Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE:General Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]
whitie8lax wrote:
Are any statistics published on the different entering classes (Aug vs Jan entry)? I'm particularly interested in class profile and employment.

When will the Jan entry application be available?

Thanks!

Thank you for your question. We do not have a breakout for employment between August and January. Previous employment is combined for both classes and shown here https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admiss ... assprofile. The application for January should be available in late May.

We look forward to seeing your application!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi! I applied 1/4, and was notified 3/29 that my interview report was received. I understand that you admit applicants on a rolling basis, but I was wondering if you could give me a general idea of when my decision will be released. Also, are you still awarding merit scholarships at this point? Thank you for your time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi,

I got rejected from columbia post and interview call. I have a 680 on my gmat, i really dont have a clue as to why i got rejected as my interview also went really good. I am very keen to re apply to columbia, but i dont want to retake my gmat as i have already taken it twice and i dnt want to take a risk by taking it the third time because in case it is below 680, it really is a big negative on my application.

I just want to get a feedback on the loose pieces of my application so that i can work on them, especially wether re taking the gmat is a big must.

Kindly advise.
Send PM
siddharth123 wrote:
Hi,

I got rejected from columbia post and interview call. I have a 680 on my gmat, i really dont have a clue as to why i got rejected as my interview also went really good. I am very keen to re apply to columbia, but i dont want to retake my gmat as i have already taken it twice and i dnt want to take a risk by taking it the third time because in case it is below 680, it really is a big negative on my application.

I just want to get a feedback on the loose pieces of my application so that i can work on them, especially wether re taking the gmat is a big must.

Kindly advise.

Hi siddharth123

Thank you for your question. We are not offering individual feedback on denied applications.We understand the enormous commitment of time and energy that applying to business school represents, but we simply do not have the resources to provide feedback to each denied applicant. Please visit our website at https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnmore/faqs#5 for a self assessment of your application. Please keep in mind the application is holistic there is never a single factor for admission or denial. The GMAT is just one aspect of the application.

If you decide to reapply you can learn more about the reapplication process here https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnm ... ow/reapply.

I hope this helps.
Send PM
evigirl wrote:
Hi! I applied 1/4, and was notified 3/29 that my interview report was received. I understand that you admit applicants on a rolling basis, but I was wondering if you could give me a general idea of when my decision will be released. Also, are you still awarding merit scholarships at this point? Thank you for your time.

Hi evigirl,

We do not have a specific timeline after the interview is complete. If your application has been under review beyond 12 weeks please contact our office. Please keep in mind that the timeline for a final decision can be extended because of interviews.

We are still awarding some merit based fellowships.

Best of luck,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.1
WE:Accounting (Other)
Send PM
Hi!

I will be applying to CBS for the January 2013 class and have a question about scholarships. I read on CBS's website that fellowships are available to the Fall applicants only; I'm wondering if there are other types of scholarships for January applicants. Does CBS give out full scholarships?

Thanks!
Send PM
KAS1 wrote:
Hi!

I will be applying to CBS for the January 2013 class and have a question about scholarships. I read on CBS's website that fellowships are available to the Fall applicants only; I'm wondering if there are other types of scholarships for January applicants. Does CBS give out full scholarships?

Thanks!

Hi KAS1,

Thank you for your question. There are some need based awards for our January applicants.

We do award full fellowships, but these are extremely competitive and awarded to a select few admitted students. These fellowships are awarded to students in our two-year program.

Best of luck,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Greetings ColumbiaMBA,

One of the primary reasons I am in pursuit of an MBA is to transition from IT to Marketing/Management (a classic "career-changer" move, if you will). I also have a strong GMAT verbal score but my GMAT quantitative score is not as strong.

Would the Admissions committee look favorably upon the decision to enroll in a quant-based marketing course at an accredited institution to a) assuage fears regarding the ability to handle grad-level quantitative work, and b) to demonstrate my interest towards marketing? Do you recommend that this summer class approach is looked upon more favorably than re-taking the GMAT to try and earn a slightly higher score?

Thanks
Send PM
OjilEye wrote:
Greetings ColumbiaMBA,

One of the primary reasons I am in pursuit of an MBA is to transition from IT to Marketing/Management (a classic "career-changer" move, if you will). I also have a strong GMAT verbal score but my GMAT quantitative score is not as strong.

Would the Admissions committee look favorably upon the decision to enroll in a quant-based marketing course at an accredited institution to a) assuage fears regarding the ability to handle grad-level quantitative work, and b) to demonstrate my interest towards marketing? Do you recommend that this summer class approach is looked upon more favorably than re-taking the GMAT to try and earn a slightly higher score?

Thanks

Hi OjilEye,

Thank you for your question. We will take into consideration additional courses if you submit these as part of your application. Taking additional courses certainly isn't a requirement, but some applicants find these courses helpful. As far as retaking the GMAT vs. taking a course - the application process is holistic so there isn't a right or wrong approach. Keep in mind that we only consider your highest score for the GMAT, so if you decide to retake and do not score higher we will still consider your highest score.

Best of luck.

Regards,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Hey :)

I would like to ask what does Columbia think about students who took overload in order to graduate early, like 1 semester earlier for purely financial reasons ? I am really considering this, I will save 1 semester of tuition and I will also be able to enter workforce and gain experience earlier. However, I would not like this to impact me negatively in the long term. So, does it make any difference ?
Send PM
Ivan91 wrote:
Hey :)

I would like to ask what does Columbia think about students who took overload in order to graduate early, like 1 semester earlier for purely financial reasons ? I am really considering this, I will save 1 semester of tuition and I will also be able to enter workforce and gain experience earlier. However, I would not like this to impact me negatively in the long term. So, does it make any difference ?

Hi Ivan91,

Thank you for your question. Graduating early will not negatively impact your application. As long as you have completed your bachelor's degree you are welcome to apply.

Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Hi,

I applied this past January but was unfortunately not accepted. I plan to reapply early decision this year because Columbia is my top choice. I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering them:

Do you have any advice on what Columbia looks for in reapplicants that might be different from that of other programs, or any areas of the reapplicant application where Columbia may weight as more important than others?

The website mentions that reapplicants need to submit one new letter of recommendation. Can this be from someone who wrote one of the letters of recommendation the previous year?

Can an applicant submit new versions of the standard application essays if they feel they will be better than the originals?

Additionally, and unrelated to being a reapplicant, could you provide an estimate as to when you expect the 2013 application and essay questions to be available?

Thanks
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM