Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience.

Can you share your experience with the math challenges? were they helpful? how can we improve them?

thanks
Praetorian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Could you please talk a little bit about the Verbal Section. What kinda questions you saw in SC, CR and RC's. Without ofcourse giving away the questions verbatim. You know the types of questions, level of difficulty, etc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
For verbal:

The way the questions came was a bit weird. 4 SC, 2 RC, 2 CR, lots of SC, lots of CR, one last RC, one last SC

RC:
I got a 40, 50, and 80 line one. There was nothing hard about any of these. No crazy technical ones. Pretty standard questions regarding purpose of line X, etc. On the 80 line it compared and contrasted

SC:
I wish I could help others with this, but like I said before, I couldn't help myself get better at RC

CR: There was actually some hard ones here. I encountered three that were harder than I've seen before. Or maybe I was just dazed from working hard on the other sections. I got NO bold questions. The technique I needed to use to solve the really hard CR was basically map out all the data in it and how they relate to each other.

Hope that helps. If you have any more specific questions I'll be happy to answer.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
The math challanges were good before it forced me to think about what topics I was a little weak on. If I knew a topic so-so, I would probably get most of those questions correct in the OG and I would forget about it. But the challanges were so hard that they helped focus me on what I didn't know. The thing that I had to learn was that the GMAT only has a limited number of topics and you just have to become a machine at doing those questions.

One bad thing about the challanges: I completed a couple of them, and when I tried to navigate back to review my answers somehow I erased my answers, and that was really disappointing.

Praetorian wrote:
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience.

Can you share your experience with the math challenges? were they helpful? how can we improve them?

thanks
Praetorian
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulation mlpxmlp. All the best in your future endeavors!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
By the way, I took my test in the Boston Prometric site. The people were all really great and friendly, but it was noisy. So if you are in the Boston area, maybe you want to try a different place in the area. I wish the headphone worked a little better.. But that's ok, I don't think I could have done much better myself.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
mlpxmlp wrote:
For verbal:

The way the questions came was a bit weird. 4 SC, 2 RC, 2 CR, lots of SC, lots of CR, one last RC, one last SC

RC:
I got a 40, 50, and 80 line one. There was nothing hard about any of these. No crazy technical ones. Pretty standard questions regarding purpose of line X, etc. On the 80 line it compared and contrasted

SC:
I wish I could help others with this, but like I said before, I couldn't help myself get better at RC

CR: There was actually some hard ones here. I encountered three that were harder than I've seen before. Or maybe I was just dazed from working hard on the other sections. I got NO bold questions. The technique I needed to use to solve the really hard CR was basically map out all the data in it and how they relate to each other.

Hope that helps. If you have any more specific questions I'll be happy to answer.

Could you please elaborate a little bit more on the type of SC questions you saw: In the first 4 questions, were they straight-forward parallelism or misplaced modifiers, etc, etc or did you have to delve deeper into "breaking a sentence" down?

Also for the CR section, when you say you mapped out all the data do you mean you "jotted down" what the Premise, Conclusion, was on paper? Or was it just a mental note: An "Aha" moment, i see where the author is going with the premise and how he reached the conclusion? Please elaborate.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
>>Could you please elaborate a little bit more on the type of SC questions >>you saw: In the first 4 questions, were they straight-forward parallelism or >>misplaced modifiers, etc, etc or did you have to delve deeper into >>"breaking a sentence" down?

I have no idea. I am horrible at SC. All I could ever do was just read through the answer choices a couple of times, figure out the differences in them, and try to narrow it down as best as possible.

>>Also for the CR section, when you say you mapped out all the data do you >>mean you "jotted down" what the Premise, Conclusion, was on paper? Or >>was it just a mental note: An "Aha" moment, i see where the author is >>going with the premise and how he reached the conclusion? Please >>elaborate.

I actually wrote down all the premises and their relations to each other; then I tried to think through each answer choice. I jotted down a couple of words and drew arrows and everything. I think I had to read through each set of answers 10 times before I found the answer (and in 1 case, just gave up). I was pretty dizzy after all the testing so I needed that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Could you talk a little bit about the "timing" for the Verbal Section. How much time you had left, etc, etc. For e.g. I solved the first 5 questions in 12 minutes, etc, etc.

As you got towards the end of the test how many question did you have left. E.g. I had 10 questions i need to do in 12 minutes. I was in "rapid fire" mode and i think my accuracy was 60% for these questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmataquaguy wrote:
Could you talk a little bit about the "timing" for the Verbal Section. How much time you had left, etc, etc. For e.g. I solved the first 5 questions in 12 minutes, etc, etc.

As you got towards the end of the test how many question did you have left. E.g. I had 10 questions i need to do in 12 minutes. I was in "rapid fire" mode and i think my accuracy was 60% for these questions.

Well I think I'm different in timing for verbal than most. I can ususally finish a verbal section in 30-40 mintues. I'm not sure why I can do these faster. Maybe since I don't linger on the SC (no matter my technique I can only get 1/2 of them right). Even with slowing down for 1-2 hard CR questions I can still blast through.

The only advise I can give is that if you get a RC that is comparing and contrasting, as you go, keep track of the thing they list.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AWA 5.5 (all AWA answers included) [#permalink]
Hi, I just wanted to post about my AWA score of 5.5. When I practiced I always got 6, but I'm not complaining about my 5.5.

I'm not a great writer, I just used my girlfriend's proven technique of writing a lot to achieve these scores. I think I got a 5 on the Issue and a 6 on the argument. Perhaps my essays had a little too much BS? I used the princeton review techniques which were pretty straight forward.

Also I attached a file that has answers to all the AWA questions. They essays seem to be ok, and I used them as a guide after I worked on practice problems.
Attachments

2004-09-02_154302_GMAT_AWA_224_Sample.doc [1.07 MiB]
Downloaded 153 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Helpful material.Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great Score. Good luck for the application process.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts