Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [7]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 526 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Knowledge International says its new scheme will support federal objec [#permalink]
Kudos
mundasingh123 wrote:
Knowledge International says its new scheme will support federal objectives on investments for meeting the future economy needs, and encouraged mature students to participate

A. will support federal objectives on investments for meeting the economy needs, and encouraged mature students to participate

B. can support federal objectives regarding the investments in meeting economy's future needs, and encourage older students for participation.

C. has supported federal objectives regarding investments in meeting the economy’s future needs and encouraged older students participation.

D. would support federal objectives regarding investment to meet the economy's future needs, and would encourage mature students to participate

E. could support federal objectives regarding investments to meet the economy's future needs and encourages older students to participate

"to meet the economy's future needs" is an adverbial modifier and requires a verb .The only present D and E is "would / could support ). Therefore the meaning is changed
In C, the scheme is new, then how could it already have supported?
In A, there is tense mismatch between "says" and encouraged"
In B "can" shows ability and there is no definite article before "economy's"

I'd Go for B with this - As per the intent the sentence has to be in present tense . and B is the only choice which does that well .
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Knowledge International says its new scheme will support federal objec [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
Between D and E, E misses parallelism by using the present tense -encourages - while the modal - would encourage - will make the construction a lot better. In addition, the use of - older - in E is badly chosen because intellectual matters such as participation in schemes is not age based. D is my choice

I agree with you on the use of older.
But E does maintain parallelism because the subject is knowledge international and agrees with the word "encourages ".Isnt "would reserved for hypothetic events.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
yes - one use of "would" is for hypos --- this is a hypo --- the "new scheme" is going to do something, so it is unreal in that sense

in E there is no comma before "and" - you need a comma before an "and" if it is joining two separate clauses.
Verbal Forum Moderator
 Q49  V42
Send PM
gmat1011 wrote:
yes - one use of "would" is for hypos --- this is a hypo --- the "new scheme" is going to do something, so it is unreal in that sense

in E there is no comma before "and" - you need a comma before an "and" if it is joining two separate clauses.

What abt D?
Nones commenting on "investment/investments to verb/in verbing
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
"Investment" can be used that way... investment to meet... needs seems fine to me

The broad agenda for the Prime Minister's emergency meeting was related to foreign investment in the country.

You don't have to say foreign "investments" though it is pretty unlikely that it will just be one 'investment'
Verbal Forum Moderator
 Q49  V42
Send PM
gmat1011 wrote:
"Investment" can be used that way... investment to meet... needs seems fine to me

The broad agenda for the Prime Minister's emergency meeting was related to foreign investment in the country.

You don't have to say foreign "investments" though it is pretty unlikely that it will just be one 'investment'

to verb is an adverbial modifier and needs a verb to modify.In D and E the only verb is support
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Send PM
so what is your conclusion? support X.... to meet Y is a valid formulation. Just googled and found this on a Canadian government website:

We therefore recommend that dedicated funding be made available to support organizations to meet AODA compliance standards.
Verbal Forum Moderator
 Q49  V42
Send PM
gmat1011 wrote:
so what is your conclusion? support X.... to meet Y is a valid formulation. Just googled and found this on a Canadian government website:

We therefore recommend that dedicated funding be made available to support organizations to meet AODA compliance standards.

To meet economy's needs is an infinitive and modifies a verb."to support" modifies made available and to meet modifies to support.
I think Dand E are wrong because of misplaced modifier also.Need expert to corroborate
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
what is OA? I am chose ans:D...it was between D/E. E throws this older people statement into the sentence.
does investments need to be plural or singular?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Send PM
I also think it is D, but i am not sure about the use of needs.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Between D and E, E misses parallelism by using the present tense -encourages - while the modal - would encourage - will make the construction a lot better. In addition, the use of - older - in E is badly chosen because intellectual matters such as participation in schemes is not age based. D is my choice

Can you clarify one two points

1) why B is wrong here

B. can support federal objectives regarding the investments in meeting economy's future needs, and encourage older students for participation.

2) In the option b, do we require to repeat to be - can after comma and 'and' conjunction or can we take placement of 'can' implied before the verb encourage ? because if the repition is necessary then the same sentence has two different tenses within
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hirendhanak wrote:

1) why B is wrong here

B is not correct on multiple counts:

1. B uses encourage. We can interpret this in two ways:

a. …its new scheme will support X and (its new scheme) encourage Y. This is not correct construction, since you would expect the verb to be encourages (since scheme is singular).

b. …its new scheme can support X and (can) encourage Y. The issue here is more of logic. When Knowledge International (or anyone else for that matter) says something about its (own) scheme, can comes out as too in-definitive and non-committal a statement (think about it: Fed says its measures can improve US economy).

2. Changes the meaning of the original sentence, since older is not the same as mature.

p.s. I would strongly encourage test takers to not interpret would as hypothetical usage. For example, I will become a pilot is a correct usage, though at this point of time, it is still hypothetical (whether I finally end up becoming a pilot or not).

The best way to interpret would is when one talks about future from past perspective. In this case, Knowledge International said in the past (sentence, due to its typical construction, uses says, but this act of saying clearly occurred sometime in the past) something about future (that its scheme in future will do X and Y). Hence, would is the most appropriate usage here.
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [3]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos