Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [3]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [4]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
Re: Loan Programs for International Students w/o US Co-Signer??? [#permalink]
Gokhra wrote:
finmaster wrote:
List of schools and whether they provide loans to international students without a US Co-Signer:

Harvard Yes
Stanford Yes
Wharton Yes
Chicago Booth Yes
Kellogg Yes
MIT Sloan Yes
Columbia No
Yale Yes
Berkeley Haas Yes
Tuck Yes
NYU Stern Yes
Duke Fuqua Yes
Ross No
Cornell Johnson No

Cornell Johnson does provide no-cosigner loans for international students. This is clearly stated on their website.

A couple of other top schools that belong in that list are Darden (University of Virginia) and Anderson (UCLA), both of which offer no-cosigner loans for internationals.

Thanks for the info. I've updated the list. :-D
Kellogg School Moderator
Send PM
The biggest disappointment comes from Columbia, though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [8]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Why would you want to attend a program that doesn't believe in supporting international students who do not as yet have the means to pay the hefty tuition fees? There's so much to be said about having a policy that advocates diversity on campus and actually putting it into practice. You will be better off spending the time you are gonna waste searching for a no US-co signer loan program on preparing for admission to a top program. Time is a valuable resource and you should put it to the best optimal use possible. I'd suggest that you cast your net wider and apply to schools which actively supports int'l students and de-prioritize those schools which do not, like Columbia and Ross. You should add Olin Business School at Wash U to the list of schools which has a no US-co signer loan program in place as well. As a final piece of advice, do check back with the program before you submit your application that the loan program will be available to you, should you be successfully admitted to the school. Many int'l students were left stranded when Ross suddenly terminated its int'l student loan program well into the admission cycle this year. And quite a handful of them would not have applied to Ross had this intent been made known to them. So, be sure to do your due diligence!
Kellogg School Moderator
Send PM
slumdog1000000 wrote:
Why would you want to attend a program that doesn't believe in supporting international students who do not as yet have the means to pay the hefty tuition fees? There's so much to be said about having a policy that advocates diversity on campus and actually putting it into practice. You will be better off spending the time you are gonna waste searching for a no US-co signer loan program on preparing for admission to a top program. Time is a valuable resource and you should put it to the best optimal use possible. I'd suggest that you cast your net wider and apply to schools which actively supports int'l students and de-prioritize those schools which do not, like Columbia and Ross. You should add Olin Business School at Wash U to the list of schools which has a no US-co signer loan program in place as well. As a final piece of advice, do check back with the program before you submit your application that the loan program will be available to you, should you be successfully admitted to the school. Many int'l students were left stranded when Ross suddenly terminated its int'l student loan program well into the admission cycle this year. And quite a handful of them would not have applied to Ross had this intent been made known to them. So, be sure to do your due diligence!

Well, you do have a point. When a school like Columbia doesn't offer easy financing options to international students, while schools considered far lower in terms of reputation and all are offering the same, it does raise some suspicion about the school's intent over accepting international students.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
finmaster wrote:
slumdog1000000 wrote:

Well, you do have a point. When a school like Columbia doesn't offer easy financing options to international students, while schools considered far lower in terms of reputation and all are offering the same, it does raise some suspicion about the school's intent over accepting international students.

slumdog and finmaster,

I would be careful about "raising suspicion" about Columbia's intent regarding international students. If you check the facts, you will realize that CBS's student body includes 38% international students, more than many of the schools that actually do offer no-cosigner loans. CBS obviously has other resources that it trusts to entice some great international students to its applicant pool. A couple of things to consider:

- The fact that CBS has that many international students without offering the no-cosigner loan shows how strong the program actually is. Some lower ranked programs actually use no-cosigner loans to entice better quality international students. If anything, suspicions should be raised about the intents of these lower ranked schools. This is because the jobs international students get coming out of these programs, might not enable them to pay off the loans as easily.

- Many, if not most, of the admitted applicants to top programs have U.S. based cosigners. During my application process, I personally came across several such applicants on different forums.

As an international applicant, I do understand how frustrating this can be. But nothing is written in stone. In the middle of the last application season, Wharton closed its no-cosigner loan program only to restart it again in March of this year. Similarly, Ross had a no-cosigner loan available for those enrolling in 2011 but not for students enrolling this year. Who knows, maybe by the time you guys enroll in 2013, they might have the program back.

Keep checking with those programs that do not have a no-cosigner loan but did in the past. It might suddenly become available, although I doubt that will be the case with CBS.
Kellogg School Moderator
Send PM
Gokhra wrote:
finmaster wrote:
slumdog1000000 wrote:

slumdog and finmaster,

I would be careful about "raising suspicion" about Columbia's intent regarding international students. If you check the facts, you will realize that CBS's student body includes 38% international students, more than many of the schools that actually do offer no-cosigner loans. CBS obviously has other resources that it trusts to entice some great international students to its applicant pool. A couple of things to consider:

- The fact that CBS has that many international students without offering the no-cosigner loan shows how strong the program actually is. Some lower ranked programs actually use no-cosigner loans to entice better quality international students. If anything, suspicions should be raised about the intents of these lower ranked schools. This is because the jobs international students get coming out of these programs, might not enable them to pay off the loans as easily.

- Many, if not most, of the admitted applicants to top programs have U.S. based cosigners. During my application process, I personally came across several such applicants on different forums.

As an international applicant, I do understand how frustrating this can be. But nothing is written in stone. In the middle of the last application season, Wharton closed its no-cosigner loan program only to restart it again in March of this year. Similarly, Ross had a no-cosigner loan available for those enrolling in 2011 but not for students enrolling this year. Who knows, maybe by the time you guys enroll in 2013, they might have the program back.

Keep checking with those programs that do not have a no-cosigner loan but did in the past. It might suddenly become available, although I doubt that will be the case with CBS.

You couldn't be more correct.

Of course, Columbia is a great program and of course I'm going to apply. I don't know how am I gonna manage with the finances but you know what, chuck it, who cares? Will see what happens when and if I get in. Hopefully something or the other will work out.

Having said that, it does though pain my heart a bit to see a reputed program like Columbia's not supporting its international students enough. That's just it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Schools: Booth '14 (D)
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
Kudos
I would add the maximum loan size to your list. Though everyone is in different situation, there always exist a group of wannabes desiring to take full CoA as a loan. Frankly, I'm one of those. E.g. Stern provides only up to 45k loan to internationals with no US-cosigner. Tuck states that it does not provide full CoA loan though does not state the cap. If you have similar info on Kellog, Darden, Haas, I would very appreciate that
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [7]
Send PM
Kudos