Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [17]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.22
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.22
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V700
Send PM
Re: In the 1880's, improved pest-control methods saved the [#permalink]
Thanks for the clarification, daagh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Jerome: Corey
Send PM
daagh you greatly clarified the question and it is also helpful for me to know the concept behind this question. Thumbs up!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [3]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
gmatsaga wrote:
In the 1880's, improved pest-control methods saved the region's citrus crop, although its grape, celery, and sugar beet crops had already been destroyed by pests.

(A) In the 1880's, improved pest-control methods saved the region's citrus crop, although its grape, celery, and sugar beet crops had already been destroyed by pests

(B) Pests destroyed the region's grape, celery, and sugar beet crops when, in the 1880's, improved pest-control methods saved its citrus crop

(C) The region's citrus crop was saved by improved pest-control methods in the 1880's, its grape, celery, and sugar beet crops already having been destroyed by pests

(D) Improved pest-control methods saved the region's citrus crop in the 1880's, though they had already destroyed its grape, celery, and sugar beet crops

(E) Improved pest-control methods, in the 1880's, saved the region's citrus crop, its grape, celery, and sugar beet crops were already destroyed by pests

Meaning of the sentence is that some pest control methods save the region's citrus crop. But other mentioned crops were already destroyed by pests before citrus crop was saved.

(A) In the 1880's, improved pest-control methods saved the region's citrus crop, although its grape, celery, and sugar beet crops had already been destroyed by pests. Correct Choice as it gives the right meaning.

(B) Pests destroyed the region's grape, celery, and sugar beet crops when, in the 1880's, improved pest-control methods saved its citrus crop. It says both 'improving citrus crop' and 'destroying other crops happened at the same time. this is not the intended meaning.

(C) The region's citrus crop was saved by improved pest-control methods in the 1880's, its grape, celery, and sugar beet crops already having been destroyed by pests. No proper connection between 'The region's citrus crop was saved by improved pest-control methods in the 1880's' and following sentence.

(D) Improved pest-control methods saved the region's citrus crop in the 1880's, though they had already destroyed its grape, celery, and sugar beet crops. 'they' refers to pest control methods. There methods were not responsible for destruction.

(E) Improved pest-control methods, in the 1880's, saved the region's citrus crop, its grape, celery, and sugar beet crops were already destroyed by pests. No proper connection between 'Improved pest-control methods, in the 1880's, saved the region's citrus crop' and following sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
daagh wrote:
As far as I know, this is the pith of MGMAT’s latest stand on the use of possessive pronoun, which it fondly used to call as the possessive pronoun poison.
1. A possessive pronoun can stand for a possessive noun
2. A possessive pronoun can stand for a non- possessive noun
3. A non possessive pronoun can stand for a non- possessive noun.

Most important: The only case where it can‘t be accepted is when a non-possessive is used to stand for a possessive noun.

Link: https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/aga ... t9229.html

Even so, I see no problem in choice A because its is a possessive pronoun and it stands for region’s, another possessive noun. Pretty straightforward, I thought . What is the hitch?

Region is non-possessive form; Region's is possessive form.

Hi, I tried to solve it with the modifiers. Isn't "improved" in (A) modifying 1800s?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
daagh GMATNinja AjiteshArun

Can anyone help me choose between A and C. As far as I know having been seems alright here since it modifies region
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
Can anyone help me choose between A and C. As far as I know having been seems alright here since it modifies region

(A) In the 1880s, improved pest-control methods saved the region's citrus crop, although its grape, celery, and sugar beet crops had already been destroyed by pests

(C) The region's citrus crop was saved by improved pest-control methods in the 1880s, its grape, celery, and sugar beet crops already having been destroyed by pests

This is a tricky issue. But cool; the first catch is to ask when all the things happened? A says in the 1880s, because, that modifier is placed at the head of the entire clause that is following. On the contrary, C places it as though what happened in 1880 is relevant only for the Citrus. This is a material digression
Point 2. The use of ‘although’ in A perfectly brings out the contrast that is embedded in the choice
Point 3. A is written in the active voice, while C is unnecessarily passive.
See why A is the correct one?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
iamdivs wrote:
daagh GMATNinja AjiteshArun

i am hoping your doubt is clear by now.

But i want to contribute my 1 cent here.
Option C has squinting modifier issue because " in the 1880" is placed in between the sentence.It can either modify the left part eg " all this happend in 1880 ..... or in 1880 .... destroyed by the pets".
Also, when we use these dates or year, we have to be extra careful in placing them. option A is very clear in placement of the year and taking care of squinting modifier.

(C) The region's citrus crop was saved by improved pest-control methods in the 1880's, its grape, celery, and sugar beet crops already having been destroyed by pests
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
KarishmaB RonTargetTestPrep gmatophobia

I think the OA is wrong, although cannot be the second part / clause of the sentence i.e.

(A) In the 1880's, improved pest-control methods saved the region's citrus crop, although its grape, celery, and sugar beet crops had already been destroyed by pests

The correct option should be :
Although its grape, celery, and sugar beet crops had already been destroyed by pests, improved pest-control methods saved the region's citrus crop

Can you please correct me
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64920 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rickooreo wrote:
KarishmaB RonTargetTestPrep gmatophobia

I think the OA is wrong, although cannot be the second part / clause of the sentence i.e.

The correct option should be :
Although its grape, celery, and sugar beet crops had already been destroyed by pests, improved pest-control methods saved the region's citrus crop

Can you please correct me

From where are you getting these rules? The dictionary is full of examples with a dependent clause using 'although' after the main clause.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... h/although
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts