Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
New to to forum... just wondering if anyone knows will the essay questions for Fall 2013 be the same as the ones currently on the website?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
For those who are interested in consulting: https://poetsandquants.com/2012/06/22/b- ... ultants/3/

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: AGSM '16
Send PM
Count me in for R2!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Send PM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/greggfairbr ... eneurship/

Social impact and entrepreneurship is big at Fuqua. Here's a good article with a Fuqua prof about the topic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
sdd996 wrote:
bbharuka wrote:
Hi....count me in too :)
Extremely nervous.......i hope it will settle once the process starts
FYI......came across this.... thought it might help......A 100$ application fee reduction waiver....make full use of it guys...
https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke ... ation_fee/

I'm quite new & naive about this application process.... can any1 guide me??

1. Are the chances of getting through an Early decision round better than other rounds?
2. Can any one share some info regarding the college, its unique features, that I should somehow include in my essays

I will not be going through any counselors to keep my application as original as possible (& they charge a bomb too)....so would require all the help I can get through these forums

Thanks
Bhupesh

Hi Bhupesh,

I'll add what I can. I absolutely recommend taking advantage of the application reduction. The main point of this (in my opinion) is to get you to go to Duke and really experience the school and the people. It is an extremely tight knit community. I can honestly say that going down there made me fall in love with the school.

Most schools that offer EA/ED don't outright say your chances are better, but the general consensus says otherwise. Especially programs like Duke who offer a binding early round, it shows you're committed. That means an offer should turn into an acceptance, so you're happy and the school (and their stats) are happy.

The biggest thing to know about fuqua is the team fuqua idea. Like I said earlier, it's a very tight community. You aren't completely isolated like some schools (think Tuck or Cornell, great programs but in the middle of nowhere) but you aren't in a city like NYC or Chicago. Fit is huge at Duke.

Thanks for your reply Sdd

Just a few more questions which are bugging me immensely.

1. I have very limited work-ex of 2 yrs (3 by time of matriculation), will that make it extremely difficult, if not outright impossible for me to get an job post MBA in consulting or otherwise considering that I'm an International applicant with no related work-ex.

2. Do the consulting companies that come for hiring at Duke or any other school have an GMAT/CGPA cut off?
VP
VP
Send PM
bbharuka wrote:
Thanks for your reply Sdd

Just a few more questions which are bugging me immensely.

1. I have very limited work-ex of 2 yrs (3 by time of matriculation), will that make it extremely difficult, if not outright impossible for me to get an job post MBA in consulting or otherwise considering that I'm an International applicant with no related work-ex.

2. Do the consulting companies that come for hiring at Duke or any other school have an GMAT/CGPA cut off?

1. the work experience won't be an issue with consulting companies. however; not all consulting companies sponsors international students, furthermore, many that do, pushes you to join your home offices.

2. your GMAT score is fine, which will offset your lower CGPA. GMAT/CGPA combination is not the only factor in getting closed listed. there's also the relevance of your work experience, networking, leadership, and a host of other factors.
VP
VP
Send PM
Fuqua will be joining 3 other schools conducting MBA information sessions in Africa in next week.

The dates and locations are:
Nairobi, Kenya - July 17
Johannesburg, South Africa - July 19
Lagos, Nigeria - July 23
Accra, Ghana - July 24

You can register at https://lnkd.in/J6VmuU
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Hi Duke Website says the application will be available in mid-July, so when can we expect the new application page. I would be applying in the EA round for Duke this year. All the best to all.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cahobs wrote:
Hi Duke Website says the application will be available in mid-July, so when can we expect the new application page. I would be applying in the EA round for Duke this year. All the best to all.

The Application Deadlines are out on Duke website :)
VP
VP
Send PM
cahobs wrote:
It has been updated on this thread and the GMATClub Fuqua Guide as well. If you are applying EA, note the date has been moved up 10 days from last year. Good luck everyone, hope y'all can join Team Fuqua next year!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
asimov wrote:
cahobs wrote:
It has been updated on this thread and the GMATClub Fuqua Guide as well. If you are applying EA, note the date has been moved up 10 days from last year. Good luck everyone, hope y'all can join Team Fuqua next year!

Thanks for the info :) i was on the second page from yesterday so didnt notice the update :oops:

I am applying in EA round. Good luck and all the very best everyone.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Hey all,

Essays are out! See below:

Three short answer questions and two essays are required for all applicants.
Responses should use 1.5 line spacing and a font size no smaller than 10-point.
Responses must be completed before submitting your application.
Prepare your responses carefully. The Admissions Committee considers your answers important in the selection process.
Required Short Answer Questions: Answer all 3 questions
Respond in 250 characters only (the equivalent of about 50 words).

1. What are your short-term goals, post-MBA?

2. What are your long-term goals?

3. Life is full of uncertainties, and plans and circumstances can change. As a result, navigating a career requires you to be adaptable. Should the short-term goals that you provided above not materialize what alternative directions have you considered?

Required Essays: Answer both essay questions

1. The "Team Fuqua" spirit and community is one of the things that sets The Duke MBA experience apart, and it is a concept that extends beyond the student body to include faculty, staff, and administration. When a new person joins the Admissions team, we ask that person to share with everyone in the office a list of "25 Random Things About Yourself." As an Admissions team, we already know the new hire's professional and academic background, so learning these "25 Random Things" helps us get to know someone's personality, background, special talents, and more.

In this spirit, the Admissions Committee also wants to get to know you—beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript. You can share with us important life experiences, your likes/dislikes, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you who you are. Share with us your list of "25 Random Things" about YOU.

Please present your response in list form, numbered 1 to 25. Some points may be only a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages.

2. When asked by your family, friends, and colleagues why you want to go to Duke, what do you tell them? Share the reasons that are most meaningful to you.

Your response to this essay question should be no more than 2 pages in length. Please respond fully and concisely using 1.5 line spacing.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
kingfalcon wrote:
Required Short Answer Questions: Answer all 3 questions
Respond in 250 characters only (the equivalent of about 50 words).

1. What are your short-term goals, post-MBA?

2. What are your long-term goals?

3. Life is full of uncertainties, and plans and circumstances can change. As a result, navigating a career requires you to be adaptable. Should the short-term goals that you provided above not materialize what alternative directions have you considered?

Does this mean they want our answers to be 250 characters for all three questions together or 250 characters per question?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I just created my application profile to check, it's 250 characters per question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
So it looks like there are open interviews on campus and the invitation only interviews later. Does anybody know from last year if it is seen as a black mark on your application to not attend the open interview sessions? The way the interview portion is worded makes it sound like they really expect people to travel to NC for an interview during that period.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am planning to visit Duke during the open interview period and want to learn as much as possible about Duke first hand as its my first choice. However when i try to register online for the open interview session and other activities like campus visits etc., im unable to do so, as the page says - no interviews currently available! should i wait for some more time or is there glitch somewhere. Since i would be applying in the EA round i have only Sept10th to 19th to visit which is a very small window of opportunity. perhaps one of the current students can help me out in this.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cahobs wrote:
I am planning to visit Duke during the open interview period and want to learn as much as possible about Duke first hand as its my first choice. However when i try to register online for the open interview session and other activities like campus visits etc., im unable to do so, as the page says - no interviews currently available! should i wait for some more time or is there glitch somewhere. Since i would be applying in the EA round i have only Sept10th to 19th to visit which is a very small window of opportunity. perhaps one of the current students can help me out in this.

Clarified with AdComm and the registrations start in August - my bad. :oops:
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts