Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8796 [220]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4323 [61]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [55]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [17]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having hundreds of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a close look at this question, one problem at a time, to come up with the right answer quickly! Before we dive in, here is the original question with the major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain why scientists have assumed that it evolved independently of the vertebrate eye.

(A) having hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain why scientists have assumed that it
(B) having hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that they
(C) with its hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain scientists' assuming that they
(D) with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain scientists' assuming that it
(E) with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that it

Right away, 3 major differences jump out between each option:

1. having hundreds / with its hundreds
2. help / helps
3. it / they

#2 and #3 on the list are both easy concepts to deal with, so let's start there before getting to #1 on the list, which is a little more complicated.

#2 on our list deals with subject/verb agreement. We know that the subject is the singular word "structure." Let's rule out any options that use the plural verb "help," which doesn't agree in number with our singular subject!

(A) having hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain why scientists have assumed that it
(B) having hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that they
(C) with its hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain scientists' assuming that they
(D) with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain scientists' assuming that it
(E) with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that it

There you go - right away, we can eliminate options A & D because they don't follow proper subject/verb agreement!

Now, let's tackle #3 on our list: it/they. This is an issue of pronoun/antecedent agreement! The pronouns are referring back again to our subject: structure. Let's rule out any options that use the plural pronoun "they" because it doesn't agree in number with our singular antecedent:

This leaves us with only one option left - option E, which is the correct answer! It uses proper subject/verb agreement and pronoun/antecedent agreement throughout!

(If you're wondering why we skipped over #1 on our list, it's because both constructions are actually okay to use. Instead of wasting time fretting over something that looks confusing, start with the easy differences first, such as subject/verb agreement or pronoun/antecedent agreement. Most of the time, those will rule out enough options for you to choose the correct overall answer. If not, then you can take more time to deal with the more complicated stuff.)

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having hundreds of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
macjas wrote:
The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain why scientists have assumed that it evolved independently of the vertebrate eye.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Pronouns + Awkwardness/Redundancy

A: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "eye" with the plural verb phrase "help explain".

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "eye" with the plural pronoun "they". Additionally, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrase "that are called ommatidia", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "eye" with the plural pronoun "they". Additionally, Option C uses the needlessly wordy phrase "that are called ommatidia" and the passive voice construction "scientists' assuming", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "eye" with the plural verb phrase "help explain". Additionally, Option D uses the passive voice construction "scientists' assuming", rendering it awkward and needlessly indirect.

E: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the singular noun "eye" with the singular verb phrase "helps explain" and the singular pronoun "it". Additionally, Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1174 [16]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A having hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain why scientists have assumed that it (SV error)
B having hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that they (Pronoun error)
C with its hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain scientists' assuming that they(Pronoun error)
D with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain scientists' assuming that it (SV error)
E with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that it (Correct Answer)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi......
i have a doubt regarding antecedents for pronoun,.....
In OG13,#81,
"Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of the greater antiles islands. "

OG explanation for this sentence being wrong- "sloth is the object of a preposition and not the subject of the sentence, there is no reasonable antecedent for the pronoun it ".

but in OG13,#7,
"The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that it evolved independently of the vertebrae eye."
above is the correct sentence as per OG....
here, compound insect eye is the object of the preposition... so in the modifier "with its...." , its cannot refer to compound insect eye.... but OG says its refers to the compound insect eye..........
contradicting explanations in two different sentences... help pls...
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [6]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
First split : The intricate structure......... HELP/HELPS explain........

The intricate structure ( singular )..... must be paired with Helps ( singular verb )

A,D disappears, Left with B, C, E

2nd Split : Scientists assumed that....... THEY / IT........

The pronoun refers back to the EYE ( Singular )........ So the Pronoun should be IT ( SINGULAR ) and not THEY.

Thus B n C get back to their cocoon.

Leading to E, my take
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Hi stotite,

The difference here lies in the meaning. You're basically asking why the descriptive phrase seems to be describing the second noun or object of the sentence--but in one case, it's used correctly and in the other case it's used incorrectly.

Here are the two examples:

(1) "Fossils of the..sloth, made it the earliest known mammal..."

(2) "The intricate structure of the compound insect eye..."

The sentences seemingly have the same structure. Why, then is (1) no good and (2) is good?

The difference is in the meaning.

In (1) when we say "fossils of the sloth" - we are bringing up two very different things. One is the actual sloth. The other is a fossil - something that was DERIVED from the original sloth.

In (2) when we say "intricate structure of the eye" - INTRICATE STRUCTURE is merely a DESCRIPTION of the eye. We're still talking about the eye, but more specifically we are referencing the intricate structure of the eye. You're still talking about the eye in general in both cases.

This contrasts with the situation in (1) where you are potentially referencing two different things - one is the fossil of the sloth and the other is the sloth itself. So when you use the word IT - the reader won't know which one you are referring to.

But in (2) when you use IT - you are clearly referencing the "intricate structure of the eye" as a whole mainly because the phrase is not composed of 2 different elements. Rather, the intricate structure is a characteristic of the eye. Whereas the "fossil" is not really a characteristic of the "sloth."

For more information on these subtleties and other SC frameworks, please reference the SC Pill Core Framework #3.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4467 [3]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
Hii supri.
Though I am not an expert, I will still try my best.
(A)having hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia,help explain why scientists have assumed that it Note that "haiving hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia" is modifying the entire preceding clause "The intricate structure of the compound insect eye". Logically the "structure" is not having hundreds of eyes but "compound insect eye" has. Also, on removing this modifier, the sentence becomes The intricate structure of the compound insect eye HELP explain why scientists have assumed that it evolved independently of the vertebrate eye.
The HELP does'nt agree with the subject of the previous clause "the intricate structure" and hence incorrect. It should be HELPS.
(B)having hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia,helps explain why scientists have assumed that they "They" hasn't got any logical referent here. Use of "that are called" seems pretty wordier. It can be easily written as "...called".
(C)with its hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia,helps explain scientists` assuming that they
"scientists' assuming" is a noun and cannot come after "explain" in this context. Since you are also a noun, try putting your name after explain. ex-"...helps explain supri". Its illogical. "that are called" is still wordier. No logical referent for "they".
(D)with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia,help explain scientists` assuming that it
Same as C.
(E)with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia,helps explain why scientists have assumed that it CORRECT..

+1E.
Hope that helps.
-s
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
I figured out the errors with each answer choice much similar to the ways listed above. I was looking at one point in OG answer explanation that "using 'assuming' with possesive 'scientists'' form" is incorrect. Say, if i change answer (C) as below, will it be correct.

(C) with its hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain scientists' ASSUMPTION that IT
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [6]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
mamathak wrote:
I figured out the errors with each answer choice much similar to the ways listed above. I was looking at one point in OG answer explanation that "using 'assuming' with possesive 'scientists'' form" is incorrect. Say, if i change answer (C) as below, will it be correct.

(C) with its hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain scientists' ASSUMPTION that IT

Hi mamthak

Even you change assuming to assumption, the sentence is still wrong because:

- Structure: "assumption that + clause" is not as good as "assume that + clause"
(1) Scientists have the assumption that whale evolved from elephant
(2) Scientists assume that whale evolved from elephant
Which one is better. Definitely, GMAT likes the latter, it's more concise and has clear meaning.
Remember the order V-A-N (verb-adjective-noun). If you can use verb, use verb, do not use noun form.

- Idiom: assumption that ==> incorrect. Correct idiom is "assumption of/about"

Hope it' clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Could somebody please clarify me how "with" is different from "having" here.

How is it that "having" is modifying "structure", while "with" is modifying "compound insect eye". Kindly help me understand the usage of with here.

Thanks a lot GmatClub.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Could you help me on how "with" modifies the "eye" and not the "structure"?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4323 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
gmatter0913 wrote:
Could you help me on how "with" modifies the "eye" and not the "structure"?

WITH ...will modify eye.....according to context of the sentence)

it cannot modify intricate structure as that will be illogical....to say intricate structure have hundreds of miniature eyes.

The intricate structure of the compound insect eye,withits hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that it evolved independently of the vertebrate eye

HOPE IT IS CLEAR.

Originally posted by blueseas on 18 Jul 2013, 11:03.
Last edited by blueseas on 18 Jul 2013, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
I thought I understood the usage of "with" until I saw this official sentence.

I believe that if I am changing the rules of using a concept every time so as to match the correct answer, then I am sure that I didn't understand the concept well. I believe that is exactly what is happening in this case in understanding the usage of "with" on the GMAT.

In our previous conversation, we thought "with" modifies the preceding noun or the clause. But, it looks like we're missing something here. Below is an official sentence from the GMAT Prep.

Sentence: (This is the correct option in the question. But, the stress here is to understand how is it correct?)

Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging like socks on a clothesline.

The official explanation says "with" is modifying "monkeys" correctly and it is not modifying "branches".

I don't understand why is it so? According to our understanding, "with" should modify the preceding noun "branches".

I understand that branches cannot have arms and legs and hence it modifies monkeys. I think this explanation doesn't solve the problem. Because, there has to be a better explanation to this usage. Else, we're saying that "with" is always correct on the GMAT as it can be associated to modify anything as desired by the context of the sentence.

I believe we need to understand this better.

I request the experts on this forum to please help us on this.

Thanks a lot!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [2]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: LBS
GPA: 3.82
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos