Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2217 [120]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618806 [44]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618806 [6]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2217 [4]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: Tired Interns [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
gmatpapa wrote:
At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired during their shifts. At the same time, 70% of the interns who receive 6 or more hours of sleep report no feelings of tiredness. If 80% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep, what percent of the interns report no feelings of tiredness during their shifts?

A. 6
B. 14
C. 19
D. 20
E. 81
Given:
< 6 hours sleep>= 6 hours sleepTOTAL
Tired75--
Not Tired-0.7*X?
TOTAL80X100

Interns who receive < than 6 hours sleep and Not Tired = 80 - 75 = 5;

TOTAL interns who receive >= 6 hours sleep = 100 - 80 = 20, so interns who receive >= 6 hours sleep and are Not Tired = 0.7 * 20 =14;

Interns who are Not Tired = 5 + 14 = 19.

Answer: C.

Thanks!

Bunuel, this tabular method for solving Venn Diagram problems: is it explained anywhere with other examples?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Sets problem - Tired [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vatsas wrote:
At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired during their shifts. At the same time, 70% of the interns who receive 6 or more hours of sleep report no feelings of tiredness. If 80% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep, what percent of the interns report no feelings of tiredness during their shifts?

a. 6
b. 14
c. 19
d. 20
e. 81

I need to understand the method to solve this problem. I tried the matrix method but failed. Is there any other method?

Thanks
Sumeet

You can just use logic or a Venn diagram, whatever works for you. I will give the logical solution below. Try to figure out the Venn diagram for it. Get back if it gets tricky.
Look at the given data line by line.

At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired during their shifts.

n(FEW and TIRED) = 75%

At the same time, 70% of the interns who receive 6 or more hours of sleep report no feelings of tiredness.
.... We will come back...

If 80% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep,

n(FEW) = 80%
Therefore, n(Not FEW) = 20%
Also since n(FEW and TIRED) = 75%, n(FEW and Not TIRED) = 5%

Now we go back to the second sentence.
We know that n(Not FEW) = 20%. 70% of these are not tired.
So n(Not TIRED and Not FEW) = 70% of 20% = 14%

what percent of the interns report no feelings of tiredness during their shifts?

n(Not TIRED) = n(FEW and Not TIRED) + n(Not TIRED and Not FEW) = 5% + 14% = 19%

The notation is used only to explain it to you. You obviously don't need to do that. Just remember that when you get some data '80% people get less sleep,' it also implies that 20% get enough or more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT Date: 07-27-2012
Send PM
At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer [#permalink]
Kudos
5% of 80 =4 but why you guys took it as 5% am I mistaking something :?:

hogann wrote:
asterixmatrix wrote:
80% receive less than 6 hours of sleep
75% report feeling tired so 5% dont feel tired

20% receive 6 or more hours of sleep
out of this 70% report no tiredness so it become 14%

total 5%+14% = 19%...C

Great Explanation - OA is 19%
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Tuesday Q2 - Interns [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
RichaMidha2012 wrote:
5% of 80 =4 but why you guys took it as 5% am I mistaking something :?:

asterixmatrix wrote:
80% receive less than 6 hours of sleep
75% report feeling tired so 5% dont feel tired

20% receive 6 or more hours of sleep
out of this 70% report no tiredness so it become 14%

total 5%+14% = 19%...C

A very important thing in percentages is to note what is the % of i.e. when I say 5%, it is 5% of what?

5% of total interns or 5% of interns who receive less than 6 hrs of sleep or 5% of interns who report tiredness etc

The question says:
75% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired during their shifts (75% of total interns)
If 80% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep (again, 80% of the total interns)

So out of 80% of total interns i.e. if total interns are 100, 80 of them receive fewer than 6 hrs of sleep. Out of 100, 75 receive fewer than 6 hrs of sleep and report tiredness. Therefore, 5 receive fewer than 6 hrs of sleep but report no tiredness.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
gmatpapa wrote:

A. 6
B. 14
C. 19
D. 20
E. 81
Given:
Tired75--
Not Tired-0.7*X?
TOTAL80X100

TOTAL interns who receive >= 6 hours sleep = 100 - 80 = 20, so interns who receive >= 6 hours sleep and are Not Tired = 0.7 * 20 =14;

Guys,
As per the solution : interns with LT6 hours of sleep and tired = 75% of total interns(75 assuming a smart number)
However I calculated it as : 0.75x0.80N. i.e. 75% of 80% of interns with LT6 hours of sleep.(which is obviously wrong).
I am not going very far with such mistakes. :(
Next comes a sillier question: how to avoid such mistakes. :( :???
Regards,
shivdeep
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 7208 [1]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
shivdeepmodi wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
gmatpapa wrote:

A. 6
B. 14
C. 19
D. 20
E. 81
Given:
Tired75--
Not Tired-0.7*X?
TOTAL80X100

Guys,
As per the solution : interns with LT6 hours of sleep and tired = 75% of total interns(75 assuming a smart number)
However I calculated it as : 0.75x0.80N. i.e. 75% of 80% of internswith LT6 hours of sleep.(which is obviously wrong).
I am not going very far with such mistakes. :(
Next comes a sillier question: how to avoid such mistakes. :( :???
Regards,
shivdeep

Needless to say, Bunuel's method is perfect :)

There is no need to calculate 75% of 80%

As the answer is expected in percentage, better take the Total interns = 100 so that the %age factor gets computed along
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
How this queston can be done with venn diagram. Can anyone suggest. I have tried the following combinations for the circles:

a. Tired one circle & Few than 6 hrs another circle.

Here How do I represent the balance more or equal to 6 hrs ( by another circle??)

2. Non tired one & more than 6 hrs another circle.

Still not gettign there.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [2]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ankushbagwale wrote:
How this queston can be done with venn diagram. Can anyone suggest. I have tried the following combinations for the circles:

a. Tired one circle & Few than 6 hrs another circle.

Here How do I represent the balance more or equal to 6 hrs ( by another circle??)

2. Non tired one & more than 6 hrs another circle.

Still not gettign there.

Hi ankushbagwale,

Presenting the Venn diagram approach for the question. Please refer the diagram below:

Given
Number of interns who receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired = \(b\) = 75% of total interns.

Number of interns who receive 6 or more hours of sleep and report no feeling of tiredness = \(d\) = 70% of interns who receive more than 6 hours of sleep

Number of interns who receive less than 6 hours of sleep = \(a + b = 80\)% of total interns

We are asked to find the percent of interns who report no feeling of tiredness.

Number of interns who report no feeling of tiredness = \(a + d\).

Hence we need to find \(\frac{a +d}{a + b + c+ d}\).

Approach
As we are not given any info about the number of interns, to find the ratio of of interns who report no feeling of tiredness to the total interns we need to express them in the same terms. With this understanding let's proceed to the working out.

Working Out
Let's assume the total number of interns to be \(x\). i.e. \(a + b + c + d = x\)

\(b = 75\)% of total interns \(= 0.75x\)

\(a + b = 80\)% of total interns \(= 0.8x\) which would give us \(a = 0.05x\)

It also tells us that \(c + d = 0.2x\).

\(d = 70\)% of interns who receive more than 6 hours of sleep

Interns who received more than 6 hours of sleep \(= c +d\)

So, we can write \(d = 70\)% of \((c + d) = 70\)% of \(0.2x = 0.14x\)

Hence \(a + d = 0.05x + 0.14x = 0.19x\)

So \(\frac{a +d}{a + b + c+ d} = \frac{0.19x}{x} = 19\)%

Answer: Option C

Hope it's clear :)

Regards
Harsh
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM