Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: how important are rankings? [#permalink]
cheetarah1980 wrote:
sapphire07 wrote:
Yes, but many schools would like an applicant to have visited --if for nothing more than to tell that school what makes it unique and why the applicant feels he/she absolutely has to gain entry into the respective school's program.

Heart. Well, technically I haven't been through an application season since I only applied to one school. I guess coming from the perspective of having an offer and scholarship money waiting from the one school I've applied to, versus the year long agony of not knowing where exactly I'll end up, may give off the appearance of "not putting much value in any of it." I suppose I'll have to figure out what's most important and put forth 100%.

Thanks for your feedback.

You are right that there are some schools that strongly favor visiting. The two that come to mind are Tuck and Johnson. However, it's NOT for the reasons you're stating. Those two schools are unique in that not only are the programs very small they are also located in pretty remote areas. They want applicants to visit before applying so that THE APPLICANT understands what he/she is getting into for the next 2 years. I have seen people apply to these schools then not visit until the interview or even until after admission, and immediately say, "I can't spend two years here." To help the schools' yields and save you time and money it's best to know what the school is like beforehand.

Trust me, the majority of schools do NOT care if you visit. I didn't visit Kellogg before I applied. However, I was able to clearly state why I thought the program was unique and a good fit for me. The essays aren't long enough for you to gush for 150 words about your wonderful school visit. You can definitely cover the "Why this school?" question simply by attending an off campus info session, website research, and calling a current student and/or alum. The visit is not for them, it's for you.

Good to know - I'll consider all this. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
sapphire07 wrote:
Oh I see - well if I end up not taking the offer and going through the cycle this fall, I'm turning to you as a support buddy! I had also planned to apply earlier this year but was disappointed by my score.

No worries about the mix up- lots to keep up with on this site. Btw I am female ;)

Hahaha! If you're going to participate on this site get used to being called bro, dude, man, etc. No matter what the screen name there's a default assumption that you're male. Might want to put "BTW, I'm a female" in your siggy :lol:

Haha yeah that seems to be the case. Glad to find a fellow female (guessing by your name)!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
sapphire07 wrote:

There's certainly no wife, and no kid! Just me.

ha wow, sorry must have mixed up threads! lol

I'll be applying this fall, but my original plan was for this past cycle, but decided to wait. So, I've been researching schools and such for about 6 months already.

Oh I see - well if I end up not taking the offer and going through the cycle this fall, I'm turning to you as a support buddy! I had also planned to apply earlier this year but was disappointed by my score.

No worries about the mix up- lots to keep up with on this site. Btw I am female ;)

Ha sounds good! Always willing to help, as long as you'll be there when I'm freaking out trying to finish applications in time for deadlines, and stressing while waiting for decisions.
[/quote]

Most definitely "bro;" let's create a support group. This process feels overwhelming enough, coupled with hiking down a path of solitude towards uncertainty. Helps to know there are others who postponed applying this year and that it's not the end of the world.
Here's to the all-nighters and waiting game ahead!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
sapphire07 wrote:
imalawyer wrote:
I don't have anything to add to the talk about rankings, but, re: law school, I'd urge you to think very hard about why you actually want a JD. Sadly, this blog post https://www.itsuptoyou.net/why-you-shouldnt-go-to-law-school/ is very accurate.

You must have _solidly_ identified and well-thought-out goals before you commit to law school. Anything short of that is a guarantee of disappointment, I think.

Thank you for sharing! What's your law school/professional story and does this mean you don't enjoy being a lawyer?

The brief version is that I went to law school for the wrong reasons and without the right mindset. In retrospect most of my classmates were in the same boat. After the Bar I went into litigation, and was fortunate to be surrounded by some great people, but I realized before long that the profession wasn't for me in too many critical areas. It forced me to seriously think through some stuff that I somehow ignored before law school, which is why I say that you should be really honest with yourself when figuring out why it is that you think that you should go.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3