Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V50
GPA: 3.92
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools: Goizueta '14
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: Emory 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
topMBA12 wrote:
srjaidev wrote:
Hey! Emory made great progress in the US News rankings! - bit.ly/z7xXv0

It is definitely a great school and it is on the rise...In the south, the reputation of Emory is unmatched..It gets you access to some wonderful job opportunities and its location is a big asset..Great to see the school climbing up the ladder... Emory still has some work to do before it catches up as a "national" brand name...but its taking all the right steps IMO...Congrats to everyone who made it in and good luck to those who are waiting...

Emory is a top 20 national university with top 25 MBA, Law and Medicine. It is a small school with no athletics to attract attention, but has one of the largest endowments worldwide. To say it's not a "national brand name" is a slight to the quality of the university. You are correct in that the layperson doesn't instantly identify the Emory brand, but the people who matter, i.e. recruiters, are fully aware of its prestige.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
LSnyder876 wrote:
snipes wrote:
does anyone have a detailed employment/internship report? i looked on goizueta's website but the one thing i found was kind of vague. specifically, i am interested in MC recruiting numbers. starting to research schools again to reapply in the fall and really like what i have seen so far.

I actually talked to the "Consulting guy" in the Career Management Center as part of the application process (apparently the Adcom had a "career-related concern about my application"). The numbers aren't amazing. This is from memory, so take it with a grain of salt. He said they don't have as much trouble with career placement as they do internship placement. They place about 33% of the people who want it in consulting internships. A lot end up taking general management, marketing, or whatever internships. Not a lot to the big 3 for internships. I believe he said they had 2 go big 3 last year, one at Bain, one at McKinsey, and 1 go to BCG this year. Big employers for Goizueta are Deloitte, KSA, IBM, and some others (again this is from memory). Most firms recruit on campus, the only firm missing was Booz.

I wasn't crazy excited about the internship prospects. He rated them (with respect to consulting placement) as similar to South Carolina or some other Southern schools. He said Duke sent more, but there "you had more competition." The numbers were better when it came to career placement, but I don't remember anything specific.

If there are some current students around, feel free to correct me. Like I said, this was from memory, and as this meeting was requested by admissions, I was kinda nervous, so I may have some of the details wrong.

By the way, good luck to any other R4 applicants. Should know something soon!

I know you said this is for memory, but this is a bit of a misrepresentation. Since many prospective students may read this and become concerned, I will address the more errant parts of it. Emory certainly isn't a H/S/W in terms of job placement, but no one is, that's why even if you don't like the H/S/W culture, if you are accepted, you go. Emory is #8 for job placement according to BW, with an avg starting salary >$100K and 95% of student accepting offers 3mths out. 100% of students have landed internships 8/9 years. Overall, a very strong career placement record.

In regards to consulting alone, Emory is a very strong program. Over 20 consulting firms recruit at Emory and fully 1/3 of the class landed consulting jobs for a median salary of $120K. Accenture and Deloitte hire heavily at Emory, but the MBB jobs are not impossible. Emory will get you in the door for MBB so if you fail to make it past the first cut, that's more a reflection of the individual than the institution. They are no more likely to hire a poor student from H/S/W than Emory, so getting the interview is all the university can do. The statement that many students begrudgingly end up in general management, false. General management constitutes roughly 5% of the Emory class. Emory is a big marketing program (Coke, Delta, HD), so if you failed to land a dream consulting internship, you're not exactly roughing it in the marketing or management division of these corporations.

As for the comparison to the unranked South Carolina... utterly asinine. If a career management center representative made this comment, it is extremely disappointing. This isn't to belittle USC, but rather to inject some reality into this situation. Only 6% of USC's class goes into consulting and none of the top hiring companies are consulting firms. Furthermore, the avg starting salary is $30K less than Emory.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Any candidates do we have, still waiting for waitlist pickup? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Has anyone gotten confirmation on the credential verification? I got an email from ReVera telling me it was complete and no further information was needed, but mums the word from Goizueta.The 2-4 week process has taken about nine weeks with no communication.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
EmoryNole wrote:
Has anyone gotten confirmation on the credential verification? I got an email from ReVera telling me it was complete and no further information was needed, but mums the word from Goizueta.The 2-4 week process has taken about nine weeks with no communication.

Nope, no news yet. But that said, I only submitted my form 4 weeks ago...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
anyone on the waitlist hear back anything?? Are there any chances of converting now?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
adimaniac wrote:
anyone on the waitlist hear back anything?? Are there any chances of converting now?

Can't help you with that. What is Ross' modus operandi? Perhaps it is similar.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Ross has a waitlist Google group in which people update their status. It becomes a lot easier that way.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived 'Calling All Emory Goizueta Applicants' Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an old 'Calling All Emory Goizueta Applicants' discussion which is now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for the latest discussion? Check out this up-to-date Calling All Emory Goizueta Applicants Discussion for the most recent conversations on this topic.
Interested in more from this school? Visit our dedicated Emory Goizueta Forum to dive into all things related to Emory Goizueta's MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts