Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64917 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 895 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Re: Please review my plan [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
olwan wrote:
Hello. I posted this on gmat general forum and I did not receive a reply. I am sorry for cross referencing but it is very urgent, and I need help. Thank you

Hi

First of all, I am not asking for much. I just want to score more than 550 on the official test, I have tested myself twice, on the mgmat with 320 , and 250 on gmatprep, both before touching the tested material.I was very anxious and I am sure I can do better now that I have reviewed most of the mgmat guides.

Okay, I need your help. I will finish all the mgmat guides by tomorrow, and I just completed my plan that I would like to do before the actual exam. Please feel free to correct my plan, and further guide me to best prepare for the exam. I have no idea how to feel when I do the real gmatprep, I am very curious that if I messed up by having a low score on the official practise tests I would screw up and lose my confidence on the real exam. Please let me know how to solve this issue as well.

The guides I am using are 3rd edition manhattan GMAT
May 15th Finish the SC Book, 2 chapters left

May 16th Finish the RC book

May 17th Princton Review Test (I have access to 2 tests from Princeton), OFF from Work

May 18th Review Review Number Properties, and do the book exercises, Working

May 19th Review Finish the exercises, and SC.(weekend)

May 20th Review Sentence correction, memorize notes that I took, take a look at the gmat club flashcards, do OG 12 SC questions (weekend)

May 21st Learn by heart all the math flashcards, notes I took, formulas, figures and tables Working

May 22nd Review do the same, and start with the OG math questions, by category OFF from Work

May 23rd Review math from OG, I am not sure how many questions I can finish a day, is 100 a good possible number ?

May 24th Do cat 1, is it a good idea? I dont want to mess up and destroy my confidence (timed)

May 25th Do princeton second test

May 26th Review notes for writing

May 27 Do CAT 2

May 28 Revise all marked questions from the OG, take a look at flashcards from all categories

May 29 Enjoy the day, visit the test center, and try to sleep good. My exam is at 8 am, which is the time I never find myself awake, and ready for the event, any ideas how to tackle this problem?

May 30 Take the score, and apply on the deadline, hopefully.

Hello!

I do have a few additional recommendations for you.

• Do a careful analysis of any practice tests you have already taken at this point. You need to clearly identify particular weaknesses and focus primarily on those.

• Don't overdo it with practice tests. My take on practice tests is that they are primarily tools for assessing how well your other preparation has gone. Taking practice tests doesn't necessarily make you better at doing the problems, beyond gaining a little extra exposure to them.

• 100 OG problems per day is way too many! Focus on doing fewer OG problems and working on a deep understanding of those problems. I recommend sets of 5 OG problems at a time. Set a clock for the appropriate amount of time (e.g., 10 minutes if you're doing Quant problems), force yourself to get through those problems before the timer is up, but then carefully review all of the problems in the set – even the ones you got right! This review process might take 15, 20, or even 30 minutes!

• Remember that this is a computer-adaptive test. By design, it will eventually give you a problem that you can't do! And this is true whether you're scoring at the 300-level or the 700-level. It's important to know when to let go and move on – otherwise you'll end up with a much lower score than you deserve.

• To score a 550, you need to master the easy problems and have a solid understanding of the mid-level problems. But you don't need to get any of the most difficult problems correct! Focus your work in the OG's on the the first half of each section (they are numbered by difficulty). If you can get to a point where you feel confident with these, you're in a good place!

Best of luck!

Mark
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I took the princeton free test and I scored 370, 25 quant 15 verbal. I am now thinking weather to reschedule, which will postpone my admission till next year, or just go for the test in 13 days in hopes to get a 550. I really need some guidance.

I thought that I am way better in verbal than in quant, in fact, I thought my only hopes getting a 550 was doing good in verbal.

How can I know when I should move on in a test, I am very weak in work problems for instance, should I just move on if i see a problem I know 100% that I won't be able to answer?

I know it is very hard to raise your score 150+ in 13 days. But I am sure that raising your score in the lower percentile is def. easier than raising it when you aim for 650+ score. Most of the people here aim for 700+ level. I just see no place for average not very smart people like me.

thanks anyway
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 895 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Expert Reply
olwan wrote:
I took the princeton free test and I scored 370, 25 quant 15 verbal. I am now thinking weather to reschedule, which will postpone my admission till next year, or just go for the test in 13 days in hopes to get a 550. I really need some guidance.

I thought that I am way better in verbal than in quant, in fact, I thought my only hopes getting a 550 was doing good in verbal.

How can I know when I should move on in a test, I am very weak in work problems for instance, should I just move on if i see a problem I know 100% that I won't be able to answer?

I know it is very hard to raise your score 150+ in 13 days. But I am sure that raising your score in the lower percentile is def. easier than raising it when you aim for 650+ score. Most of the people here aim for 700+ level. I just see no place for average not very smart people like me.

thanks anyway

Hi again,

First and foremost, you can't be so down on yourself! This test really does reward those who put in serious work. While 150+ in less than two weeks may be a tall order, a positive attitude toward achieving your goal can go a long way.

Let me address your question about deciding when to "move on" – it's an important question!

I'd recommend giving every problem you see an honest attempt, at least for 30 seconds to a minute. You can often eliminate some wrong answer choices even on the most difficult problems just by understanding a few basics about the question.

Here's what I tell my students to think during the first minute or so of each problem:

First 30 seconds. Focus on what the problem is telling you (what are the givens?) and what the question is asking you (what's the real question?). Don't jump straight to computations during this time. Focus on understanding.
30 seconds - 1 minute. Start forumlating a gameplan. How do you move from those givens to that answer? Have you seen a similar problem? Do you know a good strategy for tackling this problem type? Is there anything unique to this problem?
1 minute mark. This is the point of no return! If you've got a strategy in place, get going with it. If you still are unsure how to approach the problem, it's "bail time". Eliminate any answers that are clearly wrong or look like traps, guess, move on and forget about it!

This thought process will help you both focus on individual problems and keep up your pacing. Knowing when to let go can make a huge difference in your score. This test isn't about getting every problem correct (virtually no one does). Rather, it's about keeping the highest level of accuracy you can while still getting to the finish line on time.

Best of luck!
Mark
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks mark. great advice.
GMAT Club Bot