Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72870 [5]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: Post Your Questions to GMAC Official Representative Here [#permalink]
Hi!

I would like to ask you about the new GMAT.
I understood that the new section will have a separate score between 1 and 8 but I noticed that the number of questions for the math and verbal is changing as well. The math section will have only 30 questions and the verbal will have 45 questions.
What about the time dedicated to the math and verbal sections? Is it changing as well?

Thanks for your time and consideration.
Official GMAC Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Expert Reply
vandygrad11 wrote:
Why did you guys write IR? What's the motivation behind it? For instance, did you want to get rid of an essay because nobody finds them useful and didn't want to shorten the test so you filled the space with something like that? Or is it really that important and what you're hoping to test isn't tested at all in the other sections?

Hello, VandyGrad11! That is a great question. GMAC regularly surveys graduate business program to ensure that the GMAT exam is testing the skillsets needed for success in the business classroom. The feedback we got from schools was that the ability to analyze data from multiple sources and formats to solve complex problems is critical to success in a graduate business program. This is very similar to the case studies you will be doing in business school and the types of analysis you will do on the job. We piloted the Integrated Reasoning questions last summer, and students who saw them agreed that the new section tested the same skillsets they expect to use in business school. So that's why we added Integrated Reasoning! As for your next question, we wanted to keep the length of the exam at 3 hours and 30 minutes, plus two 8-minute breaks. In our research of the AWA section, we concluded that one essay was sufficient to measure your ability to think critically and communicate your ideas. The AWA is still an important component of the GMAT exam. Written communication is not going away in business school, or in the business world!

I hope that answers your question. We wish you the best of luck in your studies!

Originally posted by OfficialGMAT on 06 Jun 2012, 12:05.
Last edited by OfficialGMAT on 06 Jun 2012, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
balkan wrote:
Hi!

I would like to ask you about the new GMAT.
I understood that the new section will have a separate score between 1 and 8 but I noticed that the number of questions for the math and verbal is changing as well. The math section will have only 30 questions and the verbal will have 45 questions.
What about the time dedicated to the math and verbal sections? Is it changing as well?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Hello, Balkan. Thank you for coming to us with this question! The number of questions you will receive in the quant and verbal sections is not changing. You will still have 37 questions in the quant section, and 41 in the verbal section. You will still have 75 minutes per section. I hope that answers your question!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you GMATClub for giving us this forum! We look forward to working with the test-taking community! How can we help you?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Good afternoon!

I have to change my official name (my last name has been changed) in my profile to match my government documents. Is this a complicated process? I have yet to register for the test if that helps. I had created an account last year which is why this is an issue now.
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abk wrote:
Good afternoon!

I have to change my official name (my last name has been changed) in my profile to match my government documents. Is this a complicated process? I have yet to register for the test if that helps. I had created an account last year which is why this is an issue now.

Hello, ABK! Do you have a GMAT ID yet? If you have already received a GMAT ID you will need to contact Pearson Vue to update your name. If you do not have a GMAT ID yet, you can use your new name when you create your profile. Thank you!
Send PM
Expert Reply
thulsy wrote:
Thanks bb!

I have a query that I've been asked for a while (on gmac website) but got no reply. I'll be appreciated for reply from GMAC. Thanks.

A question regarding IR: how does GMAT control the timing issue among test-takers to assure fairness?

1. I've heard from GMAC that everyone gets 8 scored questions (with fixed number of questions in each type) and 4 experimental questions (in random question types). (please correct me if I am wrong)
2. I, along with a lot of students around, found significant discrepancy in the time allocation for different question types. Specifically, a Graph Analysis may take less time than the average of 2.5 min per Q, while a Two-Part Analysis usually demands significantly more time than average.

Taken together, we have concern that the 4 experimental questions may place unfairness among test-takers.
i.e. If student A got more Two-Part Analysis and Multi-source Reasoning, while student B got more Graph Analysis and Table Analysis, student A is much more likely to run out of time in this IR session than student B.

Question: given that different test-takers have different numbers of Qs in each type, how does GMAC take effort to control the length in IR session among different test-takers?
Thanks.

Hello, Thulsy. These are good questions-I have shown this post to our GMAT team here and I hope to answer your questions soon. Thanks for reaching out!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
OfficialGMAT wrote:
abk wrote:
Good afternoon!

Hello, ABK! Do you have a GMAT ID yet? If you have already received a GMAT ID you will need to contact Pearson Vue to update your name. If you do not have a GMAT ID yet, you can use your new name when you create your profile. Thank you!

Yes, I've already signed up for an online account (if that is the GMAT ID). Do I need any documents on hand to change it with Pearson Vue? How long does it typically take to update the name? I'd like to change the name and register for the test in August/September.

Thanks!
Send PM
Expert Reply
thulsy wrote:
Thanks bb!

I have a query that I've been asked for a while (on gmac website) but got no reply. I'll be appreciated for reply from GMAC. Thanks.

A question regarding IR: how does GMAT control the timing issue among test-takers to assure fairness?

1. I've heard from GMAC that everyone gets 8 scored questions (with fixed number of questions in each type) and 4 experimental questions (in random question types). (please correct me if I am wrong)
2. I, along with a lot of students around, found significant discrepancy in the time allocation for different question types. Specifically, a Graph Analysis may take less time than the average of 2.5 min per Q, while a Two-Part Analysis usually demands significantly more time than average.

Taken together, we have concern that the 4 experimental questions may place unfairness among test-takers.
i.e. If student A got more Two-Part Analysis and Multi-source Reasoning, while student B got more Graph Analysis and Table Analysis, student A is much more likely to run out of time in this IR session than student B.

Question: given that different test-takers have different numbers of Qs in each type, how does GMAC take effort to control the length in IR session among different test-takers?
Thanks.

Hello, Thusly! To answer your question, the score range for the 12 question Integrated Reasoning section is from 1 to 8 but it might not be right to assume that eight of the questions are "scored" and the other four are not. Additionally, when the IR section of the GMAT exam is presented to each examinee, both test length and the time required to complete the test are controlled so that no examinee will have unfair advantage or disadvantage compared to any other test taker. I hope that answers your question.
Send PM
Expert Reply
abk wrote:
OfficialGMAT wrote:
abk wrote:
Good afternoon!

Yes, I've already signed up for an online account (if that is the GMAT ID). Do I need any documents on hand to change it with Pearson Vue? How long does it typically take to update the name? I'd like to change the name and register for the test in August/September.

Thanks!

Hello, ABK! Please send an email to socialmedia[at]mba[dot]com with your full name and the email address you registered with. We can take a look at your profile and see if you have a GMAT ID. If so, we will have someone from Pearson Vue contact you to update your name. If you do not yet have an ID, our customer care team can assist you. Thank you!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you everyone for all the great questions! Please continue to post all your GMAT exam questions here! You can also find us online on Twitter tomorrow at 1 pm US ET for our monthly #MBAChat. We will be co-hosting with the Rady School of Management and taking questions live. Follow us @OfficialGMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 550 Q48 V19
GMAT 2: 600 Q47 V25
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
i have few questions regarding gmat exam.

i have registered gmat exam for july 2012 and i am currently in my final year of undergraduation.now i am applying for mba in 2 colleges right now for 2+2 program.i have applied for isb hyderabad ypl 2012 program and i want to apply for hbs 2+2 program. now my gmat is on 31 july 2012.i have heard that after gmat exam,gmac allows us to send score to 5 schools for free.

so i ll send my score to isb ylp at that time but i am still going to apply to hbs 2+2 later on after the exam.so should i give the code of hbs at the time of gmat or should i send the score later on...

if i provide only 2 colleges after my gmat exam then ll i be allowed to send my gmat score to the remaining 3 colleges for free later on.if so what is the procedure for that.

i read the entire gmat handbook but there was no information on registering colleges to send score etc....

so i would be glad if u could provide me in detail about this procedure and solve my questions asked above...
thanks in advance

regards,
mudit
Send PM
Expert Reply
mathurmudit1003 wrote:
i have few questions regarding gmat exam.

i have registered gmat exam for july 2012 and i am currently in my final year of undergraduation.now i am applying for mba in 2 colleges right now for 2+2 program.i have applied for isb hyderabad ypl 2012 program and i want to apply for hbs 2+2 program. now my gmat is on 31 july 2012.i have heard that after gmat exam,gmac allows us to send score to 5 schools for free.

so i ll send my score to isb ylp at that time but i am still going to apply to hbs 2+2 later on after the exam.so should i give the code of hbs at the time of gmat or should i send the score later on...

if i provide only 2 colleges after my gmat exam then ll i be allowed to send my gmat score to the remaining 3 colleges for free later on.if so what is the procedure for that.

i read the entire gmat handbook but there was no information on registering colleges to send score etc....

so i would be glad if u could provide me in detail about this procedure and solve my questions asked above...
thanks in advance

regards,
mudit

Hello, Mudit! At your exam appointment, before you take the exam, you will be given the opportunity to select up to five schools receive your score report at no additional charge. You must select the programs at that time to do so without an additional charge. If you choose at a later date to send score reports to schools, you will be charged $28 USD, plus any applicable tax. This is the case, even if you selected fewer than five schools at the time of your exam appointment. Here is a link on our website to request additional score reports be sent to schools: https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/gmat-scores ... hools.aspx. I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8798 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Hello there, can we bring our own set of ear plugs to the test center?
Send PM
Expert Reply
macjas wrote:

Great question! You cannot bring your own earplugs, but you can request a pair when you check in for your appointment. They will be able to provide you with a pair. If you have any questions, you can call the test center where you have registered and they can give you more information.
Send PM
Expert Reply
mathurmudit1003 wrote:
macjas wrote:

whts the need of earplugs....?

Some test-takers prefer to use earplugs to block out any noise, which may cause distraction. It is entirely up to you. If you do wish to use earplugs, you will need to use the ones provided by the test center.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey Rebecca ,

I'm curious to know when will GMAC release the percentile scores for the new Integrated Reasoning Section ? For instance what percentile would a score of 8,7,6 etc correspond to ?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  29