Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink]
I definitely looked around at all the big ones out there. Even got a few free consults.

Out of all of them, Essay Snark has been the absolute most helpful. This comes with a couple caveats. They're a little more casual in their commentary... and they can be absolutely BRUTAL. But I'd rather go through someone looking over my essays and saying "No, rewrite this" than having an essay company serve me some "oh, this is nice, here are a few suggestions to clean up your grammar". You have to be thick-skinned to go through with them, but they got me to Michigan and I couldn't be more excited about it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi all, planning to apply this year or next to a MBA school. Has anyone used anyone from mbaapplicants - John or Adam? Their website seems very impressive and informative but cannot find them much on other sources.

Thx,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tenisprox wrote:
I only worked with one company and so can only speak to them but I interfaced with a lot of people at SBC and every single interaction was extremely professional and positive. Now the results...I am going to Stanford. I also was admitted to 2 other top schools and received one scholarship. I was not admitted to Wharton. So I hope that this was helpful - it is my way of saying thank you to Stacy Blackman Consulting and Fiona and hopefully helping those of you who are at the beginning stages of this process.

I won't waste time writing a similar long winded review but I have to say my experience with Stacy Blackman Consulting was very similar to that of tenisprox. They run a really great service and are professionals all around. I can answer more specific questions if anyone wants to send a message. I am going to Columbia.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
I had a very positive experience working with Tyler last year and definitely wanted to share my perspective on his service. I had in fact been in the exact same situation as many of you now, trying to figure out the best person to help me through the MBA application process. The reviews on GC played a big role in my finding the right consultant, so I want to keep this helpful thread going. So here goes - (Full Disclosure: I've posted this testimonial in the actual reviews section also)

It's been a long time coming. This was my second application season, the first time I went on my own and it did not work out as I had expected (hoped actually). The second season, I signed up with Tyler Cormney from MBA Prep School and without a doubt, it was the best decision and investment in the MBA application process. I have no hesitation in saying that without Tyler’s help, I would not have made me into a top 10 MBA program with a scholarship to boot! Coming from one of the toughest applicant pools –Indian male with an engineering degree and technology experience, I knew it was going to be a tough application season. And as if that wasn’t enough, my age certainly wasn’t in my favor – I was already over 30 when I applied! I knew my margin for error was extremely small. And that is where Tyler’s help made all the difference in the world. I needed to put in a top-notch application where everything fell perfectly into place and Tyler ‘guided’ me in creating one. And this is what I want to stress on – Tyler wouldn’t do your work, he will be your guide. You will do the work, you will spend the long nights working on those essays, and at times you will get frustrated. But you know what? In the end, when you get that acceptance call, you will know that it is truly you who has got accepted, it is your hard work that has paid off. And that is one of the best feelings ever! Thank you so much Tyler for pushing me through this. For bringing out the best in me! Oh and there’s one more thing I’d like to add – Don’t be surprised if Tyler doesn’t try to sell himself too much in the initial consultation call! Frankly, that is what sold me to go to him. He is unlike many other consulting companies in this regard who will try to sell their services aggressively. With Tyler it works the opposite way. The real magic starts after you sign up not before!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
** FIRST POST ** LOW CREDIBILITY WARNING**

Hi all,

I decided to share my 2 cents on this topic. Feel free to PM me to check credibility or get more details.

I applied only to my first choice – Columbia – and got admitted in 1st round. I worked with Aringo on my application and was very happy with my consultant. She had extensive background in application writing and had a lot of experience with candidate with a background similar to mine (that's actually how they chose the right consultant for me).

She was able to walk me through this long and complex process, and made it very structured and clear. She worked with other clients at the time but always made me feel like a VIP client, with amazing responsiveness. She helped me take my essays to the next level and made me work hard to bring the best out of me. When the interview invitations arrived, her help in preparation was also great.

The only down side was the price, and the fact I had to pay by the hour, since they didn't offer comprehensive school packages at the time. Nevertheless, I was happy with the final result and would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for admission consultants.

Originally posted by pokerface9 on 28 May 2012, 01:32.
Last edited by theK on 08 Jun 2013, 11:59, edited 2 times in total.
Low credibility warning
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
** FIRST POST ** LOW CREDIBILITY WARNING **

It felt like the odds were against me for getting into business school, especially with an unconventional background, inconsistent career history, lower GMAT score, unemployment gap, questionable letters of recommendation, etc. Yet, Tyler @ Tyler Cormney Consulting was able to help me tell a cohesive story that really seemed to represent who I was and not some cookie-cutter applicant. This story not only gave me a clear direction for my essays but also thoroughly prepared me for my interviews and my resume. After meeting Tyler, my doubts of getting into b-school quickly faded.

Tyler's gift goes beyond story-telling. He’s an incredible coach.

•Tyler is committed to your success. I was up against very tight deadlines, throwing last minute curve balls at Tyler, yet he managed to squeeze in multiple revisions for my essays even when he was probably slammed with dozens of other essays. Even when you’re not in a meeting with him, you know Tyler is looking out for you. Knowing my MBA focus was social entrepreneurship, Tyler sent me a relevant HBR article to give me inspiration while I wrote my essays. And when I’d send emails with various b-school questions, Tyler would immediately reply with great advice. He truly does care.

•He’ll push you to the very end. When I got waitlisted at my dream school, Tyler stuck with me and walked me through the next steps. Even when I didn’t want to retake the GMAT, he highly encouraged me to go for it—and thank goodness because I scored 50 points higher. While going through the essay writing process, there were times when I would get sick of looking at my essays, but our conversations would refuel me with better ideas that kept me going. And that’s just what you’ll need during this demanding (yet incredibly rewarding) process. I got off the waitlist-- RESULT--> in at my DREAM SCHOOL!

•He’ll keep you accountable and on target each step of the way. We didn’t waste any time. Our conversations were very focused. At the end of each meeting, Tyler told me what to prepare for the next meeting so as to keep on track with all the things that I needed to get done in the short amount of time I had. It’s a miracle I got everything done on time, especially since I started late.

•His feedback is very thorough. Essay revisions went beyond grammar and spell-check. Tyler gave dozens of comments suggesting new ideas on how to improve a sentence/paragraph. I knew that Tyler was really reading my essays, not just proofing them.

•Last, but definitely not least, as a great coach, Tyler saw me for me. When I began looking for an admissions consultant, I had spoken to several of the larger consulting firms, and their reps told me that I would need to tweak my background because it did not “fit” in with the other applicants. After hearing my story and reading my profile, Tyler told me that I had a unique voice, and that I should keep it, not change it. That’s when I knew I had found the right person. He doesn’t need to “tweak” or create some fake persona for your application because he really hears you.

I can’t say enough good things about MBA Prep School. This series is incredibly organized and well thought-out. If you don’t have the resources to spend on getting individualized time with Tyler, I would say that this is the next best thing. Trust me, I read quite a few b-school application books, but none compare to the thoroughness and thoughtfulness of what is required to get a stellar application together. Most importantly, MBA Prep School will help you find your own answers to WHY an MBA and carefully map your career aspirations. I thought I had these down before I started the MBA Prep School videos and exercises, but after watching the videos and doing some of the exercises, my answers grew clearer.

Result: Accepted to my DREAM school and 2 others. Couldn’t be happier!

T- I don’t know how I would have done it without you. Thank you.

Originally posted by mbafishing on 03 Jun 2012, 10:21.
Low credibility warning
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
mbafishing wrote:
It felt like the odds were against me for getting into business school, especially with an unconventional background, inconsistent career history, lower GMAT score, unemployment gap, questionable letters of recommendation, etc. Yet, Tyler @ Tyler Cormney Consulting was able to help me tell a cohesive story that really seemed to represent who I was and not some cookie-cutter applicant. This story not only gave me a clear direction for my essays but also thoroughly prepared me for my interviews and my resume. After meeting Tyler, my doubts of getting into b-school quickly faded.

Tyler's gift goes beyond story-telling. He’s an incredible coach.

If you can, please post your review here where it is much easier to locate it: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
** FIRST POST ** LOW CREDIBILITY WARNING **

Receiving an acceptance letter from a top-tier business school is especially challenging given the hyper-competitive applicant pool. When I decided to apply to MBA programs, I wasn’t exactly sure where to start. After searching for help on my MBA applications, I was referred to Tyler Cormney by a friend who was a student at a top 5 business school and former client of Tyler’s. I am very glad that I chose to enlist Tyler’s help, and I am confident that I would not have received an acceptance letter from a top 5 MBA program without his guidance.
When I began working with Tyler, I wanted to dive right into applying to as many as schools as possible. Fortunately, Tyler helped me consider my list of prospective applications more prudently. He made certain that he and I both understood exactly what qualities I was searching for in an MBA education and helped me focus my application efforts on an optimal list of target schools. His in-depth knowledge of the admissions process at the top business schools and his years of experience advising MBA applicants allowed him to steer me towards the schools where I had the highest probability of being accepted.
Having recently completed the MBA application process, I know that a successful application is dependent on a candidate’s ability to present a compelling portfolio of educational highlights, career aspirations, and personal attributes. Through several weeks of introspective self-assessment exercises and focused discussions with Tyler, I was able to truly understand my strengths and weaknesses as an MBA applicant and fully grasp how my career history contributed to my post-MBA goals. After we had discovered the core elements of my own story, Tyler helped me to present myself as an exceptional MBA candidate throughout my essays and tailor my applications to each individual school. With an intimate knowledge of the MBA admissions process and a solid understanding of my potential contribution to business schools, he advised me to emphasize certain aspects of my candidacy that he knew would be appreciated by admissions committees. It was during this step of the process that his experience truly shined through. Although I may have possessed a strong academic and professional background, I know I lacked the self-awareness necessary to present an application capable of earning me a seat at a top 5 business school. With the help of Tyler’s advice and perspective, I was able to confidently apply to top MBA programs.
I would highly recommend Tyler to any of my friends who are about to undertake the MBA application process. He served as a valuable resource throughout several months of application preparation, and without his help, I would not have obtained a seat in a top 5 MBA program. Look up his website online and reach out to him for an intro discussion.
--Top 5 MBA School, Class of 2014

Originally posted by gdarland on 05 Jun 2012, 18:28.
Low credibility warning
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow, another positive and solid review for Tyler. If you can, please also post it here: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Has anyone used Bill Chionis from Stacy Blackman?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Has anyone here worked with Alex Leventhal? Heard about him from an acquaintance. I would appreciate any reviews / opinions. Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Adam Markus? I know he has a well regarded Admissions blog, and he seems to be a solid guy.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
WE:Sales (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Has anyone tried Gurome?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 5
WE 1: Medical devices,
WE 2: Consumer electronics
Send PM
bb wrote:
Wow, another positive and solid review for Tyler. If you can, please also post it here: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/

Thank you!

So many positive reviews for Tyler from 1st time posters. I hope the reviews are honest/real.
MBA Prep School CEO & Co-Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
gsmon wrote:
bb wrote:

Thank you!

So many positive reviews for Tyler from 1st time posters. I hope the reviews are honest/real.

Hi gsmon,

I am very grateful for the support of my clients. It's often the case that for me and other admissions consultants reviewed on this thread that former clients who are active members of GMAT Club prefer to post reviews under a new account to protect their anonymity. All of the reviews at https://gmatclub.com/reviews/ have been verified as authentic by GMAT Club's moderators. I hope that helps to put your mind at ease.

Regards,
Tyler
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.77
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
Has anyone used Alejandro Maldonado from SBC?? I am trying to decide on which company to use for my consultant but having trouble deciding which one would be the best for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.45
WE:Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Has anyone used Angela/Jessica/Rachel from MBAmission? Please PM me.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  26