Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Tier 2 Admission consultant [#permalink]
So based on your post, it appears like you've researched most of the consultants active here, so let's not go there..I would strongly advise you not to go for a 'Tier 2 Admission consultant' as you put it simply because you get what you pay for, which in this case might end up in rueful thoughts of lost opportunities for you.

Having said that, I would suggest that you save your bucks, put your head down, start writing essays on your own and once you're at a stage when you feel that you can't write anything better, use an essay editing service like essaycritique, essaysnark et al. A lot of these essay editing services are created by b-school alums who do this work part-time for the benefit of applicants (seeing the incredible amounts charged by admission consultants). Now these services are exactly what they advertise; they will only edit your essays for structure, content and style. They will tell you what's not adding value to your essays, what's redundant and what is good. What they don't and cannot tell you is what you can 'add' to an essay to make it better. They are not going to help you 'tease out your story' as some consultants like to put it. It will be a quick job, but one that would most likely give you very strong inputs on how to make your essays far better.

I've come across people who totally swear by essaycritique. It was started by b-school grads from the top 5 schools so they've been there, done that and are now offering their help at much much lower costs.

So just to make it clear... I'm not advertising any of the essay editing services out here. I'm merely suggesting them as an alternative set of services that are available to you so long as you can ensure that you are at least confident of your story and are bringing out all the right points (albeit in not the most effective way) on your own...
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
snipes wrote:
finmaster wrote:
Do you really need an admissions consultant that bad?

Posts like this truly serve no purpose other than attempt to demean the poster. There is a long thread on consultants with plenty of reasoned debate on both sides. But just to guffaw that- GASP- someone might want, or need, some help with their application due to a variety of factors is utterly pointless.

My point was simple, mate.

If you want quality, you must shell out the moolah.

I don't see what good a 'tier 2' consultant would do.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
finmaster wrote:
snipes wrote:
finmaster wrote:
Do you really need an admissions consultant that bad?

Posts like this truly serve no purpose other than attempt to demean the poster. There is a long thread on consultants with plenty of reasoned debate on both sides. But just to guffaw that- GASP- someone might want, or need, some help with their application due to a variety of factors is utterly pointless.

My point was simple, mate.

If you want quality, you must shell out the moolah.

I don't see what good a 'tier 2' consultant would do.

That might have been the point you wanted to make, but it wasn't the one you originally made.
GMAT Club Bot