Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: 710 (Q49 V38) - Questions/What to think? [#permalink]
roboas wrote:
Congrats on breaking the 700 level. I had a similiar verbal let down. Do any of your prior GMATs expire approaching the end of the five year score reportable window?

The first score on my report (620) will not drop off until July 18th of next year.

highwyre237 wrote:
welcome to the multiple tries to get over 700 and hitting 710 but not being satisfied club (I think there are few members because the name is a bit too long to remember.)

I think you're fine! Great job improving your quant level, I wish I was as successful. 700+ 80/80 split = no reason to bother with that test again, especially since it would be attempt number 5. Put this chapter of the process to bed.

Also, that 4.0 in your masters program will go much further then 10-20 more points on the gmat.

Be proud of your effort and what you achieved. Good luck on your apps

Thanks I appreciate the support. Glad to know I'm in the same boat as others. I am not going to take again, but am just looking to see what the community thinks.

Any other thoughts would be great too.

Thanks again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Anybody else have pearls of wisdom to share on my questions/concerns?

Thank you again to those who have already commented!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.22
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
You're done with the GMAT.

Focus more on the rest of your application. If there's an optional essay use it to address your low GPA.

How are your extra-curricular?

I like the upward trend on the GMAT score. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
gmatsaga wrote:
You're done with the GMAT.

Focus more on the rest of your application. If there's an optional essay use it to address your low GPA.

How are your extra-curricular?

I like the upward trend on the GMAT score. :)

Thanks for the support. Nice to hear. I definitely plan to write to my GPA in optional essays.

As far as extra-curriculars go, I believe I am somewhat solid. Most of them are community service related, but this is what I can speak to:

- I was philanthropy co-chairman of my fraternity in college (planned community service events for the whole org)
- Contribute to planning of annual Project Thanksgiving (at employer) to provide meals to over 850 homeless families in the D.C. area - received “Hearty Helpers Award” in 2011
- On the Operations Committee for Taste of the Nation annual fundraising event in D.C. supporting Share our Strength
- Co-founder of seasonal event Karaoke for Kids benefiting the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital fundraising
- Asian Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund – Annual scholarship application reader
- member of the "On Demand" community relations/service group at my current employer (fortune 20)
- serve as mentor in a the mentor program for new hires in my service area current employer

Thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8796 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Congrats on a great score! Don't beat yourself up too much about it. You have a very nice looking split and the upward trend in your scores demonstrates commitment. It's been a while since your first GMAT so I don't think this would be an issue with adcom. As others have suggested, you need to now focus on essays (which IMO are just as important if not more, than the GMAT) Your score tells the adcom that you're ready for the academic rigours of their program but your essay will convince them that you will make a fine addition to their student body. Time to burn all those gmat books now and head to the local bar to destroy some brain cells!... :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V38
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
I know couple of friends at US universities who are on the other side of the table i.e. teaching and evaluating. I understand from them that although it depends on particular school, a higher score or lower score does not guarantee you an admission. An above average or below average score does not make or break a situation. Of course, if you have 90th percentile score, you have crossed the first hurdle as your application will be looked at seriously. That's it. Beyond that application, individual school will focus on different aspects. Like for example, cornell or a wharton would like you to be in higher 90th percentile category. A 750 score guy can also expect to be dinged if his undergraduate scores are not good enough giving impression that a score of 750 was an exception.

Having said that, since you have already moved into an area where they have to look at you seriously come what may, you should focus on other aspects of your application. A good essay focusing on your corporate experience, team building, learning, anything exceptional achieved and even a good score in your masters will all contribute to your final standing.

Keep faith in yourself and go ahead.

neilferrini wrote:
Anybody else have pearls of wisdom to share on my questions/concerns?

Thank you again to those who have already commented!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Neil,
it doesn't matter if you are giving GMAT less than 5 times.They take your highest score.You have also addressed your GPA issue by scoring 4.0 in masters.I just think you should concentrate on your application. I had one question how differently you prepared for GMAT this time and from where did you take the practice test.Didn't you remember the questions from the GMAPTPREP the last you took it.I gave GMAT last week but scored 630.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
A high GMAT score is only one piece of the jigsaw puzzle that is getting to a respectable B-school. Approach the process holistically and you could find yourself matriculating at a top institution. All the best.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
manjeet1972 wrote:
A 750 score guy can also expect to be dinged if his undergraduate scores are not good enough giving impression that a score of 750 was an exception.

A 750 guy can be dinged and are indeed such people are getting dinged every year.
However, the reason is different from the one you have mentioned.
The chances of getting a high score in GMAT by fluke is very very low.
The whole purpose of GMAT is to provide a platform to compare students from different backgrounds.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
How do you know your GMAT score just after getting back home ? Doesnt it take 2-3 weeks (as the SAT) to receive your score ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
So I am yet again alarmed as I just received my score report.

Firstly, I have NO IDEA how, but i got a 5.5/6 (77%) on the AWA. I got a 6/6 on the last two official GMATS i took (these were under the old testing format). I guess I was hoping to reinforce my test score with a 6/6 showing top level writing from the test taking pool.

The thing that is in my head way more than AWA is that I scored a 5/8 (54%). I know the gmat world seems to agree not to worry about the IR at all b/c adcoms won't know what to do with it for a while. Honestly, I was so focused with such a long journey to get up into the 700s that I directed very little attention towards it and hammered home on the quant practice. I really thought (all speculation of course without actual percentiles) that a 5 or above would be decent enough to not have a gaping hole on my score report. Thought it might fall in the 70% or above if I got a 5. I am however really worried to have a score that is in the 54th percentile. What am I to think of this? Should I worry?

Any further thoughts on this stuff would be helpful.

Answers to questions are below:

Ivan91 wrote:
How do you know your GMAT score just after getting back home ? Doesnt it take 2-3 weeks (as the SAT) to receive your score ?

They provide you with an unofficial score report after the test.

mrinal2100 wrote:
Hi Neil,
it doesn't matter if you are giving GMAT less than 5 times.They take your highest score.You have also addressed your GPA issue by scoring 4.0 in masters.I just think you should concentrate on your application. I had one question how differently you prepared for GMAT this time and from where did you take the practice test.Didn't you remember the questions from the GMAPTPREP the last you took it.I gave GMAT last week but scored 630.

I really didn't see too many recycled ?s. Especially on the quant side. I think this was because I was performing at a higher level and therefore, seeing more difficult questions that I had never seen before. Also, I'll say that any questions I saw that were recycled were legit questions because I did not remember any question well enough to have an advantage - I still had to work the question from scratch.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far with advice/feedback.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
@neilferriri: have you read this article about IR by the MGMAT folks?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
macjas wrote:
@neilferriri: have you read this article about IR by the MGMAT folks?

I did see this post by MGMAT. I guess I'm in the clear. Do you think this should be enough to comfort me about the 54% result?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I would go by what the MGMAT experts say. You made a 5 so if you're applying this year then don't sweat it. After all, the adcom folks won't be able to interpret the IR data as yet anyways. So now I think it's time for you to focus on the essays and apps. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts