Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Imp advice for MBA aspirants @ 2nd tier European B schools [#permalink]
Hi,

I plan on applying for Rotterdam and I am srprised it isnt anywhere in your ranking, since it is been ranked quite highly in the FT. They only demand 600 as a minimum GMAT score, and virtually any European can enter there if they so wished (1.800 euro per year, one year masters). Still, it manages to rank quite high and have a very international profile: they are Dutch, after all.

Now you made me have second guesses. I will research further, but I am quite sure those you menioned are expensive private schools. As an European who obtained a first bachelor in Spain and a second one in the Netherlands, I have heard only bad prejudiced opinions about private schools: IE, ESADE (highly ranked as well), Tias Nimbas and Nyerode. Most people tell me that with such a good education system in Europe, going t private schools means you belong to a rich family and just want to "buy a title". I am notsaying I do agree with that, but since it is obvous that you do need the money, I wonder wheher the success comes from the school's educational achievements or from a high-class person's ability to nework better.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Alicia,

The important thing here is not just the course fee or a person's ability. A smart person does well anywhere & everywhere but if a smart person go to a really good school & gets the career support that only good schools provide, it helps the guy to get even better career opportunities. I found that many of these schools that i have listed tend to say a lot about their facilities but in reality the facilities are far below standard. I contacted a lot of international students because they need these services more than the local European students because of visa & work permit issues and rely a lot on what the schools write on their websites & say during the MBA promotion tours. I attended such a MBA tour in London recently and asked the school for an explanation about what a few recent graduates told me, silence was the only reply. You have to be weary of the school's marketing gimmicks.

I will insist that you contact a lot of recent graduates & current graduates of the school that you wish to attend. If you wish to pursue an MBA, this exercise becomes very important. Btw, Rotterdam is a 1st tier MBA school in Europe & has a strong reputation in western Europe but not much influence beyond European boundaries. Its MBA curriculum is very strong & up to date. Career services as a whole are average but the opportunities to network, as provided by the school are very good. Even amongst the 1st Tier MBA schools for like RSM, Said, Judge, Manchester, Imperial, Smurfit, Vlerick, Cranfield, ESADE, CBS, HEC, Manhiem and Cass, schools in the UK tend to have much better career services than other schools in continental Europe. As far as the FT & other MBA rankings are concerned, these rankings consider many factors which could be related to the overall experience at the school but at times it doesn't matter much to an MBA student. For e.g having a triple accreditation is no where a guarantee that the school's MBA is excellent, it just means that the school fulfills all the requirements required to be granted a triple accreditation and such requirements could be as basic as the size of the campus & the number of programs run by the school (including many new & worthless programs) etc. MBA is an expensive decision, i only suggest that study your targeted school inside out to find the truth so that you could be proud of your school later in life and not write hate blogs about your MBA experience as many i have seen popping up lately.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello,

I am a software engineer, with bachelors from india, masters from gerogia tech [ 4th rank in CS ] and now working as a software engineer in a top tier company for 2 years now in US.

My question:
I would like to change career to more strategy/ consulting/ operations.

I am ok with doing my MBA in US / Europe / Australia

what are the best schools for changin careers, what should i be concentrating when i am researching about universities.
How hard is to get a job for international student in Europe.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Fauxpaus,

US leads the world in terms of business school quality & post MBA careers. No where else but in just a few top European schools like Lbs, Said, Judge, Insead, Imd, IE, Iese & Hec can you get equivalent quality & support. In this uncertain economic period i will recommend you to avoid Europe until and less you go to one of the mentioned schools. Even quality 2nd tier schools have failed to match up to the career aspirations of most of their international students & the situation is very sensitive.

As i have been recommending in my posts, i would advice you to go to South-East Asia & make use of the abundant opportunities there. Explore top Asian & Australian schools like Ceibs, Hkust, Nanyang, Nus, Agsm, Mbs and Isb. These schools will be able to help you achieve your career dream more than any other American & European school at present. Europe is dead and US has started to decay again, its Asia where the opportunities are. But if you can make it to any of the big league schools anywhere in the US or in Europe, you will be successful.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thanks! for the quick response.

I have one more question [ I am pushing my luck here by asking so many questions :) ]

I am planning to give me GMAT after a year and apply the year after.

As of now, i have started researchin and by research I mean going through websites and forums like gmat club.

My Question:

What additional things should i do to get more information ?

From your earlier post, i saw you recomended asking previous or present students. how frequently do they reply ? is there any websites or resources that i should consider ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi fauxpaus,

Thats a good question. I would advice that if you are targeting a tier 2 school, research it inside out before making a final decision. The best way, as i have mentioned before, is to contact recent & past graduates & seek their opinion. Ask the school to put you in contact with them, if the school isn't very supportive try social networking sites. If you reach out, they will give your opinion. Try contacting local companies in the region where you wish to work & find out if they have recently hired from the school or if at all they would consider the school. Forums could be very subjective but the 2 exercises mentioned above will lead you to an informed decision.
GMAT Club Bot