Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: My experience 660 (Q45 V 35) 82 percentile overall [#permalink]
great debrief! good luck on the rest!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Thanks, guys.

Dawgie wrote:
I’m curious, did you find Jeff Sackmann more helpful for quant or the GMATClub tests?

Dawgie, please know that I have not scored 48+ in quant in any test, so it is imprudent of me to comment generally. However, I think that both have some value. Jeff's material is excellent practice material that is very close to the GMAT questions. I don't think I saw a single question on the real GMAT (again, I did not score high) that included complex calculations or multi-step solutions. MGMAT quant is plagued with this problem. (I also think that higher MGMAT verbal scores gave me false hopes.)

GMAT Club tests will steer you away from the traps, but they are not necessarily close to the actual GMAT problems. My key takeaways from these tests are:
1. 2 is the only even prime number
2. 0 is an integer, but it is neither positive nor negative
3. never multiply an inequality with a variable unless you know the sign of that variable
4. never divide an equation with a variable unless you know that variable is not zero
5. odd exponents are your friends
6. two equations and two variables necessarily do not mean a solution, both equations could give the same information
7. almost always there is a simpler solution to the given problem
8. when squared (or any other exponent), 1 and 0 will return the original value. i.e. \(a^x=a\) (edit: \(0^0\) is undefined

Originally posted by therockobama on 10 Sep 2010, 10:25.
Last edited by therockobama on 10 Sep 2010, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
660 is a good score. Can you share few tips for verbal also?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
great debrief!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
hi

thanks for the tips in the debrief... I am getting similar scores in my practice tests and not enough time to prepare.... anyhow, I will try to peak around gmat d-day!

thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
kissthegmat wrote:

First, know that verbal score can be improved. I have read walker's debrief and he has shown that with commitment and hard work it is possible to improve the verbal score. But unlike quant, English is difficult to get a firm hold on. It takes time. Some standard things that can help you are:
- read NYT, especially its editorials and critiques. NYT also prints variety of articles on science, arts, home, and business. The very kind of material that is tested on GMAT. Get a printed version than a paper version. This will force you to read.
- also, whenever you read, no matter what you read, read the material objectively. Do not blindly accept what a book or an article says (reminds me of Buddha's quote: https://www.quotationspage.com/quote/4692.html). Question the assumptions, see whether the conclusions make sense. This is my natural tendency, I do not believe any random thing, unless it comes from a standard source or it stands some logic tests. One good example is chain emails of Microsoft/Yahoo awarding free money for forwarding some emails.
- also, whenever you write, no matter what you write, question yourself: are you using the most effective words and grammar to convey some idea? Can the sentence be rewritten? Remember, most of times we just need simple words to explain something.
- somethings in GMAT V are just random. You will learn those specific patterns by practicing. Even after practicing OG material many times, I still fail to answer some questions correctly, because they test some nuanced concepts, which I cannot grasp yet. This is where Ron Purewal helps the most. His explanations are thorough. (one good document is the GMAT Prep SC document, which has links to MGMAT explanations)
- there are some tips out there for RC, but IMHO, RC is hard to improve unless you enjoy reading and "understand" the passage. for me, this happened after reading lot of articles (scientific and news), web-sites, blogs, etc. Again, if you can easily understand any NYT article on humanities, answering the questions based on that passage will become secondary.
- read elements of style at least once. Concision and clarity are the biggest takeaways from this book.

Last, always remember that "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent." (Eleanor Roosevelt). So, take upon the challenge and never give up.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Which schools are you applying too?
Current Student
Send PM
i think you will be competitive from 10s+ in rankings if you got a decent gpa (unlike mine...). It seems like you accepted the score which is fine - just make sure your school selection are withing gmat/gpa reach! good luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
no, i have not fully accepted this score. I am on the bottom 80% range of most of the schools of my choice. I will have to improve on my score. But I think I can submit some good++ essays accompanied with excellent++ recommendations. My MS/PhD gpa is 3.6+; and graduated in top 15% of my class in UG. I have solid extra curricular activities throughout my studies. I also have clear goals. I have always believed in maintaining right balance in everything. That's why my GPA does not read a 4.

Schools I would like to go to: Harvard, MIT, Michigan, Duke, Cornell and INSEAD.
Current Student
Send PM
hmm then maybe you do need a retake if you have time...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
therockobama wrote:
kissthegmat wrote:

First, know that verbal score can be improved. I have read walker's debrief and he has shown that with commitment and hard work it is possible to improve the verbal score. But unlike quant, English is difficult to get a firm hold on. It takes time. Some standard things that can help you are:
- read NYT, especially its editorials and critiques. NYT also prints variety of articles on science, arts, home, and business. The very kind of material that is tested on GMAT. Get a printed version than a paper version. This will force you to read.
- also, whenever you read, no matter what you read, read the material objectively. Do not blindly accept what a book or an article says (reminds me of Buddha's quote: https://www.quotationspage.com/quote/4692.html). Question the assumptions, see whether the conclusions make sense. This is my natural tendency, I do not believe any random thing, unless it comes from a standard source or it stands some logic tests. One good example is chain emails of Microsoft/Yahoo awarding free money for forwarding some emails.
- also, whenever you write, no matter what you write, question yourself: are you using the most effective words and grammar to convey some idea? Can the sentence be rewritten? Remember, most of times we just need simple words to explain something.
- somethings in GMAT V are just random. You will learn those specific patterns by practicing. Even after practicing OG material many times, I still fail to answer some questions correctly, because they test some nuanced concepts, which I cannot grasp yet. This is where Ron Purewal helps the most. His explanations are thorough. (one good document is the GMAT Prep SC document, which has links to MGMAT explanations)
- there are some tips out there for RC, but IMHO, RC is hard to improve unless you enjoy reading and "understand" the passage. for me, this happened after reading lot of articles (scientific and news), web-sites, blogs, etc. Again, if you can easily understand any NYT article on humanities, answering the questions based on that passage will become secondary.
- read elements of style at least once. Concision and clarity are the biggest takeaways from this book.

Last, always remember that "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent." (Eleanor Roosevelt). So, take upon the challenge and never give up.

Thank you for the post and making thing clear once again for me. good luck with your apps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
What a debrief.All the best ahead....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Nice long debrief!!!! All the best!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
All the Best !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management and Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Send PM
what a debrief!!!

alot to takeaway frm ur experience........:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
thank you for the insight.

therockobama wrote:
kissthegmat wrote:

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts