Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: ESSEC VS St.Gallen [#permalink]
Kudos
hardrunner wrote:
Hello everyone,

I found this amazing website by chance and read many awesome posts here. There are so many warm-hearted and knowledgeable guys here. Now I am considering ESSEC VS St.Gallen if admitted. I would like to hear your opinions. I have searched the existed posts, but there is few discussing ESSEC. If you know anything about the two schools, please don't hesitate to tell. Any suggestion and opinion is sincerely appreciated!

My brief profile: I plan to work in industry or consulting in Europe after MBA (hopefully Switzerland, France, or German), ; can only speak English and will learn French or German depending on which school I will go; have industry experience pre-MBA.

Hi Hardrunner,

Well on a broader note, if you want to work in German speaking Part of Switzerland, Germany, Austria and Liechtenstein then St. Gallen is definitely the place to be. St. Gallen as a Business school is already one of the best in Europe. The MBA which started in 2005 should soon take its place among the best of Europe too. St. Gallen is to the German speaking realm what Harvard and Wharton are to the States.

The college enjoys very strong industry connections across Switzerland and Germany. From what I have heard, German language speaking skills will make it easier to land a top gig through St. Gallen, although alumni have managed it without it too.

Hope this helps regarding St. Gallen.

Cheerz.

Varun
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Varungmatt,

Thank you for the information! I saw you at another post, Calling for St.Gallen 2013. Have you got the full admission now? With German language ability, I believe St.Gallen is good for you. This is also one of my concerns, coz I cannot speaking German or Franch now. It'll be the important problem for going to either St.Gallen or ESSEC. I will starting learning language if decide to go there, but time is tight, and may not progress much.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hardrunner wrote:
Hey Varungmatt,

Thank you for the information! I saw you at another post, Calling for St.Gallen 2013. Have you got the full admission now? With German language ability, I believe St.Gallen is good for you. This is also one of my concerns, coz I cannot speaking German or Franch now. It'll be the important problem for going to either St.Gallen or ESSEC. I will starting learning language if decide to go there, but time is tight, and may not progress much.

I have to submit a couple of documents, so I will only get to know after 10 days. Well I think both the courses start only in September. So there is enough time for you to learn basics. Not being biased but I would choose St. Gallen over ESSEC any day.

You can go through the students blogs of St. Gallen regarding German:

https://stgallenmba.ch/studentblog/category/german/

Cheers!

Varun.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot, Varun! Very helpful! Good luck with your application!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The Housing subsidy is open to all. It is depend on your previous salary drawn ( converted to Euro's). So you are eligible for it.

Its too early to talk about placement as we are only halfway through the course ( we would be available for Jobs starting Oct'12). Please remember this is the pilot batch. However the career services, Alumni, school is giving full support for our job search. ESSEC has one of the biggest alumni networks in the world ( over 35,000 ) spread across the world. So it really helps when you contact them. Quite a few people have already been interviewed for jobs and is going on continuously since most companies have multiple rounds of interviews. You can reach a A2 level of french while starting from scratch. However it would be advantageous to take crash course in basic french level classes before you join. Then you can join the intermediate level classes of french. Quite a few people did that and now can interact in basic french.

Hope that answers your question
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Vineets! Very helpful! And the clue about the housing subidy is a good news!

vineets wrote:
The Housing subsidy is open to all. It is depend on your previous salary drawn ( converted to Euro's). So you are eligible for it.

Its too early to talk about placement as we are only halfway through the course ( we would be available for Jobs starting Oct'12). Please remember this is the pilot batch. However the career services, Alumni, school is giving full support for our job search. ESSEC has one of the biggest alumni networks in the world ( over 35,000 ) spread across the world. So it really helps when you contact them. Quite a few people have already been interviewed for jobs and is going on continuously since most companies have multiple rounds of interviews. You can reach a A2 level of french while starting from scratch. However it would be advantageous to take crash course in basic french level classes before you join. Then you can join the intermediate level classes of french. Quite a few people did that and now can interact in basic french.

Hope that answers your question
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Vineet,

I have just got through the Essec Global MBA program starting September 2012. My attraction towards the school is exactly what you have mentioned in the previous post but still cant make up my mind a 100%. So, Can you please guide me on a few queries of mine.

1) Although it might be early to comment on the job prospects post completion, but still from what I have heard it is a huge disadvantage not being a "NATIVE" french speaker in france . Your Comments ?

2) Although it depends on one's own caliber where securing job is concerned , but still since you have been there and experienced the situation , with uneasy state of the European economy, would one able to secure a job in europe with the current market situation.

3) What would be the average spending there on a daily basis ? ( If you dont mind sharing )

Any other guidlines which you may be able to give me , will be of great help.

My Profile - Computer Engineer with around 3 yrs of IT experience

Thanks in Advance. Your Previous posts have been very helpful as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Is it feasible for non EU residents to expect work permits (Germany or Switzerland) after an MBA in St Gallen?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
karanmathur23 wrote:
Hi Vineet,

I have just got through the Essec Global MBA program starting September 2012. My attraction towards the school is exactly what you have mentioned in the previous post but still cant make up my mind a 100%. So, Can you please guide me on a few queries of mine.

1) Although it might be early to comment on the job prospects post completion, but still from what I have heard it is a huge disadvantage not being a "NATIVE" french speaker in france . Your Comments ?

Knowing French is definately a advantage in France ( please remember its a french speaking country). However I don,t really understand your " Native" french speaker. Its partly true that you have to be fluent in french to be based in France. However I know of quite a few people from ESSEC who are employed by companies in France, although they are not fluent in french and are still learning it. This is based on the roles they have. So it depends on what role, industry you want to get into. Client facing roles require french, thats for sure. It all depends on what you want to do post the MBA. Don,t forget you would be studying at the Singapore campus where French companies come for hiring for Asia Pacific region. They don,t insist on French.

2) Although it depends on one's own caliber where securing job is concerned , but still since you have been there and experienced the situation , with uneasy state of the European economy, would one able to secure a job in europe with the current market situation.

In France and all over Europe the B-school network opens doors for you. So the reputation of the Business School matters. ESSEC is 105 years old and is considered among the top 10 B-schools of Europe. It has a exchange programs with the best B-schools of the world. The job search is with the help of the career services. The Alumni, school is giving full support for our job search. ESSEC has one of the biggest alumni networks in the world ( over 35,000 ) spread across the world. So it really helps when you contact them. Fyi most of the job market is hidden....it is not advertised much and gets filled through networks. Thats where ESSEC network gets helpful. Its difficult to answer if one would be able to secure a job in Europe or not. We are working towards securing a job and hope to get it soon. It all depends on what are your transferable skills, where you want to go after the MBA.

3) What would be the average spending there on a daily basis ? ( If you dont mind sharing )

Please elaborate. It all depends on your housing choice ( varies from Euro 500- 740). Then the french housing subsidy is dependent on your previous income ( varies between 100-250 Euro) , whether you cook food yourself or eat outside, how much you travel around. The school can provide you a specific basic idea. Please request them for details.

[color=#0000ff]Please elaborate on this question. Its not clear as to what you want to know.
[/color]

Hi Karan,

find my answers to your specific questions in blue
Intern
Intern
Send PM
karanmathur23 wrote:
Hi Vineet,

Knowing French is definately a advantage in France ( please remember its a french speaking country). However I don,t really understand your " Native" french speaker. Its partly true that you have to be fluent in french to be based in France. However I know of quite a few people from ESSEC who are employed by companies in France, although they are not fluent in french and are still learning it. This is based on the roles they have. So it depends on what role, industry you want to get into. Client facing roles require french, thats for sure. It all depends on what you want to do post the MBA. Don,t forget you would be studying at the Singapore campus where French companies come for hiring for Asia Pacific region. They don,t insist on French.

In France and all over Europe the B-school network opens doors for you. So the reputation of the Business School matters. ESSEC is 105 years old and is considered among the top 10 B-schools of Europe. It has a exchange programs with the best B-schools of the world. The job search is with the help of the career services. The Alumni, school is giving full support for our job search. ESSEC has one of the biggest alumni networks in the world ( over 35,000 ) spread across the world. So it really helps when you contact them. Fyi most of the job market is hidden....it is not advertised much and gets filled through networks. Thats where ESSEC network gets helpful. Its difficult to answer if one would be able to secure a job in Europe or not. We are working towards securing a job and hope to get it soon. It all depends on what are your transferable skills, where you want to go after the MBA.

Please elaborate. It all depends on your housing choice ( varies from Euro 500- 740). Then the french housing subsidy is dependent on your previous income ( varies between 100-250 Euro) , whether you cook food yourself or eat outside, how much you travel around. The school can provide you a specific basic idea. Please request them for details.

[color=#0000ff]Please elaborate on this question. Its not clear as to what you want to know.
[/color]

Hi Karan,

find my answers to your specific questions in blue
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Vineet for your response on the same. I have got the answers to my queries. Looking forward to join ESSEC in September.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
ESSEC VS St.Gallen [#permalink]