Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [540]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: MBA Rankings: All 2024 Rankings [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
From Forbes (Posted Today)

https://management.fortune.cnn.com/2011/ ... nce-again/

Quote:
This year's Poets&Quants B-school rankings are in and, you guessed it, Harvard takes top honors. A look at this year's winners and losers.
By John A. Byrne, contributor

Harvard Business School takes the top spot in this year's Poets&Quants ranking of the best MBA programs in the U.S.
(Poets&Quants) -- Dimming employment prospects on Wall Street may be causing some jitters on campus, but the mood at Harvard Business School is decidedly upbeat. Many students came back from their summer internships with lucrative job offers in hand, and for the first time in the school's history, the entire first year class of some 900-plus MBA students is about to embark next month on an eight-day global immersion experience.
"We are feeling the pressure of final exams and projects," says Jehan deFonseka, a second-year student who is also editor of The Harbus, the B-school's student newspaper. "One of my professors, Joe Lassiter, gave us the advice, 'Die exhausted, not bored.' So far, this year has lived up to that belief."
And now the school is about to get a pre-holiday present of sorts. For the second consecutive year, Harvard bested all other business schools for the distinction of best MBA program in the U.S., according to a new ranking by PoetsandQuants.
This new P&Q list is a composite of the five major MBA rankings published by Bloomberg BusinessWeek, The Economist, The Financial Times, Forbes, and U.S. News & World Report. The ranking takes into account a massive wealth of quantitative and qualitative data captured in the five major lists, from surveys of corporate recruiters, MBA graduates, deans and faculty publication records to median GPA and GMAT scores of entering students as well as the salary and employment statistics of the latest graduating class.
Top 10 MBA programs in the U.S.
By blending these rankings using a system that takes into account each of their strengths as well as their flaws, we've come up with what is arguably the most authoritative ranking of MBA programs published. The list, which includes the recently released 2011 rankings by The Economist, tends to eliminate anomalies and other statistical distortions that often occur in a single ranking. In any case, the ranking measures the overall quality and reputation of the flagship full-time MBA programs at the schools, rather than the schools themselves.
Right behind Harvard is a familiar group of world-renowned schools whose graduates have long represented the best and brightest in business. Stanford Graduate School of Business is second, the University of Chicago's Booth School of Business is third, the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School is fourth, and New York's Columbia Business School rounds out the top five.
Among the top 10, eight schools retained their rankings from last year. The two exceptions: MIT Sloan moved up to a fifth place tie with Columbia Business School, up from eighth place last year, largely due to a significantly improved ranking from Forbes. Dartmouth College's Tuck School, despite receiving a No. 1 rank from The Economist this year, slipped two places to No. 8 from sixth place this previous year, primarily because the school fell several places in the rival Forbes ranking.
Compared to most other rankings, the P&Q analysis leads to a far more stable list. Only 11 of the 100 ranked U.S. schools experienced double-digit changes. In some other rankings as many as one out of three or four schools randomly dive or rise by 10 or more places in a 12-month period, even though there have been no significant changes in the quality of the schools. In the P&Q ranking, not a single MBA program ranked in the top 25 had a double-digit increase or decline. In fact, 16 of the 25 schools had no changes in rank at all and another three schools moved just one place up or down.
Who's up, who's down?
Among the top-tier 25 schools, the most notable improvements occurred at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, which moved up six places to a rank of 24 from No. 30 a year ago, and at Vanderbilt University's Owen School, which inched up three spots to 25 from 28 a year earlier. New York University's Stern School, meantime, slipped three positions to a rank of 15 this year from 18 in 2010.
Bigger changes were most likely to occur further down the list, where the qualitative differences among the business schools aren't nearly as great as they are at the top of the ranking. So small changes often can cause outsize results because the schools are so close together in overall quality -- especially "quality" as it can be discerned by an external ranking. In these cases, the most significant changes tended to occur at schools that were either added or dropped from one of the major rankings in the past year.
Washington University's Olin School, for example, plummeted 15 places to No. 41 from 26 because it fell off the top 100 list compiled by The Financial Times and lost ground in two other rankings by Forbes and U.S. News & World Report. Similarly, Ohio State's Fisher School of Business climbed 14 spots by improving in the Forbes ranking and getting onto both The Economist and The Financial Times' rankings. The school had been excluded from those lists a year earlier.
Strong getting even stronger
By and large, these top schools have fared well through the economic downturn and the continued global uncertainty. Though applications have been declining at many leading schools, the starting pay packages for this year's graduating classes were up, along with job offers. At Dartmouth's Tuck School, Havard, and Columbia, 97% of the students had job offers within three months of graduation. And at most schools, the incoming crop of this year's newest students was among the best ever as judged by their GMAT scores and work experience. At Harvard, the median starting salary of a class of 2011 graduate hit $120,000, up from $110,000 a year earlier. And one Stanford MBA landed a hedge fund job in the Northeast that paid the freshly minted graduate a guaranteed bonus of half a million dollars.
Harvard's road to reform
The Harvard honor comes at an opportune time. HBS Dean Nitin Nohira is in the midst of a highly ambitious effort to update the Harvard MBA experience. The curriculum changes are lessening the school's dependence on its previously sacrosanct case method of teaching that has been the dominant pedagogy at HBS since the mid-1920s. The most significant of these alterations has been the introduction of a new first-year course called FIELD (Field Immersion Experiences for Leadership Development). Based on small-group learning experiences that focus on leadership, global business and entrepreneurship, the course puts the focus on learning by doing.
Most daunting for the institution and the faculty is that Harvard has had to line up some 150 organizations willing to give meaningful project work during the January term to 900-plus MBA students in countries as varied as Vietnam, India and China for an eight-day global immersion experience. The whole idea has some rival deans wondering about the outcome.
"What's unique is that it's required," says Robert Bruner, dean of the University of Virginia's Darden School. "Every student will have to do it. It's a big deal. I admire and applaud Harvard. The question is, will this exercise speak to the students? We'll find out. I'm rooting for them, and I admire their audacity."
So far, there has been some student grumbling over their forthcoming project assignments. But overall, the new curriculum changes have been received positively, say students. If The Harbus' deFonseka were handing out HBS grades, which are done by number instead of letters, he would give Dean Nohira a low 1, equal to an A-.
"He has been a very visible dean, and has been open in communicating his plans with students," deFonseka says. "He and his team have been pretty responsive when students have had problems with the new curriculum -- for example, their FIELD location assignments. There is work left to improve the new curriculum, as one would expect, but the direction that HBS is going is definitely the right one."

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
frankly, Poets and Quants seems to have a thing against Wharton..

I dont believe chicago out does wharton..the prestige of wharton is simply something booth will never have.

it goes without saying, top three are going to H/S/W followed by Booth, Kellogg, Columbia, Tuck,

bigdeal1 wrote:
I like the P&Q rankings, it seems reasonable, as it combines the five major MBA rankings - Economist, FT, BW, Forbes, and U.S. News.
Too bad it doesn't include schools outside US.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Kudos
FN wrote:
frankly, Poets and Quants seems to have a thing against Wharton..

I dont believe chicago out does wharton..the prestige of wharton is simply something booth will never have.

it goes without saying, top three are going to H/S/W followed by Booth, Kellogg, Columbia, Tuck,

P&Q doesn't have an opinion... its just an index. That said, I think some schools are short-changed by BW simply because of the consideration set that employers use when considering schools. Many employers don't look at 20 schools... they maybe look at 5-6. So if a school like NYU is being compared to their consideration set of H/W/B/C, they're not going to look so hot... but really they're a top 5 school if you're doing finance. A lower ranked school isn't going to get a bad rating, because it isn't even going to be compared. However, if that lower ranked school is in some nice space where it excels, that part of the school will be expressed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I suggest a dis-listing of economist ranking, it's not objective...
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Based off some quick calculations I did earlier that I’m not claiming to be error-free, the just released Financial Times rankings should cause a little bit of movement in the cumulative GMATCLUB Fulltime MBA rankings. (I only looked at the Top 20, not all the way down)

Chicago Booth down 1 to 3rd
Stanford up 1 to 2nd

Dartmouth Tuck down 1 to 9th
Northwestern Kellogg up 1 to 8th

Yale SOM down 2 to 15th
Cornell Johnson was tied with YALE for 13th, now tied for 12th with NYU Stern
Michigan Ross up 1 to 14th

Carnegie Mellon Tepper up 1 to tie for 16th with UCLA Anderson

& Texas McCombs up 1 to tie for 18th with Emory Goizueta

Not that any of this matters in the least. :roll:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Thanks for sharing, but still believe it should only be a reference point. I would not pick one of the Top10 BS if i am not interested in the major it has.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Does anyone have a historical trends of the rankings over last 10-30 years?

The more I look into it, I realize that rankings do change a lot over time.
For example, 10 years ago, currently strong Kellogg used to be much stronger (in terms of rankings), and stanford was not considered top 1/2 etc. Who knows what'll happen in 10 years from now? I guess it validates the statement that rankings do matter in the short term, but in the long run, personal achievements trumphs the MBA brand.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
gmatmba1 wrote:
Does anyone have a historical trends of the rankings over last 10-30 years?

The more I look into it, I realize that rankings do change a lot over time.
For example, 10 years ago, currently strong Kellogg used to be much stronger (in terms of rankings), and stanford was not considered top 1/2 etc. Who knows what'll happen in 10 years from now? I guess it validates the statement that rankings do matter in the short term, but in the long run, personal achievements trumphs the MBA brand.

That's a solid point; I have personally never looked at b-school rankings older than, say, 2007 or so, and it interests me to think that Stanford may have consistently found itself on the outside looking in or that Kellogg had slowly slipped its power grip. I'm particularly interested in Yale's trend over the next decade or so, as well as even Johns Hopkins business school which isn't on anyone's radar at the moment, but carries with it a significant brand name recognition.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
Send PM
PranavChamp wrote:
this economist rankings look weird :o
Indeed, I am so confused about they putting VU and LMD before HBS, what is going on here? Have those 2rd,or 3rd tier schools leaped so much thus surpassed Ivey schools, I would like to see the components of ranking metrics.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thanks but this ranking is seriously FLAWED. You are comparing apples to oranges.

1) You only Rank US schools but include international ranking sources such as Economist and FT that include international schools.
2) You need to adjust your ranking and this is how you do it. Take out non-US schools from Economist and FT and re-rank them. For example, Columbia would be ranked #4 rather than #5 from FT and MIT Sloan would be ranked #5 rather than #7.
3) If you'll rank non-US schools, you can only use Economist and FT as your source (not credible sources), because US News and BusinessWeek do not compile ranking that combined non-US schools with US schools.
4) Can you please adjust the rankings correctly? Your flawed ranking is being viewed by so many potential applicants. If you make these adjustments, your ranking will look materially different.
5) By the way, consider adding Forbes, Find the Best (https://business-schools.findthebest.com/), and TopMBA (https://www.topmba.com/mba-rankings/glob ... th-america) from QS Global 200 Business School Report 2012.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
The updated ranking is full of BS. Remove FT and Economist rankings please. Add back Forbes. Those British magazines know nothing about American schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [4]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos
Rankings according to our mothers:

#1: the school you got into and went to
#2-4: the schools you got into and ignored for #1
#5-250: the schools you didn't apply to
#251-252: the schools you got waitlisted at
#253-255: the schools you got rejected from

So much easier and the ranking doesn't vary from year to year!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [2]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thanks! Some programs have accelerated options.
There is a discussion on those here:

one-year-accelarated-mba-usa-guide-125904.html
https://gmatclub.com/blog/2011/09/is-a-o ... t-for-you/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Yeah, I wonder how the economist arrives at those results...Seems really off...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:University of Economics Prague
Send PM
sesamemochi wrote:
For anyone who actually uses the Economist rankings, the 2012 one is now out:

https://www.economist.com/whichmba/full-time-mba-ranking

The Economist's ranking is plain laughable. Anyone who knows something about the MBA programs will just ignore it. Virginia no.3??? Wharton no.13????!!! No need to elaborate further. I reckon that poets and quants does a pretty good job with its ranking.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
sesamemochi wrote:
For anyone who actually uses the Economist rankings

ha!!!

Although their writing is certainly the best..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
WE:Account Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
The combined ranking shows only US B schools. It would be more beneficial if it include all schools like FT rankings.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
aashishkachru wrote:
Could you tell me which universities would accept students without work ex? And would a gmat score of 540 cut it in anyof them?

There are many MBA programs willing to take your money, and give you a subpar product with little to no job prospects.

The main question I have is... why MBA, why now?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13