Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink]
I am looking at applying to a full time MBA program, but I am already enrolled in a part time MBA program. Should I report this information on my application? I feel that if I do, they would think, "you are already getting a MBA, so why do you want a full time MBA" and deny admission. About half way done with part time program.

Do schools try to find this out and if so, is it this something they can obtain through Kroll or National Student Clearninghouse? Would they rescind admission offer?

Thanks everyone for the insights.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Yes, it's pretty easy for a school to find out about your educational history so I wouldn't advise you to lie about it. Most full-time programs have rules specifying whether they accept applications from people in part-time or executive MBA programs, so I'd recommend looking into those details for any full-time programs you're considering.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Does anyone know how far Kroll goes back on your resume as far as employment history is concerned? I know they check your current employment and recommenders but do they also contact your previous employers. I have around 12 years of experience and I jsut foudn out that two of the companies that I worked for years ago have been closed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM
This is my favorite thread. So much of it is painfully obvious that people lied heavily on their applications and want to see if it's going to hurt them. Or they want to see how much they can lie and get away with. Hilarious.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
mk0991 wrote:
Does anyone know how far Kroll goes back on your resume as far as employment history is concerned? I know they check your current employment and recommenders but do they also contact your previous employers. I have around 12 years of experience and I jsut foudn out that two of the companies that I worked for years ago have been closed.

I guarantee you're not the first applicant who's ever worked for a company that went under. Kroll won't have any trouble finding out whatever the school asks them to find out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
hypermeganet wrote:
This is my favorite thread. So much of it is painfully obvious that people lied heavily on their applications and want to see if it's going to hurt them. Or they want to see how much they can lie and get away with. Hilarious.

I agree that there could be guys here who are in that camp. However, there are also posters who are anxious about these checks because there are possible areas that aren't necessarily verifiable from a quick phone call.

Simply put, I think that it is best that all applicants put their best foot forward but also make sure that everything they write is also verifiable if it ever came to that point too. That way they won't have to freak out about these checks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hi everyone,

About two years ago I founded my own company, which I've sold recently, during that period I also worked for some months in a large Bank. I'm about to begin my applications and I don't know what to do about it. What would the adcoms think about someone who had a full-time job and manged a business at the same time ? Should I omit that I worked for a bank? I don't live in the United States, so I don't know how does the background check works for foreign applicants and how far it goes with the investigations. Whould it be a serious ommission?

What do you guys think?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
Does Kroll verify employment with the manager/recommender or through your HR dept (for large companies). I'm asking this because for my previous job, I wasn't getting paid by that company...it was through a contract through an outside party. I had the same responsibilities as the regular employees, same managers, same title, etc.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
They will call your recommenders just to make aure that they wrote the letters. For employment verification, you need to give a number where they can call. I would give your manager's number and also let school know that you were not getting paid. They have staff or a tie-up with someone in pretty much all the countries.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
How about background checks for International students, how does kroll go about doing those, as I am sure its much harder to get info.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
For Kroll, are you able to give your manager's information as a way for them to verify title / salary / etc.? Or does it have to be HR? I don't want to tell HR quite yet since it would definitely hurt my promotion chances...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
malk1 wrote:
How about background checks for International students, how does kroll go about doing those, as I am sure its much harder to get info.

I'm also interested in this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
rodrigomezt wrote:
Hi everyone,

About two years ago I founded my own company, which I've sold recently, during that period I also worked for some months in a large Bank. I'm about to begin my applications and I don't know what to do about it. What would the adcoms think about someone who had a full-time job and manged a business at the same time ? Should I omit that I worked for a bank? I don't live in the United States, so I don't know how does the background check works for foreign applicants and how far it goes with the investigations. Whould it be a serious ommission?

What do you guys think?

Same boat. Founded a startup, sold it two years in. While at the same time had a FT job in banking in Europe. I was honest about it both in my apps and interview. "There was no way i could afford food if I didn't hold a full time job while my startup was in incubation mode". Since that was the truth, it was really up to the bschool to believe me or not. I assume they did since I've been accepted.

I was ready to provide as much info regarding my startup (registration papers, news articles, etc).

Don't sweat it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Send PM
shmirill wrote:
malk1 wrote:

I'm also interested in this.

Seeing how most business schools have student bodies that are >30% international, I'm pretty sure Kroll has experience getting the information they need regardless of your work or educational background. If they can't find something they'll ask you for assistance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
For my part-time job that I did when I was in school, they also contributed to my tuition. Can I include that in my salary ?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
To add another question to the stressful, yet probably no reason to stress about it, background check thread...

Does anyone know if they get access to your work's performance reviews? Obviously, they verify the company, title, salary, etc, but anything more than that?

I realize there are a bunch of applicants/matriculating folks to review so I'm 99.9% sure the answer to my question is "no" just based on resources/time, but I wanted to check just to be sure!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Not a concern but more an annoyance but does anybody else find it kind of odd/obnoxious that you have to pay for your own background check? I mean I had to pay to apply to school, pay a fortune in tuition now that I'm accepting and then I have to pay for the school to investigate my application for them. It was only $25 but still, just struck me as really strange to have to pay for them to verify what I told them.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16