Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Tepper vs Johnson [#permalink]
Tepper is a stronger brand IMO, but not by much.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Is there scholarship money on the table? That would tip the scales for me in this case. Overall I think Johnson is the more highly regarded program, but not by leaps and bounds. If I remember correctly when I was researching Johnson I thought I saw an operations concentration. I really don't know much about Tepper, but I know it's a really good program. I think Johnson offers a bit more cache longterm and may have a broader network especially at higher levels of an org (this is just a guess). Where do you feel a better fit? If it's equal between the schools, then I'd likely go to Johnson. I might could be biased though since I am a CU alum. GO BIG RED!!

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Send PM
I agree with the sentiments that Johnson is more highly regarded for business in general, however, I think it's important to stress the goal of operations management.

Operations, especially in oil & gas, has a strong pairing affinity with engineering and information systems. Carnegie Mellon is one of the top engineering and computer science universities in the world, and Tepper is one of the top operations schools in the country often sharing the best reputation with MIT Sloan. A lot of operations is pure analytics, and if you know much about corporate analytics, then you know it lives or dies by the strength and quality of information systems. Tepper is one of the rare schools in the country that has an extremely strong information systems concentration available as part of its MBA program.

The biggest operations case competition in the country is hosted at Tepper. Tepper is one of just five North American schools that participates in AT Kearney's Global Prize Competition (3 of the 5 are M7), and there's also a consulting course that works on a real project with AT Kearney.

This is one of those scenarios in which career fit truly trumps an edge card in overall brand.
VP
VP
Send PM
method wrote:
I agree with the sentiments that Johnson is more highly regarded for business in general, however, I think it's important to stress the goal of operations management.

Operations, especially in oil & gas, has a strong pairing affinity with engineering and information systems. Carnegie Mellon is one of the top engineering and computer science universities in the world, and Tepper is one of the top operations schools in the country often sharing the best reputation with MIT Sloan. A lot of operations is pure analytics, and if you know much about corporate analytics, then you know it lives or dies by the strength and quality of information systems. Tepper is one of the rare schools in the country that has an extremely strong information systems concentration available as part of its MBA program.

The biggest operations case competition in the country is hosted at Tepper. Tepper is one of just five North American schools that participates in AT Kearney's Global Prize Competition (3 of the 5 are M7), and there's also a consulting course that works on a real project with AT Kearney.

This is one of those scenarios in which career fit truly trumps an edge card in overall brand.

I agree that Tepper is probably the better school for immediate career fit. However, do you think that Johnson might be the better school in the long term? Is this a choice between the school that will prepare you for your post MBA job vs. the school that will prepare you to lead a division or organization 10 years from now? I am not too familiar with Tepper from a general management/leadership curriculum perspective. I know that Johnson has a really robust GM curriculum and is really big on leadership initiatives. Yo no se. I think it's a toss up.
Director
Director
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I agree that Tepper is probably the better school for immediate career fit. However, do you think that Johnson might be the better school in the long term?

I don't because I believe the foundation for long-term success is laid in the short-term. If I'm hiring for operations, and I take both a Johnson graduate and a Tepper graduate, and it turns out that the Tepper one possesses and displays superior operations management skills, then shouldn't I be more inclined to promote the Tepper graduate over the long-term?

If I was hiring for something highly technical like data-driven marketing, I'd want someone from Booth over HBS. Yes, HBS has the golden reputation, but the person from Booth, assuming they tailored their curriculum to it, would probably run circles around an HBS candidate in short-term job performance. Then when a promotion becomes available, guess who looks better?

The brand card is just not enough. It's not enough in the short-term or the long-term when dealing with specific, technical fields in my opinion.
VP
VP
Send PM
method wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I agree that Tepper is probably the better school for immediate career fit. However, do you think that Johnson might be the better school in the long term?

I don't because I believe the foundation for long-term success is laid in the short-term. If I'm hiring for operations, and I take both a Johnson graduate and a Tepper graduate, and it turns out that the Tepper one possesses and displays superior operations management skills, then shouldn't I be more inclined to promote the Tepper graduate over the long-term?

If I was hiring for something highly technical like data-driven marketing, I'd want someone from Booth over HBS. Yes, HBS has the golden reputation, but the person from Booth, assuming they tailored their curriculum to it, would probably run circles around an HBS candidate in short-term job performance. Then when a promotion becomes available, guess who looks better?

The brand card is just not enough. It's not enough in the short-term or the long-term when dealing with specific, technical fields in my opinion.

Oh I totally feel you, but I'm not sure that's always the way things work. I've seen people who are technical wizards get passed by the folks who are proficient yet exude "executive presence" and "leadership potential." Personally, I think those things while important are also kind of nebulous and can be developed over time. But catering to how things often go (not how they should) there's def a reason why those HBS grads have climbed many a ladder on case method alone.* I think this tends to rear its head the most when moving from middle to senior management or executive levels.

*Not saying I agree with it, but IJS
Director
Director
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Oh I totally feel you, but I'm not sure that's always the way things work. I've seen people who are technical wizards get passed by the folks who are proficient yet exude "executive presence" and "leadership potential." Personally, I think those things while important are also kind of nebulous and can be developed over time. But catering to how things often go (not how they should) there's def a reason why those HBS grads have climbed many a ladder on case method alone.* I think this tends to rear its head the most when moving from middle to senior management or executive levels.

*Not saying I agree with it, but IJS

Excellent points for consideration for sure. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thank you all for your replies.

I have an additional question: Do you feel that Cornell students have more of a managerial character than those at Carnegie Mellon ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
MBAEntrepreneurship wrote:
Thank you all for your replies.

I have an additional question: Do you feel that Cornell students have more of a managerial character than those at Carnegie Mellon ?

I don't know if I can answer your question, but as a future Johnson student, I do want to acknowledge that there is a specialized "Semester in Strategic Operations" immersion that ironically I plan on taking. In my opinion it is very robust, but what do I know.

I don't think you can go wrong with either school, but would obviously love to have another Ops guy at Johnson!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Are either programs strong in oil and gas recruiting? Are any Texas schools on the table for you as well?

IMO, if your long term goal is to start your company in oil and gas/construction, you probably don't need an MBA. You can get business through the oil and gas network. You can get the network either by working in the field, or if go to a school with strong oil & gas connections.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts