Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
In for November Round
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
faro wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
Question about possible the optional essay... I have an employment gap of around 6 months. I was laid off, and used that time for a huge road trip, moved across country, and tried to launch a startup that failed. This is the experience I plan on writing about in essay 3. Since I will be addressing it there, I shouldn't use the optional essay correct? I mean, for other schools I plan on pushing this to the optional, but essay 3 here seems perfect to fully explain my setback and failure during my layoff/employment gap/failed venture and how I grew.

I think I answered my own question... Thanks! Excited to get started.

There you go! Good luck :)

Your application is reviewed as a whole, so no need to be repetitive.

I agree with dear Faro 100% regarding repetition.
However - just a thought:
Of course I am lacking some context here (might want to do some searching on EssaySnark or HBSGuru), but I have heard some folks caution against using layoff stories as "setback" stories unless you have a real compelling learning to share. Sounds like you may be focusing more on the failed startup (and glossing over the layoff) as your essay example. I might suggest writing that essay without feeling boxed into having to explain the employment gap - as you have space in the optional essay if required. If it all works together into a beautiful story that also explains any resume gaps, fabulous! But don't feel like you MUST put it all together. A simple 2-3 sentences on the employment gap in the optional essay would be sufficient too, in my opinion.

Thank you so much for the input! I'll wait until after I write the setback essay before deciding if I should add in an additional essay. I guess I have some more brainstorming before jumping into the setback.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Kudos
OjilEye wrote:

I wish had your courage and fortitude (or a fellow friend re-taking the GMAT) so that I had re-taken the GMAT as well :| my GMAT score was just on the cusp of a good enough score that wouldn't warrant a re-take...

...and yet, it was only my 1st try. and my Quant percentile was low... 76%. I took it so early on too, back at the end of April! Now it's early July and I'm kicking myself for not having given it one more shot.
Maybe I should still take it? Sigh... tougher to say now, now that essay questions are being released across bschools...

Honestly, if I had your breakdown, I would not have retaken the GMAT. A 730 is above the average at *every* bschool. My original quant was just so low in comparison to what I was getting in practice exams that I *knew* if I were to immediately retake the exam, I would have done better.

I wouldn't stress over it at this point, but it's your choice to make.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Date: 09-29-2012
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
In for EA...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm in too for the EA. Just started writing essays and I'm suffering a serious case of writer's block :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Reapplicant, back for EA!

Cheers,
WanderLust

I will not be denied. Or waitlisted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
MBAWanderlust wrote:
Reapplicant, back for EA!

Cheers,
WanderLust

I will not be denied. Or waitlisted.

Love the resilience - good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Prudence wrote:
I'm in too for the EA. Just started writing essays and I'm suffering a serious case of writer's block :)

I was in that exact spot last week. You'll power through! 8-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with Faro about the retake. I got a 710 with a Q44, and somehow it just didn't feel right. I felt like I was sitting on a fence, so I'm glad I re took it and ironed things out. Bottom line: If you have the time and you honestly feel that your score/breakdown was not an honest reflection of your ability, there's nothing stopping you from a retake.

Pru
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
in for EA
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Prudence wrote:
I agree with Faro about the retake. I got a 710 with a Q44, and somehow it just didn't feel right. I felt like I was sitting on a fence, so I'm glad I re took it and ironed things out. Bottom line: If you have the time and you honestly feel that your score/breakdown was not an honest reflection of your ability, there's nothing stopping you from a retake.

Pru

Just to add to this point Tuck allows you to report up to two test scores. I only see this as advantageous to take it at least twice. You don't have to report both but a second score helps if one or both areas improve.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
kingfalcon wrote:
Prudence wrote:

I was in that exact spot last week. You'll power through! 8-)

Thanks kingfalcon!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
WE:Corporate Finance (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Count me in. I am targeting the schools in Northeast regions like Sloan, Tuck and Stern.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys,

do you plan to combine the school visit and the interview in one single trip to Hanover? Any ideas on this?

Plus, any idea about the form of recommendation letter of the school?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JNC913 wrote:
Hey guys,

do you plan to combine the school visit and the interview in one single trip to Hanover? Any ideas on this?

Thanks!

I did this. I live on the West Coast so visiting multiple times wouldn't have been very easy. I would recommend scheduling the interview after everything else (classroom visit, lunch, Q&A, etc) so you can speak to things from your visit. Keep in mind that many of the questions will be similar to the essay questions, so be sure to have a general idea of what you're going to write about.

I'm not sure if they compare what you say in the interview with what you ultimately submit in your application, but I interviewed in November and was planning to submit my app in January. So when I sat there and got a career goals type question, I froze for a moment and realized, "Uh oh, my story better match up even though I haven't even started working on my essays yet."

The remaining questions are pretty behavioral and the interviewer tries to set you at ease from the very beginning. It is pretty conversational and is a good opportunity for you to get to know the type of students at Tuck. Then you can use information from the visit/interview in your application.

Not sure about the recommendations, so I'll let someone else speak to that.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
faro wrote:
JNC913 wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!

I did this. I live on the West Coast so visiting multiple times wouldn't have been very easy. I would recommend scheduling the interview after everything else (classroom visit, lunch, Q&A, etc) so you can speak to things from your visit. Keep in mind that many of the questions will be similar to the essay questions, so be sure to have a general idea of what you're going to write about.

I'm not sure if they compare what you say in the interview with what you ultimately submit in your application, but I interviewed in November and was planning to submit my app in January. So when I sat there and got a career goals type question, I froze for a moment and realized, "Uh oh, my story better match up even though I haven't even started working on my essays yet."

The remaining questions are pretty behavioral and the interviewer tries to set you at ease from the very beginning. It is pretty conversational and is a good opportunity for you to get to know the type of students at Tuck. Then you can use information from the visit/interview in your application.

Not sure about the recommendations, so I'll let someone else speak to that.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Faro. So you were saying that we don't have to submit the app before going for the interview? My thought was that I would have to submit everything prior to my interview so that the school would be able to evaluate me and ask questions in a more specific way. Does the school allow both ways of submitting?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JNC913 wrote:
Thanks for the reply Faro. So you were saying that we don't have to submit the app before going for the interview? My thought was that I would have to submit everything prior to my interview so that the school would be able to evaluate me and ask questions in a more specific way. Does the school allow both ways of submitting?

Yep, you can go both ways on it. In fact, when I asked if there is any harm in doing the interview prior to submitting, they mentioned that I could use experiences from my visit in my application.

The interviews are done by 2nd year students who don't see anything but your resume that you submit beforehand. So all you need to have ready is your resume. But even with that things can change - in the 2 months between my interview and when I submitted my app, I had additional accomplishments at work to include.

Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  60   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts