Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Send PM
Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink]
just a thought, can i get into mckinsey WITHOUT MBA, i mean if i get a stellar gmat 760+ can i get into mckinsey right away. mckinsey consults semiconductor companies as well. would my experience in semiconductors + high gmat(showing good analytical abilities) be able to get me into mckinsey
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
vikram4689 wrote:
just a thought, can i get into mckinsey WITHOUT MBA, i mean if i get a stellar gmat 760+ can i get into mckinsey right away. mckinsey consults semiconductor companies as well. would my experience in semiconductors + high gmat(showing good analytical abilities) be able to get me into mckinsey

I am not sure of your background/experience.

But let me try to answer your q. Yes you can get into McKinsey without MBA as an experienced hire. But your resume and experience have to be stellar to get an interview.
Can someone chime in with more insight on the matter?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Wow did not know this thread was still going. Great stuff everyone.

To refocus back to the topic of MBA rotational programs:

What's the career path for rotational programs? What happens 10-15 years after you finish a program? From my understanding, you do a two year program and then coming out of it get put in a managerial type role. What do most people do after this? Just keep climbing this corporate ladder? I know the answer probably depends on the company & function, but a general understanding would be nice. Can't seem to find too much online.

One other question: These rotational programs often times have the word "leadership" in them - thus implying a degree of managerial responsibility. Is this a farce? During these rotational programs are you really leading people? Or just being your own "personal leader"?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
stompy wrote:
One other question: These rotational programs often times have the word "leadership" in them - thus implying a degree of managerial responsibility. Is this a farce? During these rotational programs are you really leading people? Or just being your own "personal leader"?
The majority of the "management" straight out of MBA are managing processes or brands. However, if you choose to work in a plant or in sales, you most likely will manage a line of workers or sales reps in your region.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: GM
Schools:Ross PT
WE 1: Operations Management
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Project Engineer
Send PM
Good thread.

I think some of the best LDP programs for manufacturing: Amazon (pathways), Eaton, Whirlpool, BASF, DowChemical

Oil: Exxon, Chevron, BP

Finance: Seems like every company has a good one.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AKPsi, ISA
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.53
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Since we're discussing intell, anyone know about other LDP programs in the Bay Area? I'm thinking adobe, apple, google, maybe tesla, etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Great thread. One company that I have heard about in the Bay Area is Intuit. They have a cross functional LDP; it should be worthwhile to take a look.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I could be wrong. I believe, in general, technology or entrepreneurial firms do not have LDPs. There are several reasons: 1) they have a meritocracy culture, so they will ID talent internally based on past performance in the company; 2) they are not short on talent pool; 3) some may have high turn over because of talent competition in the Bay Area, wasting resource to develop someone, who will jump ship; 4) company too small to worry about succession planning (Musk is probably not concerned about his replacement).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:
What companies have strong LDPs in the healthcare/biotech area? What are the job opps like after completion?

I would say for the most part, health care companies are not general management type rotational programs, they are generally either marketing LDPs OR finance LDPs, at least if you are looking at products (biotech/pharma/devices). Services/delivery and insurance are often a bit different.

So, many have commercial/marketing LDPs. These would work very similarly to what a CPG company would. You might rotate through different brands or different stages of marketing (market research, early stage, late stage) and then you just pick or interview for a spot on a team at the end. I don't think it's necessarily a huge jump once you finish your LDP. Marketing programs tend to have a very set promotional structure...do this for two years, then do this for four years, etc.

Pharma/biotech companies almost always include a sales rotation, and this might be one of only two rotations.

Pretty much all of the major companies have these. Amgen, Genentech, Merck, J&J, Medtronic, BMS, Lilly. Probably many more that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

I think Cigna and Aetna both have LDP programs that do rotate through different functions. I don't know how they exit out though.

Hospital/provider/delivery is just a whole different beast I think. There are a couple that were mentioned earlier that have specific MBA recruiting, but others you have to come through residencies (for which the pay really sucks to start out) and some hospitals just aren't structured the same as a corporation. You might have a performance improvement/quality improvement job in which you end up doing a mix of operations and finance, rather than rotating through departments.

As mentioned above, I've noticed that many Pharma companies appear to offer either Marketing or Finance LDPs/rotations. If anyone out there would care to surmise, do you believe that joining one of the Finance rotations would be the beginning of the track to CFO?

Many thanks!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
beehagit wrote:
As mentioned above, I've noticed that many Pharma companies appear to offer either Marketing or Finance LDPs/rotations. If anyone out there would care to surmise, do you believe that joining one of the Finance rotations would be the beginning of the track to CFO?

The answer depends on the company and the rotational program. Every company has a core functional competency. Some companies are strong in marketing, some in finance, others in operations. Companies tend to groom its future leaders from that functional pool. Although your initial rotations may start in a specific function, you may end up doing something completely different depending on your potential. There are many CEOs who start in a functional LDP, and transition to a broader rotation later in their career.

With that said, it is adviseable to join a functional LDP in a function you are interested in. Your performance and career potential depends on how you do initially. After that, the sky is the limit. You are not limited to CFO or treasurer, if you join a finance LDP.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
All the programs are top leadership development programs if the effort applied to them is sincere. Growth graph may be steady or rapid depending upon the situation and the resources available but sure results of getting success is always there whatever being the stream to to which the person is related.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Interesting Thread. LDP sounds Good.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.16
WE:Underwriter (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Does anyone have a consensus list of programs and what their core MBA programs are?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Send PM
dh63396 wrote:
Does anyone have a consensus list of programs and what their core MBA programs are?

There’s not a list out there. I would advise that you look at what industry/function you want to pursue, and then research some of the leading companies to see if there is a LDP available.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [3]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Kudos