Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Waiting for your evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
It is ok to not know exactly what you would like to do post-MBA. It is important to show that you have thought about it, that you have a clear direction and a clear understanding of why you need an MBA to get there, and that the career isn't coming out of left field in the context of your current experience.

The fact that you know you want to do something related to commercial banks in an international context is a great starting point. You have a couple different areas that you are interested in (risk management, treasury, BD), so you have a couple options. One is that you can write a strong narrative with the ultimate goal being slightly broad (working in a commercial bank in intl context), and you can explain that you wish to explore these areas. Alternatively, you can research these few areas now and just pick one that you feel most excited about. Remember that, ultimately, you do not have to go into the career you write about in your application. It is just important to be passionate about the career you choose to write about and show how everything in your life leads up to that career. It could very well change while you are in business school! So, figure out which narrative makes the most sense with your background and which also requires an MBA for success, and which you are excited about for the time being, and write that narrative.

Cheers,
Mili
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbaMissionMili wrote:
It is ok to not know exactly what you would like to do post-MBA. It is important to show that you have thought about it, that you have a clear direction and a clear understanding of why you need an MBA to get there, and that the career isn't coming out of left field in the context of your current experience.

The fact that you know you want to do something related to commercial banks in an international context is a great starting point. You have a couple different areas that you are interested in (risk management, treasury, BD), so you have a couple options. One is that you can write a strong narrative with the ultimate goal being slightly broad (working in a commercial bank in intl context), and you can explain that you wish to explore these areas. Alternatively, you can research these few areas now and just pick one that you feel most excited about. Remember that, ultimately, you do not have to go into the career you write about in your application. It is just important to be passionate about the career you choose to write about and show how everything in your life leads up to that career. It could very well change while you are in business school! So, figure out which narrative makes the most sense with your background and which also requires an MBA for success, and which you are excited about for the time being, and write that narrative.

Cheers,
Mili

Can I understand this career goal like that: If I can draft the career goals including short term and long term from one point which I can say something reasonable, and sounds like that MBA is the best way to realize it. It is a good point for short term and long term goal? Although I would change the goal after MBA~

Well I considered your suggestions about schools. Because I prefer a quiet place to study to a modern city. Although I really understand location near the WS is sooooooooo important for bank career, I must say NYU and CBS are not perfect places for me.
However, I must choose the schools which I have the larger possibility to enter, I still need your opinion based on my commercial banking dream......

Thank u ~~~~
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes you want to clearly articulate a short term and long term goal that logically flow from your experience, and that require an MBA to be realized. It is important that you are actually excited and interested in these goals and are seriously considering this as one potential career path, even if you're not 100% certain about it, because your enthusiasm and passion for whatever you write about will show through in your application.

As I said before, your school list looks good. It's important to consider your personal needs as well. Lots of people go into banking w/o getting their MBA in NYC or Chicago, so I would say you should apply to a mix.

Good luck!
Mili
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbaMissionMili wrote:
Yes you want to clearly articulate a short term and long term goal that logically flow from your experience, and that require an MBA to be realized. It is important that you are actually excited and interested in these goals and are seriously considering this as one potential career path, even if you're not 100% certain about it, because your enthusiasm and passion for whatever you write about will show through in your application.

As I said before, your school list looks good. It's important to consider your personal needs as well. Lots of people go into banking w/o getting their MBA in NYC or Chicago, so I would say you should apply to a mix.

Good luck!
Mili

Hi mili,

Thank u so much.
I fully understand what u said. It is definitely right.

For schools, I added Duke and Darden. Do u think I should added some schools out of Top20 for safe reason?
Send PM
Expert Reply
It depends on your own personal risk tolerance and bandwidth. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

Thanks,
Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
https://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
MBAMission - How friendly towards reapplicants are the following schools?
Harvard
Wharton
Kellogg
Chicago
Columbia
perhaps rank in order?
thanks.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there,

There is really no way to rank these schools per your request -- reapplicants are welcome to apply at each of the programs you listed. Reapplicants do not have any advantage or disadvantage in the application process at any of these schools. The application requirements are slightly different at each school for reapplicants, so pay close attention to those.

Good luck,
Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
https://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Moderator:
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
1452 posts