Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1074 [132]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC
 Q48  V32
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [97]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32860 [23]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 245 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each of whi [#permalink]
I think C is not correct as this does not have any verb, making this a fragment.
I have another doubt regarding "Workers that protect her", Here workers are plural and that is singular and workers should be modify with who not that. Please explain.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1546 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each of whi [#permalink]
Kudos
sandal85 wrote:
I think C is not correct as this does not have any verb, making this a fragment.
I have another doubt regarding "Workers that protect her", Here workers are plural and that is singular and workers should be modify with who not that. Please explain.

Your understand about "that" is totally wrong. THAT in this case is the relative pronoun, so THAT can modify WORKERS in order to make more clear meaning "what are workers doing?". Your understanding: "THAT is singular, worker is plural" is wrong. Moreover, WORKERS here are animals, not people => cannot use WHO.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sandal85 wrote:
Quote:

The question of ---that-----What is the worry about something that is not underlined? An unnecessary concern about unwanted things will drain our energies in the exam hall. However, to clear the haze, a restrictive pronoun just assumes the characteristics of the noun it touches, singular, or plural notwithstanding. As has been mentioned, rats cannot be referred with who, a word reserved for human beings.

C. each colony consisting

Choice C: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each colony consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her

This is a simple sentence with a single subject ( rats) and a single verb ( form) and a modifier- each colony consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her- ( modifiers can be phrases with just ideas and need not be full fledged clauses.) Therefore, C is not a fragment
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
In E, the structure is totally changed. E is a compound sentence using two clauses and joining them with the conjunction – and -. In a compound sentence, you do need minimum two subjects and two verbs. (You can skip the subject for the second cluse, if the same subject of the first clause can stand good for the second)

E. and each colony consisting; Here the second clause after the –and - has a subject - each colony - but no verb; consisting is not a verb but a present participle; So, E is a fragment
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
sandal85 wrote:
Quote:

The question of ---that-----What is the worry about something that is not underlined? An unnecessary concern about unwanted things will drain our energies in the exam hall. However, to clear the haze, a restrictive pronoun just assumes the characteristics of the noun it touches, singular, or plural notwithstanding. As has been mentioned, rats cannot be referred with who, a word reserved for human beings.

Choice C: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each colony consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her

This is a simple sentence with a single subject ( rats) and a single verb ( form) and a modifier- each colony consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her- ( modifiers can be phrases with just ideas and need not be full fledged clauses.) Therefore, C is not a fragment

Hi daagh,
Is each colony consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her an absolute phrase or appositive?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [12]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
An absolute phrase modifier as the name implies (just a phrase, not a clause and hence will have no verb) is a group of words that describe some action or gives additional info about something it mostly follows or modifies. It is never conjugated with a conjunction such as which or and in order to conncet it to the main clause except by a comma. An absolute phrase embraces the entire preceding clause, explaining some function or nature
On the contrary an appositive is a synonym of a noun or some noun theme, and even one can replace the modified noun with the modified. In addition, the appositive modifier is just placed next to the noun it modifies, either before or after.

Let us now apply this theory.

The modifier has no verb; it is not conjugated with a conjunction but is connected with a comma. The modifier describes the nature of composition of the colonies in question. You cannot replace the any part of the previous clause, with the modifier by itself. In addition, the modifier does not follow its noun so the given phrase is an absolute modifier rather than an appositive.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
in the sentence A "Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each of which consists of a single reprroductive female" - here which represents animals right?since "of approximately 20 animals" is a prepositional phrase can't which jump and refer to colonies correctly?

I have seen in few questions where which jumps after the prepostional phrase, if the meaning is correct..can someone explain the rule of which??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi,
Skamal

I have attached a file that I have prepared on this topic; Pl see if that helps you
Attachments

16 the usage of relative pronouns ; touch rule.doc [40.5 KiB]
Downloaded 770 times

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
(A) each of which consists --- This is a run-on sentence, as only a comma separates the two ICs. In this structure, ‘each’ is the subject of the second IC and of which is a middleman.
(B) with each of them consisting --- The problem is the reference of ‘them’
(C)each colony consisting --- correct choice
(D)and each of them consist--- 1. SV error and 2. Pronoun ambiguity
(E) and each colony consisting --- fragment
Of course, choices A, B and D can be dropped because of pronoun ambiguity, although logically one might argue that either ‘which’ or ‘them’ simply stands for only colonies. Neither each of the rats nor the animals can individually have a single reproductive female and workers within themselves, while the colonies each can very well have both the features. But when there is such a blatant gap between existing structure and intended logic, I think it is safe to keep off.
But more importantly, why is C better than E? It is because of the correct grammatical structure. C is a simple sentence, consisting of a subject, a verb primarily and then a modifier that gives some more info about the previous clause. This is a concise acceptable structure.
In E, on the other hand, the structure is totally defective. We are trying to form a compound sentences with two ICs, with the help of a coordinating conjunction ’and’. But the second IC is no IC but a phrase without a verb. So this portion is a fragment. So Ace99 is indeed correct, if he wants to call E a fragment, but A as a run-on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Bookmarks
Sadly I got it wrong. I have two questions :

First, why the correct answer is not a run-on sentence? The modifier connect to the main clause without any coordinator conjunction, so why it is not a run-on?
Second, where is the main verb for the modifier clause? Isn't it a fragment? ( I assumed that the correct answer is a fragment since there is no main verb in the modifier clause)

Can you please help me out.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [4]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
zazoz wrote:
Sadly I got it wrong. I have two questions :

First, why the correct answer is not a run-on sentence? The modifier connect to the main clause without any coordinator conjunction, so why it is not a run-on?
Second, where is the main verb for the modifier clause? Isn't it a fragment? ( I assumed that the correct answer is a fragment since there is no main verb in the modifier clause)

Can you please help me out.

Coordinating conjunction is required only for connecting 2 sentences or independent clauses . Modifiers do not need any such connecting word.
The main verb is required to be present in a dependent or independent clause {complete sentence)
a modifer can also be a single word (no verb required)
Tubby, my cat, is so lazy {my cat is the modifier)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each of whi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each of which consists of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her

A. each of which consists
B. with each of them consisting
D. and each of them consist
E. and each colony consisting

Meaning : 1.Naked moles form colonies of 20 animals .
2.Each of the colonies consists of a female and workers .

Sentence splitting :

1. Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals ,each of

2. Which consists of a single reproductive female and workers

3. that defend her

Error Analysis :

All S-V pair are correct ------ correct
Verb ---- sentence stating fact , so all verbs are in present tense .---correct

Here , In " each of which ..... " modifier .

" Each "is referring to colonies , and " which " is referring to " each " ------- makes perfect sense .

So , at first glance , I could not find any error in original sentence .

POE :

a. no error .
b. " them " could be referring to animals . ----wrong
c. is better than choice a .
d. S-V error , each of them --- singular subject , but "consist " ---plural verb
e. no verb for the subject " each .."

Here my question is :
Choice A as such does not have any error , but choice C is correct as it is better constructed than choice A .
According to gmat-prep explanation , " each ... " is referring to animals ,hence choice A is incorrect , but as per my understanding how an animal can contain a female and worker ?? .

Is my analysis is correct ?? .

Thanks,
Deepak
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [4]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals,each of whic [#permalink]
Kudos