Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 862 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
DLMD:

Congratulations and please do write your test prep and your test experience.....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

CELEBRATIONS!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
:done

congratulations!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great score DLMD. Very happy for you and tell us more after you've celebrated! :woohoo
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [0]
Send PM
Re: Finally, 730 Q50, V38, 97% [#permalink]
DLMD wrote:
Just took my test this morning, got 730 (my last attempt was 690 back in Feb.). Cannot compare to these experts who score over 750, but I guess finally I could say bye bye to GMAT :-D :-D

I will post my experience later, got to play some poker first :-D

I benefited a lot from this forum, thanks for all your intelligent post. Special thanks for HongHu, and Paul, thanks for all you wonderful explanations!!

Congratulations DLMD. Great Job!!! Please post your experience. Tell us a little bit about the GMAT Verbal section please. Your' timing, type of questions [SC], how were the RC, how much time you had for the last 10-12 questions. What was your strike rate like?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1448 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
perfect !!! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
[#permalink]
:wave

Good Job!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats. Great score!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for all the congrats, you guys are really sweet :-D :-D

Be honest, I am still a little bitter about not getting over 750. But anyways, I think I am done with GMAT.

Because Math has always been my strength, so I don't have any comments on how to prepare Qs. My prep for GMAT can be simplified as prep for Verbal. Since I came from China, I hope my experience can benefit someone like me whose native language is not English.

I started my GMAT prep back in last Nov. I started by using Kaplan, which I believe can give me an idea about the test and provide me with some test taking tips. After I finished Kaplan and its Verbal book, I felt its usefulness was below my expectation. It might be good for someone who is a native speaker, but for someone like me who lacks English fundamentals, such tips and strategies won't work out for every question.

After Kaplan, I did OG. My scoring range for OG at that time was 70% for CR, 60-70% for SC, and around 50% for RC. I felt CR was much easier compare to RC and SC. Back then, RC was my worst nightmare. I am ok with these business passages because of my major, but these social science passages, such as women's rights or African Americans history, drove me nuts and made me exhausted every time I practice. Because I only can spend few hours a week to study (work full time and own a business), I decided to dump RC and focus mainly on CR and SC (which I later realized was totally wrong). I guessed half of the RCs on my first attempt, resulting V31 and 690 score.

I was very disappointed about the score. I tried to study right after my first attempt but I was not in the mood and no matter what I do, I couldn't improve my SC and RCs. It seemed like I reached a bottleneck. I gave myself a month break, and resumed my study at beginning of April.

This time, I started by using a Chinese version GMAT SC book. This book outlined most common mistakes Chinese student would encounter, and give a crash course on GMAT English. I would strongly suggest people get a GMAT prep book in their own language, because it has YOU as the main target, not like OG, which targets native English speaker. After couple weeks of practice, my SC improved dramatically to 85-90% range.

In addition, I started to practice lots of RC. My goal is not to practice RC techniques but mainly to develop my patient. It was really a headache at beginning, but after 10 sets of practice, I realize I am not scared of RC anymore. I can finish RCs without panic. By then, RC is just a passage which I have to read thru, who cares whether it is interesting or not? Don't feel the passage, just read it and find the answers. Trust me, if you approach RC as a third person outside "YOU" and the passage, you will find RC is pretty easy. Surprisingly, I can consistently score over 85% on RCs. This is really unbelievable; consider it was my worst enemy before.

One more thing, I think mental part plays a huge factor on GMAT. Don't push yourself too hard; if you cannot study anymore, just take a break. Don't hate GMAT, learn to have a positive attitude towards it: Treat GMAT as a way to build up your toughness and a good learning opportunity. Don't over study the day before your test, because one day of preparation won't be enough anyways. Treat the test as a practice, so you won't be that nervous. Relax before your D-day, and you will have a better mood for your test.

I believe everyone can score over 700 on GMAT, it's just a reflection of how much efforts you put and what kind of strategy you implement. Everyone has his/her strength and weakness; it's all about how you make it balance. If one attempt doesn't work out, it's fine. Don't get hard on yourself, re-evaluate and do it again. If I can do it, you can do it too.

Best luck to you all

DLMD
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
DLMD,

Thanx for your impresive story and inspiring suggestions.

Himalaya
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
[#permalink]
DLMD

Congragulations....awsome score.....good luck on the apps....

please come back to share your prep story....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
hi [#permalink]
Hi DLMD
Congrats !!
Can u pls share what were the books and resources u used while preparation....esp. verbal.
How tough were RCs n SCs in real test??
Thanx
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: hi [#permalink]
satya123 wrote:
Hi DLMD
Congrats !!
Can u pls share what were the books and resources u used while preparation....esp. verbal.
How tough were RCs n SCs in real test??
Thanx

for V, I started with Kaplan, then OG, then two chinese version GMAT SC and RC books.

in the real test, I felt RC was about the same (maybe my V is not in the high bin). CR is ok, 1 boldface, and no tricky questions. I think SC is harder in the real test than OG. Besides the first 2 SCs, all my SC have long underlines, so I suggest you to prepare accordinately.
Director
Director
Send PM
DLMD wrote:
for V, I started with Kaplan, then OG, then two chinese version GMAT SC and RC books.

in the real test, I felt RC was about the same (maybe my V is not in the high bin). CR is ok, 1 boldface, and no tricky questions. I think SC is harder in the real test than OG. Besides the first 2 SCs, all my SC have long underlines, so I suggest you to prepare accordinately.

by the way, DLMD, is that chinese book available in english (or devnagari :wink:) version since everybodi is talking about that book? i believe it must be excellent one.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
HIMALAYA wrote:
DLMD wrote:

by the way, DLMD, is that chinese book available in english (or devnagari :wink:) version since everybodi is talking about that book? i believe it must be excellent one.

well, Himalaya, the answer to your question is yes and no..

In some extent, the chinese book is in English. If you have these SC 800 question sets or SC 1000 from the SC bank, I would say 90% of these questions are from (or same) the Chinese book.

but it's not 100% in English, cuz for these SC sets you downloaded online, there are no explanations. The Chinese book does provide explanation, which make the job much easier for me whoes English sux even I have been in the states for 9 years.

If you could find some gmat book in your own language, I think that definitely will help you a lot.

good luck bro!!!

btw, you said everyone is talking about that book? really?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats on your achievement, DLMD. Goodluck with your applications.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1472 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats DLMD. It is wonderful to hear that you did well.
Best wishes for your application. I will PM you sometime, we can talk about applying.

Best wishes once again
nocilis
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts