage you from applying to full-time MBA programs, but your age at this point is going to be a fairly large factor (and one that you cannot do anything about). My view would be that you either focus on top 20-25 programs in the US, or look at executive MBA programs.

Best of luck,

Thanks Brian,

I appreciate the way you have put it. This is very helpful to me. Talking about the top set of schools in US, are their executive programs as competitive as the full time ones? I understand that the criteria will be vastly different for these two programs, given that one will put more weightage on the quality of experience and the other perhaps more on academics. But in terms of acceptability of applicants, are executive programs less competitive?

Do you think that my profile will be competitive for the executive MBA programs at either Ross, Darden, Kellog, Booth or Wharton?
I don't think Kelley has an executive program; Tepper has one that doesn't quite suit me. I haven't checked Kenan-Flagler yet.

Regards,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Thanks Brian,

I appreciate the way you have put it. This is very helpful to me. Talking about the top set of schools in US, are their executive programs as competitive as the full time ones? I understand that the criteria will be vastly different for these two programs, given that one will put more weightage on the quality of experience and the other perhaps more on academics. But in terms of acceptability of applicants, are executive programs less competitive?

Do you think that my profile will be competitive for the executive MBA programs at either Ross, Darden, Kellog, Booth or Wharton?
I don't think Kelley has an executive program; Tepper has one that doesn't quite suit me. I haven't checked Kenan-Flagler yet.

Regards,

goforanmba,

Thanks for the follow-up questions. As you point out, the criteria for entry into executive MBA programs are weighted much more towards the quality and amount of (leadership) experience. The GMAT does play a role in EMBA applications, but in our experience it plays less of a role relative to part-time or full-time MBA programs. As far as the competitiveness goes, it's perhaps a hard aspect to judge. In my view the competitiveness of a program (or in this case, program type) is not best viewed as the proportion of applicants who are accepted out of those who apply, but rather the 'bar' at which an applicant needs to be at in order to gain entry. In this regard, I would say that top-tier EMBA programs are competitive, but just in a different way relative to the full-time programs.

Aringo has experience in working with clients to gain acceptance into EMBA programs. But, since the EMBA program criteria are much more based on qualitative aspects rather than quantitative metrics, in our experience the EMBA chances evaluation first assessment is best done over a full resume and work history review.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General , Finance
 Q49  V32 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
GPA: 4
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Private Equity
Send PM
Data Edited

Originally posted by StickerShock on 30 Apr 2012, 14:39.
Last edited by StickerShock on 27 Dec 2012, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
My profile:

Age 27, India
GMAT = 710

An Engineer --> B.Tech ( Electronics and Communications) from Central University in Delhi,India

Work Experience = 4 years Telecom Industry, Cuurently posted in London for past 1 Month and till Next year.Got a promotion and was handling part of management role in the previous project.

My goal would be to work in general management.

As per my GPA goes its 7.7/10 in my graduation and this is my third GMAT attempt.

To further diversify I want to be a Telecom Consultant after my MBA to be precise.

I am planning to get involved in the community services soon, I used to do it in India independently teaching poor children and not got associated with any NGO, which I am planning to do so this year here in London.

Or any other information or opinions from you are welcomed.

Can I get into the top 20 B Schools, primarily targetting ISB, NUS in Asia and Tuck,Kellogg,Sloan,Haas,Fuqua,Tuck in US and LBS,Said in UK.

Can you let me know am I doing an appropiate selection or please let me know the universities I should target.I am interested in both 1 year and 2 year span of education
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello ,

Below is an excerpt of my profile.Please evaluate my profile and provide your valuable feedback/suggestions

Name:Gopal Panigrahy / 30 Y/ Male

Citizenship: INDIA

Qualification: B.E in Computer Science and Engineering- 78%/2004 (75% is the score for distinction in the university).Just adding this point, if it is noteworthy. The highest percentage attained in the CSE stream was 84% and I am ranked in the top 5.If required can get a recommendation letter from the university.

Query: I understand Adcoms use various merit methods to convert the percentage into CGPA/GPA for evaluation. So, I am not quite sure, on conversion, how the CGPA/GPA would look like. Please provide your comments on this.

Work Experience: 7 years 9 months of experience in Insurance/Accounting and Telecom software development industry.

Gist of my WE:

Overall International Exposure: 1.5 years at various locations such as Liverpool/London (UK), Dallas (TX) and Los Angeles (CA).

Current Exp:

Project Manager – SAP services at Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) for a European Telecom Client.

Duration: 1.5 Years

Managing a team of 20+ associates

I have contributed significantly towards the revenue growth by acquiring many multimillion dollar projects and by successfully executing them. In the last 3 quarters (Q2-Q4), the team size under SAP Services portfolio has doubled and revenue realization has stayed quite higher than the corporate set figures.

Prior Exp:

Business Development Lead at Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC)
Duration: 4 Years

Software Engineer at Accenture Services Pvt Ltd
Duration: 2.2 Years

Awards & Recognitions:
1. Certificate of Appreciation (innovation - MCCA MMS project) - CSC India, 2010
2. Certificate of Appreciation (innovation - MCCA RFR project) - CSC India, 2010
3. Certificate of Appreciation (Delivery) - CSC India, 2010
4. Special Recognition Award - CSC United States (At Client Location, LosAngeles), 2008
5. High performance Delivered Award - Accenture (RSA Client), 2007
6. Instant Karma Award - Accenture, 2006
7. Super trooper Award - Accenture, 2006
8. JSE Achievers Award - Accenture, 2005

Query: Please provide your feedback on my WE.I would still like to invest a year to shape up my WE, if required. Basically I would like to do anything that can help me offset my low GMAT score.

GMAT Score:

GMAT 1: 470 (Q48,V11)
GMAT 2: 630(Q48, V28)
GMAT 3: 600(Q48, V24)
GMAT 4: 660(Q48, V34)

I do not wish to retake the test. I am done with it. It is not that I have given up, but I feel I am shelling out lot of my valuable time to attain the 700 mark. Although 700+ is a strong criteria for many good colleges,I would like to manage without that score.

Query: I am targeting for only 1 year MBA programs. Please advise on the colleges that I can apply in India and abroad. I understand that I need to be more specific on my question. But at this very moment, I am not able to figure out the best chances I have for the top 30 colleges.

Extracurricular Activity:

Member of a voluntary organization (in TCS) that works for various social causes. I mostly contribute towards educating homeless children and arranging funds from TCS – associates by demonstrating various social problems through articles in newsletters, cultural events etc.

Since a decade, I am working in one of the rural areas for various developments, such as facilitating a library, drinking water etc. There are many areas that I have worked and I can provide an elaborate list of my work. Well, I am not sure if any proof of such activities will be needed, but I can get a recommendation letter from the govt appointed committee.

Query: Please comment if such involvements can add value to my profile. I am ready to invest more number of years, if required, towards any other suggested extracurricular activities.

Why MBA? :

Short Term Goal (5 to 10 years): Business / IT consulting. To gain Industry exposure in the realm of setting up, reforming and executing various business models operative across different industry verticals.

Long term Goal (10 years +): Establishing a firm that would engage in various business consulting activities. Also, I have the aspiration to establish a network of non-profit consulting firm (driven by the above mentioned profit organization) that would engage in helping various small industries to establish (particularly in rural areas).I have not really got the framework on paper but I am working on it. The idea is to pool the knowledge and experience of many people like you and me into a single stream that can make few lives better. The motive is “To make one single place better to live”.

Query: In sum, this is what I have in me and this I want to do. I understand that I may not make into the top notch colleges because of a low GMAT score. But I would be happy if any decent college (that would mind accepting my profile) can help me to reach my goals.

Please comment/advise on the B schools that I can apply. Please, also, comment on my profile and suggest any improvements that can make my profile better.
I value your time .Thanks in advance

Cheers,
GKP
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thanks in advance for taking the time to evaluate my profile. Could you possibly
(2) Suggest some areas to improve on before applying and some other schools to consider? Should I take gmat again to possibly increase the score by 20~30points?

For reference, I am thinking of applying for Fall 2013 matriculation.

Area of interest: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Education- Top 25 US liberal arts college Major: Economics Minor: Math/Stats GPA 3.49 GPA is trending upward(avg GPA during my freshman/sophomore was ~3.2 wheras the one during my junior/senior was ~3.7)

Expecting to earn CFA charter this December.

GMAT- 710 (Q: 49, V:39(Not sure), AWA: 4.5) -this is my second attempt and 1.5 month before that i scored 640(positive sign of improvement?)

Work Experience: Current Position is as Investment Analyst(2.5yrs in a local investment management firm( Assets under management ~30 Billion). Two years as an investment accountant at the same firm. 2yrs of Military experience.

ECs:
Undergrad
-Men's choir
-Asian Students Association
-Intramural sports

Post grad
-Church choir
-Small group leader
-Elected Staff member
-Few other voluntary works

Others: East Asian male but have grew up in total of 5 different countries(if that's of any positive). I speak three languages.

Target Schools: Wharton, MIT, Chicago, Columbia, Dartmouth, Duke, Yale, UCLA, Cornell

Post MBA: Continue to pursue finance possibly in a global finance company at Wallstreet

Thanks. I am looking forward to hearing back from you!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hello Sir,

I would like you to please evaluate and provide feedback on my profile.

Name - Parvez
Gender - Male
Nationality - Indian

Qualification - Bachelor of Engineering (Information Technology) (July 2005) - passed with distinction

GMAT score - 710 (v41, q45) AWA score : 5 (first attempt)
TOEFL - Yet to write

Work Experience - 7 years.

Current Employer - Cisco Systems (2009- current)
Software Development in new network node in next generation(3G/4G and LTE) telecom network. As a senior engineer in the team day-today work include design, development, training or mentoring juniors, newcomers and freshers, interviewing and screening prospective candidates, participating in road map meetings, technical presentation and training to different teams (like QA, customer support, documentation, technical support, customer site engineers), supporting customer escalations, developing deployment strategy, reviewing work of other engineers etc.

Past employers - Symantec Corp (2007-2009) and Sybase(2005-2007)

Awards and Recognition -
Ranked first in school in secondary school certificate (10th grade)
Various certificates of appreciation in drawing and paintings.
Sybase STAR award trophy
Cisco STAR award

Post-MBA I would like to stick to Software or Technology companies, accordingly I would like to opt for MBA programs and colleges. I am looking for 1 year MBA programs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Aringo,

I want to pursue a 1-year Full time MBA. The goal is to climb the corporate ladder. Iam interested in IMD, INSEAD and the 1 year program at Kellogg. Please evaluate my profile. Thanks for your help.

GMAT: 650 Q48, V32
Female, 35 Years old
Citizenship: India, Living in US since 2003
Educational Background: Bachelors in Electronics and Communication, India
Masters in Electrical and Computer Engineering, US
(Recipient of full scholarship for the 2 year Master of Science program.)

Work Experience: 12 Years in Semiconductor and Automotive Industry.
Job Profiles: Software Engineer, Supplier and Sub-contract Manager, Project Manager, Program Manager.

Work Experience Details:
2000-2003
-- Worked as a software and design engineer in leading Semiconductor Company.
2003-2005
-- Worked as a graduate research assistant while pursuing my Masters.
2005 -2011
-- After my graduation I started working with a leading Tier-1 Automotive supplier. In the six years with the company I progressed from a lead Engineer to Supplier and Sub-Contract Manager to Project Manager.
2011- Current
-- Working as a Program Manager for a leading American Car Manufacturer.

-- International experience:
- Two expat assignments to Germany and India.
- Travelled extensively on work to Europe and Asia.
- Worked very closely with internal teams and suppliers based out of China, Mexico, India, Poland, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Korea and Japan.

-- Extra Curricular:
- Mentor at the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
- Volunteer at Akshara, a Literacy mission.
- Volunteer at the Indy 500 Marathon.
- Tutoring underprivileged kids.
- Volunteer at Gleaners Food bank and Soup kitchen.
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi Brian. I'd love to hear your advice. Here is my profile:

Nationality: India

Education:
B.E. (BS Equivalent)-Mechanical Engineering 4 years
GPA: 4.0 (First Class with Distnction, Highest grade)
Undergraduate University: Non IIT, but consistent top 15 in India
GMAT: 670 Q49, V32 AWA 6.0 :oops:

Work Experience:
Associate at an Emerging India Based Private Equity Fund in the process of fundraising.
Closed around US$100 million worth equity deals with the parent company of the fund.
Consultant in Big 4 in Financial and Strategic Risk Management prior to that. Have few major big ticket projects

Extracurriculars:
Major FSAE (Formula SAE) experience, built 5 race cars in college over 4 years and took them around the world to race. Still involved with the project in a mentoring role.Headed both Technical and Management positions in the team
Active in Social Leadership activities in college as well as after that. Have adopted a village in rural India and hoping to create a major platform for development

Schools:
1. Northwestern University (Kellogg)
2. University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)
3. University of Chicago (Booth)
4. Columbia
5. London Business School

After my MBA I want to continue in PE and open an emerging market PE fund in the next 10 years . I'm looking to apply for Fall 2013. What do you think are my chances at the schools I've listed?
Do I absolutely need to give the GMAT again? :?:

Thanks again!

StickerSH :shock: CK !

StickerShock,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 670, our experience indicates you would be between a stretch and competitive candidate (closer to stretch) at Wharton and Kellogg, between stretch and competitive at Booth and Columbia, and strong at London Business School.

First, let me start by saying it is a pleasure to see a fellow FSAE alum thinking about applying to business school. I was the suspension leader for the University of Michigan's FSAE team in my undergraduate days, and like you I advised my former team after I graduated. Involvement in this activity can be a significant differentiator for applicants, because I can virtually guarantee you that you would be one of the only (if not the only) student in a top MBA program with this background. However, the admissions committees do not generally understand FSAE, so it is imperative that you provide them with the right context. A couple of these items include:

- Since you attended an Indian university and because FSAE in India has recently started to take off there, you were presumably part of the initial group (or perhaps 1-2 years into the initial group) that started the team at your university
- Talk about how you grew into 'something' during your tenure. If in the first year your team didn't finish the car, but in your last two years you finished a working car and/or finished endurance, this is a huge story and accomplishment to speak to
- Because you currently advise the team, talk about how proud you are of the legacy you left and the relationships you built with your teammates (this speaks to how you would be a strong MBA alum and contribute to the network)
- Mention the number of hours per week that you were involved. People are amazed that students spend 40+ hours per week on these teams
- Mention the number of teams you were competing against and that this is a global competition. Mention your team's finish and/or ranking, in particular how it improved or evolved (if positive) during your tenure with the team
- Discuss the number of students that you were in charge of - if you were the technical leader or the team manager this would easily be 10-15 students or more
- Describe the application to the real world - how you learned about teamwork, how you married the combination of theory and practice, etc.

Obviously, your essays need to have significant focus on your professional work history. My point in the above statements is to make sure you consider spendig perhaps 1 essay (or part of it) talking about some of these issues so that you truly are able to stand out with your FSAE experience.

As far as the GMAT is concerned, you do not necessarily need to re-take the GMAT, but an improvement in your score up past the 700 mark would definitely provide you with improved chances at top programs.

Best of luck,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
My profile:

Age 27, India
GMAT = 710

An Engineer --> B.Tech ( Electronics and Communications) from Central University in Delhi,India

Work Experience = 4 years Telecom Industry, Cuurently posted in London for past 1 Month and till Next year.Got a promotion and was handling part of management role in the previous project.

My goal would be to work in general management.

As per my GPA goes its 7.7/10 in my graduation and this is my third GMAT attempt.

To further diversify I want to be a Telecom Consultant after my MBA to be precise.

I am planning to get involved in the community services soon, I used to do it in India independently teaching poor children and not got associated with any NGO, which I am planning to do so this year here in London.

Or any other information or opinions from you are welcomed.

Can I get into the top 20 B Schools, primarily targetting ISB, NUS in Asia and Tuck,Kellogg,Sloan,Haas,Fuqua,Tuck in US and LBS,Said in UK.

Can you let me know am I doing an appropiate selection or please let me know the universities I should target.I am interested in both 1 year and 2 year span of education

appsgmat,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis on the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 710, our experience indicates you would be a stretch candidate at Kellogg, between stretch and competitive (closer to stretch) at Sloan and Haas, between stretch and competitive at Tuck, between stretch and competitive (closer to competitive) at LBS, and competitive at Fuqua and Said. You would likely be between competitive and strong at ISB and NUS, although we have slightly less precision with those programs in terms of projecting chances.

Regarding your future career goals, they are definitely aligned with your background and you would be able to leverage your knowledge of the telecom industry. However, please just keep in mind that the vast majority of the larger consulting firms want post-MBA consultants to be generalists in their first several years after graduation. One exception to this would be Booz & Co. So, while you can definitely focus on telecom after a couple years and in a manager or above role, you may not be able to (completely) do telecom cases right after you graduate at a firm like BCG, for example.

In terms of your community service, it is important that you point out in your application that you have a consistent history of involvement. By nature of the fact that you have recently moved to a new area, you need to initiate some involvement. But, in our experience, if you only point to your recent involvement, it does not really count as much in the eyes of the admission committees (and in fact is somewhat counterproductive).

Best of luck,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hello ,

Below is an excerpt of my profile.Please evaluate my profile and provide your valuable feedback/suggestions

Name:Gopal Panigrahy / 30 Y/ Male

Citizenship: INDIA

Qualification: B.E in Computer Science and Engineering- 78%/2004 (75% is the score for distinction in the university).Just adding this point, if it is noteworthy. The highest percentage attained in the CSE stream was 84% and I am ranked in the top 5.If required can get a recommendation letter from the university.

Query: I understand Adcoms use various merit methods to convert the percentage into CGPA/GPA for evaluation. So, I am not quite sure, on conversion, how the CGPA/GPA would look like. Please provide your comments on this.

Work Experience: 7 years 9 months of experience in Insurance/Accounting and Telecom software development industry.

Gist of my WE:

Overall International Exposure: 1.5 years at various locations such as Liverpool/London (UK), Dallas (TX) and Los Angeles (CA).

Current Exp:

Project Manager – SAP services at Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) for a European Telecom Client.

Duration: 1.5 Years

Managing a team of 20+ associates

I have contributed significantly towards the revenue growth by acquiring many multimillion dollar projects and by successfully executing them. In the last 3 quarters (Q2-Q4), the team size under SAP Services portfolio has doubled and revenue realization has stayed quite higher than the corporate set figures.

Prior Exp:

Business Development Lead at Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC)
Duration: 4 Years

Software Engineer at Accenture Services Pvt Ltd
Duration: 2.2 Years

Awards & Recognitions:
1. Certificate of Appreciation (innovation - MCCA MMS project) - CSC India, 2010
2. Certificate of Appreciation (innovation - MCCA RFR project) - CSC India, 2010
3. Certificate of Appreciation (Delivery) - CSC India, 2010
4. Special Recognition Award - CSC United States (At Client Location, LosAngeles), 2008
5. High performance Delivered Award - Accenture (RSA Client), 2007
6. Instant Karma Award - Accenture, 2006
7. Super trooper Award - Accenture, 2006
8. JSE Achievers Award - Accenture, 2005

Query: Please provide your feedback on my WE.I would still like to invest a year to shape up my WE, if required. Basically I would like to do anything that can help me offset my low GMAT score.

GMAT Score:

GMAT 1: 470 (Q48,V11)
GMAT 2: 630(Q48, V28)
GMAT 3: 600(Q48, V24)
GMAT 4: 660(Q48, V34)

I do not wish to retake the test. I am done with it. It is not that I have given up, but I feel I am shelling out lot of my valuable time to attain the 700 mark. Although 700+ is a strong criteria for many good colleges,I would like to manage without that score.

Query: I am targeting for only 1 year MBA programs. Please advise on the colleges that I can apply in India and abroad. I understand that I need to be more specific on my question. But at this very moment, I am not able to figure out the best chances I have for the top 30 colleges.

Extracurricular Activity:

Member of a voluntary organization (in TCS) that works for various social causes. I mostly contribute towards educating homeless children and arranging funds from TCS – associates by demonstrating various social problems through articles in newsletters, cultural events etc.

Since a decade, I am working in one of the rural areas for various developments, such as facilitating a library, drinking water etc. There are many areas that I have worked and I can provide an elaborate list of my work. Well, I am not sure if any proof of such activities will be needed, but I can get a recommendation letter from the govt appointed committee.

Query: Please comment if such involvements can add value to my profile. I am ready to invest more number of years, if required, towards any other suggested extracurricular activities.

Why MBA? :

Short Term Goal (5 to 10 years): Business / IT consulting. To gain Industry exposure in the realm of setting up, reforming and executing various business models operative across different industry verticals.

Long term Goal (10 years +): Establishing a firm that would engage in various business consulting activities. Also, I have the aspiration to establish a network of non-profit consulting firm (driven by the above mentioned profit organization) that would engage in helping various small industries to establish (particularly in rural areas).I have not really got the framework on paper but I am working on it. The idea is to pool the knowledge and experience of many people like you and me into a single stream that can make few lives better. The motive is “To make one single place better to live”.

Query: In sum, this is what I have in me and this I want to do. I understand that I may not make into the top notch colleges because of a low GMAT score. But I would be happy if any decent college (that would mind accepting my profile) can help me to reach my goals.

Please comment/advise on the B schools that I can apply. Please, also, comment on my profile and suggest any improvements that can make my profile better.
I value your time .Thanks in advance

Cheers,
GKP

GKP,

Thank you for your extensive profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 660, our experience indicates you would be between a stretch and competitive candidate at Anderson, Darden, and Cornell (which has a 1 year program), competitive at IESE, and between competitive and strong at IE and ESADE.

In general, please keep in mind that, in our experience, the odds of admission to top MBA programs declines every year for applicants who are over the age of 29 or 30. As such, I would strongly encourage you to apply this year (vs. waiting another year). After 8 years of work experience, I'm not sure you need to "shore up" your work accomplishments. Rather, keep in mind that with each year of additional work experience, the ad coms expect that you have more and more impressive accomplishments. So, there is a sliding, vs. an absolute, scale that exists in this respect. Similarly, I would not recommend that you take a year to improve your extracurrucular activities. If, after 8 years of work experience, you try to take a year to improve outside interests, it actually can appear to be superficial on paper (even if this is not the case).

I agree with you that it is not worth your time (or money, or effort) to try to take the GMAT again. After four attempts, you've probably maximized your score. Regarding your GPA, please do not concern yourself with trying to convert it. Ad coms receive so many applications from Indians that they know how to convert. The most important thing to do is to show your percentile, not your actual rank. Your actual rank is less helpful because it is not a relative metric.

After almost 8 years of work experience, you won't need to specify the number of months within a year you've worked. This is perhaps too much precision - just say your work experience is about 8 years.

Regarding your career goals, your long term goals right now are somewhat general, so I would encourage you to make this a bit more concrete in your essays.

The most important thing for you to think about is how to differentiate yourself in your applications and essays. The admissions committees see so many applications from male Indian engineers every year who work in IT and/or telecom and/or outsourcing.

Best of luck,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
(2) Suggest some areas to improve on before applying and some other schools to consider? Should I take gmat again to possibly increase the score by 20~30points?

For reference, I am thinking of applying for Fall 2013 matriculation.

Area of interest: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Education- Top 25 US liberal arts college Major: Economics Minor: Math/Stats GPA 3.49 GPA is trending upward(avg GPA during my freshman/sophomore was ~3.2 wheras the one during my junior/senior was ~3.7)

Expecting to earn CFA charter this December.

GMAT- 710 (Q: 49, V:39(Not sure), AWA: 4.5) -this is my second attempt and 1.5 month before that i scored 640(positive sign of improvement?)

Work Experience: Current Position is as Investment Analyst(2.5yrs in a local investment management firm( Assets under management ~30 Billion). Two years as an investment accountant at the same firm. 2yrs of Military experience.

ECs:
Undergrad
-Men's choir
-Asian Students Association
-Intramural sports

Post grad
-Church choir
-Small group leader
-Elected Staff member
-Few other voluntary works

Others: East Asian male but have grew up in total of 5 different countries(if that's of any positive). I speak three languages.

Target Schools: Wharton, MIT, Chicago, Columbia, Dartmouth, Duke, Yale, UCLA, Cornell

Post MBA: Continue to pursue finance possibly in a global finance company at Wallstreet

Thanks. I am looking forward to hearing back from you!!

playboy88,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 710, our experience indicates you would be between a stretch and competitive candidate (closer to stretch) at Wharton, between stretch and competitive at Sloan, Booth, and Columbia, competitive at Tuck and Yale SOM, and strong at Fuqua, Anderson, and Johnson.

First, some positives in your profile: It's better to have your undergraduate GPA higher in your later years, and you appear to have good balance in your GMAT score between the verbal and quant components. The fact that you have majored in economics and have worked in finance but come from a liberal arts college speaks to the fact that you would be a well-balanced candidate. We see many candidates who have super heavy focus on either the quant side or the "poet" side of the universe. It is positive that you have grown up in a variety of countries and can speak more than one language - in our experience this kind of factor can help on the margin.

Regarding your future career goals, please keep in mind that Wall Street is typically written out as two words. And, for someone who works in finance today, the ad coms will expect to know more about your specific career goals than just that you want to work in a large finance company. For example, do you want to work in investment banking (and specifically what industries?) Given your background, are you interested in private wealth management? Are you interested in corporate finance? These types of details are things that the ad coms pay attention to when reading essays to know if an applicant (given his/her background) has done enough research about their post-MBA plans.

My initial thought on whether or not you should consider taking the GMAT again is dependent on two primary factors. First, since you have already (significantly) improved your score from Test #1 to Test #2, you need to ask yourself how much effort would it be to get a higher score. It is extremely common for applicants to score 20-30 points lower in the actual test than they do on the practice tests, so unless you were consistently getting (or feel that you can get) a 740 or 750 on practice tests, it may not be worth your effort. Perhaps the more important of the two factors, though, is clarifying for the ad coms just how large and competitive to get hired into your current firm is. You mention that it is a "local investment" firm with $30B under management. If the company consistently sends employees to top MBA programs (including ones you are interested in) each year and if you can validate (with data) how difficult it is to gain a job there, then your need to take the GMAT is much lower. I would also say that depending on where you are interested in attending an MBA program comes into play a bit here. If you attended a 'top 25 liberal arts' college, it might not be as well-known as, say, Williams College. But if, say, you are really interested in Tuck and your undergraduate institution was located in the Northeast, then in our experience that may help you on the margin, as Tuck would be a bit more familiar with that program.

Regarding other items on your resume:
- It's important to document if you were promoted in between your time as an accountant vs. what you do now on your resume
- Your undergraduate activities look to be more participation-based vs. leadership-based. This might not actually be the case but at least in terms of how you presented them, that's the way it comes across. In our experience, it is always best to "lead" with your activities with those areas in which you have held a senior position and in which you can speak to concrete accomplishments. This is especially important to do for applicants who are not yet managing colleagues in a professional setting

Best of luck,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hello Sir,

I would like you to please evaluate and provide feedback on my profile.

Name - Parvez
Gender - Male
Nationality - Indian

Qualification - Bachelor of Engineering (Information Technology) (July 2005) - passed with distinction

GMAT score - 710 (v41, q45) AWA score : 5 (first attempt)
TOEFL - Yet to write

Work Experience - 7 years.

Current Employer - Cisco Systems (2009- current)
Software Development in new network node in next generation(3G/4G and LTE) telecom network. As a senior engineer in the team day-today work include design, development, training or mentoring juniors, newcomers and freshers, interviewing and screening prospective candidates, participating in road map meetings, technical presentation and training to different teams (like QA, customer support, documentation, technical support, customer site engineers), supporting customer escalations, developing deployment strategy, reviewing work of other engineers etc.

Past employers - Symantec Corp (2007-2009) and Sybase(2005-2007)

Awards and Recognition -
Ranked first in school in secondary school certificate (10th grade)
Various certificates of appreciation in drawing and paintings.
Sybase STAR award trophy
Cisco STAR award

Post-MBA I would like to stick to Software or Technology companies, accordingly I would like to opt for MBA programs and colleges. I am looking for 1 year MBA programs.

ps25,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 710, our experience indicates you would be a competitive candidate at LBS, between competitive and strong (closer to competitive) at Cornell (which has a one year program) and Said, and strong at ESADE, IE, and IESE. I did not include any other US-based programs, since you were interested in one-year MBA programs; the only other US-based program with such a program is Kellogg (where we would project you to be closer to stretch).

Please note that, although you have 7 years of work experience, it is important for all Indian candidates to provide as much context for their undergraduate experience as possible - your cohort is extremely competitive. The actual school you attended and its relative prestige counts, as does making sure the ad coms know what proportion of students received a distinction mark.

In terms of your work experience, I would be sure to make super clear whether or not you were officially responsible for managing other colleagues (and if so, how many). Your description of your responsibilities makes it sound as though you do manage people.

Keep in mind that any awards you list on your resume or profile, in our experience, probably should be focused mostly on those that are most recent and those that are professional-related. It can be ok to describe awards from high school, but these should "round out" some of your accomplishments. Additionally, in a large organization like Cisco, it will be helpful for the ad coms to know how competitive these awards that you received are - so mentioning things like you were chosen out of XXX number of employees will be helpful.

Your future career goals are an extension of your prior work history, which is good, but just make sure to elaborate further on the type of role (i.e. what function) you are looking to work in (finance, marketing, general management).

Best of luck,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hello Aringo,

I want to pursue a 1-year Full time MBA. The goal is to climb the corporate ladder. Iam interested in IMD, INSEAD and the 1 year program at Kellogg. Please evaluate my profile. Thanks for your help.

GMAT: 650 Q48, V32
Female, 35 Years old
Citizenship: India, Living in US since 2003
Educational Background: Bachelors in Electronics and Communication, India
Masters in Electrical and Computer Engineering, US
(Recipient of full scholarship for the 2 year Master of Science program.)

Work Experience: 12 Years in Semiconductor and Automotive Industry.
Job Profiles: Software Engineer, Supplier and Sub-contract Manager, Project Manager, Program Manager.

Work Experience Details:
2000-2003
-- Worked as a software and design engineer in leading Semiconductor Company.
2003-2005
-- Worked as a graduate research assistant while pursuing my Masters.
2005 -2011
-- After my graduation I started working with a leading Tier-1 Automotive supplier. In the six years with the company I progressed from a lead Engineer to Supplier and Sub-Contract Manager to Project Manager.
2011- Current
-- Working as a Program Manager for a leading American Car Manufacturer.

-- International experience:
- Two expat assignments to Germany and India.
- Travelled extensively on work to Europe and Asia.
- Worked very closely with internal teams and suppliers based out of China, Mexico, India, Poland, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Korea and Japan.

-- Extra Curricular:
- Mentor at the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
- Volunteer at Akshara, a Literacy mission.
- Volunteer at the Indy 500 Marathon.
- Tutoring underprivileged kids.
- Volunteer at Gleaners Food bank and Soup kitchen.

Yogagirl2012,

Thank you for your profile submission.

Let me start by saying I completely understand the professional experiences you have had and your academic background. I have a BS and MS in mechanical engineering and worked as a product engineer at an auto manufacturer (with internships at various auto suppliers) prior to business school. I have worked extensively with colleagues in the roles you have had previously (project and program manager, supplier manager).

Having said that, it is my strong opinion (aligned as well with Aringo's prior experience) that you should consider applying to either part-time or executive MBA programs. With 12 years of work experience, for context, you would have been the oldest student in my 600+ student full-time class at Kellogg. The one year program at Kellogg might actually index slightly lower in age vs. the two year program, since it has a higher proportion of consultants than the two year program does.

If you are truly set on applying to full-time programs, I would encourage you to look at schools outside the top 20 in the US or top 30 globally, as we would project you to be a stretch candidate at the three schools you mention. If you do apply to full-time programs, I would recommend that you:
- Provide more context on your undergraduate institution and grades
- Provide more context on how competitive your master's program was (to shed light on your scholarship) and your grades there. Usually grades matter less for someone with a lot of work experience, but with a 650 GMAT (and considering you are in the ultra-competitive Indian engineer cohort) you will need to offset this somewhat.

Additionally, given your extensive work experience, for any MBA program that you apply to, you will need to elaborate further on what you want out of the MBA. To "move up the corporate ladder" is definitely a common theme that many applicants have, but the ad coms will want to hear about what function and responsibility you specifically are looking for. If you are looking to remain in the same industry, this is another reason to consider the part-time or executive MBA track.

Assuming that you live and work in the state of Michigan, I would encourage you to consider the Michigan State Broad part-time program, perhaps the Ross part-time program, and potentially other MBA programs locally. The advantage you have here is that many of your colleagues will have graduated from such programs and you can rely on them for support - having worked myself at these types of firms I know this to be true.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Brian,
Your evaluation was really helpful! Thanks a lot!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 15
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hi sir,

I would appreciate your input on my profile :), my profile is as follows:

GMAT: 660 (Q47 V34)
Education: American University of Kuwait - Bachelor of business administration - Accounting
GPA: 3.18
Nationality: Kuwaiti

Work Experience: 4 years at matriculation (hopefully applying for Fall 2013), at E&Y as a Senior auditor. Involved in auditing banks and many companies in different sectors.

Int'l Experience: would be having a 3 month program working at an EY office in Europe (Either London or Paris).

Assuming I submit excellent essays and recommendations.

Planning to work after MBA in investment banking.

I have a scholarship program from my government, as soon as I get admitted in any of the listed schools below, the scholarship includes 100% paid tuition and cost of living.

List is:

1. Stanford
2. London Business school
3. Chicago booth
4. Wharton
5. MIT
6. Duke Fuqua
7. Dartmouth
8. Berkeley Haas
9. NYU Stern
10. Columbia
11. Northwestern Kellog
12. IMD
13. Insead
14. iese

Prefer Schools in states. Thanks in advance for your valuable time.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  75